[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

So, I did a search in the thread, and noticed one person has the same problem as me, but didn't see a solution.

Problem is, IR telescope deep field survey, everything works fine, except as soon as I leave the ship to the space centre and come back, efficiency drops from 100% to 0%. If I did something else in the meanwhile (and time accelerated) I reap about 5 science when I focus back on the telescope later.

Apologies in advance if I missed the reply to the previous reporter.

Can't wait to see the next updates, this mod is the best !

So, I did a search in the thread, and noticed one person has the same problem as me, but didn't see a solution.

Problem is, IR telescope deep field survey, everything works fine, except as soon as I leave the ship to the space centre and come back, efficiency drops from 100% to 0%. If I did something else in the meanwhile (and time accelerated) I reap about 5 science when I focus back on the telescope later.

Apologies in advance if I missed the reply to the previous reporter.

Can't wait to see the next updates, this mod is the best !

It's not a bug, it's how the IR telescope functions. If you switch away from the IR telescope ship, you will need to re-calibrate the telescope by sending a Kerbalnaut on EVA, get him close to the telescope, right click it, and select "Perform Maintenance" or whatever it says.

Unfortunately, you'll need to do this every single time you make the telescope vehicle your active ship.

It's not a bug, it's how the IR telescope functions. If you switch away from the IR telescope ship, you will need to re-calibrate the telescope by sending a Kerbalnaut on EVA, get him close to the telescope, right click it, and select "Perform Maintenance" or whatever it says.

Unfortunately, you'll need to do this every single time you make the telescope vehicle your active ship.

It is a bug, the telescope is supposed to require routine maintenance not a Kerbal EVA mission every time you switch ship.

It looks like it was caused by me trying to use doubles with KSPField, KSP doesn't like serialising double precision numbers so this is an easy fix.

It is a bug, the telescope is supposed to require routine maintenance not a Kerbal EVA mission every time you switch ship.

It looks like it was caused by me trying to use doubles with KSPField, KSP doesn't like serialising double precision numbers so this is an easy fix.

Oh! Well then, consider me very glad to have been proven wrong :D

Edited by JDCollie

This is probably due to a known bug with the detection of the supply available to direct conversion generators. If you attempt this with only KTEC generators, you'll probably find it doesn't happen.

In any case, this bug is already fixed ready for the next update.

is it the bug with the presence of direct conversion generators? or does it need to be the one running? Because by default its taking power from the KTEC generator, but by shutting off the KTEC generator, it is using power only from the direct conversion generator and the differential thrust still happens with either generator. Two times, I have loaded back to the quicksave point (image depicts some 30 sec to 1 min since a quicksave point) and, having changed nothing, the thrust doesn't bug out like that. Both times i was watching the thrust in the right click pop up though. Actually, the engine stage was taken into orbit with just those engines, without a hitch, which is odd now that its connected to the ship, this appears. Sorry rambling now.

Hope i'm not breaking any rules, but i would like to up this question. The problem is really painful and i can't find an answer.

hmm I just tested and your right. There is a very slight off center thrust on the Deinonychus. I only had 1.5 torque on my craft (from the 2.5m remote guidence unit) and stock SAS could compensate for it however. On the other hand if I gave mecjeb attitude control it could mostly handle it if I locked the gimble but if it had thrust vectoring it would vear off course rapidly. I dont have a good solution for you other than lock the gimble and ensure you have plenty of torque near your vessle center of mass to compensate.

For example if you are useing the large tank as your rockets central core use two of the smaller ones and stick a reaction wheel between them. The closer to center of mass those wheels are the more effective they are

Edited by merendel

I need alittle help with a question i have. So i have a working telescope in orbit making .50 science a day. where does that science go? can i use it to research in the tech tree?

It goes to the R&D center of course, where you can use it to do research.

hmm I just tested and your right. There is a very slight off center thrust on the Deinonychus. I only had 1.5 torque on my craft (from the 2.5m remote guidence unit) and stock SAS could compensate for it however. On the other hand if I gave mecjeb attitude control it could mostly handle it if I locked the gimble but if it had thrust vectoring it would vear off course rapidly. I dont have a good solution for you other than lock the gimble and ensure you have plenty of torque near your vessle center of mass to compensate.

For example if you are useing the large tank as your rockets central core use two of the smaller ones and stick a reaction wheel between them. The closer to center of mass those wheels are the more effective they are

Unfortunately I don't think this is one that I can do much about, the thrust transform might be slightly off centre compared to the centre of mass of the engine but I don't actually have the unity components of the parts that were created by zzz, so I can't make any changes. I suppose it's possible zzz will spot this and take a look for us.

Still, the offset is only small, so adding some torque should be able to sort it out.

Personaly I've never used the deion anyway. Never setup a longterm base on duna where it was practical to use methane as a primary fuel source. I'm thankfuly not inflicted by the special type of crazy that would prompt me to setup a ground base on EVE. That and by the time the deion becomes an option plasma thrusters on beamed power begin looking very tempting.

Unfortunately I don't think this is one that I can do much about, the thrust transform might be slightly off centre compared to the centre of mass of the engine but I don't actually have the unity components of the parts that were created by zzz, so I can't make any changes. I suppose it's possible zzz will spot this and take a look for us.

Still, the offset is only small, so adding some torque should be able to sort it out.

Would it be possible to add the model files to the repo? Assuming zzz is still around. I have an idea about a stocklike part option for interstellar, and it would be useful to have the original models available to edit. Or the ability to modify the isru model to be more usable.

Would it be possible to add the model files to the repo? Assuming zzz is still around. I have an idea about a stocklike part option for interstellar, and it would be useful to have the original models available to edit. Or the ability to modify the isru model to be more usable.

zzz is the only hope for getting those model files, all I have are the .mu files the same as everybody else who has a copy of Interstellar.

I do, however, have the model files for AArtisan's models so I've fixed the thrust transform on the smaller arcjet model which was stopping it from generating any thrust.

zzz is the only hope for getting those model files, all I have are the .mu files the same as everybody else who has a copy of Interstellar.

I do, however, have the model files for AArtisan's models so I've fixed the thrust transform on the smaller arcjet model which was stopping it from generating any thrust.

Ok, i'll revert my bug fix for that.

Ok, im playing way to much KSP...

I managed to get my SSTO and Station within 20m of eachother, the stations 3.5m docking port went in between my Radiators as it flew by at over 100ms..... SSTO picture below so you can see how far apart the radiators are....

egFAZnB.png

I also managed to dock the 67T SSTO to the 571T station and only used 16MonoPropellent to do it. You can see the 3.5m docking port in the lower left, lets just say I about died when I saw the station coming and I started to turn the SSTO but thought better of it, good thing I did.

ZmPUadA.png

I've decided to push my changes public. Let me know if any of you run into issues not present in the official version. I had to do a fair bit of reconstructing to get my repo synced with the current version, but some things may have slipped through.

As always, if you any feedback or criticism, please let me hear it. It how good games are made. I was going to wait, but I figure faster iteration is better.

Click here to be my lab rat. Just copy the contents of the gamedata folder to your gamedata folder.

Current changes as they stand:

- Fixed data collection on magnetometer
- Replaced non-functional model for .625m arcjet thruster to rescaled 1.25m model
- Improved reactor, radiator, and generator tooltips
- Added water and lithium resource maps to kerbin
- Added (currently unused) water and lithium resource assets
- Added atmospheric intake functionality to atmospheric scoops
- Added full initial electric charge to generators to aid in fusion reactor activation
- Disabled the inital automaticly enabled charging of the alcubierre drive for new vessels
- Added electric charge to computer core, and increased torque to 5/5/5
- Added a more detailed tooltip description of the computer core
- Added tooltip details about power transmission to array and reciever descriptions
- Added tooltip details about generator attachment and modes
- Added note to GC/MS tooltip to indicate that it is also a science experiment.
- Added note that GRS is useful for detecting concentrations of uranium and thorium.
- Added a detailed description of the science labs capabilities
- Added a clarification of the crygenic helium tank, and its use with the IR telescope
- Added note that the magnetometer is also a science experiment
- Added note to clarify that the he-3 does not store helium, and is used as a reator fuel.
- Added tooltip to antimatter containers to indicate maximum capacity.
- Remove old hex can part files that were causing loading errors.
- Removed old methane tank part file that was causing loading errors.

If you have issues with this version, fractal is in no way responsible. Contact me here in the thread, via pm, twitter @wavefunctionp or [email protected]

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Having an issue... but it may just be me.

I have an experimental fusion reactor - microwave transmitter design, that for some reason provides ~1.35 GW of power *more* than the reactor design spec.

Quick notes:

-I have a 2.5m Fusion Reactor connected to both a Solid State generator, and a Direct Conversion generator... also attached is a small Microwave Transceiver.

-The Fusion Reactor's spec max output is 6.8 GW.

-Thermal power output: 5.4GW_th max, .54GW_th @10% idle

-Charged particle power output: 1.4GW_cp max, .14GW_cp @10% idle

=Direct Conversion generator output 1.22 GW_e max. (85% efficiency? Closer to 87...)

=Solid State generator output 4.07 GW_e max (steady-states close to 3.22 which is roughly the 59.5% efficiency...)

*Now the big item. Microwave Transceiver Beamed power: 8.150 GW :huh:

I would expect somewhere closer to 4.44 GW max beamed power. What did I miss?

Here's the visual aid:

screenshot62_zps3b4a41a3.png

This is approximately 10 seconds after activation of the transmitter.

Edited by VaporTrail

*Now the big item. Microwave Transceiver Beamed power: 8.171 GW :huh:

I would expect somewhere closer to 4.44 GW max beamed power. What did I miss?

Known bug that will be fixed in the next version fractal releases. When attaching to different generators to a reactor in this version some parts get confused and report more avalible power than the generators are actualy producing. You'll probably find if you turn on the transmiter for long it tries to transmit more power than the reactor is producing untill it starves the reactor and shuts down.

That thing should be orbiting jool :P You'd have more beamed power than you know what to do with.

Thats the plan, its in Kerbin orbit to get enough AM to head for Jool. Does AM still have issues passing between docking ports on unselected craft?

so i was building and anti matter collection station in kerbin orbit the first two payload went up fine but the third one being the anti matter collectors and the tanks.

i noticed my electric charge was drained i a few seconds so i added some batters and launch claps but my charge still drained.

i believe this is the anti matter stuff as the other launches went fine.

also i have the latest version of KSPI so if anybody else has this problem pleas say.

P.S.sorry if this is a re post.

so i was building and anti matter collection station in kerbin orbit the first two payload went up fine but the third one being the anti matter collectors and the tanks.

i noticed my electric charge was drained i a few seconds so i added some batters and launch claps but my charge still drained.

i believe this is the anti matter stuff as the other launches went fine.

also i have the latest version of KSPI so if anybody else has this problem pleas say.

P.S.sorry if this is a re post.

It could be the antimatter tanks. They require a bit of EC to keep containment and if you have no other source of power they could drain your batteries. It has been awhile since I sent mine up ... but I believe you can disable/turn off the tanks in the VAB. Then they won't start using EC until you re-enable them. I just left mine disabled until the were connected to my station which has a fusion power source.

It could be the antimatter tanks. They require a bit of EC to keep containment and if you have no other source of power they could drain your batteries. It has been awhile since I sent mine up ... but I believe you can disable/turn off the tanks in the VAB. Then they won't start using EC until you re-enable them. I just left mine disabled until the were connected to my station which has a fusion power source.

I actually had an issue the other day because of the EC drain imposed by the AM tanks and time warp kill 2 of my Kerbals on a ship since im using TAC Life support.

It would be nice if they launched disabled and if they defaulted to using MW/MJ instead of EC.

I actually had an issue the other day because of the EC drain imposed by the AM tanks and time warp kill 2 of my Kerbals on a ship since im using TAC Life support.

It would be nice if they launched disabled and if they defaulted to using MW/MJ instead of EC.

That's a good idea. I'll try defaulting the containers to disabled.

edit: Annnnd, done!

- Antimaters containers now have charging disabled by default.

If you have MJ, you have EC. If you have a MJ demand, and MJ are not present, it will consume EC. It is simply how the mod works.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Donziboy2, you had a very nice looking SSTO plane there, very similar than my own design, ie. 2x 2.5m fusion reactors and thermal turbojets. Its not the fastest to takeoff but after that, it does fly pretty well.

And no, there's no such thing as playing too much KSP...its just not possible... ;)