Plugins Manager (+ Steam Workshop)

Hi Everybody

I will suggest Squad team to create Plugins manager in vanilla version (and of course add Steam workshop to KSP will be great too).

It should make KSP life easier, because you remove headache from:

1. choosing plugins from Space Port

2. installing it

3. easy way to disable it

4. link plugins to account to reinstall/update it

You still need to download plugins from the Spaceport and there is no installation involved--I don't think "put folder X in folder Y" can seriously be considered such. You'd only be making the system more complex, by attaching a simple website like the Spaceport to a separate piece of software that you need to run just to install a mod.

Edited by Kimberly

You still need to download plugins from the Spaceport and there is no installation involved--I don't think "put folder X in folder Y can seriously be considered such". You'd only be making the system more complex, by attaching a simple website like the Spaceport to a separate piece of software that you need to run just to install a mod.

Sorry, but in case of Plugins manager (or Steam workshop) not.

System can download, install mod (and update it, check version compatibility), and user can easy delete/disable mod for various situation

You still need to download plugins from the Spaceport and there is no installation involved--I don't think "put folder X in folder Y can seriously be considered such". You'd only be making the system more complex, by attaching a simple website like the Spaceport to a separate piece of software that you need to run just to install a mod.

It is not difficult to allow both options seamlessly (cf Skyrim) but as someone who has released on Steam Workshop - I'd recommend against using it. At the very least look at what other implementations have done wrong (again, e.g. Skyrim).

I remember them saying something like you were going to be able to install mods from within the game. Basically workshop but without actually utilizing workshop so the people who don't use the steam version of the game can mod it all up on their own without difficulties.

Personally, I'd prefer workshop implementations, but I think what they have planned is going to be close enough that it won't really matter. Also, spaceport probably isn't going to be integrated into the game for a while yet.

I remember them saying something like you were going to be able to install mods from within the game. Basically workshop but without actually utilizing workshop so the people who don't use the steam version of the game can mod it all up on their own without difficulties.

Personally, I'd prefer workshop implementations, but I think what they have planned is going to be close enough that it won't really matter. Also, spaceport probably isn't going to be integrated into the game for a while yet.

First of all, users require tools what can do such actions. (In-game or not it doesn't matter, but should be privider out of box).

I have one opinion regarding steam workshop, they should be optional repository, what replicate space port. (So, All published in space port should be added to workshop and vice versa)

The Steam Workshop is not a viable solution for KSP, as it relies on the steam wrapper to provide integration capabilities.

All KSP versions are being maintained DRM-free, and that includes the steam wrapper being removed from KSP as of 0.20- all Steam does for KSP is downloads it and keeps it up to date, it no longer interfaces with it beyond launching the executable.

Plenty of guides exist for how to install mods in KSP, as long as they are compatible it is a basic file copy operation that most people should have no trouble understanding.

The only real automation beyond that to be easily and beneficial would be a system wherein a button in the game menu opened the gamedata folder in your system's file browser, in order to make said data folder easy for users to locate.

The Steam Workshop is not a viable solution for KSP, as it relies on the steam wrapper to provide integration capabilities.

Steam workshop is optional. The suggestion is to create Plugins Manager.

All KSP versions are being maintained DRM-free, and that includes the steam wrapper being removed from KSP as of 0.20- all Steam does for KSP is downloads it and keeps it up to date, it no longer interfaces with it beyond launching the executable.
It wasn't question about DRM. It was about easy maintenance a huge pack of plugins
Plenty of guides exist for how to install mods in KSP, as long as they are compatible it is a basic file copy operation that most people should have no trouble understanding.

Yes, you right. However, If I can do same easier in few clicks, have linked to me list of plugins etc. why should I do it manually?

The only real automation beyond that to be easily and beneficial would be a system wherein a button in the game menu opened the gamedata folder in your system's file browser, in order to make said data folder easy for users to locate.
I haven't see any troubly with this.

There are several plug-in managers that you can download from the spaceport currently.

I'm starting use KSP MOD Admin It's better than nothing, but I found few annoying minuses.

1. No mod updates

2. No mod check version dependency

3. Launcher works, but steam overlay doesn't allowed (if I run from steam all is ok)

4. After relaunch Admin mod I should select downloads directory again

5. There is not useful space port integration via build-in browser.

6. Not user friendly enable/disable functionality

I a primary feature I'd like in a plugin manager is some tools to assist me staying under KSP's limitation of 4 Gb of memory allocation. It could let you know how close you are to the limit, and pause loading at startup (instead of crashing ha!) and let you choose which packs to keep and which to discard, showing you their relative size.

Of course it would be a hell of a lot better if they'd build a 64 executable.

This is a planned feature for the KSP launcher anyway (Spaceport integration)

Steam integration would exclude users who don't have, or don't want, Steam, would require mod makers to update on both Spaceport and Steam workshop and/or fragment the availability of mods, and would divert development resources away from platform level features which would benefit all KSP users without regard to their platform of choice

Or the nonsteamers learn to deal with the fact that the steam workshop is a perfect solution to this. Steam workshop was built to do this.

No need to spend the effort of replicating an existing system.

Or the nonsteamers learn to deal with the fact that the steam workshop is a perfect solution to this. Steam workshop was built to do this.

No need to spend the effort of replicating an existing system.

So you suggest that the ksp devs just ignore the, i guess, major part of the players that dont use steam?

Steam workshop integration wouldn't isolate anyone. Skyrim allows for mods being installed via steam workshop in addition to outside sources like Nexus or wherever else you might find mods for the game.

The only /problem/ with steam workshop integration is that....since they're already planning on integrating Spaceport into the game proper, workshop would be a little redundant, thus needlessly drawing their attention from other things they could be doing.

Like I said I would personally prefer steam workshop integration, but the future spaceport(Spaceport2, I guess) is basically going to be workshop so it's no big deal that they're never going to integrate with workshop.

Steam workshop integration wouldn't isolate anyone. Skyrim allows for mods being installed via steam workshop in addition to outside sources like Nexus or wherever else you might find mods for the game.

The only /problem/ with steam workshop integration is that....since they're already planning on integrating Spaceport into the game proper, workshop would be a little redundant, thus needlessly drawing their attention from other things they could be doing.

Like I said I would personally prefer steam workshop integration, but the future spaceport(Spaceport2, I guess) is basically going to be workshop so it's no big deal that they're never going to integrate with workshop.

The real problem with integrating the steam workshop is, as far as i know, that you would have to fully give in to the steam api and its multitude of bad ideas (DRM etc). You cant have the one without the other i think. So yes, it would still be possible to have both - but it would add yet another level of complexity as there had to be another group of releases to be made:

- Windows

- Linux

- Mac

- Steam Windows

- Steam Mac

(- Steam Linux ?)

The real problem with integrating the steam workshop is, as far as i know, that you would have to fully give in to the steam api and its multitude of bad ideas (DRM etc). You cant have the one without the other i think. So yes, it would still be possible to have both - but it would add yet another level of complexity as there had to be another group of releases to be made:

- Windows

- Linux

- Mac

- Steam Windows

- Steam Mac

(- Steam Linux ?)

I fully agree, that's why I said it's no big deal that they're not going to integrate steam workshop. It'd just add more to their plate which they don't need to worry about 'cause spaceport 2 is essentially going to be a kerbtastic workshop.

But as for steam DRM being a bad idea...I've not experienced a single negative to playing any of my games on steam. In-fact, even when my internet goes out(which it has for extended periods in the past...not so much now that I"m back int he city), I can still play every game I own(as long as they're installed DX ) without fault or inconvenience. Yeah, I agree that DRM is pointless, but Valve has made it such a non-issue by offering so many varied benefits to steam users that steam DRM is a complete non-issue. One small negative for nearly boundless rewards and benefits, even profitability on your steam games(though marginally), now. Especially if you own, play or just mod TF2 or DotA2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.