(KSP 1.10 + 1.12 ) Mission Controller 3.2.0 (Final Version) (Updated 6/25/2021)

malkuth

Doing the communications/weather/government satellite missions is the closest to MMORPG-style gold farming you can get in a space sim. I'm out of the red now and piling up cash to finance a Minmus lander. :D

MC really starts to shine when you add other mods that make KSP harder.. Like DRE or IonCross. Since building vessels to overcome these obstacles is pretty expensive with manned lander.

I use IonCross and a mission to duna with enough Support to keep kerbals alive for almost a year is pretty insane. Maybe to insane when it comes to oxygen use by kerbals. Have not even attempted it yet. Been going to NASA route with Unmanned stuff.

Hey can you make a mission pack or two for people that use Kethane or Extraplanetary Launchpads?

I have plans for kethane. But its going to take a little bit to get them in place. Kethane is kinda special because its free.. And I really don't want to take that away from anyone.

What I would like to start to work on is a Random Mission Generator. And the Random mission Generator will have some special Mission Objectives of its own. 2 Of them I plan is Resource Transfer (IE ANY RESOURCE Like Kethane) And Repair Missions.

These 2 missions will be available only if you have say a Space Station in Kerbin Orbit marked as Station... And Or satellites that have docking ports (IE the Repair part).

This is a pretty huge step to try to bring Mission Controller too.. So its not something that will come in next few weeks (if at all, I have no idea if its even possible). But that is the plan on my end.. And I know Nathan Has plans for other stuff. And Nobody also wants to implement some things he was doing in original.

So the stuff is there.. (I know people have been asking to save positions of windows.. I have noticed, I just have to figure out how to do it, been studying other mods how they do it)

So those are my plans for future.. Not including the small stuff that might come before all this. Working on existing Objectives. And Expanding the Finance window for you can just borrow money at a lower rate.. (no plans to change the 25% at this time, that is meant to be kind of a handicap not to go into the red)

Then the question comes to mind.. Is all this even possible in a plugin.. Because what good is a plugin that chugs down your system even more the KSP? So will adding to much stuff start effecting your side of Performance.. This is all things we have to consider.

The mission editor is a sure thing.. Because that will be a standalone thing that runs outside of KSP.

Hey can you make a mission pack or two for people that use Kethane or Extraplanetary Launchpads?

Try my civilian pack.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqf4fcfbbfjv8vg/Sandworm_Military_BETA-01.mpkg (needs IonCross crew support)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w1v2j3l34494ak/Sandworm_Civilian_BETA-01.mpkg (needs Kethane)

Setting mission goals for Kethane is easy. Kethane is just another resource and the parts are just parts. What we cannot do is set a "must scan 99% of Ike" goal. Almost the same thing can be done with orbital requirements (ie 90* x 100km x 4days) but I don't add the time requirement because watching a probe spin around a planet for an hour isn't much fun.

Edited by Sandworm

A question for others playing through the missions: Is anyone else having trouble making a decent profit on 'Medium Goverment Satellite'? I have to switch to 2.5m parts to get the minimum 10 tonnes payload out to 1995km (sometimes less of course) which pushes the costs up really fast. 130,000K is about the best I can manage with it just getting there heavy enough.

And found a bug perhaps. I'd had the plugin disabled while trying to get the rocket right for this med gov mission and reverted to the launchpad happy that it would actually work this time. When I switched the plugin back on, it didn't add the fuel costs for the launch - it was only charging me 40k for the vehicle parts.

I restarted to get the new update and now I can scroll I see there are some missing payouts. The only ones showing are for 2 weather sats: all the rest are missing like the goverment ones etc

Edit: And another thing: The battery pack requirement for the TV network mission 14 isn't working. I checked the Squad part name for the Z400 and it's the one you have in the mission, I put 2 on but it's just not giving me credit for it.

Edited by Ratzap

This has probably been asked, and if you know where would you kindly link it for me? How do you complete the missions with EVA requirements like Vostok 2 in the Stock mission pack? MC just resets the mission as soon as I go EVA, it says complete for the orbit time and the EVA time while on EVA but goes back to 0 on both as soon as I re-enter the craft, making it impossible to complete. Perhaps im doing something wrong but I have no idea what, or its a bug.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you are willing to offer,

Savage

This has probably been asked, and if you know where would you kindly link it for me? How do you complete the missions with EVA requirements like Vostok 2 in the Stock mission pack? MC just resets the mission as soon as I go EVA, it says complete for the orbit time and the EVA time while on EVA but goes back to 0 on both as soon as I re-enter the craft, making it impossible to complete. Perhaps im doing something wrong but I have no idea what, or its a bug.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you are willing to offer,

Savage

Hit the 'hide finished goal' for the piece above it *before* you go EVA. Then just step outside, grab the ladder and wait 5 minutes. As soon as it shows green, hit the 'hide finished goal' and get back in.

A question for others playing through the missions: Is anyone else having trouble making a decent profit on 'Medium Goverment Satellite'? I have to switch to 2.5m parts to get the minimum 10 tonnes payload out to 1995km (sometimes less of course) which pushes the costs up really fast. 130,000K is about the best I can manage with it just getting there heavy enough.

And found a bug perhaps. I'd had the plugin disabled while trying to get the rocket right for this med gov mission and reverted to the launchpad happy that it would actually work this time. When I switched the plugin back on, it didn't add the fuel costs for the launch - it was only charging me 40k for the vehicle parts.

Hi, when u switch modes make sure you push the save button in settings. It's a button on the bottom with reset and others.

I can tell u that medium gov mission should make u a handsome profit. But just to make sure ill do it again when I get some time and check it out for you. And maybe post a picture. :)

Oh you might also want to go back into van and come back out to reset the cost. I have seen that happen before. You don't get charged anything until you hit the space bar so it has no effect on mc if you do this.

Edited by malkuth

I restarted to get the new update and now I can scroll I see there are some missing payouts. The only ones showing are for 2 weather sats: all the rest are missing like the goverment ones etc

Edit: And another thing: The battery pack requirement for the TV network mission 14 isn't working. I checked the Squad part name for the Z400 and it's the one you have in the mission, I put 2 on but it's just not giving me credit for it.

Ill check it out when I get a chance.

Hit the 'hide finished goal' for the piece above it *before* you go EVA. Then just step outside, grab the ladder and wait 5 minutes. As soon as it shows green, hit the 'hide finished goal' and get back in.

Thanx Raztap, didn't know the Hide goal buttons did more than just hide it from view, that helps alot.

I _think_ on a flyby periapsis will be positive and apo will be negative. I think you'll need a min Pe _and_ min Ap.

But don't quote me. Haven't actually played in...a while.

This is correct. Fixing it with a minimum Ap would be much better than my idea of setting a max Ap.

I've made a mission package to put ISA MapSats into very specific orbits. It's set up for Dev Build X4-r1 and requires a MapSat dish for each mission. The orbits are taken from This Post and are the fastest or tied for fastest mapping except for Eve which has one mission for fastest mission and one for fastest mission that can detect anomalies. I've only made one mission per planet (except Eve and the planets with no "better" mapsat orbit) so it's not cluttered but doesn't give you as many options as you'd have using just the orbit charts. The missions are numbered by how far they are from the sun. The mission payout is scaled to have about the same pay per dV required as the stock Duna mission except for the Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus missions which give the same payout as the stock missions. Missions also give a 10% bonus for including one of each antenna. There is no time requirement to complete the mission, though the time to properly map is included in mission description. I've only tested Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus so far so there may be some issues with it not mapping properly on smaller bodies using these orbits.

ISA MapSat Deployment package

Edited by Leonon

My prefer to define orbits as being between a maxApA and a minPeA, a nice donut of space. For a flyby, I skip both and just use a max altitude as that seems more intuitive.

Why not simply use something like: "OrbitingBody = Mun, MinEcc = 1.0, MaxPe = ..." as the conditions of a Mun flyby mission?

And... I've got some questions about the passive missions.

1) Why 1 day = 24 hours? All our kerbals know 1 day = 6 hours. :P

2) It seems like the countdown doesn't persists if i played for serveral hours and leave the game. Next time i get in the game, the countdown goes back to 23h59m59s again. Thus, unless i make some inter-planetary missions that will take several days, i won't be able to get any profits from these passive missions. Can this plugin save the latest countdown value in future updates?

I would have to look at the time stuff. This part of code is before my time and I have a feeling it works the same way mission countdown time works. I would like to change if up actually keep track of time using the built in kerbal clock. I will see what I can do. Might have to study kerbal alarm clock see how they did it.

I'm curious what sorts of designs you guys have been using to complete Sandworms "Propaganda" mission, the first mission in his Military Missions pack.

It seems to call for a rocket that achieves orbit with nothing but solid rocket boosters, which I have not used much. I can certainly build ones that get really high up, but I'm a bit baffled at steering them.

I generally use my RemoteTech Flight Computer to control my ascent using the Surface mode. So I start out with Surface Pitch = 90 and Heading = 90. Then I'll typically after a couple kilometers Update to Pitch =85; Heading = 90. Then Pitch = 80, etc. In the case of this mission I've been trying to do the same but with Heading = 25 to achieve the 50 to 70 Inclination required for the orbit.

I've been using the SSH Series Model 221, Solid Booster as my bottom stage. This is added by either NovaPunch or one of the other parts packs. It says "Thrust Vectoring Enabled" and Max Vectoring Angle = 1.0. However, I do have it in a triple group and strutted together. The ship seems completely unresponsive to turn commands. Oh yeah, I also have a few KMS Mini-boosters strapped on to provide a bit more oomph to the bottom stage. These also say Thrust Vectoring Enabled, but Angle = 0.00

1. How do you steer an all SRB rocket?

2. Does a triple pack somehow disable a rockets thrust vectoring ability?

ADDIT: I just did a test with only one SSH Series Model 221 and the sputnik probe on top. It steers manually, but the RT Flight Computer doesn't seem able to steer it. Weird. I suppose this could actually be an issue with how the thrust vectoring is setup in the part in the mod pack then?

ADDIT2: and three Model 221's steer manually too, so it must just be the RT Flight Computer more than not being able to steer in general.

Anyway, still curious to hear what you guys build to do this SRB launch mission :)

Seems to me to need at least a two stage rocket: first to get you up to a good high apo; second to do an orbital burn. After that I guess either more small SRB units, else monopropellant and/or xenon to correct orbit and de-orbit?

Strikes me as a nice challenging, though deceptively easy, mission.

Edited by Diche Bach

I'm curious what sorts of designs you guys have been using to complete Sandworms "Propaganda" mission, the first mission in his Military Missions pack.

It seems to call for a rocket that achieves orbit with nothing but solid rocket boosters, which I have not used much. I can certainly build ones that get really high up, but I'm a bit baffled at steering them.

No. The limitation only applies to the sat in orbit at the end of the mission. There is no limitation on using liquidfuel to get it there.

XUHFt1Xl.jpgiGrDXyrl.jpg

This isn't a reddit challenge, just the opposite. The point of that limitation is to simulate a reality of space travel: that bi-propellant rocket fuel is an unstable and dangerous substance to store for any length of time in space.

Edited by Sandworm

Ah! Well that makes it a heckuva lot easier then! Anyway, my misinterpretation of the requirement has led me to some fun, funny and intriguing sandbox experiments with all SRB launch vehicles :) Notice all those whacked out trajectories of the preceding test flights!

Hi, when u switch modes make sure you push the save button in settings. It's a button on the bottom with reset and others.

I can tell u that medium gov mission should make u a handsome profit. But just to make sure ill do it again when I get some time and check it out for you. And maybe post a picture. :)

Oh you might also want to go back into van and come back out to reset the cost. I have seen that happen before. You don't get charged anything until you hit the space bar so it has no effect on mc if you do this.

I got to the heavy gov mission now and it's also going to be fairly tight. One thing that stands out though is that Oxidizer is 10x as expensive as fuel, is it meant to be? When I look at the vehicle cost breakdown it says: fuel 9,273, oxy 97,152 the rest brings it up to about 236,000K. I cut some fuel from the tanks on the pad to trim the payload weight so that shaves some cash off too but with a 270,000K payout there's not much slack and hardcore will pretty much have no chance to make money.

Edit: I just checked, successfully finishing the heavy gov mission has not added the passive financing :(

Edited by Ratzap

How many missions you have total for passive. I did the medium gov to test it out. Already had 3 passive missions and when done the gov mission it did not show up in passive list. Checked the save file and noticed it was not paying out anything for gov.

So my question to all is do u have more then 3 passive missions? I would test more but I have go to work.

And yes oxidizer is expensive. Very expensive in fact. Not 10 times though.

Edited by malkuth

How many missions you have total for passive. I did the medium gov to test it out. Already had 3 passive missions and when done the gov mission it did not show up in passive list. Checked the save file and noticed it was not paying out anything for gov.

So my question to all is do u have more then 3 passive missions? I would test more but I have go to work.

And yes oxidizer is expensive. Very expensive in fact. Not 10 times though.

Having the same issue here. i completed the three passive missions before i found that there's another small passive mission named "government medium satellite" or something similar which gives me 75 per day IIRC.

after i completed that mission i cannot see any related item shown in the financing window.. the mission is flagged as already finished though...

Edited by HoneyFox

I have some problems with auto-recycle.

When i use a small solid booster with one large chute it looks like it works OK(altho i only get a message for one booster instead of 2) sugestion:do not replace the UI dialog for recycle value with new one, but if a dialog is already present, just add the new value to the existing dialog.

The bigger one is, i do not get any auto-recycle when i use double liquid booster: fuelTank.long,liquidEngine2,parachuteLarge,radialDecoupler2,fuelLine. I drop this two boosters way later, and it has an Ap higher than the point of release, and i never get any recycle popup.

I checked the logs and the drag seems ok, but there is never a: "*MC* Recycling vessel: enough parachutes!" after it. the full log of the release of this stage looks like this (i think i got everthing)

[LOG 11:38:16.464] *MC* Vessel Mission IIIa1 Debris (Unloaded) destroyed. Alt 23017.189781735, body Kerbin, sit = FLYING

[LOG 11:38:16.464] *MC* Checking Mission IIIa1 Debris (Unloaded)

[LOG 11:38:16.465] Has part radialDecoupler2, mass 0.05, cost 5

[LOG 11:38:16.466] Has part fuelTank.long, mass 0.5, cost 55

[LOG 11:38:16.466] Has part liquidEngine2, mass 1.5, cost 3445

[LOG 11:38:16.467] Has part parachuteLarge, mass 0.3, cost 420

[LOG 11:38:16.467] Drag now 150.000005960464

[LOG 11:38:38.810] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Mission IIIa1

[LOG 11:38:40.497] Vessel Mission IIIa1 Debris was on-rails at 0.0 atm pressure and was destroyed.

Am i missing something or is it a bug?

Also thanks for the great work you putting into this fork.

Ok Guys those with the issues with the Passive Missions I think I solved the problem for now.. Basically the code for the passive missions is not really complete yet.. So It does not like it when you set missions to other dates.. IE default is 1 year.. So If you play 3 1 year missions (which most the missions are) your all set with those missions. But once you go to say the Goverment Missions which were set to 90 days.. MC has no way to keep track of different days right now.. So MC would just Clear Gov Missions and not give you the passive.

For Now A quick fix was to edit all the passive missions to 1 Year.. It seems to work I just did the Heavy Gov Mission and it now shows up under my Passive Payouts.

Also I increased the Payments for Both Med And Heavy Gov Missions to make them a little more worthwhile.

As always since these are just mission changes no new version numbers.. But the download for .18 contains the Edited missions now.

If you have already done both these missions, then sorry to say unless you edit them to be Repeatable (at least once to do them over) then you still won't get the payouts in your Finance (you have to do them over).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.