[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

• 2 months later...

Hi @taniwha, hope you are well. Seeing as @CarelessDoughnut is asking a question but didn't get the tag to work I thought I would ask a question too so as to ask at the same time. So far I have added airlocks and ladder colliders by getting them from previous models and transfering them in.

My question is: Is there a way to create those sort of colliders from scratch using the plugin?

13 hours ago, ColdJ said:

My question is: Is there a way to create those sort of colliders from scratch using the plugin?

Just add a collider (via the add menu), then tweak the tag and layer in the object properties (look for Mu Collider). There's no shortcut for ladder/hatch specifically.

13 hours ago, CarelessDoughnut said:

Hey @taniwha, can you decipher this error? I can't see what's wrong with my part. No misplaced brackets in the cfg nor models w/no vertices. I got the newest version with 2.83.

Ugh, no idea. can you add the following just ABOVE the exec line on line 205 in export_mu/animation.py and get me the result?

print(f"XXX exec: {str} locals:{locals}")

Be sure to keep the same indentation or the whole thing will break (syntax error) The XXX is just to help you find the string in any output (you'll probably need to find the blender output console)

9 hours ago, taniwha said:

Just add a collider (via the add menu), then tweak the tag and layer in the object properties (look for Mu Collider). There's no shortcut for ladder/hatch specifically.

Thank you. I see that it is layer 21 for the airlock and Tagged Airlock. Now that I know it makes sense, Like internals being layer 16.

11 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Thank you. I see that it is layer 21 for the airlock and Tagged Airlock. Now that I know it makes sense, Like internals being layer 16.

Yup, that's what you need.

12 hours ago, CarelessDoughnut said:

Like this?

ioFhCHO.png

This is the output:

ilCbdrc.png

Yes, exactly like that. Unfortunately, the line is not in that output. Unfortunately, I don't know where to find it in windows. In linux, since I start blender from the command line, it's just there in the terminal window from which I started blender.

10 hours ago, taniwha said:

Yes, exactly like that. Unfortunately, the line is not in that output. Unfortunately, I don't know where to find it in windows. In linux, since I start blender from the command line, it's just there in the terminal window from which I started blender.

Oh, you mean like a command prompt or a terminal? There is one that comes up during startup, only to close itself after. You can open it back, though.

AjKdSFY.png

13 hours ago, CarelessDoughnut said:

Oh, you mean like a command prompt or a terminal? There is one that comes up during startup, only to close itself after. You can open it back, though.

Thanks, that got the info I needed: typ.mumatprop.color.properties[2].name

Now I need to figure out what's going on.

@taniwha Hi. Your info worked but I found out there is one more step needed.

So for the benefit of anybody seeking info.

Just setting an mu collider to layer 21 and Tagging it as Airlock will give you a working airlock but it will still retain its solid collider properties so you wont be able to get back in. If you also remember to have the boxes marked Trigger and Separate in the mu collider (mu properties) section ticked, then it will work as a proper Airlock.

Hope this helps anyone who is learning.

15 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Just setting an mu collider to layer 21 and Tagging it as Airlock will give you a working airlock but it will still retain its solid collider properties so you wont be able to get back in. If you also remember to have the boxes marked Trigger and Separate in the mu collider (mu properties) section ticked, then it will work as a proper Airlock.

Ah, yes, I forgot that bit, sorry. Thank you.

6 hours ago, CarelessDoughnut said:

Hey, It actually may not be an issue with the importer, but with my .mu, because I remade the whole thing and it just worked without any issues.

I'm glad to hear you got things working, though I'm still concerned about what broke in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Future Astronaut said:

I get this when I try to install it. https://imgur.com/a/J8svbBC @taniwha

Is this using the very latest version of the plugin? If so then it requires a version of Blender or BforArtists that are greater than 3.0

I noticed that the version you have seems to be 2.79

Also do you have it in it's own folder on the main hard drive?

Windows can block permissions of things installed in "Program Files"

13 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Is this using the very latest version of the plugin? If so then it requires a version of Blender or BforArtists that are greater than 3.0

I noticed that the version you have seems to be 2.79

Also do you have it in it's own folder on the main hard drive?

Windows can block permissions of things installed in "Program Files"

This is using the 2.79 branch. I do not have it in Program Files.

10 hours ago, Future Astronaut said:

This is using the 2.79 branch. I do not have it in Program Files.

It is probably a good time to upgrade. @taniwha improved a lot of aspects in the latest version that compensate for some things that use to trip it up.

All the links to the various software can be foung in my thread along with the instructions to install so that everything works.

I think it is your best bet as your problem could be something that is fixed by the newer version.

Good Luck. I hope you get it sorted out.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:03 PM, ColdJ said:

It is probably a good time to upgrade. @taniwha improved a lot of aspects in the latest version that compensate for some things that use to trip it up.

All the links to the various software can be foung in my thread along with the instructions to install so that everything works.

I think it is your best bet as your problem could be something that is fixed by the newer version.

Good Luck. I hope you get it sorted out.

Unfortunately, newer versions of Blender don't work on my old computer.

5 hours ago, Future Astronaut said:

@ColdJ@taniwha When I try to export a model as a .mu file the button to export is grayed out. https://imgur.com/a/efQKViP

That I can't help you with, as even on the simplest mesh that hasn't been given materials or not having the heirachy highlighted, mine is still lit.

Best bet is to post all the steps you went through to install, to make sure you haven't forgotten something. I am assuming you read the instructions on my thread to make sure you covered everything.

I don't know how old your computer is but I run the latest on a Windows 8.1 computer fine.

But details, as many as you can provide so that taniwha has a chance of knowing what might be wrong.

On 10/1/2022 at 2:14 AM, ColdJ said:

That I can't help you with, as even on the simplest mesh that hasn't been given materials or not having the heirachy highlighted, mine is still lit.

Best bet is to post all the steps you went through to install, to make sure you haven't forgotten something. I am assuming you read the instructions on my thread to make sure you covered everything.

I don't know how old your computer is but I run the latest on a Windows 8.1 computer fine.

But details, as many as you can provide so that taniwha has a chance of knowing what might be wrong.

@taniwha 

- I installed it via the installation tool in the Blender preferences.

- I'm using the latest version of Windows 10.

- I have an x64 based HP notebook. 

- I'm using Blender 2.83.2 (later versions do not work on my laptop)

GPU: AMD E2-7110 APU with Radeon R2 Graphics

- Importing .mu files work fine but exporting is grayed out. I imported the .mu model from the SpaceX Barge Lander mod to practice with. I made some modifications, saved it as a .blend file,  and then I tried exporting.