I must end flight in space

TYRT

He "cheated" by hacking the persistence file. For someone who's averse to just killing the mission with the big red X in the tracking screen (why not just hack the Kerbals to not be lost?) it doesn't seem sensible - but far be it from me to tell others how to play. I'd have at least tried a rescue first.

Just now I sent Jeb up in a pod to test the new prototype RCS space scooter.

screenshot37.png

screenshot38.png

At about that point I realized that I blithely forgot to put any parachutes. At all. Anywhere. And the rocket does not have enough control authority, not to mention available fuel, to safely land.

What I do have, is a station in orbit. The core of one. It doesn't have any parachutes, or even accomodations, but it's still a better place to be, at least because it has a huge supply of RCS fuel for the scooter. It's kind of far away though.

A few long orbital maneuvers later, including a very dumb near miss where I ensured an orbital intersect but forgot to match velocity (nothing says "oh crap" like 30 tons of steel and explosives whistling past you at half the speed of sound), Jeb finally made it. Literally by the seat of his pants.

screenshot43.png

My next project? Sending up a rescue mission. It'll be the exact same rocket. With a new model of the space scooter, and a parachute-equipped escape pod.

"End Flight"? I don't even know why we had it in the first place. ^_^

Funfacts:

There's a 'terminate flight' button in the tracking station that activates if your craft isn't landed on Kerbin.

They added a new 'difficulty toggle' that enables or disables permadeath for kerbalnauts. While there's no UI setting to toggle it (meaning you have to manually edit the persistence file to change it), it defaults to 'off', meaning that 'dead' Kerbalnauts will come back to life after a period of time by default.

In short, you could've just used terminate flight, at the cost of temporarily not being able to use the six Kerbalnauts onboard.

When you recover or terminate flight, is there any way to see the flight statistics? When you crash you get the flight info like "Total Distance" and "Total Ground Distance" which are sometimes used in challenges etc.

But as far as I can tell, there is no way to get that info if you just recover a flight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.