[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I can't tell you what you should like or play with, but I'm going to use TACLS for the first time in my 0.24 career. It goes well with budgets and I'll likely use modular kolonisation as well to be able to build bases for science farming. FAR, DREC, RT2 are also on the list. I also decided to not use procedural fairings because I can get away with too much, so I will constrain myself to smart design with MSI and fit everything I need in tiny boxes like real spacecraft.

Kethane has it's uses, there are many mods that have it as a dependency, like Modular Kolonization. I do Modular Kolonization (Link) and it is a good long term mod for planning out an building a functional colony. beyond that it is up to you.

MKS is not dependent on kethane, it can work with kethane or ORS.

NeoAcario,

I will probably use TACLS+DRE+FAR.

TACLS works really good with KSPI because it limits timewarping a lot, and FAR+DRE combination is cool by itself, but with KSPI it will limit those crazy reentries as 10+ km/s too.

B9 already has compatibility problems in 0.23/0.23.5, sadly, and it will probably have even more in 0.24, so it seems to be not very good idea.

B9 works just fine if you apply the 3rd party fixes. The main issue is that B9's creator is working on a new version of B9, the exising B9 thread is locked but at the end of the thread is a link to the fixes.

My money would be on FAR, DREC. Add TAC if you want to deal wither kerbals needing life support.

P.S. I have so many mods installed it would take me 20 minutes to list them all :P

I never clip because I hate those phantom forces that make your vessel randomly explode. :P

The only parts I usually shy away from clipping are those damn hex cans everyone loves to use in their mods. They are made from kraken scales....

Edited by Donziboy2

[bumping this because still have this issue :P ]

So i've run into a bit of a problem i think...

I built an aluminum hybrid rocket with a refinery to hop around the Mun collecting science (pretty much its a copy of Scott Manley's Outlander ship )

and i have a relay system powering it, I can mine alumina, and use it to activate the aluminum electrolysis option and it uses the alumina, but its not giving me any aluminum or oxidizer at all...i even time warped for an hour in game and nothing.. am i doing something wrong or did i break something in my files somehow?

If you do some weird placement, you'll need to connect fuel lines. Much the same as you would need to connect oddly placed fuel tanks. You'll need to place them backward for the isru.

If you do some weird placement, you'll need to connect fuel lines. Much the same as you would need to connect oddly placed fuel tanks. You'll need to place them backward for the isru.

damn, that thought occurred to me almost the moment i landed... guess ill try and do some cfg magic to flip the ship out with one that has the fuel lines :P (yeah im lazy that way lol) thanks for answering

If you're suffering from the incompatibility between this mod and the LazTek Dragon V2, in which the Dragon trunk keeps decoupling over and over as soon as you get it to the launch pad, I have found the piece of code in Interstellar that causes this incompatibility, and have hacked together a quick workaround - basically, a replacement WarpPlugin.dll. It works for me and doesn't *appear* to break any of the rest of Interstellar.

...but it's just a quick hack I knocked up in five minutes, so I don't want to put it up for general download yet until it's a bit more tested. If you want it and don't mind taking a chance on said hack, message me with where, and I'll send you a copy.

-c

(Also, I've sent in a pull request. It's unlikely FractalUK will want to use it as is, as it's kind of hackish, but maybe it's a start?)

NeoAcario,

I meant timewarp of cource. What i wanted to say is that TACLS limits time you kerbals can survive, so you no longer can "timewarp few years to get needed resources/science from labs/etc...". And KSPI warp drive becomes more usefull obviously, allowing you to save kerbals if things go wrong,for example, which otherwise would have been impossible.

Lack of proper radiators would cause them to shut down. You are closer to the sun now. There's a slider in VAB shows heat radiation at different distances from the sun.

That's what I assumed the problem was, but this thing seems to die even in a Kerbin orbit.

2014-07-09_00002.jpg

It definitely seems to have plenty of sufficient cooling according to the thermal guide.

2014-07-09_00001.jpg

Is it normal that when I switch to the vessel, all the radiators show the opening animation, as though they'd been closed?

Edited by technion

That's what I assumed the problem was, but this thing seems to die even in a Kerbin orbit.

https://lolware.net/kerbal/2014-07-09_00002.jpg

It definitely seems to have plenty of sufficient cooling according to the thermal guide.

https://lolware.net/kerbal/2014-07-09_00001.jpg

Is it normal that when I switch to the vessel, all the radiators show the opening animation, as though they'd been closed?

I may no what you problem is. Look at the resoure section no UF4. Meaning you're reactor ran out of fuel .

Edit:

Though u do have ThF4 so, may be not the issue.

I'm running into a problem/glitch with the Tokamak fusion reactor.

I have one on a ship to Dres and its running a DT Vista engine. Now, I'm using a beamed power receiver to reactivate the reactor prior to a correction burn. It's getting enough power to activate, because I've started reactors with less MW than it is receiving on other missions. But it can't start up in Deuterium/Tritium mode. It is able to start in helium-3 mode, but thats it (and since I had very little Helium 3, it shut down again quickly). Also, in the resources slider, the deuterium/tritium resource levels are called NaN/total capacity, and it is being consumed at a rate of NaN.

Once I saw NaN I knew it was a glitch. So how do I fix it? Is this a save game-breaker?

BTW it's using 4x deuterium/tritium cryostats instead of hex cans. I used hex cans on another mission and it is working fine, but decided to use cryostats on this one because I didn't know how much the DT Vista consumed and wanted plenty. Does that play a role?

I also notice that a lot of times when I leave a ship with a running reactor, and then go back to it later, the reactor has shut back down. Is there any way to just keep it running full time?

EDIT - Went back in and reloaded it. The reactor is producing MegaJoules, and is now working on D/T mode. However the engine is flamed out and says it is "Deuterium deprived"...though oddly the reactor is not.

I'm confuzzled...

Edited by Scootaloo

https://lolware.net/kerbal/2014-07-09_00002.jpg

https://lolware.net/kerbal/2014-07-09_00001.jpg

Th4 is best used on manned flights, it looses efficiency quickly over time. There may well be a bug in calculating output + losses over time with the transmitter and Th4 but its hard to say, I use UF4 reactors all the time with no issues but there have been issues in the past with the Th4, was that satellite launched before you upgraded anything or are you launching it like that?

Can you give use more info on what you do and how it happens so we can repeat it.

I'm running into a problem/glitch with the Tokamak fusion reactor.

I have one on a ship to Dres and its running a DT Vista engine. Now, I'm using a beamed power receiver to reactivate the reactor prior to a correction burn. It's getting enough power to activate, because I've started reactors with less MW than it is receiving on other missions. But it can't start up in Deuterium/Tritium mode. It is able to start in helium-3 mode, but thats it (and since I had very little Helium 3, it shut down again quickly). Also, in the resources slider, the deuterium/tritium resource levels are called NaN/total capacity, and it is being consumed at a rate of NaN.

Once I saw NaN I knew it was a glitch. So how do I fix it? Is this a save game-breaker?

BTW it's using 4x deuterium/tritium cryostats instead of hex cans. I used hex cans on another mission and it is working fine, but decided to use cryostats on this one because I didn't know how much the DT Vista consumed and wanted plenty. Does that play a role?

I also notice that a lot of times when I leave a ship with a running reactor, and then go back to it later, the reactor has shut back down. Is there any way to just keep it running full time?

EDIT - Went back in and reloaded it. The reactor is producing MegaJoules, and is now working on D/T mode. However the engine is flamed out and says it is "Deuterium deprived"...though oddly the reactor is not.

I'm confuzzled...

DT vista engines like to consume the tritium from the reactor before using its only supply. Always be careful to keep some in the reactor and engines to keep things running. It is also important to remember to turn on breeding each time you turn the reactor on, as you will run out of trittium if you forget and can get stranded.

Fusion can be a bit buggy. I've found that making sure you have enough EC capacity can alleviate some of the issues, such as generators shutting down when you focus or launch them. But others like the generators mis-reporting to the resource manager their output can more problematic. You have to result to capping your demand manually with a transmitter for instance, or turning off generators so that output isn't misreported.

The NaN thing is just a strait bug. I haven't personally run into it, but there have been quite a few reports. You'll need to save file edit, transfer the resource around or use a mod to edit the resource in quesiton which may fix the error. Though, sometimes simply restarting or switching ships may help. It's hard to say because I've never been able to reproduce the bug.

DT vista engines like to consume the tritium from the reactor before using its only supply. Always be careful to keep some in the reactor and engines to keep things running. It is also important to remember to turn on breeding each time you turn the reactor on, as you will run out of trittium if you forget and can get stranded.

Fusion can be a bit buggy. I've found that making sure you have enough EC capacity can alleviate some of the issues, such as generators shutting down when you focus or launch them. But others like the generators mis-reporting to the resource manager their output can more problematic. You have to result to capping your demand manually with a transmitter for instance, or turning off generators so that output isn't misreported.

The NaN thing is just a strait bug. I haven't personally run into it, but there have been quite a few reports. You'll need to save file edit, transfer the resource around or use a mod to edit the resource in quesiton which may fix the error. Though, sometimes simply restarting or switching ships may help. It's hard to say because I've never been able to reproduce the bug.

There was a supply of tritium when I made that post. BUT I just went back and the resource bar went from full bright green since the last time I checked the ship, to a dull green indicating empty on both D and T. NaN is also effecting helium 3 now. It seems like its a cascading error that gets progressively worse every time I load the game and ship.

I've never edited a save file before. How do I do it?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/292-0-24-Update-Update-3

> * Repurposed Engine Nacelle parts

> Those grey, largely useless engine body sections are now given new purpose as combination air intake + fuel tank units, making them a lot more useful for building spaceplanes.

The Interstellar mod may need to rethink it's repurposing of these parts to avoid a conflict now.

There was a supply of tritium when I made that post. BUT I just went back and the resource bar went from full bright green since the last time I checked the ship, to a dull green indicating empty on both D and T. NaN is also effecting helium 3 now. It seems like its a cascading error that gets progressively worse every time I load the game and ship.

I've never edited a save file before. How do I do it?

It's a text document. You'll need to locate the vessel and part in question and edit the resource values. You might start with searching for "nan". I'm mostly guessing here though.

Th4 is best used on manned flights, it looses efficiency quickly over time. There may well be a bug in calculating output + losses over time with the transmitter and Th4 but its hard to say, I use UF4 reactors all the time with no issues but there have been issues in the past with the Th4, was that satellite launched before you upgraded anything or are you launching it like that?

Can you give use more info on what you do and how it happens so we can repeat it.

Thanks or that.

I made a global jump to Th4 when I was trying to land a large spacestation on Tylo with a thermal rocket and couldn't get the TWR with UF4 - pretty much kept to it after that. In this case, the reactors were put into orbit with a plan to assist a spaceplane - it was never leaving Kerbin so the short lifespan didn't worry me.

I launched it exactly as per the screenshot, put it in orbit, played with my spaceplane then did other things for a few days. I wasn't really worried about losing efficiency, but I did expect it to at least be operational. When I came back, it was decay heating.

I can't test from here but I'll retry it with UF4 and see how it goes shortly.

Thanks or that.

I made a global jump to Th4 when I was trying to land a large spacestation on Tylo with a thermal rocket and couldn't get the TWR with UF4 - pretty much kept to it after that. In this case, the reactors were put into orbit with a plan to assist a spaceplane - it was never leaving Kerbin so the short lifespan didn't worry me.

I launched it exactly as per the screenshot, put it in orbit, played with my spaceplane then did other things for a few days. I wasn't really worried about losing efficiency, but I did expect it to at least be operational. When I came back, it was decay heating.

I can't test from here but I'll retry it with UF4 and see how it goes shortly.

Oops, my bad. I guess it doesn't really matter though - I would not want to launch a black hole from planetary surface anyway :0

I would imagine launching components to contain/construct it - and utilize mass from asteroids or KBOs to actually form it.

I know nothing about the science of it (aside from that paper, and the fact that the Star Trek Romulan Warbirds were apparently powered by them :D ).

The containment doesn't have to be very large as long as you can handle the appropriate magnetic fields, the black hole itself would be about .9 attometers in radius. It might make landing on a large asteroid more useful from a gameplay perspective, if one could "mine" the asteroid for mass.

I noticed that all three MW receiver/transceivers have the same mass (25 kg). I guess it feels right for the small receiver, but how much should the two big transceivers weigh?

I know nothing about the science of it (aside from that paper, and the fact that the Star Trek Romulan Warbirds were apparently powered by them :D ).

The containment doesn't have to be very large as long as you can handle the appropriate magnetic fields, the black hole itself would be about .9 attometers in radius. It might make landing on a large asteroid more useful from a gameplay perspective, if one could "mine" the asteroid for mass.

yeah - there's already an asteroid mod floating around in these forums that allows you to extract 'Rock' from an asteroid, and then use that empty space to store other resources in the asteroid...

We could jury-rig a black hole generator from this with existing KSPI modules - use a kethane gen to convert rock into 'Black_hole_mass' using MJ, store it in a tank using the blow-up-if-unpowered module from the antimatter tanks, and generate power using a reactor module.

it would lack many of the specific bits of the ideal thing though - specifically the increase of wattage with decreasing mass left in the black hole, as well as many other important details.

Editing the save file worked! ^^

Unfortunately another mission of mine went afoul. It was a mission to Eve with a landing on Gilly, and I used IR-tilting 1.25m plasma thrusters the same way that Scott Manley used IR hinges on nuclear engines on his Duna Express ship in Interstellar Quest. I had to abort into a flyby, I ditched the laboratory and put all the kerbals in the command pod to save weight, and when I returned to the ship later to do a burn to return it to Kerbin, I saw that something either glitched with IR, Interstellar, or both. The plasma engines were both floating in space about 30 feet to the right of the ship (one closer than the other, the further one was 30 feet out), and they were still apparently part of the ship. When I throttled up they would start up. I hoped it was just a rendering error, and that the forces would still be as if they were in their original position, but nope, the forces corresponded with the engines and it started spinning. It then began slowly oscillating before the engine section broke off.

I deleted the flight. Apparently the Kraken just wanted it more. :(

I've been thinking about 0.24 and KSPI, since 0.24 will allow to get money from resources recovered from ships landed on Kerbin then interesting way of making money in KSPI 0.24 could be farming antimatter and bringing it back to Kerbin :D.

On the other side antimatter and Helium 3 could be now available at launchpad but very expensive

I shudder to think about how the budget will effect my beamed power network. I imagine 3.75m fusion reactors will be hella expensive. Right now I have 3 in Kerbostationary orbit, one in a 300km orbit, one on the surface a few km from the KSC, and now a 3.75m fusion reactor up there too.

Bye bye beamed power. :(

Editing the save file worked! ^^

Unfortunately another mission of mine went afoul. It was a mission to Eve with a landing on Gilly, and I used IR-tilting 1.25m plasma thrusters the same way that Scott Manley used IR hinges on nuclear engines on his Duna Express ship in Interstellar Quest. I had to abort into a flyby, I ditched the laboratory and put all the kerbals in the command pod to save weight, and when I returned to the ship later to do a burn to return it to Kerbin, I saw that something either glitched with IR, Interstellar, or both. The plasma engines were both floating in space about 30 feet to the right of the ship (one closer than the other, the further one was 30 feet out), and they were still apparently part of the ship. When I throttled up they would start up. I hoped it was just a rendering error, and that the forces would still be as if they were in their original position, but nope, the forces corresponded with the engines and it started spinning. It then began slowly oscillating before the engine section broke off.

I deleted the flight. Apparently the Kraken just wanted it more. :(

You have to be careful with many kspi parts, they're models look great, but they aren't the best functional models.