[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

5 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Maybe I should go to your version 1 and the 2.79 version of the mu plugin?

Oh!... Like I said, I havent done anything in BFA/KSP related in a few months. I did'nt now Blender has released a 3.0alpha already... Thats a major update.
BforArtists, is always based on, and generally only a week or two behind, the latest Blender dev build. They build directly off the Blender master repo, and unfortunately, IIRC, Blender develops right off their master, instead of having development branches, and *then* pushing to master, once the dev build is relatively stable and less buggy. Theres nothing the BFA team can do about that, as its on the Blender side of things.
*THAT* being said, I dont now how active Taniwah has been the past few months on the plugin. The new Blender 3.0alpha may have broken it.

Just for giggles, try renaming the plugin folder, by deleteing the "_master" part of it...

If you downgrade, I'm pretty confident the latest master of the plugin will work with BFA v2.7.0 at least... Possibly v2.8.0. I was using it with 2.7.0 for months, and it was all working, except for the IVA prop creation stuff (that was the most recent thing Taniwha was implementing, and I was far from the best tester for that).... The craft import may/may not work also... IIRC, there may have been major changes to the way KSP does craft files, since he implemented that code, and I know he's been pretty busy, and it wasnt a main priority for the plugin.

You can get those older BFA versions here:
https://github.com/Bforartists/Bforartists/releases

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am trying to use .dds textures for my parts but the textures won’t load in game (gray part in game instead of textured part), but if I use .png, it works just fine, even though blender loads the dds texture perfectly. It only happens with .dds files. Does anyone know why this happens? Is it an error on my part?

I am using Blender 2.92

Edited by IsaQuest

34 minutes ago, IsaQuest said:

Hello, I am trying to use .dds textures for my parts but the textures won’t load in game (gray part in game instead of textured part), but if I use .png, it works just fine, even though blender loads the dds texture perfectly. It only happens with .dds files. Does anyone know why this happens? Is it an error on my part?

I am using Blender 2.92

Are you remembering to flip them vertically before saving them as a DDS? The game reads DDS upside down compared to PNG. Also are you remembering to save them as BC3(Linear, DXT5) when you save them as DDS? Game doesn't recognise other DDS formats. If that isn't in your options then you need the latest Paint.net

On 6/6/2021 at 9:06 PM, IsaQuest said:

It works for me. Last time i tried it was about a week ago before I went on vacation. I can’t import .craft files though.

Interesting, did you do anything special? I used Blender 2.93, followed all instructions and could import neither .mu nor .craft files. After downgrading blender to 2.83, importing both .mu files as well as .craft files worked fine.

I'm a complete n00b at this whole part mod thing, so this may be something completely obvious I'm missing. I want to create a new Variation on some existing stock parts. I thought I could import the MU, then use the UV Map to create a new texture. When I do the import, it seems to work but the mapping is all wrong. Is there a better way to approach this project? The image below is the UV Map for the long 1.25 stock tank. 

15qnM83.png?1

Edited by Krez

22 hours ago, Krez said:

I'm a complete n00b at this whole part mod thing, so this may be something completely obvious I'm missing. I want to create a new Variation on some existing stock parts. I thought I could import the MU, then use the UV Map to create a new texture. When I do the import, it seems to work but the mapping is all wrong. Is there a better way to approach this project? The image below is the UV Map for the long 1.25 stock tank. 

15qnM83.png?1

I am also a total noob, but as DDS files are read upside down compared to png. Try flipping your image vertically (saved upside down, and I mean flipped vertically, not rotated)before importing it in and see if the texture is now in the right places.

On 7/11/2021 at 6:04 AM, mahanako said:

Interesting, did you do anything special? I used Blender 2.93, followed all instructions and could import neither .mu nor .craft files. After downgrading blender to 2.83, importing both .mu files as well as .craft files worked fine.

it stopped working when i came back, i have no idea why it worked before, but i just downgraded to 2.92

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help. I'm trying to edit some .mu files from Tundra Exploration, but some of the models fail with an error when I try and export:

Spoiler

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\operators.py", line 81, in execute
    return export_mu(self, context, **keywords)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\operators.py", line 34, in export_mu
    mu = export.export_object (context.active_object, filepath)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 173, in export_object
    mu.obj = make_obj(mu, obj, "")
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 116, in make_obj
    return make_obj_core(mu, obj, path, muobj)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 105, in make_obj_core
    child = make_obj(mu, o, path)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 116, in make_obj
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 105, in make_obj_core
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 84, in make_obj_core
    muobj = type_handlers[type(obj.data)](obj, muobj, mu)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 316, in handle_mesh
    muobj.shared_mesh = make_mesh(mu, obj)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 234, in make_mesh
    mumesh = make_mumesh(mesh, submeshes, vertex_data, vertex_map, num_verts)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 204, in make_mumesh
    if tangents[0] != None:
IndexError: list index out of range

Other simpler objects can be exported no problems. Does anyone know what is going on here?

2 hours ago, RealTimeShepherd said:

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help. I'm trying to edit some .mu files from Tundra Exploration, but some of the models fail with an error when I try and export:

Reveal hidden contents

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\operators.py", line 81, in execute
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\operators.py", line 34, in export_mu
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 173, in export_object
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 84, in make_obj_core
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 316, in handle_mesh
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 234, in make_mesh
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.90\2.90\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 204, in make_mumesh
    if tangents[0] != None:

Other simpler objects can be exported no problems. Does anyone know what is going on here?

The current blender doesn't like the last iteration of the .mu import program, you need an older one. It has been shown to work with older BforArtist2 (which is a fork of blender with a better UI). The 2.7 version can install it under "Testing".

16 hours ago, ColdJ said:

The current blender doesn't like the last iteration of the .mu import program, you need an older one. It has been shown to work with older BforArtist2 (which is a fork of blender with a better UI). The 2.7 version can install it under "Testing".

Hey @ColdJ, thanks for helping me in multiple threads! :)

I've downloaded version 2.7 of BForArtists and installed the mu addon. I get this error when trying to export a mu file:

Spoiler

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\operators.py", line 81, in execute
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\operators.py", line 34, in export_mu
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 173, in export_object
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 116, in make_obj
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 105, in make_obj_core
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 116, in make_obj
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 105, in make_obj_core
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 84, in make_obj_core
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 316, in handle_mesh
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 234, in make_mesh
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 204, in make_mumesh
    if tangents[0] != None:

I'm stumped!

1 hour ago, RealTimeShepherd said:

Hey @ColdJ, thanks for helping me in multiple threads! :)

I've downloaded version 2.7 of BForArtists and installed the mu addon. I get this error when trying to export a mu file:

Hide contents

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\operators.py", line 81, in execute
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\operators.py", line 34, in export_mu
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 173, in export_object
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\export.py", line 84, in make_obj_core
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 316, in handle_mesh
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 234, in make_mesh
  File "C:\Program Files\Bforartists 2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons\io_object_mu\export_mu\mesh.py", line 204, in make_mumesh
    if tangents[0] != None:

I'm stumped!

Sorry, but now your past my experience level. Either @taniwha or @Stone Blue might be able to help you. Added in under the "Testing" Add on section, as per Stone Blue's instructions, worked for me. I think they may be further back in this thread but I am not sure. Hi Stone Blue if you read this. I hope I am not being annoying if I send someone your way for help. Let me know if you have any concerns.

I can confirm that the last iteration of the *.mu plugin will work in BforArtists 2.70 but not 2.80.

Now could someone very clearly explain how I find what layer number an animation is on?

On 7/15/2021 at 9:39 PM, SpaceODY said:

KSP keeps crashing half the time after I export an MU file I edited in blender, know why?

It's hard to know specifically, but in my limited experience it's usually a problem with the model hierarchy but it could be a lot of things. Do you have known good version of the mu to revert to, have there been cfg changes recently? Or is this after you've just imported an existing mu, made small changes and re-exported? 

On 7/23/2021 at 12:44 PM, hypodronic said:

It's hard to know specifically, but in my limited experience it's usually a problem with the model hierarchy but it could be a lot of things. Do you have known good version of the mu to revert to, have there been cfg changes recently? Or is this after you've just imported an existing mu, made small changes and re-exported? 

I imported an existing one then exported

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 7:34 AM, ColdJ said:

Thrust transforms always save at 90degrees from what the were set at (I think clockwise around the y axis) even if you hadn't edited them. Any ideas why?

Yea idk why it happens but as what I've noticed it doesnt affect it in anything 

Hi, Im having a problem with the KSP/Bumped Specular shader, some faces of the mesh are darker than others and in in-game those dark faces doenst recieve/reflect light, any ideas?
Example:
unknown.png?width=437&height=473

Blue faces are perfect, but red faces are those dark faces I mention
Thanks!