[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Actually just go to the ksc screen press mod+F12 go to database and reload, then mod+F12 again to exit after its done

Notably, this does NOT work with things Module Manager managed the modules of.

I expect it would also not let ATM do it's thing if you decide to add new parts without exiting KSP, so the new parts will end up not having MM stuff applied, or the textures converted and compressed.

I took phoenix's configs and also added HE3 to Ike, Dres, and Moho without tweaking the values. Presumably Ike and Dres are of similar makeup to the Mun, and Moho is closer to the local star, and thus more solar wind hits it...though, since it's tidally locked to the local star, maybe I should rework the resource map as well...or remove it from Moho due to Moho's atmosphere...

I would've made a proper map but I honestly don't understand how ORS is taking the image and mapping it to longitude and latitude coordinates. There's no documentation on that part at all, so I'd either have to rifle through the code (yeah, no), or get some proper SCANsat maps, overlay them, and try to figure-out how they relate. I tried using the ISAmapsat maps from the KSP wiki and aside from the KSP wiki's maps being of varying quality, what I got as a result didn't make any sense.

Yeah, umm, I've actually already set it up for myself, but thanks anyways. I was just bringing up a reasonable feature that other people might enjoy. I've noticed that it incentivizes ISRU use INCREDIBLY.

Well, you could've shared it then. Usually when someone asks for a new feature for a mod (or the game), they're asking because they either haven't or can't implement it themselves.

Legalities and implied intents aside, it would bother me if I'd worked as much as Fractal seems to have and someone came along and went

"You know what this needs?

*Windows_Recycle_Bin_Empty.wav*

"There! Fixed!"

Not to sound like a **** but, feelings don't matter. What matters is the license. Fractal has explicitly allowed others to do play with his code, and more to the point, has expressed no objection to WaveFunction's meddling in this thread. Asking might be nice, but it is far from required.

As for He-3 being useless, well, most of that uselessness comes from the incredible difficulty of acquiring it. At least that much can be lessened. As for it being incredibly stupid to use in Tokamaks...well, blah. Grr. Erg. Stick it in an AIR.

Edited by phoenix_ca

hey made an account so i could talk here, can someone explain Fusion reactors and how to use them? there is no info online, do not redirect me to any page or tutorial, ive already watched/read it and its outdated or wrong...

hey made an account so i could talk here, can someone explain Fusion reactors and how to use them? there is no info online, do not redirect me to any page or tutorial, ive already watched/read it and its outdated or wrong...

What exactly is your problem? The information on the Reactors page of the wiki isn't wrong.

Edited by phoenix_ca

I made some greenhouse parts for people (like myself) who use both KSPI and TAC Life Support. They have both a regenerative mode (like stock TAC recyclers, but all 3 resources and 95% efficiency) and an ISRU mode that runs off harvested CarbonDioxide (Did I mention it also implements CarbonDioxide harvesting? Turns out it's quite easy, a few lines of ModuleManager code, it's just that KSPI by default wouldn't know what to do with it, but TAC-LS does), Ammonia, and LqdWater. Mostly intended for long-to-indefinite duration missions, as they are fairly bulky, heavy, and require a lot more power than stock TAC-LS (although it's a drop in the bucket for KSPI reactors). You also need the actual refineries to harvest the Ammonia and LqdWater, the greenhouses contain a tiny atmospheric scoop you can use to harvest CarbonDioxide.

No plugin code included in the mod folder, as it uses the TAC-LS and WarpPlugin code, which is assumed to already be present. Uses the greenhouse model zzz made a while ago and put into the public domain.

Download

Questions/comments?

Edited by ArcFurnace

One question, the feature to use megajoules from solar panels locally is in the 11.0 version or the experimental? I remember Fractal showing an amazing screenshot some time ago showing it, and aparently scott manley also uses that feature. Thanks in advance for the help :D

One question, the feature to use megajoules from solar panels locally is in the 11.0 version or the experimental? I remember Fractal showing an amazing screenshot some time ago showing it, and aparently scott manley also uses that feature. Thanks in advance for the help :D

It's in neither.

Ah, He3 seems to have become a bit of a debate! Maybe I shouldn't have gone on about cloud scooping! Well anyway, for my two cents on the issue...

Well, I actually just wrote this paragraph slating why there would be He3 on Mun but then I went a did a bit of research and err, well, I guess you're right! The real world moon is supposed to have a bit, all be it in still very small concentrations. I still have concerns about this - Mun would make life just a little bit too easy in my opinion. Mun of course also doesn't have to be an exact analogue of our own, so maybe this idea would work but use it on other bodies. Maybe Tylo would be a perfect place to have some, still making He3 something of a challenge. I also think cloud harvesting is a brilliant fun engineering challenge (far different from yet another 'land a base on X and press extract') and thus should still be the best source of He3. Perhaps this is exactly what Fractal had in mind? The best way to make this more relevant is an quantity increase in Jool. 10x Would make large harvesters like my own able to fill a tank in 12 minutes instead of 120 - a good upgrade. It could even be increased further to allow for higher atmosphere dives to pull in small quantities and deep dives to rapidly fill many tanks.

The bigger issue still remains - what the hell is the point of it in Fusion? The larger reactors become worthless and the smaller ones are well, small! By the time you have access to He3 you probably don't need every last Megawatt out of small reactors as you're probably already thinking big by then. It is useful in AIRs, which in turn are a fairly useful reactor but still, it could be a lot better.

Also, since we're here...

What is the point in Akula/Sethlans reactors? I just can't work it out!

The core temperature is pathetic, less than a third of the main Fission range so the use in thermal rockets is out. The MW outputs are also lower than the equivalent sized main range (though using both DC and KTEC generators can push them past UF4, though not ThF4 fission). The fuel is also harder to come by needing Ammonia or Nitrogen + Liquid Fuel (or Water to make Liquid fuel) to make the Ammonia which basically means a complicated process only possible on Kerbin and Laythe instead of every single planet. Throw in a much lower lifespan (less than 1/4 @ 100% in most cases) and a forced minimum power of 40% instead of 25% and I really can't figure out what the use is. They are a bit lighter, I'll give them that, but that can't REALLY justify it can it?

Legalities and implied intents aside, it would bother me if I'd worked as much as Fractal seems to have and someone came along and went

"You know what this needs?

*Windows_Recycle_Bin_Empty.wav*

"There! Fixed!"

Still the small matter of it being largely useless.

I actually have a great deal of respect for Fractal. That doesn't mean that I always agree with his designs. Fractal tends to focus on realism, I tend to focus on gameplay. Which is why most of my changes tend to make the game easier or less frustrating like improved tooltips, automatic network power throttling and vacuum plasma mode switching.

i have fusion power being beamed down by satalites but my plasma engines say there arent any mega joules, what parts make megajoules? how many MW or GW make a megajoule? what increases my megajoule storage? how do i transmit megajoules? what recieves megajoules?

currently im transmiting thermal power though the normal microwave transmiter , and recieving with the inline microwave reciever and it doesnt work

The core temperature is pathetic, less than a third of the main Fission range so the use in thermal rockets is out. The MW outputs are also lower than the equivalent sized main range (though using both DC and KTEC generators can push them past UF4, though not ThF4 fission). The fuel is also harder to come by needing Ammonia or Nitrogen + Liquid Fuel (or Water to make Liquid fuel) to make the Ammonia which basically means a complicated process only possible on Kerbin and Laythe instead of every single planet. Throw in a much lower lifespan (less than 1/4 @ 100% in most cases) and a forced minimum power of 40% instead of 25% and I really can't figure out what the use is. They are a bit lighter, I'll give them that, but that can't REALLY justify it can it?

Well its benefit over normal fission is you don't need to deal with actinides, and while you can't turn it on or off without kerbal, you can refill it without one, while it's online. It definitely has it's purpose, even if it's not particularly clear. The upgraded one is a charged particle version, so it seems intended for MJ production rather than thermal nozzle. They also seem to net a bit more thrust (and lower isp), at least at sea level.

Some generators are not particularly obvious, with the acula and the AM one being a bit difficult to figure out.

Regular fission, with refinery/lab and a kerbal (+ depleted fuel tank)- can go extremely long without refuel since you can reuse the fuel it has. You'll need maintenance, especially for thorium, and you can easily find more fuel if you need it. Needs a single generator.

Acula fission, lasts pretty long as well, and can be refueled without turning off. Finding fuel is a bit problematic, but it makes a good power network around kirbin (though not nearly as good as fusion).

Fusion - well lots of power, and can turn on/off at will, so pretty great stuff.

AMFusion - well uses a bit AM, but basicly almost same power as fusion, for way less weight. Since it uses so much less AM than regular AM reactor, you need to carry and power much less AM storage, which will probably need a secondary generator to be safe, etc. One of the best until you get upgraded AM.

AM - great stuff, but you got to collect AM, and well, the collectors and storage could be pretty weighty before you are at the end and have upgraded reactors.

It depends if you're talking about before or after upgrades. Unupgraded, the Sethlans/Akula reactors are a lot more complicated in the way they behave than the other reactor types because you can control their temperature by changing the amount of radiators on the ship - they lose power output with increasing temperature but provided you get the balance right you can get improved specific impulse performance compared to the other unupgraded fission reactors while saving on radiator mass as well. Their performance as a rocket in atmosphere, however, is pretty poor because convection will keep the temperature low.

I find those reactors with thermal rockets really useful for early ships on longer range voyages, that might be one area to consider taking a look at them in.

i have fusion power being beamed down by satalites but my plasma engines say there arent any mega joules, what parts make megajoules? how many MW or GW make a megajoule? what increases my megajoule storage? how do i transmit megajoules? what recieves megajoules?

currently im transmiting thermal power though the normal microwave transmiter , and receiving with the inline microwave receiver and it doesnt work

Plasma thrusters work off electricity (in megajoules), not thermal power. If you're going to use thermal power to power a plasma thruster, you need an electrical generator (same as you'd use for a reactor) connected to your thermal receiver. This is quite inefficient (both in mass and power) compared to the regular (umbrella) receiver. The thermal receiver isn't as hard to aim as the umbrella receiver, but getting a high power/mass ratio is easier with the umbrellas.

As for aiming the umbrellas, look into Infernal Robotics... The pistons, 1/4 hinges, and 1/2 or 1/4 rotatrons are perfect for setting up an easily workable system.

Edited by VaporTrail

I would've made a proper map but I honestly don't understand how ORS is taking the image and mapping it to longitude and latitude coordinates. There's no documentation on that part at all, so I'd either have to rifle through the code (yeah, no), or get some proper SCANsat maps, overlay them, and try to figure-out how they relate. I tried using the ISAmapsat maps from the KSP wiki and aside from the KSP wiki's maps being of varying quality, what I got as a result didn't make any sense.

Well, you could've shared it then. Usually when someone asks for a new feature for a mod (or the game), they're asking because they either haven't or can't implement it themselves.

Not to sound like a **** but, feelings don't matter. What matters is the license. Fractal has explicitly allowed others to do play with his code, and more to the point, has expressed no objection to WaveFunction's meddling in this thread. Asking might be nice, but it is far from required.

As for He-3 being useless, well, most of that uselessness comes from the incredible difficulty of acquiring it. At least that much can be lessened. As for it being incredibly stupid to use in Tokamaks...well, blah. Grr. Erg. Stick it in an AIR.

Yes and he has made nice improvements, enough to get me use his version. If he decides to start removing reactors and other features, because he couldn't find the use, or deems them too complicated, I'm pretty sure I'd go back to the Fractals version. If I wanted simple, I'd likely play stock KSP.

Yes and he has made nice improvements, enough to get me use his version. If he decides to start removing reactors and other features, because he couldn't find the use, or deems them too complicated, I'm pretty sure I'd go back to the Fractals version. If I wanted simple, I'd likely play stock KSP.

Yes, but there's no reason that a complex system can't be presented in simple terms. What we have right now with KSPI is many complex concepts explained in complex terms. There's even a fair bit of irreducible complexity in learning the main concepts (like power management and production), which is problematic.

you need an electrical generator (same as you'd use for a reactor) connected to your thermal receiver. This is quite inefficient (both in mass and power) compared to the regular (umbrella) receiver. The thermal receiver isn't as hard to aim as the umbrella receiver, but getting a high power/mass ratio is easier with the umbrellas.

If you're using far, the thermal receiver combined with a generator can be much better for spaceplanes since they're more aerodynamic, but for all other uses, the umbarella is better.

If you're using far, the thermal receiver combined with a generator can be much better for spaceplanes since they're more aerodynamic, but for all other uses, the umbarella is better.

Don't use FAR personally, so I don't remember it. I've thought about using a PFaring over an umbrella reciever (w/ IR mount) for a spaceplane, but that kind of thing requires a relatively HUGE fairing (in excess of 3m IIRC) to actually pull off.

In that vein, if you're going to use thermal anyway, you might be better off using the upgraded thermal turbine when you get it for at least your initial boost phase. Atmospheric mode to where it's starting to get inefficient, transition to rocket, rocket to edge of atmosphere, then plasma thruster to orbit and beyond.

Sooo, I'm currently a) trying to figure out that microwave-stuff and B) failing at it.

iLUyiuStTJvZ.png

imeMoUzF0axLW.png

Problems:

- obviously, the generatorcraft is transmitting, and also obviously, the ship doesn't get any juice

- the generatorcrafts keep shutting down after i change the active craft... well, or at least they're sometimes offline when I go back to them (only moments later). they're not overheating.

How can I get this test-setup working? :(

Sooo, I'm currently a) trying to figure out that microwave-stuff and B) failing at it.

http://i2.minus.com/iLUyiuStTJvZ.png

http://i1.minus.com/imeMoUzF0axLW.png

Problems:

- obviously, the generatorcraft is transmitting, and also obviously, the ship doesn't get any juice

- the generatorcrafts keep shutting down after i change the active craft... well, or at least they're sometimes offline when I go back to them (only moments later). they're not overheating.

How can I get this test-setup working? :(

Wavefunction made some pretty good videos:

Are those two separate transmission vessels?

Also, there are no radiators on your receiving craft. Those are necessary.

It may help you to pull up the MJ manager on the toolbar.

EDIT: About the reactors shutting down, that happens sometimes with fusion. Has to do with the start-up laser. Slapping some more batteries on there might fix that problem.

Those receivers on the launchpad are pretty overkill. I guess acceptable for testing, but I hope you don't plan on using that setup for flight. Though you don't appear to be using FAR so not as much of an issue. I would recommend using just one or two umbrella receivers with Infernal Robotics pieces to actuate them. That will also give you a good feel as to how the angle of reception works.

Edited by Atrius129

the radiators are inside the cargo bay, it's a test craft, i would have opened them in orbit. They have enough heat storage*.

Yes, those are two generator vessels, both with 1x 3.75 fusion reactor and two solid state generators.

I made a different test and cheated another vehicle into orbit (around 1.500 km), right above KSC. Now it works flawless (although MechJeb has problems steering the thing, but that might be because of the two huge radiators, which are mounted on the bottom of the cargo bay, ergo not in line with CoM).

The receivers on the rocket should be able to pick up the transmission from the two ground craft when it stands on the launchpad, though. I mean, I should have all angles covered :D

Other questions:

- What's the difference between the huge fold-able transceiver and the normal ones?

- Also, if I use a few generator-satellites and want to interlink them, do they need a second relay-dish in addition to the transmitter-dish? To make sure they all "share" their energy and whichever has a connection to a demanding craft sends it all?

Edit: to be honest, I made that overkill because I liked how it looked :D

Edited by cy-one

Could it be because the Spaceplane Hanger is in the way? Microwave Power Transmission is based off line of sight.

You should also be right-clicking the receiver that is pointing towards the generators. The ones facing away won't receive any power because they aren't pointing in the right direction.

Another thing to check is that your engine is using the correct fuel mode (right click while on the launch pad). If it's a plasma thruster, I believe they default to Quantum Vacuum mode, which doesn't work for take-off.

Edited by annikk.exe