[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I also was excited about the removing KW. It's a nice pack, but it was also large and look quite a bit different than stock than I personally liked. I'd love to develop a stock like/lite version of interstellar that simplifies some of the mechanics and uses parts that look more like kerbals made them. But that's a long term goal. Right now I'm justing learning as much as I can, and contributing in whatever manner I'm capable of.

If you want to remove KW but keep a few of the extra options, Lack's Stock eXtension Thingy is meant as a light weight (it uses only stock textures, so doesn't impact performance, well, at all for me) mod pack alternative to B9 and KW with some really excellent additional stuff. I particularly love the impact absorbing airbags.

Back on topics, I'm not finding The Claw in the new update, presumably because of Interstellar's tree. If/when I find the fix, I'll try to make a ModuleManager config to fix it.

Please don't tell me I have to go edit my save to remove these damn things.

~Steve

If you haven't tracked them for a while, I think they go back to being unknown. Also, you can just hide them from the tracking station where their existence will then not bother you.

Meanwhile, this will work to add The Claw to the Interstellar tree, temporarily until the Interstellar tree is updated. I chose Meta Materials as that is where the KAS grappling hook is.

@PART[GrapplingDevice]
{
@TechRequired = metaMaterials
}

You need to use ModuleManager.dll, and make a text file called SomethingAnything.cfg, put that text in it, and put it in your GameData folder somewhere.

To save yourself the trouble of making the file, here's one I made earlier. You'll have to get and install ModuleManager yourself but it's very easy.

Right click and "Save As" into your GameData folder:

GrapplingDevice_to_Interstellar_mm.cfg

Edited by GavinZac

The claw is in my new sandbox. I just started a new career, so I don't know about that yet.

Yeah it should appear in Sandbox but in Career it's on a 'new' tech node called Actuators (which might mean we get more cool robotics parts in the future!). Since Interstellar doesn't have this node in its tree it doesn't appear. But that little MM config above will fix it for the moment until the KSPI techtree is updated.

I want to get better with the mod but even after Scott Manley's video and the Wiki, I'm still struggling to understand all the reactors, engines, and fuels. Is there somewhere else I can get more info and guides?

I want to get better with the mod but even after Scott Manley's video and the Wiki, I'm still struggling to understand all the reactors, engines, and fuels. Is there somewhere else I can get more info and guides?

Unfortunately those ARE the two good places to go. If there is a specific thing you are having trouble understanding, feel free to PM or ask someone, and we will do the best we can to help explain it.

edit: For example, are you having trouble understanding how the reactor output affects things? Or with the fuels, are you confused as to why one fuel will give you a different ISP or thrust than another?

If you haven't tracked them for a while, I think they go back to being unknown. Also, you can just hide them from the tracking station where their existence will then not bother you.

Meanwhile, this will work to add The Claw to the Interstellar tree, temporarily until the Interstellar tree is updated. I chose Meta Materials as that is where the KAS grappling hook is.

@PART[GrapplingDevice]
{
}

Sorry for a dumb question, but in which file this has to be added?

Sorry for a dumb question, but in which file this has to be added?

Sorry, you need to use ModuleManager.dll, and make a text file called SomethingAnything.cfg, put that text in it, and put it in your GameData folder somewhere.

to save yourself the trouble of making the file, here's one I made earlier. You'll have to get and install ModuleManager yourself but it's very easy.

http://mononyk.us/GrapplingDevice_to_Interstellar_mm.cfg

Thanks guys, it works flawlessly.

BTW

Is it only me or are there no new stock 3.75m reaction wheels? I guess some parts from KW Rocketry will have to stay.

Yeah, I was disappointed by that. I'll probably clone a stock part and reconfigure it until they add one. The wings work quite well in atmo if you are only using 3.75 on launch stages.

Ok... so I've got a max sized Class E asteroid coming my way.

The problem is.. what do I do with it when I capture it? I guess I could clamp a bunch of stuff on it to make it into my LKO station.... or I could try and take it on a grand tour!

I wonder what the mass is going to be.. yeesh. Looks like it's going to weigh in at 150 tons. If I'm reading my quicksave file right. And it's named 'PotatoRoid'. How fun!

Wait... it looks like they ALL have mass of 150.. regardless of size/class... wtf?

Guess I'll have to catch it to find out.

~Steve

Yeah, I was disappointed by that. I'll probably clone a stock part and reconfigure it until they add one. The wings work quite well in atmo if you are only using 3.75 on launch stages.

I'm using 3.75 mostly for 3.75 reactors in orbital power plants. Assembling them in orbit without large number of reaction wheels is a nightmare as they take ages to turn around.

Ok... so I've got a max sized Class E asteroid coming my way.

The problem is.. what do I do with it when I capture it? I guess I could clamp a bunch of stuff on it to make it into my LKO station.... or I could try and take it on a grand tour!

I wonder what the mass is going to be.. yeesh. Looks like it's going to weigh in at 150 tons. If I'm reading my quicksave file right. And it's named 'PotatoRoid'. How fun!

Wait... it looks like they ALL have mass of 150.. regardless of size/class... wtf?

Guess I'll have to catch it to find out.

~Steve

How is this related to Interstellar? I suggest you keep comments like this for the chat section.

I'm really enjoying this mod in career mode. One comment on the tech tree: it probably makes sense to get some radiators before Advanced Electrics (perhaps the first ones should be in Electrics with the first photoelectrics). It's pretty hard to do anything remote controlled (even Comm Sats if you are using remote tech) without radiators, and pretty much impossible to send a probe any distance without them.

I'm using 3.75 mostly for 3.75 reactors in orbital power plants. Assembling them in orbit without large number of reaction wheels is a nightmare as they take ages to turn around.

I did grow to love those radial reaction wheels.

So much easier just to send up more fusion reactors in orbit, which is why I haven't really bothered with solar (difficult to deploy) or even antimatter (completely unnecessary in the stock kerbol system).

I think part of the problem may be that the scaling is too high on reactors. The 4 fold gains at each type and upgrade make fission of limited use (the added lifetime doesn't really play much of a factor in the typical time scale of a playthrough), fusion is plain overpowered which makes antimatter just plain ridiculous (if you even decide to bother with it).

And the Power to weight ratios of reactors makes building smaller more inefficient, which kinda goes against the way tech works in ksp. Bigger is not necessarily better in stock. It is in interstellar. I've considered tweaking the reactors in my experimental version to see how it plays, but I have too many features and usability concerns I want to implement before I focus on balance.

I know some may say that the current implementation is realistic, which may be true, but that doesn't make it necessarily fun.

Fusion SSTO is hard in RSS, I still haven't got my design to reach orbit yet with pure fusion and no antimatter. With thermal turbojets loses power at 40 km.

So the worst part of large-scale game mods after official updates hit:

1. Can't start a new stock KSP game, because later you will have to restart Career with a new tech tree for Interstellar;

2. Doesn't want to play 0.23 without .5 because you are missing out on something nice from Squad;

3. Doesn't want to merge current KSP Interstellar game and save with 0.23.5, because of compatibility issues and lack of asteroids on already started games;

4. Can't install Interstellar and start new 0.23.5 Career until Fractal confirms it doesn't require recompiling which may or may not break existing games.

Gah, such a pickle.

3. Doesn't want to merge current KSP Interstellar game and save with 0.23.5, because of compatibility issues and lack of asteroids on already started games;.

Neither of these is true. They've released a hotfix already that fixes the compatibility, and asteroids appear just fine in already started games.

1. Can't start a new stock KSP game, because later you will have to restart Career with a new tech tree for Interstellar;

2. Doesn't want to play 0.23 without .5 because you are missing out on something nice from Squad;

3. Doesn't want to merge current KSP Interstellar game and save with 0.23.5, because of compatibility issues and lack of asteroids on already started games;

4. Can't install Interstellar and start new 0.23.5 Career until Fractal confirms it doesn't require recompiling which may or may not break existing games.

Gah, such a pickle.

I'm not having any issues, though I'm on my experimental build. I don't expect there are any major problems with the current release. AFAIK, no code has needed changing to make the mod compatible. The only things in development are existing bug fixes, usability enhancements and new feature implementation. The grabber being missing is the only known issue that I know of, and an MM file resolves that issue, but that's a treeloader issue.

I did delete my old saves because there was nothing left to do, and I wanted to play test the progression again.

@PART[GrapplingDevice]
{
}

You need to use ModuleManager.dll, and make a text file called SomethingAnything.cfg, put that text in it, and put it in your GameData folder somewhere.

To save yourself the trouble of making the file, here's one I made earlier. You'll have to get and install ModuleManager yourself but it's very easy.

http://mononyk.us/GrapplingDevice_to...stellar_mm.cfg

Thank you VERY much, kind Sir =)