[AAR] The Space Race

czokletmuss

I haven't played with a lot of component mods, and I was going to suggest the clouds and city lights mod... but I see you're already using it :) It was just a pretty sunny day when Jeb splashed down. Most of what I use are adjuncts that don't really affect the visual look of it from your point of view. Actions on the Fly, Editor Extensions, Root mod, etc. They might help you during the play through but aren't going to affect play balance or change the look of it.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Well, I suggest NovaPunch for the Titan and Saturn rockets, I suggest CSS for the Space Shuttles, and somhagi's Sum Dum Service Module for Orions, if you get that far.

EDIT: I will get the links up in a moment.

EDIT II: All of 'em up.

NovaPunch with the other mods is too much for my PC. Though I have to admit I don't have enough parts for Apollo program right now. Either way, thanks!

KSPX, but you probably already know that one.

Yup :)

In other news, today is the National Independence Day in Poland, which means not only cool polandball reddit site but also NEW CHAPTER, which will be released today as well :)

Niech się święci Dzień Niepodległości! (Let the Independece Day be celebrated!)

UPwPcWs.jpg

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51880-0-22-Engine-Ignitor-%28V3-0-1-Released-Nov-2-2013%29

This limits how many times you can restart an engine. Seems to be right up this AAR's alley.

-Will

Cool! Thank you very much :)

Next chapter is going to be about the Reds, so it needs more time and work (not so many materials in English).

Ãœðть àþÑÂÑÂøÑÂ!

That's one of the few things I can say in Russian.

Oh and ôþ ÑÂòøôðýøÑÂ

I don't really know Russian - although it's quite similiar to Polish in term of speaking (like, let's say, Italian is similar to Spanish) I never learnt the cyrylic alphabet. But I have a feeling that before this AAR is over, I'll know it quite good :) Besides, I think it's one of the prettiest European languages.

yEdh07v.jpg

CHAPTER 7

1962: OCTOBER CRISIS

80yOEzb.jpg

25th October, 1962

ÑÂþòõршõýýþ ÑÂõúрõтýþ

Top secret information.

Disclosure of state secrets is considered treason to the motherland and punishable by death by shooting with confiscation of all property, or with mitigating circumstances deprivation of liberty for a term of 10 years with confiscation of property (article 58-1a of KSFSR Penal Code).

Minutes of meeting between Chief Designer of OKB-1 S.K., Chief Designer of OKB-52 Vladimir N. Chelomey and Chief Designer of OKB-456 Valentin P. Glushko.

Meeting topic – future development of UKSR space program.

EXCERPTS

The meeting was held in the office of [CLASSIFIED], [CLASSIFIED] near Moscow, 25 October 1961, at 17:00.

PRESENT

Experimental Design Bureau OKB-1

- S.K., Chief Designer of OKB-1

- Vasily P. Mishin, vicedirector of OKB-1

Experimental Design Bureau OKB-52

- Vladimir N. Chelomey, Chief Designer of OKB-52

Experimental Design Bureau OKB-456

- Valentin P. Glushko, Chief Designer of OKB-45

VLADIMIR: I can't believe I agreed for this pointless meeting. What are we supposed to discuss here? We've been through this hundreds of times and I doubt you've changed your mind, S.K.

S.K.: And you are correct, Vladimir Nikolayevich – I did not changed my mind. And I didn't do it because this is the only way which can lead to the Mun. But to secure it, we need better finding. You all know that resources we have are-

VLADIMIR: How dare you! You're still trying to force this... monster of a rocket of yours on us all. It won't happen, comrade Chief Designer – your N1 won't work.

S.K.: How so?

VALENTIN: Because of the wrong fuel. I'm telling you this for months – cryogenic liquid oxium is not a solution if you want good oxidiser. Filling the rocket with it is too expensive and time consuming and yet to insist to use it with kerosene. The N-1 requires high-performance closed cycle engines and this mixture cause great design problems. My solution, on the other hand…

S.K.: Here we go again.

VALENTIN: Yes! Because I am right about this. Only the hypergolic fuel, not cryogenic, is good enough to get required performance. Nitrogen tetroxide and unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine can be used in room temperature and-

S.K.: They are extremely corrosive and toxic, Valentin.

VALENTIN: So what? They don't cause any instability problems in engines, they burn much better and-

S.K.: If there is any spill, accident or even booster explosion, hundreds of people will die or will be horribly burned.

VALENTIN: It's the price we pay gladly for the Mun!

S.K.: You are willing to pay this price, Valentin?

VLADIMIR: You are both wrong, comrades. This pathetic N1 will be a failure, no matter what fuel it's going to use. Not that this is surprising – do I have to remind you, S.K., that the army judged your amazing rocket to be a complete mistake?

S.K.: Only because it was the first intercontinental ballistic rocket. It did put Sputnik in orbit though.

VLADIMIR: I'm not talking about R-7, I'm talking about R-9. How many they wanted you to produce? 54 rockets? I build for them over 800 rockets, S.K. It's mine rocket, UR-100, that was the best.

VALENTIN: You're forgetting about something.

VLADIMIR: Of course Valentin Petrovich helped me with the project...

VALENTIN: Helped? I designed the engines for you! And for his R-9 rocket too!

VLADIMIR: …but still my point stands. Your designs are worthless, S.K.

S.K.: Funny that – my rockets are sending people to space while yours may only one day send death to some innocent city.

VLADIMIR: Innocent?! You're talking about imperialistic Kermaricans, who started the blockade of Kuba and who want nothing else than to wipe us all out. They fear the revolution and they'll stop at nothing to crush it for good. So yeas, I'm happy to give our mighty army rockets to fight with the kapitalists, S.K.

S.K.: Enough with the politics, Vladimir. I've gathered you all to receive a straight answer to my question – are you going to support my plea to the Party for more funds or not? Valentin?

VALENTIN: If you admit your mistake and change the fuel, than I'll consider this. If you don't... well, I've already made my position completely clear to the Central Committee.

S.K.: You know I can't do this. Resigning from the liquid oxium now would cost both time and money, the resources we can't waste if we are to beat the Kermaricans to the Mun.

VALENTIN: You won't get to the Mun with cryogenic fuel, S.K.

S.K.: Von Braun's team is already building-

VALENTIN: I don't care what the kapitalists are doing! The combustion instability will - you know what, this is pointless. Are you going to resign from LOX and switch to nitrogen tetroxide and dimethylhydrazine?

S.K.: I can't, Valentin.

VALENTIN: Than you know my answer.

S.K.: What about you, Vladimir?

VLADIMIR: You've always been a star of our space program, S.K. First ICBM, first satellite, first man in space. You do this all and befriend First Secretary and you think you can do anything, do you? Well you can't. You won't send people to the Mun, not using the N1 – you'll never get my support.

S.K.: In that case-

VLADIMIR: You're not a genius you believe you are, S.K. And it is I, Vladimir Nikolayevich Chelomey, will prove it to you and to the whole world by sending Soviet kosmonauts on my own rocket.

S.K.: Excuse me?

VALENTIN: My Design Bureau will cooperate with Chelomey. We will create new rocket, much powerful than any before using my engines.

S.K.: What?!

VLADIMIR: Yes, S.K. We will build UR-500 and with LK-1 we will perform first cis-munar flight and than we will land with LK-3. We will bring glory to the Kerbal Union and kommunism while your fame will fade and die, S.K. And you can't do nothing about this.

S.K.: You've been conspiring behind my back all this time?!

VALENTIN: Your pride must've blinded you if you didn't think we will do it.

S.K.: Enough of this! The meeting is over. Get out, both of you!

VLADIMIR: You'll loose, S.K. And it's I, Vladimir Nikolayevich Chelomey, who swear that we-

S.K.: The Kermaricans are our enemy, you idiots!

VALENTIN: They are but we will get kosmonaut to the Mun, not you. Voskhod and Soyuz will be your last achievements – if they succeed.

S.K.: GET OUT!

VASILY PAVLOVICH: Chief Designer, should we-

S.K.: The nerve of those morons! Stupid, ignorant, jealous losers! Call the driver, Vasily. We're leaving.

SMhkGgP.jpg

SASHA: Here, Chief Designer, allow me to open the door to the limousine. They are reinforced, so they are quite heavy.

S.K.: Thank you, Sasha.

VASILY PAVLOVICH: Excuse me, Chief Designer, but where are we going?

S.K.: To Kerblin. You've heard that, Sasha?

S.K.: Da, comrade Chief Designer.

VASILY PAVLOVICH: You… you want to ask the Central Committee to see you?

S.K.: Central Committee? Ha!

VASILY PAVLOVICH: :gasp: You want to – you want to speak to the First Secretary? Today?

S.K.: What's wrong with that?

VASILY PAVLOVICH: But the Kuban conflict… The Kermarican president is crazy, he ordered the blockade knowing that we can't let them to this and abandon our Kuban comrades. kapitalists are preparing for war. And you know that they have more missiles than we have. If they decide to attack us-

S.K.: The nuclear fire will kill us all. The third world war, the last and the quickest one, made possible only by mine and von Braun's rockets… Well, if this is what's going to happen, my dear Vasily, than all is lost and we don't have to worry. If it won't happen however, now it's the best time to speak to the First Secretary and try to convince him.

VASILY PAVLOVICH: But you said before that without Glushko and Chelomey on our side the military won't support us. And without military support-

S.K.: The N1 is dead and our dreams of the Mun with it. I remember what I said, Vasily. I know politics – I've been playing this game for years.

VASILY PAVLOVICH: So why are you doing this? The First Secretary will never agree to increase fundings for our OKB if the other designers will continue to claim that they can build cheaper and better rockets than we.

S.K.: Unfortunately for our cause you're right, Vasily. We're in a hopeless situation. If we don't do something, I'm afraid that even if we gain money in the end it'll be too late. And without Glushko's engines and time to test the rocket we will loose.

VASILY PAVLOVICH: So what do you want to say to him? This meeting was our last chance to get them all to support N1. We're completely out of moves.

S.K.: Not exactly.

VASILY PAVLOVICH: Chief Designer?

S.K.: For all this years of political scheming and struggle against the bureaucrats, the army and the politicians there was one weapon, one trick I hoped I'll never have to use. The last, ultimate weapon... The time has come to use it, and though I fear the consequences, it must be done – after the treachery of Glushko and Chelomey there's simply no other way. The Kermaricans are

VASILY PAVLOVICH: What is it, Chief Designer?

S.K.: Honesty.

vLfHEkv.jpg

26th October, 1962

Alright, I have one shot to do this. And when I start, there is no turning back. Damnit. I hope it will work, I really do. I've never done this before, I wish he-

GUARD: Tovarishch Chief Designer? The First Secretary will see you now.

S.K.: Spasiba.

Here we go. I hope he's in a good mood, I hope – damn! What am I doing? I'll ruin everything, there's no way it's going to work. Don't go in there, Sergei, it's not to late to turn around. But he already decided to give me 20 minutes of his time – if I change my mind now he'll be furious that I disrespect him. It may end badly. Ah, õñðть! I'm going in.

KHRUSHCHEV: Ah, my favorite rocket engineer has arrived! Come in, come in!

S.K.: Tovarishch First Secretary.

He's in a good mood. Why he's in a good mood? Aren't the Kermanicans preparing for nuclear war?

KHRUSHCHEV: Let's skip the formalities, Sergei Pavlovich.

S.K.: As you wish… tovarishch Nikitia Sergeyevich.

KHRUSHCHEV: I don't have much time, so I hope this meeting won't take too long and that we will discuss this... most important matter, as you put it, rather quickly. You got me interested, Sergei Pavlovich, I'll give you that, especially by asking for a conversation in face to face.

I had to, Chelomey's friends in the military have eyes and ears everywhere. Why else do you always play music during unofficial meetings?

KHRUSHCHEV: I'm deeply sorry that I couldn't make that happen but you know how he is when it comes to your rockets. You remember my son?

S.K.: Naturally, tovarishch Nikitia Sergeyevich. We've met the day when I showed the R-7 to the Politbiuro. Sergei Nikitich.

:handshake:

SERGEI NIKITICH: Chief Designer. It's a real pleasure to meet you again!

KHRUSHCHEV: Yes, yes. He was so amazed by this precious rocket of yours that he decided to become rocket designer just like you. He's finishing he's PhD in engineering just now and who knows, maybe he'll work with you one day.

SERGEI NIKITICH: I would love that! But I told my father that I don't want him to use his position for me to be hired. I want to earn my place.

KHRUSHCHEV: Haha, yes, that's my Sergei. Still naive but he's a good man. I was hoping you may consider adding him to your team.

SERGEI NIKITICH: Father!

KHRUSHCHEV: So that he may learn. Internship, not job. Of course, only if there is such possibility…

I would have to be suicidal to refuse and you know it, you old toad.

S.K.: Of course, tovarishch Nikitia Sergeyevich, this wouldn't be a problem at all. I hope that Sergei Nikitich will find work with me interesting.

KHRUSHCHEV: Haha, he surely will – you're his personal hero, you know? The man who send the first satellite and kosmonaut to space, the man who gave the Kerbal Union weapon to defend against kapitalism!

S.K.: I'm just building rockets, tovarishch Nikitia Sergeyevich.

KHRUSHCHEV: :smiles: You and your false modesty. Ah, Sergei, it's so good to meet you again. You've no idea from what hell you've pull me out.

He doesn't look good. The situation must be worse than I thought. Could the Kermaricans really attack?

KHRUSHCHEV: Since the beginning of this madness I have slept maybe a dozen hours – meetings, discussions, letters, telephones, ambassadors. Ah! What munacy has provoked Kenned to blockade Kuba? He know damn well that we can't let it happen without consequences. He offended not only Kerbal Union, but the all komunnists and workers on the planet!

SERGEI NIKITICH: We did put our rockets near their coast, father.

5hzf3Qs.jpg

KHRUSHCHEV: Because they have theirs near ours for years! We need to defend ourselves from the imperialistic aggression. We need a deterrent. And how could we refuse our comrades on Kuba? They fear the power of the worker class. They were laughing at our revolution – poor, backward Krussia trying to modernize. But after successful revolution in Kina and know on Kuba they're not laughing anymore. Ha! Now we have a weapon to wipe this smile out of their faces once and for good – thanks to you, Sergei Pavlovhich. Your work is invaluable for kommunism and we'll never forget that.

How many thousands you've sentenced to death with a smile on that stupid face, Nikita?

S.K.: Thank you, tovarishch Nikitia Sergeyevich.

KHRUSHCHEV: And we need to defend ourselves! Do you know their president ordered a DEFCON 2? Do you know what this is, Sergei?

S.K.: I don't know, tovarishch Nikitia Sergeyevich.

KHRUSHCHEV: The penultimate level of alert in their military. They are fueling the bombers as we speak! Their rockets are ready for launch. Don't they realize that a global nuclear war leaves no winners? We don't have as many rockets as they do – yet – but we have enough to erase all the cities in the East Coast. Are they stupid or what?! And our Central Committee – ah, don't get me started. These idiots want to show our strength - “we have to show them that the Kerbal Union is to be fearedâ€Â, “we need to send another fleetâ€Â. Morons! They and these hawkish generals who can't wait until the whole planet is consumed by fire. I even talked with Chairman Mao. Do you know what he said? “The Kermaricans want war? We give them war!â€Â. Foolishness and stupidity! Why they want to provoke Kermarica so bad?

SERGEI NIKITICH: He was always like this, father. Remember his speech five years ago when he was visiting Moscow? “I’m not afraid of nuclear war. There are 2.7 billion people in the world; it doesn’t matter if some are killed. Khina has a population of 600 million; even if half of them are killed, there are still 300 million people left. I’m not afraid of anyone.â€Â

KHRUSHCHEV: How stupid can he be! You see, Sergei Pavlovich? I'm surrounded by suicidal idiots. Ah, I'm glad you've came here, it's a nice change after talking with nobody else but a babbling bumbling band of baboons. So, what is it that you want to discuss with the First Secretary, eh?

This is it – my last chance. I must be careful – one false step and it's over.

S.K.: Tovarishch First Secretary, few months ago you ordered me to gain consensus amongst the various Experimental Design Bureaus about our Mun program.

KHRUSHCHEV: I remember. I hope they didn't make you a lot of trouble, eh? Chelomey and Glushko?

You knew damn well they won't agree. You fear that getting more money for the Mun program would make you enemies in the military faction of the Central Committee – you just wanted alibi, you old liar.

S.K.: Quite the contrary, tovarishch First Secretary.

KHRUSHCHEV: Oh? How's so?

S.K.: May I speak my mind, tovarishch First Secretary?

KHRUSHCHEV: Sure, Sergei Pavlovich. Go ahead.

S.K.: Rockets are the pinnacle of our technological development. Thanks to their unmatched velocity and range they are a terrific weapon – even from thousand of kilometers they can still deliver their… payload in a matter of minutes. This combined with the power of atom has shaped the world. But there is more to rocket than just deadly force.

KHRUSHCHEV: I'm listening.

S.K.: When you told me to create intercontinental ballistic missile, I created R-7. But the same rocket put the Sputnik in orbit and later Yuri Gagarin. And what's important, the reaction of the West was even more hysteric than after the first detonation of Kerbal Union's fission bomb.

KHRUSHCHEV: Ah yes, I remember this good. The kapitalists shat their pants! They were terrified by the brilliance of kommunistic mind. They've lost the illusion of being invulnerable – and they finally recognized as as the leading world superpower!

Just look at him – one of the most powerful man in the world and he still feel the need to prove that we aren't worse than the West. Would this inferiority complex in our society ever vanish?

KHRUSHCHEV: Those were good days, Sergei Pavlovich. Thanks to you.

Thanks to me... I gave you a toy and you started boasting like a little child. You scared Kermaricans so much that they have now two or three times as many rockets as we do. And now the whole world is on the brink of nuclear annihilation… How could we allow it to happen?

wxvMTaA.jpg

S.K.: Thank you, tovarishch First Secretary. The point is, they were not only terrified by it, not all of them. In time, they were inspired by it – the space era began and they were eager to go to space like we did, even if only to compete with us. And then their president challenged us to go even further, to go to the Mun. And I fear, tovarishch First Secretary...

KHRUSHCHEV: Yes?

Don't chicken now! Say it!

S.K.: I fear that we will loose the race to the Mun.

KHRUSHCHEV: What?

S.K.: Please, let me explain! They spend more money on their program, they have one central agency for space exploration and their chief designer, von Braun, doesn't have to fight with the others every time he wants to do something. Glushko and Chelomey won't support me, tovarishch First Secretary – they want to develop their own program, their own rocket and their own lander. If we split our resources, we will loose.

KHRUSHCHEV: The Kermaricans have two programs, Gemini and, err, Akollo and they're doing just fine. Do you want to say that the kommunist engineers are worse than kapitalists?

S.K.: Not at all, tovarishch First Secretary. But we need more resources. I need more money and more people. The Kermaricans have already begun working on their Mun rocket and my N1 is still on the drawing board.

KHRUSHCHEV: I'm sorry, but if other designers don't support your rocket, I won't give you more money. You need to cooperate.

S.K.: But they don't want to cooperate! Their schemings-

KHRUSHCHEV: Enough. No consensus, no additional resources. End of discussion.

S.K.: :sigh:

KHRUSHCHEV: Is there anything more you want to discuss?

Now. Drop the bomb! Say it!

S.K.: Yes, tovarishch First Secretary. I think I found a way to win the Cold War.

KHRUSHCHEV: Haha! You did?! Look at him, my son – brilliant mind in every domain, be it rocket engineering or politics. Oh, you made me laugh, Sergei Pavlovich. All right then, tell me – how can we win the Cold War? I want to hear how you solved this issue.

S.K.: We-

KHRUSHCHEV: No, wait! Let me guess – it includes rockets, doesn't it?

S.K.: In a way. Tovarishch First Secretary, our economy will never be as powerful as this of the Kermarica...

What am I saying?! Change the subject!

S.K.: …because they exploit the worker class, of course, and don't share the profits with the masses, unlike we do.

KHRUSHCHEV: Hmph.

S.K.: And stronger economy can produce more tanks, more guns, more bombs – and more rockets. But we have other advantage – our ideas. The kommunism has to win, there is no other possibility in a dialectic history. The feudalism has fallen and the kapitalism will fall soon too. But how we can accelerate this? By inspiring people. The Third World countries are, for the first time in decades, free from the imperialistic oppression of their colonizators. They still have to decide which side they will take – imperialistic or kommunistic in this new world. And what can inspire them, what can convince them? The power of our military? The strength of our economy? I think that what can really inspire and impress them is not here on Kerbin, with all its poverty and misery – but up there. Tovarishch First Secretary, putting a kommunist on the Mun will prove to everyone – everyone – that kommunism is a better socioeconomic system than kapitalism. This is the ultimate achievement, unmatched in the history of kerbalkind – and who'll reach the Mun first, will write a glorious chapter in this history. Yes, we can spend more money on tanks and soldiers, but will this inspire working class in South Kermarica? In Afrika? In Kasia? Will they start to believe by looking at our monuments here – or would they look up, find the Mun on the night sky and start to dream about a better world? World without hunger, world without poverty, world without kapitalists – a kommunistic world, united in its ambition to conquer the heavens itself?

cKYRKi2.jpg

KHRUSHCHEV: My, my – you're not only an engineer but quite a speaker as well.

S.K.: If we are to win the Mun and the Cold War, we need to fight not with the bullets, but with ideas, Tovarishch First Secretary. That's why I'm saying these words – I believe that Kerbal Union can put a man on the Mun and return him safely to home before the Kermaricans do. But only if I have a freedom to work.

KHRUSHCHEV: So, hypothetically, what would this freedom of yours consist?

S.K.: First of all, one Experimental Design Bureau will become the leader of the Mun program – no more infighting, no more struggle, no more games. All engineers united in one desire – to construct Mun spacecraft. Of course, it will be my OKB-1.

Why is he smiling? Am I loosing this?

S.K.: Second of all, increased funding. To even match the current Kermarican progress, I would need twice as much money, to surpass them at least three times as much.

KHRUSHCHEV: Ha!

S.K.: We've lost a lot of time already, we can't afford to waste it even more. And third, one Mun program – mine Mun program. Give me all this, tovarishch First Secretary, and I'll give you the Mun.

KHRUSHCHEV: You ask for a lot, Sergei Pavlovich.

S.K.: Is it too much of a price for a Mun and eternal glory for the kommunism?

KHRUSHCHEV: Enough with talking, Sergei Pavlovich. I've heard what you say. But there is still the issue of Glushko and Chelomey – what about them?

Crap, I thought he forgot about them after listening to this propaganda bull****!

S.K.: They need to cooperate with me, whether they want it or not. For the Kerbal Union.

KHRUSHCHEV: Ha! Now you sound like an old kommunist.

S.K.: I beg you, tovarishch First Secretary! If we don't do something, the Kermaricans-

KHRUSHCHEV: Silence. You've been talking long enough. Now let me think…

So this is it. In a minute I'll find out whether N1 is cancelled and my dreams with it. Would he punish me for this impudency? Maybe I've said too much. What if this was the biggest mistake of my life? What if-

KHRUSHCHEV: Listen, Sergei Pavlovich – I'm going to give a green light for your N1 Mun rocket.

He agreed! HE AGREED!

KHRUSHCHEV: And I'll give you more money – how much, this will be decided by a Central Committee.

Yes! YES! Oh, I'm so happy!

KHRUSHCHEV: But! But there won't be a single Mun program. It's too much risk – if your N1 won't work, we need an alternative. The Chelomey's rocket is also able of sending a kosmonaut near the Mun, as he assured me-

Chelomey was talking to him abou this?! So he knew! He knew about everything!

KHRUSHCHEV: I won't put everything on one horse in this race. But you convinced me – maybe indeed your rockets will bring us victory in the long term. Who knows?

S.K.: Thank you, tovarishch First Secretary, thank you! And the leading role of OKB-1, will it-

KHRUSHCHEV: In a way, yes. Your bureau will get authority sufficient to provide you everything you need for your program. Just like Chelomey's.

So this is what's this all is about! He want to take some money from the military faction and give it to us, but he fears that in case of failure they'll blame him for this. And with two space programs, even if one rocket will be a complete failure, he can still pick the winner and say it's always been his favorite and blame the other bureau for everything. You're smart, smart old cat Nikita.

S.K.: I- I understand.

KHRUSHCHEV: Good. You've never disappointed me before, Siergei Pavlovich, but know this – in case of failure, there will be consequences. Do you understand?

S.K.: Da, tovarishch First Sec-

KHRUSHCHEV: Mhm. Now if you excuse me, there are other, more lethal rockets that need to be taken care of. Come on, my son. You may leave now, Sergei Pavlovich.

S.K.: Spasiba, tovarishch First Secretary.

KHRUSHCHEV: Mhm. Chief Designer Kerbalyov?

He used my surname - he never does that!

S.K.: Tovarishch First Secretary?

KHRUSHCHEV: Can it be done? Can you really give me the Mun?

S.K.: Yes.

KHRUSHCHEV: Mhm. I hope so, Sergei Pavolvich, for your sake. The Central Committee is not as forgiving as I am.

KA1olSi.jpg

yEdh07v.jpg

Edited by czokletmuss

Go UKSR! Beat the Kapitalists! Also loved the 'babbling bumbling band of baboons'.

EDIT: Wait its from Harry Potter? I'm slowly piecing the puzzle of the bumbling band of baboons together.

Edited by tom1499

EDIT: Wait its from Harry Potter? I'm slowly piecing the puzzle of the bumbling band of baboons together.

I usually put few pop-cultural references here and there :)

EDIT: I wonder what would be the reaction from Russian readers for this chapter (if there are any) - putting together all the details wasn't easy ( don't know Russian, so I was searching Egnlish only) and I hope I didn't make any big mistakes.

Edited by czokletmuss

I really, really want the UKSR to land on the moon, even if it's after the Kermericans. In my personal opinion, while they weren't the first to the Moon in reality, they still won the space race by sheer number of firsts. First satellite, first living thing, first man, first object to impact the moon...

:(

Looking forward to your next update.

Is this completely based on the Space Race? I mean, you are going to make it as it was in real life?

He wrote Jeb's Aurora 8 mission as the 4th and last Mercury mission, omitting 2 more flights that actually happened later in the RL program (Sigma 7 and Faith 7) Not only that, he replaced several Mercury astronauts with Bill, Bob, Jeb, and Buzz and Neil. Plus, no Mercury mission (or any manned mission ever for that matter, I'm not too sure on that) ever went into a polar orbit. So... I'm kinda confused too. I guess its about changing some things to fit with the whole KSP theme :P

likeing it so far :) (also have some mods you might want to look at on the previous page)

Thanks, I'll check them :)

Is this completely based on the Space Race? I mean, you are going to make it as it was in real life?
I'm kinda confused too. I guess its about changing some things to fit with the whole KSP theme :P

Exactly. I'm not going to write a history book - I'm playing a game with little green men, for Kod's sake. So no, it's not gonna be recreation with every detail just as it happened. But it's not goint to be just "inspired by" - I want to keep the spirit of the Space Race period AND to faithfully represent all the political, social, economical and technical details.

BUT! Kerbin is not Earth, so you shouldn't expect everything to happen exactly as it happened IRL. Besides, I'm writing a story - I need characters, I need conflict and I need a plot (kinda). With just recreating there are no surprsises, nothing new - we all know what's going to happen, how and when 'cause we know the history. Well, don't expect everything to happen on Kerbin just as it happened on Earth ;)

He wrote Jeb's Aurora 8 mission as the 4th and last Mercury mission, omitting 2 more flights that actually happened later in the RL program (Sigma 7 and Faith 7)

Yup. Why? Well, I guess Kerbals would get bored of repetitive flights of the same primitive rocket, so after they gain enough science and experience, they moved to another program (which is Gemini, of course).

Not only that, he replaced several Mercury astronauts with Bill, Bob, Jeb, and Buzz and Neil.

Yeah, about that - I'm going to retcon it a little bit in the near future. I've had a slightly different vision of this AAR when I started it.

Plus, no Mercury mission (or any manned mission ever for that matter, I'm not too sure on that) ever went into a polar orbit.

This is a good example. There was planned a 3 day mission (Mercury-Atlas 10) and there were plans about sending Apollo on a lunar polar orbit. So Aurora 8 is based on some real plans slightly twisted for the sake of the story, my enjoynment (equatorial orbits are boring when you do them for a 123845th time) and to fit KSP theme (science from flying above ice caps).

So to sum it up - "The Space Race" is docufiction/mockumentary/alternative history/inspired by RL events.... IN SPACE! :)

BTW - if you are interested in a good documentary about Space Race, I recommend this BBC mini-series (4 episodes):

Edited by czokletmuss

I really, really want the UKSR to land on the moon, even if it's after the Kermericans. In my personal opinion, while they weren't the first to the Moon in reality, they still won the space race by sheer number of firsts. First satellite, first living thing, first man, first object to impact the moon...

:(

Looking forward to your next update.

Well, the USA won the race by the rules they wrote themselves. 'THE' space race, for the USA, was a race to the moon.

þчõýь хþрþшþ!

I really want the N-1 to work, because it's a amazing rocket.

Úþóôð ñуôõт ÑÂûõôующøù þôøý øôõт?

Have there been any schedule changes for The Space Race lately? I think you said something about 1 a week or 1 per 3 Grand Tour AARs, but that was awhile ago, so... any update on this?

(On a completely and utterly unrelated note, how many people have mentioned that your avatar looks exactly like a Voltorb? :confused:)

Well, the USA won the race by the rules they wrote themselves. 'THE' space race, for the USA, was a race to the moon.

tumblr_mu3ww3UelO1szo7eyo1_1280.png

þчõýь хþрþшþ!

I really want the N-1 to work, because it's a amazing rocket.

Úþóôð ñуôõт ÑÂûõôующøù þôøý øôõт?

How about the N1F :P
N1F is the best rocket to work on.

I can only say that it'll definitely make an appearence :)

Have there been any schedule changes for The Space Race lately? I think you said something about 1 a week or 1 per 3 Grand Tour AARs, but that was awhile ago, so... any update on this?

(On a completely and utterly unrelated note, how many people have mentioned that your avatar looks exactly like a Voltorb? :confused:)

Hey, two days ago I've finished giant (8 pages in Word) chapter for the Space Race, today I posted even bigger (9-10 pages) chapter for the Grand Tour - it's quite a lot for one week, I think :) About the schedule, there really isn't one - I aim at the ratio 3:1 for the GT and SR chapters but it may change. In general, new chapters show up When I Feel Like Writing and/or Soon ;)

It's not voltorb, it's polandball!