[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

8 hours ago, Birdman31 said:

can i just get any version of 2.83 and it will work?

This version of BforArtists 2 (version 2.70) is known to work with the .mu plugin. It is blender with an easier interface. I use it regularly.

Here is the link to download it. Make sure to put it directly in your drive, not in "Programs" so that it doesn't get blocked by permission restrictions.

https://github.com/Bforartists/Bforartists/releases/tag/v2.7.0

From the beginning of this thread, read this first. You would need the other fork.

Then have a look here.

Bforartists 2.7.0 brings the fixes from Blender 2.91.2. It also brings quite a few new features from Blender 2.92 alpha. Like the new geometry node editor. Bforartists 2.7.0 is already based at Blender 2.93 Alpha.

@ArthurKspFan

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, The Brazilian Luigi said:

So, does this work with the newest blender version? No .Craft/.Mu files appear in the import

You've enabled it in Edit>Preferences>Add-ons, right? (Though I can't really say anything about 2.93.x, still using 2.90.1. Works fine for me though.)

1 hour ago, The Brazilian Luigi said:

So, does this work with the newest blender version? No .Craft/.Mu files appear in the import

No it doesn't. But it works in BforArtists2 2.70 if installed under the testing section. I use it all the time It is a free fork of blender with a nicer interface.

17 minutes ago, The Brazilian Luigi said:

How do I send a picture or screenshot

open this site.

https://imgur.com/

Click on "New Post" Top left corner in green. Once that opens, drag your pic from your computer on to the web page screen.

Hover over top right corner of your pic. Click the 3 dots, Click on "Get share links" Then click on 3rd one down "BBCode(forums) button called "Copy Link"

Start comment here, click on insert image from URL, bottom right. Paste link Remove the square brackets and their img contents, then click "insert in post"

It is a messy system, but that is what it takes.

Does this work with KSP mods?

This is the error I get when I try to import stuff

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master\prop\operators.py", line 98, in execute
    return import_prop_op(self, context, **keywords)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master\prop\operators.py", line 44, in import_prop_op
    prop = import_prop(filepath).get_model()
NameError: name 'import_prop' is not defined

8 minutes ago, The Brazilian Luigi said:

Does this work with KSP mods?

This is the error I get when I try to import stuff

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master\prop\operators.py", line 98, in execute
    return import_prop_op(self, context, **keywords)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master\prop\operators.py", line 44, in import_prop_op
    prop = import_prop(filepath).get_model()
NameError: name 'import_prop' is not defined

Don't put Blender/ BforArtist2 2.7 in Program Files. Windows mucks up it's pathway permissions. Install it in a folder directly on your C:\ drive.

4 hours ago, The Brazilian Luigi said:

Does it work with the steam 2.83 version

I don't know, but from every story I have ever heard, you do not want Steam handling these sort of programs, it will stuff them up. Just download BforArtist2 2.7.0 (that specific version only) . Place it in it's own folder on your main drive (do not put it in Program Files as the operating system will stuff up it's permissions.) I gave the link above.  Place the plugin master folder in like this example.

VxN3tMD.png

Then in the program under edit\preferences\testing. tick the box to enable it and tick it's sub boxes so that every thing is loaded properly. You will now have options under import and export for .mu You should also get an export as mu up on the top right of the menu bar across the top. Make sure you have the top of your heirachy selected when you export and make sure all your parts have a material assigned to them or else they won't be a 3d model when you import back in. Good luck.

10 hours ago, JustDark said:

Will this work for 1.12? And if not, are there plans to update it?

Using the system you see in the posts above yours I have built models for several mods that work in 1.12.2 . The changes to KSP have been on the configuration and software side. Models are generally just the same. It is things like the "Thrust point" for engines "intake point" for intakes "Hatch collider" for EVA and the like that may have changed, but all you need do is import a working up to date model, and copy those things across to your build. Check after they are in your heirachy what rotation they are now as most don't have the x,y,z tags. It can be handy after you have sorted direction to put something like a spotlight in the object you are working with's heirachy, as it is obvious which way it is pointing, as long as you don't config it ,it won't have any effect in game. This useful for Thrust Point as for some reason the program rotates it 90 degrees when saving, you can then import your model back in, see which way the light rotated and rotate the point 180 in the opposite direction so that on the next export it is now pointed correctly.

As to the author of the plugin, I have no idea of their plans and it has been some time since anything was said.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Concodroid said:

've made a tutorial for this. It should work for all stock craft and most mod craft, but it's specifically for RWP, so it gives an example of how to fix a craft with the troublesome mod in the RWP modpack (AirplanePlus)

Any chance of a slower, infocus version where you actually explain what you are doing? I could follow a little, but only because I work in BforArtists 2 to do simple modeling. For a complete novice this would be very hard to follow.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Any chance of a slower, infocus version where you actually explain what you are doing? I could follow a little, but only because I work in BforArtists 2 to do simple modeling. For a complete novice this would be very hard to follow.

Sure. I think an easier option would just be a chapter system with descriptions, I'll do it soon-ish.

But still, this is honestly just so if I tell somebody "Try blender", I can just link them this video and they can follow along lol, I don't think I can do a complete novice blender guide yet

Edited by Concodroid

3 hours ago, Concodroid said:

But still, this is honestly just so if I tell somebody "Try blender", I can just link them this video and they can follow along lol, I don't think I can do a complete novice blender guide yet

Thank you. No need to write out full tutorial, just what you did with clear explanation. The bit where you were doing something with shading looked like it would be good to know but I couldn't follow exactly what you were doing, something that looked like deleting a section then reconnecting things I think. Passing on your wisdom to us noobs is great, just that as noobs we don't know what exactly you are pushing to get certain menus or results.