(KSP 1.10 + 1.12 ) Mission Controller 3.2.0 (Final Version) (Updated 6/25/2021)

malkuth

Which asteroid is "the asteroid" When an ARM mission contract appears? I just got my first ARM contract to appear and in the description it refers to "the target asteroid" and how I'm supposed to get "the" asteroid and bring it back.

I have 20 asteroids in the game. How do I figure out which one the mission is referring to, so I don't end up capturing the wrong one and wasting all the money?

Check we're mce is installed and make sure the parts are located in parts directory.

You should have 4.

They're all there, I went through the directories. Everything is there. The repair station just doesn't show up in game and the orbital research part isn't being recognized by the contracts system.

They're all there, I went through the directories. Everything is there. The repair station just doesn't show up in game and the orbital research part isn't being recognized by the contracts system.

I made a hotfix last night for the orbital part. Redownload and see if it makes a difference.

Steven mading the mission should be telling you the name of the asteroid. Should say something like ast 13456 or something. Check the front page the screen shot has a picture of what the mission description should look like.

Edit Update

Still download the new version to fix your Orbital Part.. But I think I know why you can't find the Repair Part. Its in the game but the part actually looks like a Vanilla Solar Panel. The white ones that look like Doors on them I think your just overlooking it because your thinking its a solar panel.. It not click on it and you will see the description.

Edited by malkuth

Could someone explain to me what the bootstraps/BSP missions want when they say deploy a command module and then require "undock the command module"?

2014-04-14_00001.jpg

2014-04-14_00002.jpg

I've made several of these ships with different placements of the docking port, sometimes on the end (docked to the ascent phase), sometimes on the side, sometimes between the cupola and the hitchhiker canister. But whenever I undock the ship, it doesn't register in the mission window. So what exactly do they want?

Also, my current budget is now -2.5M! Not sure how it got that negative so fast!

Could someone explain to me what the bootstraps/BSP missions want when they say deploy a command module and then require "undock the command module"?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18328261/2014-04-14_00001.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18328261/2014-04-14_00002.jpg

I've made several of these ships with different placements of the docking port, sometimes on the end (docked to the ascent phase), sometimes on the side, sometimes between the cupola and the hitchhiker canister. But whenever I undock the ship, it doesn't register in the mission window. So what exactly do they want?

Also, my current budget is now -2.5M! Not sure how it got that negative so fast!

To undock all you have to do is undock from a docking port. But I will look into it and see if maybe I broke it. I will report back in a little bit.

Reading the mission seems the author wanted you to have the command module attached via docking port. So the last part of the mission is to undock the command module.

You can edit the mission file if you want to delete the undock part though. I find it a little strange that undock is a requirement.

Edited by malkuth

Has anyone found the auto-recycling to actually be worth it? It seems like the cost of the parachutes is not being included in what gets recycled for me. Is this by design, or did I mess up my install somehow?

If it is by design, than it's hard to see how auto-recycling could be cost effective. Needing 70 units of drag per ton of mass means you will need 70/500 tons of parachute per ton of other stuff (at best...that's if the mass of the parachutes isn't counted when figuring out how much drag you need). Let's say I want to recycle 1 ton of tanks and/or engines. That means I'll need 70 drag, or 70/500 tons of parachutes (at best...that's if the weight of parachutes isn't counted when figuring how much drag you need).

As I understand it, propulsion parts cost $2800*0.5 per ton, and utility parts cost $2800*3.7 per ton. That means my 1 ton of tanks costs $1400, and my 70/500 tons of parachutes costs $1450. Even if the parachutes also recycle, that only /barely/ saves you money.

Has anyone found the auto-recycling to actually be worth it? It seems like the cost of the parachutes is not being included in what gets recycled for me. Is this by design, or did I mess up my install somehow?

If it is by design, than it's hard to see how auto-recycling could be cost effective. Needing 70 units of drag per ton of mass means you will need 70/500 tons of parachute per ton of other stuff (at best...that's if the mass of the parachutes isn't counted when figuring out how much drag you need). Let's say I want to recycle 1 ton of tanks and/or engines. That means I'll need 70 drag, or 70/500 tons of parachutes (at best...that's if the weight of parachutes isn't counted when figuring how much drag you need).

As I understand it, propulsion parts cost $2800*0.5 per ton, and utility parts cost $2800*3.7 per ton. That means my 1 ton of tanks costs $1400, and my 70/500 tons of parachutes costs $1450. Even if the parachutes also recycle, that only /barely/ saves you money.

Your tanks don't have engines attached to them? You should be getting the money back for everything that is attached to the vessel that is being autorecycled. Your not getting the full amount though.

Autorecycling returns.

63% of vessel total cost (again whats attached to vessel when it is destroyed by KSP)

And with the new update you should be getting more recycling back.. In the older versions fuel always was more then the actual vessel.. Meaning you were getting almost 75% less back in the old versions.

In Todays terms I find it way to much.. But have left it alone because I hardly use AutoRecycle anyway.

You can see the cost of the chutes in the Description...

Autorecycle and recycle (don't forget your retrun vessel is also recycled) is not meant to make launches free. Just another means of cutting cost.

Hitting Alt F12 and watching the debug menu will give you a general idea on your parachutes use, and your money returns. (debug code) you can fine tune your vessels parachutes needs with these values to get it as close as possible to 70 per ton.

If your chutes are giving you way to much drag then you need then you can cut them down, and reduce cost. One of the last lines gives you the values MCE is looking for and your current value.

If your total Tonnage Drag is hitting 45... And your Total Parts drag of vessel is hitting 140.. then you have all kinds of room to reduce parachutes.. as long as the 2nd number does not fall below the first one your all set. there is 2 parts to code, both yellow values give you the info you need.

Edited by malkuth

Toolbar is a seperate mod that mce and many other mods use for their icons.

The way mce is packaged has all the files in the correct place just drop them into game data and good to go.

I forget that a brand new install of toolbar has all the icons hidden though. So I could see how that could be confusing.

How do you show the icons then because none of the buttons work for me no matter how I install the game, and there is no mention how to fix this.

the orbital research part still isnt working for me. i downloaded the new version from dropbox and spaceport and still nothing. love the mod, bums me out i cant do all the missions. the mission isnt recognizing the part, so if you could look into it, i'd preesh. also, you said you uploaded an update last night, but the dropbox and spaceport are still showing the latest upload as 2 days ago. am i downloading from the wrong link?

Steven mading the mission should be telling you the name of the asteroid. Should say something like ast 13456 or something. Check the front page the screen shot has a picture of what the mission description should look like.

It definitely did NOT tell me that. The asteroid name was not in the window like it is in the screenshot. I don't have a screenshot but if another such mission comes up I'll get a screenshot.

Update: here's a screenshot:

Qkq6rdl.jpg

If you blow that up to full size with "view image" you can see that it just refers to "the asteroid" without naming which one.

Edited by Steven Mading

Your tanks don't have engines attached to them? You should be getting the money back for everything that is attached to the vessel that is being autorecycled. Your not getting the full amount though.

Autorecycling returns.

63% of vessel total cost (again whats attached to vessel when it is destroyed by KSP)

And with the new update you should be getting more recycling back.. In the older versions fuel always was more then the actual vessel.. Meaning you were getting almost 75% less back in the old versions.

In Todays terms I find it way to much.. But have left it alone because I hardly use AutoRecycle anyway.

You can see the cost of the chutes in the Description...

Autorecycle and recycle (don't forget your retrun vessel is also recycled) is not meant to make launches free. Just another means of cutting cost.

My tanks do have engines, but they're the same cost-per-ton, so the math that I ran works for engines as well as tanks. In order to recycle some amount of money worth of parts from the propulsion tab, you seem to need to add MORE money worth of parachutes.

For example (made up numbers, but consistent with pricing as far as I can tell):

Cost of engines + dry tanks: $10,000 (to pick a random number) (which would be $10000/($1400/ton) = 7.14 tons, whether it's engines or tanks)

Cost of parachutes needed to recycle that much tonnage: $10,400

Amount recouped by recycling: $6,300

Total cost without recycling: $10,000

Total cost with recycling: $14,100 (as well as worse TWR and dV)

Hitting Alt F12 and watching the debug menu will give you a general idea on your parachutes use, and your money returns. (debug code) you can fine tune your vessels parachutes needs with these values to get it as close as possible to 70 per ton.

If your chutes are giving you way to much drag then you need then you can cut them down, and reduce cost. One of the last lines gives you the values MCE is looking for and your current value.

If your total Tonnage Drag is hitting 45... And your Total Parts drag of vessel is hitting 140.. then you have all kinds of room to reduce parachutes.. as long as the 2nd number does not fall below the first one your all set. there is 2 parts to code, both yellow values give you the info you need.

I'll run some tests with the debug window tomorrow, to make sure my math is correct, and in particular to make sure the parachutes actually aren't recycling. If they are, then the total cost with recycling above would be $7550...so recycling would actually save you some money. Although maybe not enough to be worth the lost dV of carrying a bunch more parachutes.

I'm really enjoying this add-on. As someone new to KSP, it's become the main way I play the game. I have a few comments / suggestions:

1. Working through the "newbie" mission pack (I think it's called Kerbin SOI, there seems to be minor discontinuity. Katurn III requires a dock-o-tron jr (or something like that) part which is not available until I've gain alot more research. So, as an inexperienced player, I'm finding I have to either open a difference mission pack or spend precious money on doing missions for "free" until I've reached the required tech. Might need some tweaking.

2. Perhaps hardcore mode should disable "revert" after takeoff altogether. If you fail a mission, I think a more realistic thing would be try and salvage whatever you can, and maybe go for a partial payment. (not magically reappear at the hangar for $1000). This could strike a balance between "all or none" and "cheap do-overs". To that end, also maybe salvaging should be available from the beginning, but you only get 1/2 value. Research to get the full value.

3. I wonder if you could use this setup to create Kerbal space adventures. This is something that seems to be missing from the mod community. For example, have a mission send you to go investigate an anomoly somewhere. Then build a station to research the anomoly, find evidence of life, etc.

Does this mod change the save file at all? If I email my save file to my mate and he doesn't use this mod, will the save file be rendered useless to him?

Some mods (like FF) save their data in other external files leaving the save file intact. Is this mod like that? Thx.

ok am not sure what am doing wrong here but its not counting down the time it happened twice http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/romie12321/screenshot2.png

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/romie12321/screenshot3.png

That feature is not supported at the moment and most likely does not work anymore due to changes in code. In fact in never really worked well. Something I have on list of things to do though. Why all the newer missions do not use it, the older packs might still have it though.

In fact the screen to check what passive missions are paying out no longer exist.

Edited by malkuth

Does this mod change the save file at all? If I email my save file to my mate and he doesn't use this mod, will the save file be rendered useless to him?

Some mods (like FF) save their data in other external files leaving the save file intact. Is this mod like that? Thx.

No MCE has its own save file called an .sp file Nameofgame.sp its located inside

\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MissionController\Plugins\PluginData\MissionController

I'm really enjoying this add-on. As someone new to KSP, it's become the main way I play the game. I have a few comments / suggestions:

1. Working through the "newbie" mission pack (I think it's called Kerbin SOI, there seems to be minor discontinuity. Katurn III requires a dock-o-tron jr (or something like that) part which is not available until I've gain alot more research. So, as an inexperienced player, I'm finding I have to either open a difference mission pack or spend precious money on doing missions for "free" until I've reached the required tech. Might need some tweaking.

2. Perhaps hardcore mode should disable "revert" after takeoff altogether. If you fail a mission, I think a more realistic thing would be try and salvage whatever you can, and maybe go for a partial payment. (not magically reappear at the hangar for $1000). This could strike a balance between "all or none" and "cheap do-overs". To that end, also maybe salvaging should be available from the beginning, but you only get 1/2 value. Research to get the full value.

3. I wonder if you could use this setup to create Kerbal space adventures. This is something that seems to be missing from the mod community. For example, have a mission send you to go investigate an anomoly somewhere. Then build a station to research the anomoly, find evidence of life, etc.

The missions labeled Boot Straps is not really the newbie pack. Its a pack made by someone else that I decided to include in MCE because in the majority of the missions seem pretty well done. But yes some things like this does happen. The pack itself was made before KSP had science and a research tree.

The newbie pack and the Missions that run along with career mode is called the Random Mission Pack. Helps you get off the ground, and that combined with contract missions should be pretty well at getting your economy well off the ground.

I was thinking about the revert problem.. But the main isssue is that I can disable revert for MCE.. But revert for KSP still exist and well, I can't stop the player from using it. :( I wish I could though.

It definitely did NOT tell me that. The asteroid name was not in the window like it is in the screenshot. I don't have a screenshot but if another such mission comes up I'll get a screenshot.

Update: here's a screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/Qkq6rdl.jpg

If you blow that up to full size with "view image" you can see that it just refers to "the asteroid" without naming which one.

Hmmm for some reason you don't have any asteriods that seem to be passing the MCE check? The good news is the check is working and your not getting any null refrences.. The bad news is that for some reason you have no asteroids.. Interesting.

You can unlock Dev Debug mode in the settings.cfg file and use the Select Asteroid feature and see if that works.

Because of an issue I had the ingame select Asteroid happens when you actually select the Asteroid redirect mission from the Contracts list. Then its locked.

How do you show the icons then because none of the buttons work for me no matter how I install the game, and there is no mention how to fix this.

when you load up the game you should see 1 icon. Next to the icon is a little down arrow. Left click the down arrow and a pop up window will come up. In that pop up window will be a bunch of selections. The top most selection is called configure visible buttons. Click this and a list of icons will show up with a check box. You should see a list of every icon that a mod allows to show up for that screen your in. Select the ones you want to show in the current screen and you will have your icons.

The nature of how all the screens work means that most of them have different save features so you might have to repeat this step with all the other screens. This may seem annoying but you only have to do it once, and then your all set for the rest of your gaming in KSP (as long as you don't delete the save file for you icons).

the orbital research part still isnt working for me. i downloaded the new version from dropbox and spaceport and still nothing. love the mod, bums me out i cant do all the missions. the mission isnt recognizing the part, so if you could look into it, i'd preesh. also, you said you uploaded an update last night, but the dropbox and spaceport are still showing the latest upload as 2 days ago. am i downloading from the wrong link?

The download on dropbox has the fixed part inside of it. If its still giving everyone problems Im going to have to rename the part to a single name.. This will break peoples ships though. :(

Not sure why this is happening. But I will look into it some more. The part of the problem is this line of code in the contracts.cfg file.

PartGoal
{
partName = MCE-OrbitalResearch
partCount = 1
}

The only reason I even have it in there is for people don't forget the part during the mission. But you can delete that line if its still giving you problems. And the next version I will have to break the part name and give it a single line name without the space.

My tanks do have engines, but they're the same cost-per-ton, so the math that I ran works for engines as well as tanks. In order to recycle some amount of money worth of parts from the propulsion tab, you seem to need to add MORE money worth of parachutes.

For example (made up numbers, but consistent with pricing as far as I can tell):

Cost of engines + dry tanks: $10,000 (to pick a random number) (which would be $10000/($1400/ton) = 7.14 tons, whether it's engines or tanks)

Cost of parachutes needed to recycle that much tonnage: $10,400

Amount recouped by recycling: $6,300

Total cost without recycling: $10,000

Total cost with recycling: $14,100 (as well as worse TWR and dV)

I'll run some tests with the debug window tomorrow, to make sure my math is correct, and in particular to make sure the parachutes actually aren't recycling. If they are, then the total cost with recycling above would be $7550...so recycling would actually save you some money. Although maybe not enough to be worth the lost dV of carrying a bunch more parachutes.

I know the 70 tons might seem like a lot but really you can change it if you want in the MCSettings.cfg file if you wish to a lower number. Pretty much everything can be edited.

Most of the testing though as shown that at 70 Tons Drag will put most craft at this weight down in game at about 7-10 m/s. Which is the safe landing speed for most parts.. Any more and things go boom.

But again feel free to change your MCSettings File to your hearts content. Thats why I added it. Your game. ;)

That feature is not supported at the moment and most likely does not work anymore due to changes in code. In fact in never really worked well. Something I have on list of things to do though. Why all the newer missions do not use it, the older packs might still have it though.

In fact the screen to check what passive missions are paying out no longer exist.

so is there a wa for me to pass it so can go on to the next ones are should i pick a new package too do

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.