(KSP 1.10 + 1.12 ) Mission Controller 3.2.0 (Final Version) (Updated 6/25/2021)

malkuth

One thing MC might consider doing is procedural payloads. Meaning if a mission has as a goal 'take a box to orbit <blah>' create a generic part with the relevant size/mass parameters in the VAB (on button press or something?) and have the mission check for the part when it comes time to finish.

I wanted to take the time to say how awesome this mod is. It really has helped me create a structure to my space program, since the pure sandbox environment of vanilla KSP hadn't been driving me to anything specific lately. So to you and the original mod maker: Thanks for making such an awesome mod.

I do have another question though, which I wasn't able to find. How does the clientControlled parameter work when defined in a mission. Does it take away your ability to control the vessel when you finish the mission? I don't particularly understand what the documentation means when it states the client will take over.

What I have in mind for a mission is one that when you complete, you will be prevented from completing any other missions in the future. Is this currently possible at all?

Yes it locks you out from the controlls in KSP terms of gameplay.. In MC terms it is used to help decide what vessels are under player control or AI control.. Only thing right now that Uses AI control is the Passive mission payouts.

I have a problem too. The windows don't appear when I want to open them. the first I used the mod everything worked but after the first mission there was this bug. Same happened after reinstalling the mod except I couldn't do any missions.

Edit: I found the bug. When I press middle mouse button the selected window disappears and won't open again. Strange.

Delete the XML file that is located in the same folder as you Missions.. This file holds the save data for the windows.. (IE saves the UI positions) Sometimes it bugs out... And the Save part always remember the last position.. So if this happens while the UI is off screen.. Then it will always load that way until you delete the xml file.

OK, I've got troubles in the 'Maids in space' mission. I've completed it four times and though it says 'mission finished' the icon in the mission list stays blue and won't allow the mission 8 to go (I've completed mission 7 just fine). I looked into the mission parameters in the saved game config for mission controller but didn't see the wrong name (missing number) that was mentioned a page or two ago. I haven't got the time to wade through this entire thread so I apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned.

I wondered if I was running 0.20 not 0.20.2, but I updated and redid the mission... still no luck. If it matters I'm running a staged reusable vessel and for some reason, even though I do all the maths on weights of parachutes vs dry weight it still isn't giving me the auto-recycling bonus when the boosters re-enter either. That I can live with as the main ship does recycle fine once landed, but that mission chain in the commercialization of space is now broken. I even tried to find the parameters for 'mission completed' in the cfg but couldn't find anything specific to that. Mission status listing didn't have a 'mission completed=false' anywhere so I guess it's something more complicated.

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

(Edit: I've actually taken a closer look at my save game MC config and there are multiple entries for the maids in space mission:

GoalStatus

{

id = 06 - Maids in Space.. A true story__PART1

vesselGuid = ad36852a-4b49-47b5-8fe5-d1ef4dd85672

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

vesselGuid = 4a1d034a-c257-409b-9c35-e3f98dcd34f6

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

vesselGuid = dcc3f455-59ff-45e8-bbe6-ec5bf8ca91b2

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

id = 06 - Maids in Space.. A true story__PART2

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

id = 07 - Open For Business Sorta.... Maybe__PART1

vesselGuid = bf61cfb0-04ec-4d52-b931-b531f0768b02

repeatable = False

}

I think the mission status has two entries as well)

Edited by Patupi
More info.

OK, I've got troubles in the 'Maids in space' mission. I've completed it four times and though it says 'mission finished' the icon in the mission list stays blue and won't allow the mission 8 to go (I've completed mission 7 just fine). I looked into the mission parameters in the saved game config for mission controller but didn't see the wrong name (missing number) that was mentioned a page or two ago. I haven't got the time to wade through this entire thread so I apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned.

I wondered if I was running 0.20 not 0.20.2, but I updated and redid the mission... still no luck. If it matters I'm running a staged reusable vessel and for some reason, even though I do all the maths on weights of parachutes vs dry weight it still isn't giving me the auto-recycling bonus when the boosters re-enter either. That I can live with as the main ship does recycle fine once landed, but that mission chain in the commercialization of space is now broken. I even tried to find the parameters for 'mission completed' in the cfg but couldn't find anything specific to that. Mission status listing didn't have a 'mission completed=false' anywhere so I guess it's something more complicated.

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

(Edit: I've actually taken a closer look at my save game MC config and there are multiple entries for the maids in space mission:

GoalStatus

{

vesselGuid = ad36852a-4b49-47b5-8fe5-d1ef4dd85672

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

vesselGuid = 4a1d034a-c257-409b-9c35-e3f98dcd34f6

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

vesselGuid = dcc3f455-59ff-45e8-bbe6-ec5bf8ca91b2

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

id = 06 - Maids in Space.. A true story__PART2

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

id = 07 - Open For Business Sorta.... Maybe__PART1

vesselGuid = bf61cfb0-04ec-4d52-b931-b531f0768b02

repeatable = False

}

I think the mission status has two entries as well)

Are you sure mission 6 is actually done.. (been paid for it?) someone has reported that they had some issues with docking and having more then 1 docking port on a vessel.. If it is done. Then Im not sure what might be going on. But I will look into it when I have some time. The multiple Goals.. Are the individual goals for Mission 6. And 7. So it looks like your stuck on the docking part for mission 7. Since Goal 1 is already complete..

Future Plans for Mission Controller Ext.. And KSP .22

Hi guys thought I would give you a heads up on what I plan on doing when .22 comes out.. Right now I don't plan on releases any updates until .22 finally comes out. But when it does these are the plans.

1. Now that I have had a look at what .22 is bringing us. The major plan is to have Mission Controller work for the Campaign mode, im sure it will still work in sandbox.. But it will pretty much require the new science stuff to work now.

2. Science missions will play a major part in MC. Things like Recycle and some of the mission types will require you to complete certain levels in the science Tree.

3. Might cut some of the fat from MC.. Cut the windows down , For instance if I still can't use the KerbalNaught Hire button yet (IE still no Plugin support) it will be dropped. And I'm going to try to clean up the UI, heavy changes to what it looks like and what you can see.

4. Plans are to have a much more robust Finance window.. Track how much you have spent on missions, total payouts, and borrowing aspects of MC.

5. Add a new science mission for payouts. Or use the current system somehow to get paid for science missions.

6. And other changes that have to do with the changes in .22.

7. Just notified today someone was working on a mission builder for Mission Controller.. More info on this when He gets done with it.. IE no more NotePad for making missions.

Of course a lot of these changes are dependent on the Developers.. If they have no support for plugins to interact with .22 changes, then most of these changes would be pretty hard to do.. So I'm hoping that they have added plugin support for a lot of these options.. If not then I'm not sure what I want to do.

As KSP campaign get flushed out. And more things are added to it. .Mission Controller will become smaller and smaller int theory. And once the devs finally make their own mission system with payouts.. Then the need for mission controller will be no more.. But until that time, we will rock on. ;)

Edited by malkuth

Wow, talk about one of the best mods known to kerbal kind! Seriously kudos all round for anyone who had a hand in this. I'm floored!

In any case, I was curious as to how can you go about tweaking the costs of parts? I don't want to reduce anything, I just noticed that my Flight Engineer module has the cost of 1. :( I find that too cheap and was hoping to have it's cost be more like the mechjeb module which is something like 3,000K.

Also, not that it would make a massive difference, I noticed that items placed in bins don't add to the cost calculations. Is there any plans in the future to make this be factored?

Again, amazing work I've started a new game to try things out and will be making some missions myself! Woo!

Wow, talk about one of the best mods known to kerbal kind! Seriously kudos all round for anyone who had a hand in this. I'm floored!

In any case, I was curious as to how can you go about tweaking the costs of parts? I don't want to reduce anything, I just noticed that my Flight Engineer module has the cost of 1. :( I find that too cheap and was hoping to have it's cost be more like the mechjeb module which is something like 3,000K.

Also, not that it would make a massive difference, I noticed that items placed in bins don't add to the cost calculations. Is there any plans in the future to make this be factored?

Again, amazing work I've started a new game to try things out and will be making some missions myself! Woo!

Cost is based off a few different things. And can't be edited yet by user. I keep on forgetting to adding a custom cost for Engineer though. ;) If you want though I sure if you change the weight of Flight Engineer parts. (make them heavy) then mission controller will be able to base cost off of weight. And assign a higher cost to that.

As for parts in a bin? I take it your talking about the kerbal attachment system mod? And as of this moment there is no way for MC to understand what is inside a bin and what is not. MC only reads the actual bin part. In theory if the parts added to a bin, added to the weight. Then the cost would go up. (since MC uses weight for some of its calculations)

Edited by malkuth

Future Plans for Mission Controller Ext.. And KSP .22

Hi guys thought I would give you a heads up on what I plan on doing when .22 comes out.. Right now I don't plan on releases any updates until .22 finally comes out. But when it does these are the plans.

1. Now that I have had a look at what .22 is bringing us. The major plan is to have Mission Controller work for the Campaign mode, im sure it will still work in sandbox.. But it will pretty much require the new science stuff to work now.

2. Science missions will play a major part in MC. Things like Recycle and some of the mission types will require you to complete certain levels in the science Tree.

3. Might cut some of the fat from MC.. Cut the windows down , For instance if I still can't use the KerbalNaught Hire button yet (IE still no Plugin support) it will be dropped. And I'm going to try to clean up the UI, heavy changes to what it looks like and what you can see.

4. Plans are to have a much more robust Finance window.. Track how much you have spent on missions, total payouts, and borrowing aspects of MC.

5. Add a new science mission for payouts. Or use the current system somehow to get paid for science missions.

6. And other changes that have to do with the changes in .22.

7. Just notified today someone was working on a mission builder for Mission Controller.. More info on this when He gets done with it.. IE no more NotePad for making missions.

Of course a lot of these changes are dependent on the Developers.. If they have no support for plugins to interact with .22 changes, then most of these changes would be pretty hard to do.. So I'm hoping that they have added plugin support for a lot of these options.. If not then I'm not sure what I want to do.

As KSP campaign get flushed out. And more things are added to it. .Mission Controller will become smaller and smaller int theory. And once the devs finally make their own mission system with payouts.. Then the need for mission controller will be no more.. But until that time, we will rock on. ;)

Yes Sir, we will rock on!

Are you sure mission 6 is actually done.. (been paid for it?) someone has reported that they had some issues with docking and having more then 1 docking port on a vessel.. If it is done. Then Im not sure what might be going on. But I will look into it when I have some time. The multiple Goals.. Are the individual goals for Mission 6. And 7. So it looks like your stuck on the docking part for mission 7. Since Goal 1 is already complete..

Well, I've completed the mission 4 times, and I know at least one time I got paid for it. I'm pretty sure twice (RL interfered so I missed one, and I think I didn't get paid the first time).

As to mission 7... it's possible. I completed mission 7 after my first go at mission 6 and didn't realise 6 wasn't done. On the mission select screen the icons on the right side of mission 6 are still blue, not green. Mission 7's icon is green. That's what leads me to believe it's 6 that is the problem, despite the pop up for mission 6 saying 'mission finished'.

Edited by Patupi

Cost is based off a few different things. And can't be edited yet by user. I keep on forgetting to adding a custom cost for Engineer though. ;) If you want though I sure if you change the weight of Flight Engineer parts. (make them heavy) then mission controller will be able to base cost off of weight. And assign a higher cost to that.

As for parts in a bin? I take it your talking about the kerbal attachment system mod? And as of this moment there is no way for MC to understand what is inside a bin and what is not. MC only reads the actual bin part. In theory if the parts added to a bin, added to the weight. Then the cost would go up. (since MC uses weight for some of its calculations)

It's all good! I'm in love with this mod it's beyond awesome!

Thanks for explaining! :D

I was curious about what does the civilian trigger do? Does the craft disappear? I'm hoping it's that!

Cheers!

Edited by MedievalNerd
Forgot something!

It's all good! I'm in love with this mod it's beyond awesome!

Thanks for explaining! :D

I was curious about what does the civilian trigger do? Does the craft disappear? I'm hoping it's that!

Cheers!

No. The way Kerbal Space Program works you can no longer just delete crafts (if you do you can kill crew inside). But Im not sure what you mean by civilian. There is a few extra fields you can add to Missions to change the way they work. Only one I can think of that you might be thinking of is ClientControlled.. All that does is make it for the player can no longer Move the Vessel after the Mission Is Done. Used mostly for MC can tell the difference between Passive Missions and Active ones.

No. The way Kerbal Space Program works you can no longer just delete crafts (if you do you can kill crew inside). But Im not sure what you mean by civilian. There is a few extra fields you can add to Missions to change the way they work. Only one I can think of that you might be thinking of is ClientControlled.. All that does is make it for the player can no longer Move the Vessel after the Mission Is Done. Used mostly for MC can tell the difference between Passive Missions and Active ones.

Oups, yeah I meant client controlled.

So you still see the vessel in orbit but can no longer gain control of it? Can that vessel be used for repair missions later on for example? Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you would happen to dock with a client controlled vessel?

Thanks for everything!

Edited by MedievalNerd

Thanks for that explanation.

I was curious about how the game handles the trigger to start a mission. Let's say you have a craft that's landed on Mun. Can you use that craft select a 'return to Kerbin' mission and have the game start tracking it with that vessel? Or do all missions have to originate from Kerbin's launchpad?

I'm using the TAC Lifesupport mod so kerbals generate food/water waste and also CO2. I wanted to make a mission to send back waste to Kerbin. Ideally I would like to have small ships attached to the main vessel going to Mun. Each little ship would be a tank of whatever waste (water, food, or CO2) with engine & parachute. From what I understand the missions can't be completed by a separate ship, which is why I'd like to know whether this is possible.

Secondly I'm also using Extraplanetary Launchpads, and would be curious if missions calculate costs of ships launched from them? I know you guys don't offer cross support, but just curious if this was ever brought up.

Cheers,

Hmm. You could create a mission with two subgoals: a min altitude(70km) in goal 1, and landing(Kerbin) in goal 2. That would mean the ship would have to start (well, technically, at _some_ point) be outside Kerbin's atmosphere, and then land on Kerbin.

Mission subgoals are tracked per vessel, though timers reset on vessel (or mission) change. So you could be halfway done with your mun mission with your main ship, stage away a waste return ship, switch to it, switch missions to Waste Return, land at Kerbin and complete mission, via Tracking go back to your old ship, and reselect your old mission. All completed subgoals will stay completed on mission reload.

The way missions "start" is you load them in the browser. All subgoals start as uncompleted. MCE then looks at your save file, and sees if present vessel has completed any subgoals in this mission before. If so, flag them as completed. Then evaluate the status of each uncompleted subgoal, and each goal under it. Flag any completed subgoals (i.e. a subgoal where all goals are completed) as completed. When all subgoals evaluate to completed, allow Finish Mission.

EDIT: As for ExL, hmm. I would think so, as long as anything launched from them start in state "prelaunch". Try creating a vessel at a launchpad, and before hitting space or anything, go to tracking station. Does the vessel show up as Prelaunch or Flying/Orbiting/Landed/Whatever?

Hmm. You could create a mission with two subgoals: a min altitude(70km) in goal 1, and landing(Kerbin) in goal 2. That would mean the ship would have to start (well, technically, at _some_ point) be outside Kerbin's atmosphere, and then land on Kerbin.

Mission subgoals are tracked per vessel, though timers reset on vessel (or mission) change. So you could be halfway done with your mun mission with your main ship, stage away a waste return ship, switch to it, switch missions to Waste Return, land at Kerbin and complete mission, via Tracking go back to your old ship, and reselect your old mission. All completed subgoals will stay completed on mission reload.

The way missions "start" is you load them in the browser. All subgoals start as uncompleted. MCE then looks at your save file, and sees if present vessel has completed any subgoals in this mission before. If so, flag them as completed. Then evaluate the status of each uncompleted subgoal, and each goal under it. Flag any completed subgoals (i.e. a subgoal where all goals are completed) as completed. When all subgoals evaluate to completed, allow Finish Mission.

EDIT: As for ExL, hmm. I would think so, as long as anything launched from them start in state "prelaunch". Try creating a vessel at a launchpad, and before hitting space or anything, go to tracking station. Does the vessel show up as Prelaunch or Flying/Orbiting/Landed/Whatever?

I'll have to double check that pre-launch status. From what I understand it should be in that state!

Ahh, ok. So if I switch vessel focus the 'lifetime' value of a mission gets reset? How does it deal with quicksaves?

OK, I've had a repeat of the 'Maids in space' problem on another mission and I think I know what's causing it. When you fail a mission and 'revert' and restart the launch without closing the mission window and re-selecting a mission, that seems to cause what I've been having. I just launched a sat on a simple mission and made a stupid mistake, so I reverted. I completed the mission but that icon remains blue and isn't finished. Could that be the cause of it? If so is there a way to fix it so I can now complete those missions that have been 'flagged' as still incomplete, and stay that way no matter how many times I complete them?

OK, I've had a repeat of the 'Maids in space' problem on another mission and I think I know what's causing it. When you fail a mission and 'revert' and restart the launch without closing the mission window and re-selecting a mission, that seems to cause what I've been having. I just launched a sat on a simple mission and made a stupid mistake, so I reverted. I completed the mission but that icon remains blue and isn't finished. Could that be the cause of it? If so is there a way to fix it so I can now complete those missions that have been 'flagged' as still incomplete, and stay that way no matter how many times I complete them?

Oh I should of noticed this when you posted the goals.. What you are doing when you revert is messing up the missions goals.. So say you luanch with vessel A. It has a Vessel ID of 10500 (just example) you finish goal one with This vessel. It gets recorded by MCE as Goal 1 fininished with vessel 10500. On way to second goal you mess up and decide to revert.. You launch again.. Now your vessel ID is 10200. Now you can't finish the 2nd goal because the mission is expecting Vessel ID 10500 to finish it. And your now in a vessel with ID 10200.

If you use the Revert Button For KSP. You also need to use the Revert Button For MCE (its in settings) The catch is that you have to do it before you use the KSP Revert Button... So Revert Mission Controller first (only if you have finished goals that is or want money back) then revert KSP.

If you forget to do this.. Then you have to go into the MCE Save File and manually delete the mission goals.

Now this problem only really exist with Non Repeatable missions. With a repeatable mission you can bypass this problem because a new vessel would mean a new mission.. (thats why sometimes you have more then one Goal For same mission) But the missions your trying to do are not Repeatable.. So its a problem.

I would like to have MCE Work with the KSP Revert.. IE you use KSP Revert and it also reverts the current mission and launch. Pretty big change and might take awhile so I have been putting it off.

I could write some hack to delete the goals though in case things like this happen though. Again time stuff.. At this point I just wanna get my hands on .22 to see what it does.. And what I can do before I do to much.

I will do some testing though to find ways around the Revert problem.. (to be honest I never use Revert in KSP while doing missions)

Edited by malkuth

Well, at least I know what the problem is now, thanks for confirming it. I do vaguely remember seeing something about the 'revert MC' along with KSP, but I thought it was to do with cash rewards, not breaking missions. Maybe it's been said and I missed it. I'll either stay away from revert for this or try to remember to use the 'revert MC' first. On repairing my current mission files, do I only delete the 'GOALSTATUS' blocks for the appropriate mission?

Well, at least I know what the problem is now, thanks for confirming it. I do vaguely remember seeing something about the 'revert MC' along with KSP, but I thought it was to do with cash rewards, not breaking missions. Maybe it's been said and I missed it. I'll either stay away from revert for this or try to remember to use the 'revert MC' first. On repairing my current mission files, do I only delete the 'GOALSTATUS' blocks for the appropriate mission?

Yup make sure to keep the {} intact for the other parts.

I don't have specific experience with modding KSP (I'll get around to it eventually!), or programming in c# for that matter, but I know enough coding for that. Thanks.

(EDIT: OK, still not working. It's saying 'Mission already completed' on the in game pop up, but still blue icons on the mission select screen. Curiously it's saying on the mission pop up during the mission that the maids in space is repeatable, but in the mission select window it says it isn't. Odd. I tried to undock and redock with a ship I had up there already. Would it be something to do with trying this with a ship I used before editing the cfg? Here's the cfg file if that helps: Mission CFG

Edited by Patupi

Is it currently possible for having mission conditions that verify if components are active? For example, to see if the scientific tools are on or off? I noticed the game checks if throttle is active in some goals, wondering if that can be applied to other components.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just thought about something. I could just edit the Flight Engineer module to store a new resource called Data. and have each scientific part generate Data. Pretty sure I can use the Kethane module to make it work. Then have a mission goal that you have to get in orbit without any Data. And only complete the orbit goal once you have X amount. :) Might just work!

Edited by MedievalNerd

Hey, that's clever! A good holdover until .22!

malkuth--since when does revert (in the MCE settings menu) do anything but give you money back? IIRC, it specifically does _not_ change mission status, which screws you over if you (a) finish a mission (B) revert (and lose the money) and then © want to do the mission again--you can't, because the mission stays completed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.