(KSP 1.10 + 1.12 ) Mission Controller 3.2.0 (Final Version) (Updated 6/25/2021)

malkuth

Thank your for your quick and precise answers! Love the mod, but i will be skipping it for a while, i also have extraplanetary launch pads + the fact that contracts and custom contracts still need some polishing, i will just wait for 0.24, when squad adds it, and i hope you will be able to do a better and more integrated mission controller! Good luck anyway.

I been thinking about this problem and came to this conclusion.is this really a problem that mce does not charge you for launching vehicles made in space with el?

Here me out. Now el in itself is not free. You have to either have parts to build ships. And or mine ore to build them. To mine ore you need to have infrastructure . To get that infrastructure you had to launch vessels from kerbin to put them in space right? That means mce charged you for all that! If you use parts, you have to launch vehicles from kerbin to supply parts? Again you were charged for that? After you pay for all this building vessels in space does not seem to free to me anymore! Why should i unfairly have mce charge you for things you already payed for?

It would be like me charging you for kethane. For every unit of kethane you mine charging you 4 bucks per unit does not sound very fair does it? Again you payed for the infrastructure to do that mining. And same applies for el. Does this seem fair. I'm not going to mess with it. Opinions. Bare in mind I don't use el. So I could be wrong.

Edited by malkuth

Here me out. Now el in itself is not free. You have to either have parts to build ships. And or mine ore to build them. To mine ore you need to have infrastructure . To get that infrastructure you had to launch vessels from kerbin to put them in space right? That means mce charged you for all that! If you use parts, you have to launch vehicles from kerbin to supply parts? Again you were charged for that? After you pay for all this building vessels in space does not seem to free to me anymore! Why should i unfairly have mce charge you for things you already payed for?

Sure, but once you have the infrastructure in place, you don't pay anything for manufacturing rockets with lots of fancy components (the "labor", so to speak). That seems a little odd. And, I don't know how others do things, but in my current game I can get all the RocketParts I need just from salvaging orbital debris. So the only thing I still need to lift from Kerbin is the fuel. And once I get some kethane mining facilities set up, that will go away too. So after the startup costs are taken care of, you really can build ships for free.

NO, this mod doesn't directly affect EL, but as starstrider pointed out, after you set up infrastrucutre, you dont need any more pay to make new vessels. And these vessels are usually very cheap because they dont need the delta v you would waste to take off from kerbin (around 4500 m/s). Right now, MCE only charges you for orbiting the infrastrucuture, not for any assembling or further materials (unless you take off cannisters of parts, if you mine ore and smelt it, MCE cant charge you for that).

Right now, a analogy would be you setting up a factory, government taxing you for doing so, but no futher taxing from that point onwards, and you dont pay anything for materials or labour. In fact, a combination of kethane and EL allows you to fully build and gear vessels in outer-space, trow in TAC Life support and BioMass, and you can get everything you need from places like minmmus.

The best solution would be some "assembling cost" at these launchpads, altough MCE cant do that very well because of plugin interactions and the way EL creates a new vessel, in Docked mode if i am not wrong

Now that I think about this, I should fix this. Whats happening is if you do a Mission That can only be done once. and that mission has 3 goals. You do 2 of goals then die. Now the mission can never be done again (unlesss you revert) because the vessel you originally used for mission ID has changed. And the new vessel new ID is not registering with the Old saved goals.

I will have to fix this for next version. Thanks for info. For now you can just use the revert button and it will fix the problem. Or you can go into your .sp save file and delete the Saved Completed goals for that mission to reset it. Kudos to you though for keeping with the death of the vessel. :) I will fix this as soon as possible.

Well, I didn't expect a fix, but thanks. :D

Tell you guys what i'm going to do for Extra-planetary Launch Pads problem you are all wanting addressed. I'm personally not going to add anything to MCE to make this work on my end. I would have to bypass my own code way to much to make it work and its not going to happen.

What I will do is that I have been planning up updating my API for other mods can tap into MCE. And I will put a Expense cost into the API that any other mod can tap into and use to take out any amount of money they think warrants what they are trying to do with there own mod. So if they think launching a vessel from some orbital skylab should cost 50,000 in money they can do this. (this could be the cost of running the thing).

Was a plan of mine to get the API updated anyway (the current one is not really working because things changed to much)

So in the future other mods can tap into MissionLibrary (thats what that .dll is if your wondering MCE API) and access a bunch of fuctions for MCE.

That should help levitate giving me a million mods to make work with MCE, and free up my time to actually work on the features I want in MCE. Ok. :)

By the way the current expense cost in the API does work (that has not changed) the other values have changed though. I just updated the whole system so the next update will have these changes to the API

Edited by malkuth

Does this mod interfere with Extra Planetary Launchpads?

No MCE does not interfere with EP, the question of the day from most everyone is why does MCE not charge for vessels launched in space with EP... And the post above will help answer most those questions. And what I think is a fair solution.

Edited by malkuth

I'm personally not going to add anything to MCE to make this work on my end. I would have to bypass my own code way to much to make it work and its not going to happen.

My opinion may not mean much.

But I want to say, that is absolutely right from your side. This is your mod, and you are not obliged to go after anybody else's to make the two work together.

Even more so, knowing how helpful you are and always have been, so that any issues with other mods will find you giving a hand to try to solve.

(of course, let any good soul here have your support to tap from the MCE API and fix things accordingly).

I'm having trouble with a docking goal on the bootstrap set. I did Katurn III and left the vessel in place at 125km during Katurn IV. I've docked with it doing Katurn V but it stubbornly says 'False'. I tried reloading the scene, transferring Bill back and forth and 'control from here' on various parts of the combined ships.

Is this a known bug? Or would you like the save file? Is there a work around or edit to fix it?

My opinion may not mean much.

But I want to say, that is absolutely right from your side. This is your mod, and you are not obliged to go after anybody else's to make the two work together.

Even more so, knowing how helpful you are and always have been, so that any issues with other mods will find you giving a hand to try to solve.

(of course, let any good soul here have your support to tap from the MCE API and fix things accordingly).

Thank you. :)

I'm having trouble with a docking goal on the bootstrap set. I did Katurn III and left the vessel in place at 125km during Katurn IV. I've docked with it doing Katurn V but it stubbornly says 'False'. I tried reloading the scene, transferring Bill back and forth and 'control from here' on various parts of the combined ships.

Is this a known bug? Or would you like the save file? Is there a work around or edit to fix it?

Docking can be of strange but it should work. Only thing I can think is that for some reason there is a saved goal under that mission name in your .sp file. And since that mission can only be done once its looking for a different ship Id to finish the goal.

You can go into the save file for your game, The gamename.sp file and find all the goals for that mission, and delete the goal. That way you can at least finish it. Only delete the docking goal part though. If you delete the others you will have to do them over.

In next update I'm going to try to find a way to save goals better. And delete old goals that are not needed anymore after mission complete.

Edited by malkuth

If anyone's looking for a way to spend more money, there is some manual work you can do to enable the research cost of parts. I have a very modular approach to playing the game because if you load too many parts you're going to run out of memory. So I have a special "Flight" folder I use to fill up GameData with everything but parts and interiors. Then I have folders for each ship that contain the parts that I copy over into the GameData folder. So I'm only loading the parts I need to play the ships that are active in the game (plus a folder for any debris). When building I load the game with all the parts but they mostly use reduce/compressed textures and I lower the texture resolution of the game overall to prevent crashes.

Anyways, when you research a new tech level you get all the parts unlocked - parts you have not yet used to build anything with. So since I can load a version of the game with only parts I have used, when I do so the game no longer considers me owning the parts that are not included. So when I switch back to my building version, all the parts that I unlocked have now reverted back to being unowned and sport their buy-in price (not all parts have this field filled out). Now I can click on the ones I want to research them and make note of their cost. After I've built my new ship and have to reload the game with my hi-res flight profile, before I do so I edit the *.sp file for my career found in the MCE Plugins/PluginData/MissoinController folder and subtract the cost of the parts I purchased.

Again, a good deal of manual work but it happens to fit well with the modular parts system I have, and gives me another way to spend money to slightly increase the amount of management I need to keep in mind when trying out new rocket designs.

Edit: easier way of doing things. Just edit the persistent.sfs file in a text editor (in your Save folder). Scroll down until you see

SCENARIO
{
name = ResearchAndDevelopment

And in there you will find a Tech{} entry for a tech tree node (like id = start for that first node) that matches the one you just unlocked. Simply delete all the part = entries.

Note that if you fly with only certain parts enabled like me to reduce memory, you should make a backup of your persistent.sfs file because otherwise when you play the game, all the parts that you didn't load but that you did pay the R&D cost for previously will revert back to being unavailable. So after playing with only the parts you need, just copy/paste the tech tree unlocks backup to restore all your previously unlocked gear - note that if you spent science points on a new tech tree node you don't want to overwrite that, just delete the newly-acquired parts and merge with the backup.

Edited by Gaiiden

Docking can be of strange but it should work. Only thing I can think is that for some reason there is a saved goal under that mission name in your .sp file. And since that mission can only be done once its looking for a different ship Id to finish the goal.

You can go into the save file for your game, The gamename.sp file and find all the goals for that mission, and delete the goal. That way you can at least finish it. Only delete the docking goal part though. If you delete the others you will have to do them over.

In next update I'm going to try to find a way to save goals better. And delete old goals that are not needed anymore after mission complete.

I tried a few edits, reloads and redockings but it just wasn't having any of it. I've ditched both ships and see how it goes from here.

I flew a new Katurn III up then went out, removed all Katurn V from the .sp file and sent a new one up. It docked and MC still says it's not. I also looked back into the .sp file and there are now 3 status sections for it

GoalStatus

{

id = Katurn V__PART1

vesselGuid = ddb61ca7-7855-4c6c-8151-6a96b7cf7dc5

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

id = Katurn V__PART1

vesselGuid = 0edf36b2-bba3-4e03-b9b1-163c2c96eb1e

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

id = Katurn V__PART1

vesselGuid = cf0e415d-a367-48b8-a62d-45192e47fa64

repeatable = False

}

and yet I deleted them. Do I have to completely quit KSP for deletes to hold or something? I'd gone back to the select game part.

I flew a new Katurn III up then went out, removed all Katurn V from the .sp file and sent a new one up. It docked and MC still says it's not. I also looked back into the .sp file and there are now 3 status sections for it

GoalStatus

{

id = Katurn V__PART1

vesselGuid = ddb61ca7-7855-4c6c-8151-6a96b7cf7dc5

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

id = Katurn V__PART1

vesselGuid = 0edf36b2-bba3-4e03-b9b1-163c2c96eb1e

repeatable = False

}

GoalStatus

{

id = Katurn V__PART1

vesselGuid = cf0e415d-a367-48b8-a62d-45192e47fa64

repeatable = False

}

and yet I deleted them. Do I have to completely quit KSP for deletes to hold or something? I'd gone back to the select game part.

yes you have to exit KSP for manual edits to stick. Because in reality the values are actually loaded into the game. So if you change something in the .sp file. The game will just overwrite them because the values are stored inside the game.

So just exit out and try again.

Also I almost have this problem solved. Working on it now and just trying to get rid of a few minor bugs.. And next version all mission goals will be deleted on mission finish, or by choice if vessel is destroyed. Should solve most these problems.

Version .53 Changes

1. New API added for other mods can access MCE and have there own personal cost, and payments work in MCE. Check out Readme On API (WIP The actual interface was written by Nobody44 Original MC developer, pretty solid so I didn't change that part)

2. New way Mission Goals are saved. Now when You finish a mission any missiongoal that belongs to that Mission will be deleted from the .sp File (this is to help with Mission Goals not being completed when doing missions again) Please note there is still one issue that

might happen that I was not able to address. And that is if you do a mission that can only be done once... Finish say only 2 of 3 goals of mission, then die. Then start over. You will have issues doing this mission with new vessel and its ID. In this case Read Number 3.

3. Added a New Button to Settings. Clear All Mission Goals. This will clear every single mission goal in the .sp file. This will help if you have issues completing goals that might be stuck looking at Different Vessel ID.

4. Added a New Button to Settings. Clear All Completed Missions. If for some strange reason you want to do all single type mission goals over again. Pushing this button will completly wipe everysingle Mission Ever done in your .sp file Forever (will also clear missions from Manifest so be careful) It will keep all other parts of space program intact.

5. Added the ability to go back to Current Mission pack. No longer have to reload the Packs anymore. (yes the button is back sorry for getting rid of it)

6. New Tabs added to the Finances screen. Other payments and Other Cost. these buttons bring in the ability to see what other mods might be charging you if they are using the new API. Read part 1.

7. The dates now Read like year 1 Day 5.. In all manifest now. Before it was reversed.

8. Added the BootStrap Missions to MCE default Downloads. I like most of these missions and decided to add them to the pack. I will not support them though. I did get rid of some of the launchgoals though (not all of them though)

The Why.

How come I didn't fix the missiongoals with missions that can only be done once? To be honest I could not get it to work. (yes the code to delete the Goals is easy) the part I had issues with is that originally I had the idea of having a Screen pop up that would allow you to Delete all goals and do mission over.. Or Keep the goals and use revert or QuickSave.

The way I was calling this was with OnDestroy.. And or ActiveVessel... and all kinds of other options. The problem is that either something is wrong with active vessel (even isactivevessel) or I was doing something wrong. But anyway the pop up was coming from even parts that were staged.. Staged parts being destroyed. And it was really annoying having to clear the Pop Up every second.

If any other modders have any ideas on best way to make the pop up happen only When the Player Vessel is destroyed.. And Am open to suggestions. The code is pretty much still intact to get this working. I just need to figure out how to make it pop with ONLY the player vessel is destroyed.. And not everything around it, or that use to be attached to it. Thanks. :)

For now you can just use the Clear Mission Goals button in settings to fix this issue. This issue should only become a Problem with Missions that can only be done ONCE... And you have finished say 2 out of the 3 goals in that mission. And then you died. And instead of Reverting, and or using QuickSave.. You had some balls and started over. :) the new vessel has a new ID and will cause a comflict with the old saved goals not accepting the new vessel.. IE you can finish the mission..

Edited by malkuth

Ta, I'll give this a go and see if I can get this *&&*$^ mission to finish.

You will have to use the Clear Mission Goals button in settings first. Should clear all goals saved in your .sp File.

And I did come up with a solution to other problem. Just added a button that will delete only Current Mission Goals in progress. ;) So in other words if you flying a vessel and doing missions and then you die. And you want to try again with new vessel you can push the reset Current Goals button that will be located on your Mission Window. And it only shows up if the Active missions has completed goals.. If not no show. :)

Guess should waited a few more hours before release. But next release. Like said still can use the clear all in the settings does the same thing. Only difference is the new one will be Mission Specific. And not a nuke them all specific.

Any new games made with MCE will not have any goals saved anyway after mission complete.

Edited by malkuth

You will have to use the Clear Mission Goals button in settings first. Should clear all goals saved in your .sp File.

Yep, that's what I did. Found the new button and used it then checked the sp file to be sure it was clean. Flew up a III and just did the 5 mission, it finally worked thanks.

Regarding checking if the active vessel is destroyed, have you tried checking if the FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel is dead? I don't recall the exact property you need to reference (not at my computer right now) it might be .state or .status or something similar. You'd just check that in the update method during the flight scene. That may work for you.

I need to take a look at your API as I think lot of the people who will use my mod would find this one to be complimentary and we've already encountered compatibility issues (money being lost because my "simulations" auto revert on crash to bypass the evil crash screen, but you apparently have your own revert button, according to the user)

(BTW, I'm still really new to KSP modding, so I'm not the best person to take advice from, if someone else offers you some you should probably take theirs :P The mod I'm working on is in my signature, Kerbal Construction Time)

Regarding checking if the active vessel is destroyed, have you tried checking if the FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel is dead? I don't recall the exact property you need to reference (not at my computer right now) it might be .state or .status or something similar. You'd just check that in the update method during the flight scene. That may work for you.

I need to take a look at your API as I think lot of the people who will use my mod would find this one to be complimentary and we've already encountered compatibility issues (money being lost because my "simulations" auto revert on crash to bypass the evil crash screen, but you apparently have your own revert button, according to the user)

(BTW, I'm still really new to KSP modding, so I'm not the best person to take advice from, if someone else offers you some you should probably take theirs :P The mod I'm working on is in my signature, Kerbal Construction Time)

Nice mod, is the only issue with the mod the revert button working with MCE? Or is there other problems? Yes I have my own revert button. MCE does not save to the persitent file and has its own save file. (Im not really comfortable messing with the players Persistence file) so the MCE revert keeps the two save files in sync.

Nice mod, is the only issue with the mod the revert button working with MCE? Or is there other problems? Yes I have my own revert button. MCE does not save to the persitent file and has its own save file. (Im not really comfortable messing with the players Persistence file) so the MCE revert keeps the two save files in sync.

So even if I wrote my own revert (which I also am planning on doing) MCE would still be out of sync? Hmm, I may need access to your revert functionality when players are using MCE in conjunction with my mod. Unless you've found a way to avoid having that pesky window pop up when a ship crashes (the one that lets you go to the space center/tracking station or revert), since that window (despite locking down pause or vessel switching) allows people to bypass the build requirements. My temporary fix is a config option which disables the auto revert so that players can press your revert button instead, but the ability to use your revert when the two mods are active would be convenient. Alternatively, if there's something I can do on my end, let me know.

As of right now, that's the only incompatibility that I have been made aware of (we also have slightly different conditions for spent stage recovery, which could be a minor inconvenience for players, but that's on my end)

Btw, the thing I was thinking of with the active vessel is this: FlightGlobals.fetch.activeVessel.state == Vessel.State.DEAD

So even if I wrote my own revert (which I also am planning on doing) MCE would still be out of sync? Hmm, I may need access to your revert functionality when players are using MCE in conjunction with my mod. Unless you've found a way to avoid having that pesky window pop up when a ship crashes (the one that lets you go to the space center/tracking station or revert), since that window (despite locking down pause or vessel switching) allows people to bypass the build requirements. My temporary fix is a config option which disables the auto revert so that players can press your revert button instead, but the ability to use your revert when the two mods are active would be convenient. Alternatively, if there's something I can do on my end, let me know.

As of right now, that's the only incompatibility that I have been made aware of (we also have slightly different conditions for spent stage recovery, which could be a minor inconvenience for players, but that's on my end)

Btw, the thing I was thinking of with the active vessel is this: FlightGlobals.fetch.activeVessel.state == Vessel.State.DEAD

Thanks that did work pretty well (not all the time) but at least it doesn't pop for any old vessel being destroyed. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.