(KSP 1.10 + 1.12 ) Mission Controller 3.2.0 (Final Version) (Updated 6/25/2021)

malkuth

Try the random missions. The stock missions as they are called are the Original Authors Mission Pack that came with Original Mission Controller back in .09. I have never done anything to these missions. The Random missions are made for .21 and above of KSP. The very first Random mission is meant for your very first launch in a Career game. It does not pay much, but it is desiegned to stop the Huge ship spam from KSP .22 that everyone would do to get 3000 Research points. After this mission and you can successfully orbit your vessel, in my opinion it becomes easy.

I love reading the Thread on Interstellar Mod and watching people say that the first levels of that mod are useless. Then the responses from the people that know telling them no its not, you have to build your ships different. Well that same moto comes into play with Mission Controller Ext. You have to build your ships different in MCE to make budgets and make mission payouts. And I think this is the hardest hurdle people have to overcome. The difference between building what you want, without cost restrictions is a major Game Changer to Most that Try MCE.. Which is why I get a lot of the This mod sucks you can't make money. (not saying you, but check a few pages back)

But of course if you want you can pretty much change anything you want in Mission Controller by editing the MCsettings.Cfg file in the MCE folder. The file explains everything.

Also with the way I made MCE research tree, you really want to push for cheaper Fuels, Recycling, and Cheaper Building... Changes things a lot for your builds. And finally the higher mission payouts Later in MCE pretty much makes MCE sandbox mode 2. Which is kinda what I wanted, once everything is researched I figured people want to do own custom missions and just launch ships.. Maybe do a few MCE missions, and pay for that Trip To Eeloo.

But its a space program we have to work at getting to that point.

Thanks Both, I've just started a new save in career mode doing the random missions, as if it wasn't addictive enough I now have goals!

I don't know if this is planned, but I would like to suggest a couple of small features in the mission browser window.

First, that it saves the settings (mission filters) between package changes. (Or is it something else that keeps resetting my filter settings..?)

And second, add one more filter, one that filters out repeatable missions. So something like "Show repeatable" - on by default. Preferably this one should only categorise a repeatable mission as repeatable if it was already done once. Alternatively include repeatable missions that have already been completed once into the "Show finished" filter, hiding them if it's unchecked.

The reason for the second request is that a few mission packages have linear "story" missions but with a few repeatable ones mixed in in between. Once you progress far enough in the story the mission list tends to get a bit cluttered up with repeatables which you rarely care about once you've reached that far beyond them.

Obviously nothing of this is major, it's just some quality of life improvements to an otherwise amazing plugin :).

malkuth, sir, i would like to suggest one small feature, and its name is - ribbon.

This means to get insignia rank for missions completed (10 missions completed, 20 etc) (or money earned), and place for it is overlaping mission selection button or additional icon somewhere.

Something like this

35px-Army-USA-OR-02.svg.png35px-Army-USA-OR-04a.svg.png35px-Army-USA-OR-05.svg.png

Hope you find this interesting and simple to add.

PS: the feature could be more extended. For example additionl icon in toolbar looking in medals box like in some air/space sims. And additional field in mission goals with a link for user defined medal in PNG. For example a medal for first Mun landing etc.

Edited by DennyTX

I too am running into the "Stationary Position Required". I discovered it about half way to the Mun. Go figure. I'd been identifying some flaw with my launches after several had not processed correctly.

I had added no new mods. I had CTD'd a couple of times after landing - fixed after deleting and reinstalling MCE. Tried several different ships. All had issues prior to and after departure with the statement "Stationary Position Required" just below the launch requirement from Kerbin.

I've used a variety of ships to test it out, all run into a similar issue except for VERY simple ships. i.e. - 4 part ships. I believe it has something to do with the amount of movement (wiggle) that a ship has at the control point, but trying a variety of locations to control from doesn't appear to help.

In further review in the .mpkg files, where I run into the issue is with the lines like so:

LaunchGoal

{

description = Launch from the surface.

}

Removing these removes the fidgety part. Tried adding a

launchZone = Kerbin

in there to maybe work some specificity. No dice.

Edited by Sarge18

One bug/missing feature report:

(I've searched the forums but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere)

When using the MCE Revert button, it will always take you, and your vessel to the VAB. If you launched from the VAB that's all good and dandy, but if you launched from the SPH it will STILL take you to the VAB, with the space plane and everything. This is quite frustrating when build-testing planes, as they crash a lot (especially with FAR installed) and requires a lot of test flights. To have to exit the VAB and load the SPH between every revert is very annoying and time consuming.

One bug/missing feature report:

(I've searched the forums but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere)

When using the MCE Revert button, it will always take you, and your vessel to the VAB. If you launched from the VAB that's all good and dandy, but if you launched from the SPH it will STILL take you to the VAB, with the space plane and everything. This is quite frustrating when build-testing planes, as they crash a lot (especially with FAR installed) and requires a lot of test flights. To have to exit the VAB and load the SPH between every revert is very annoying and time consuming.

Hmmm never thought about that one I will look into fixing it.

I too am running into the "Stationary Position Required". I discovered it about half way to the Mun. Go figure. I'd been identifying some flaw with my launches after several had not processed correctly.

I had added no new mods. I had CTD'd a couple of times after landing - fixed after deleting and reinstalling MCE. Tried several different ships. All had issues prior to and after departure with the statement "Stationary Position Required" just below the launch requirement from Kerbin.

I've used a variety of ships to test it out, all run into a similar issue except for VERY simple ships. i.e. - 4 part ships. I believe it has something to do with the amount of movement (wiggle) that a ship has at the control point, but trying a variety of locations to control from doesn't appear to help.

In further review in the .mpkg files, where I run into the issue is with the lines like so:

LaunchGoal

{

description = Launch from the surface.

}

Removing these removes the fidgety part. Tried adding a

launchZone = Kerbin

in there to maybe work some specificity. No dice.

You guys are using the launchgoal then. I didn't write this piece of code so I will look into it.

For everyone that is using the LauncGoal and having the Message issue I have a quick fix to test out. Try this and see if it fixes the problem. The download conatians only the .dll file for mission controller just replace the old one in you MC directory with this and test it out. If it works I will make it official. If it does not I will up the values some more.

Quick Fix

Its located in this folder: Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MissionController\Plugins

Edited by malkuth

Just to verify. I initially thought that using quicksave and quickload was not allowed or you would break the consistency of the MCE save data/economy, but looking back a few pages it seems that you yourself malkuth uses quicksave/load freely. So how am I allowed to use quickload without breaking MCE?

I was earlier practising landings with a space plane and did a quicksave at the runway before liftoff, so I had for example 500,000. Once I lift off it subtracted the vessel cost, say 50,000, leaving me with 450,000. I then crashed and used quickload to the runway but still had only 450,000 left. Lifting off again mean another 50,000 would be subtracted from my cash. So clearly this way of using quicksave doesn't work with MCE.

Just to verify. I initially thought that using quicksave and quickload was not allowed or you would break the consistency of the MCE save data/economy, but looking back a few pages it seems that you yourself malkuth uses quicksave/load freely. So how am I allowed to use quickload without breaking MCE?

I was earlier practising landings with a space plane and did a quicksave at the runway before liftoff, so I had for example 500,000. Once I lift off it subtracted the vessel cost, say 50,000, leaving me with 450,000. I then crashed and used quickload to the runway but still had only 450,000 left. Lifting off again mean another 50,000 would be subtracted from my cash. So clearly this way of using quicksave doesn't work with MCE.

I think that type of 'flight testing' is what the MCE revert is supposed to simulate. I.E there is a cost to doing flight testing. Quicksave/load works fine in flight.

I think that type of 'flight testing' is what the MCE revert is supposed to simulate. I.E there is a cost to doing flight testing. Quicksave/load works fine in flight.

EDIT: I now realise what YOU were saying. Thing is I don't want to use Revert for simple flight tests that doesn't change the ship since it takes a lot longer to load (loads into VAB first).

I think you misunderstand me. I understand the "flight testing" idea, but that revolves using the "Revert" button from MCE and hence cost me 1000 kredits but nothing more. What I'm doing with quicksave/quickload costs me the ENTIRE cost of the ship, that's certainly not the idea of flight testing/simulation.

During flight in space I understand that quicksave and quickload work fine since there's no changes in MCE economy between the two points in time (except current vessel value, but that's calculated dynamically). However, between sitting on the launchpad/runway and having launched there's a change in your MCE wallet: the deduction of the main cost of the vessel. So I'm gathering that quickloading to runway/launchpad is not a good idea.

Since I can't save in the atmosphere, the only time I can save when testing planes is on the runway. I'm thinking a workaround to that I've yet to test is to move your plane a bit forward with the engines on, in order to trigger the vessel cost and THEN quicksave. But I'm not sure if the game lets you do that or if MCE reducts the vessel cost once you're off the ground or not. EDIT2: This works. MCE takes the cost of the vessel after initiating the first stage. Works fine if the first stage is NOT an SRB stage since then you would be moving/in atmosphere and you can't quicksave.

Edited by Nelien

EDIT: I now realise what YOU were saying. Thing is I don't want to use Revert for simple flight tests that doesn't change the ship since it takes a lot longer to load (loads into VAB first).

I think you misunderstand me. I understand the "flight testing" idea, but that revolves using the "Revert" button from MCE and hence cost me 1000 kredits but nothing more. What I'm doing with quicksave/quickload costs me the ENTIRE cost of the ship, that's certainly not the idea of flight testing/simulation.

During flight in space I understand that quicksave and quickload work fine since there's no changes in MCE economy between the two points in time (except current vessel value, but that's calculated dynamically). However, between sitting on the launchpad/runway and having launched there's a change in your MCE wallet: the deduction of the main cost of the vessel. So I'm gathering that quickloading to runway/launchpad is not a good idea.

Since I can't save in the atmosphere, the only time I can save when testing planes is on the runway. I'm thinking a workaround to that I've yet to test is to move your plane a bit forward with the engines on, in order to trigger the vessel cost and THEN quicksave. But I'm not sure if the game lets you do that or if MCE reducts the vessel cost once you're off the ground or not. EDIT2: This works. MCE takes the cost of the vessel after initiating the first stage. Works fine if the first stage is NOT an SRB stage since then you would be moving/in atmosphere and you can't quicksave.

Quick load or quicksave (using F5 to save and F12 to load) does not hurt your MCE saves. The reason being is because the Quickload does not change the Ship ID like the revert button does. So quick save and quick load to your hearts content and you will not have any issues.

When your on launchpad there is no real reason to use quickload or save because Revert on Launchpad cost 0. Once you launch the vessel then revert cost money. If you want to use quicksave then all you need to do is push save AFTER you launch the vessel with the space button. That way if you want to quickload instead of Revert you will load right to the the part after pushing the space bar.

If you quick save first, then launch. Then quickload you will indeed loose all your money for that vessel. So just do it after the fact and you will be all set.

Best way to do this if you are sure you want to charge for your vessel, is to add an empty Stage to the bottom of your staging.. (right under the first launch engines and Clamps) that way when you push spacebar you are not actually activating any real staging and you are charging your self for the vessel. Then push F5 to save... Then you can really launch the vessel, and if something happens you can go back to quicksave and you will still be in basic launchmode, without any of the real staging used yet.

Edited by malkuth

You did a fantastic mod. Thank you.

But I have a little request. Because I paused playing KSP for a while I reinstalled all my mods recently.

Now I have a save which is advanced and the mission controller mod which has all the advanced missions locked. Could you add a "skip mission" or a "unlock mission" cheat button, so that I can skip missions I don't want to play the 3rd time just to unlock the next interesting mission?

Version .42

1. Fixed LauchGoal Message requires stationary position. I Upped the Speed value to .10 from .02. If this message is still a problem, please report for I can up it again.

2. Added a new button to Revert. Now you have choice to revert to either the VAB or the SPH.

Quick load or quicksave (using F5 to save and F12 to load) does not hurt your MCE saves. The reason being is because the Quickload does not change the Ship ID like the revert button does. So quick save and quick load to your hearts content and you will not have any issues.

When your on launchpad there is no real reason to use quickload or save because Revert on Launchpad cost 0. Once you launch the vessel then revert cost money. If you want to use quicksave then all you need to do is push save AFTER you launch the vessel with the space button. That way if you want to quickload instead of Revert you will load right to the the part after pushing the space bar.

If you quick save first, then launch. Then quickload you will indeed loose all your money for that vessel. So just do it after the fact and you will be all set.

Best way to do this if you are sure you want to charge for your vessel, is to add an empty Stage to the bottom of your staging.. (right under the first launch engines and Clamps) that way when you push spacebar you are not actually activating any real staging and you are charging your self for the vessel. Then push F5 to save... Then you can really launch the vessel, and if something happens you can go back to quicksave and you will still be in basic launchmode, without any of the real staging used yet.

Thanks for the clarification malkuth! Like I told herulach, the main reason for using quickload instead of revert was for saving time, particularly when MCE Revert put you back in VAB instead of SPH, but now that you've fixed that (Thank you!), it's much less significant, and yet using space bar and empty stages work just fine if I need it!

So I have a working model of Hire Kerbals. I got permission to check out how Story Missions did his version and use it. Even though I had to modify it a huge amount to work with MCE Save Method. I got a pretty awesome system in the works.

This will replace the Insurance cost charged when you launch. (no longer will happen). So what happens now is that If you start a new game the existing kerbals in list are free. (if you start late and have 8 kerbals they free, if only 3 then they are free) After this first list is created, anything added to the list will charge you money. So you hire a kerbal. And then you are charged Default 5000 Credits for that kerbal (this can be changed if you want). You are charged once mission controller notices that you have a new kerbal (based on scene changes).

I'm working on maybe keeping the insurance cost. If a kerbal dies.. Again the list will check for dead kerbals. And if they are dead you will get charged insurance (this is not in yet just idea)

Right now the only bad thing about this system that I can think of might happen is that if you are one of those people that kill a lot of Kerbals, reused names will not be charged (because they are already in list) I'm working on fixing this but might not be in the first release of Kerbal Hire System.

Thats about it. Also thinking of adding a new system based on what the Developers are going to add to there Economy system. Bad rep. Whats your thoughts on this? Bad Rep will effect mission payouts. You can get bad rep from killing kerbals, and gain good rep by getting achievements. :)

Edited by malkuth

How about Kerbalnauts Flight Time Record? :D

Be very possible to add a mission breakdown for flights made and time in space...

Or very least a mission log book that list the missions you done, the money you made and the Kerbals that flew it or did not in case of Automated.

Version .42

1. Fixed LauchGoal Message requires stationary position. I Upped the Speed value to .10 from .02. If this message is still a problem, please report for I can up it again.

well. becomes much better. but it still appear sometimes. 1-2 times from 5 launches. seems gotta be increased a bit more.

Be very possible to add a mission breakdown for flights made and time in space...

Or very least a mission log book that list the missions you done, the money you made and the Kerbals that flew it or did not in case of Automated.

that would be awesome :cool:

I played around with trying to nest the Sub/Nor/Or Mission goals with no joy, it just treats it all as the first statement type. Not surprised, and totally understandable. In this though, I've found that NorMissionGoal seems to need some reworking. The crewCount variable is treated as a regular requirement, even when under NorMissionGoal. I don't know if there's any way to change that at all, but I would think it should also be treated by NorMission as something that shouldn't be true. NorMissionGoal also seems to just show up in the mission screen as NorMission, which would probably be very confusing to any normal user who has not read the documentation. A different text for NorMissionGoal on the mission screen would also be quite useful.

Finally, this isn't really a problem, but more of a feature request. Would it be possible to enforce crewCount = 0 in some way, instead of having 0 be the value for it not mattering. This way you can enforce an unmanned mission. Either using -1 as the new default ignore (which coincidentally seems to already work, i tried the value just in case to see if it would enforce no crew, i was able to complete objectives crewed or uncrewed) or using -1 as the new enforce 0, whichever would be easier.

I completely understand if none of this is possible, just trying to find out if it is. Thanks for all your hard work taking over and maintaining this mod.

Sorry for the delay in responding regarding the LaunchGoal issue. Downloaded the update today, saw the message briefly blip regarding test fix, report if seen, then it went away. Looked good until launch, where the report message popped in after launch. So I think it's getting better but may need some more latitude.

Greatly appreciate you looking into this! I think this may be tied to some of the older scripts - the ones I'm running into friction are the Bootstraps mission sets, which use the LaunchGoal extensively. Commenting out the LaunchGoal allows you to continue the missions, but misses the designers intent.

Thanks!

Jed

I played around with trying to nest the Sub/Nor/Or Mission goals with no joy, it just treats it all as the first statement type. Not surprised, and totally understandable. In this though, I've found that NorMissionGoal seems to need some reworking. The crewCount variable is treated as a regular requirement, even when under NorMissionGoal. I don't know if there's any way to change that at all, but I would think it should also be treated by NorMission as something that shouldn't be true. NorMissionGoal also seems to just show up in the mission screen as NorMission, which would probably be very confusing to any normal user who has not read the documentation. A different text for NorMissionGoal on the mission screen would also be quite useful.

Finally, this isn't really a problem, but more of a feature request. Would it be possible to enforce crewCount = 0 in some way, instead of having 0 be the value for it not mattering. This way you can enforce an unmanned mission. Either using -1 as the new default ignore (which coincidentally seems to already work, i tried the value just in case to see if it would enforce no crew, i was able to complete objectives crewed or uncrewed) or using -1 as the new enforce 0, whichever would be easier.

I completely understand if none of this is possible, just trying to find out if it is. Thanks for all your hard work taking over and maintaining this mod.

Hmmm not sure then. Most everything in MCE works the same. Its most likey because MCE is checking for != 0 as a starting base for the goal.

Nathan Wrote the Norgoal and Orgoal stuff. But I will take a look at it and see what happens.

Edited by malkuth

Awesome, I definitely appreciate it. On second thought about the Nor mission goal though, depending on the effort involved, it'd probably be more useful to allow != inside all Goal statements. I think that would solve any case where NorMissionGoal might be used, and improve functionality. That's just my thoughts, I very well might be missing use cases of Nor that that wouldn't cover.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.