[Tutorial] Advanced SSTO Design

buzz66boy

I've been working on Cargo SSTOs that kind of fulfill that Pecan. The pic shows an SSTO I've made that can drop off ~36 ton spacecraft in orbit, kind of like a "launch stage". You are absolutely right though, an SSTO only needs to get to orbit as the name implies.

10547936_485571541577834_6041579023520127060_o.jpg

Your videos and work on spaceplanes in general is great. I'm aproaching the same sort of things from the other (rocket) side and have only recently started looking at reusability, for the obvious 0.24 reason.

40t-payload SSTO, a lot quicker and easier to get into orbit, obviously burns a lot of fuel doing it (the 4 radial towers - centre one is the payload) but otherwise 100% recoverable.

8NnkBRPl.png

FTW! You 'da man :-)

I can't see myself wanting to get more than that into orbit for a while! (Or ever, to be honest, but it's still impressive).

Your comments on the differences between building and flying rocket vs spaceplane SSTOs would also be interesting.

So I got to thinking, and if one of those can lift 164 tons, why can't I just add more fuel and engines? The result: a 492 ton payload capable craft to LKO.

I used mechjeb to launch cause it was lagging and I didn't have 20 minutes for a 5 min flight :P

Also I didn't rework some of the fuel lines, so that accounts for the odd fuel levels in 2nd pic.

nolhPRA.png

avyZ13c.png

EDIT: Made a thread for downloading it

Edited by buzz66boy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.