[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

So, I checked at the Space Center, my Munar Explorer is considered "Landed at the Mun". And yes, as I explained, my fuel line goes from the rocket to the refinery.

So I flipped the craft to put the ISRU in contact with the ground, to no effect. The ISRU still doesn't recognize the Mun as a source of Alumina.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/53233074302567102/543B18345586DD89D0CC2707EEBF42E07FB32E8F/

Is the alumina everywhere on the Mun, or just on certain spots? I tried landing at several other places, to no avail.

The Mun Alumina resource map is at *\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WarpPlugin\PlanetResourceData\mun_alumina.png

try opening the planetaryresourcedefinitions file, and in

PLANETARY_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = Alumina

celestialBodyName = Mun

resourceName = Alumina

mapUrl = WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/mun_alumina

resourceScale = LINEAR_SCALE

scaleMultiplier = 1

displayTexture = WarpPlugin/alumina_resource_point

displayThreshold = 1

}

change

mapUrl = WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/mun_alumina

to

mapUrl = WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/vall_water [this is 100% everywhere on the body]

if that then works, that implies that your exact location on the mun has no alumina. (it seems that the darker the point, the less of that resource (in the maps)). The mun alumina map has points that seem totally black - no alumina.

Edited the resources file to make sure I did not en up in a place with no Alumina, but the problem persists. So the problem is not the location. On my flight log, I am positively landed. Maybe an incompatibility inter mods? But even when I flipped the ship and put the refinery in direct contact with the Mun surface, the alumina extractor is still offline ....

WaveFunctionP, which log are you talking about?

Let me know of any errors you see. red or yellow text in the debug log. I've done no testing on this version. I can't say that I can or will fix them, but I won't know for a while as I'm not playing kspi just yet.

I've started such a list, if anyone cares to discuss, add, substract, multiply :)

Here's my take on the balanced career costs:

Aluminum Hybrid Rocket 1450

Comparable to other solid fueled boosters

Deinonychus 1D Liquid Methane/Oxygen Engine 5450

Comparable to similar engines, ie. MainSail

Thermal Rocket Nozzle (0.625 m) 6250

Thermal Rocket Nozzle (1.25 m) 23250

Thermal Rocket Nozzle (2.5 m) 39250

Thermal Rocket Nozzle (3.75 m) 54250

A premium is charged here because of the very high temperatures these nozzles can be exposed to with liquid/gas/plasma cores, requiring exotic alloys, active cooling, and such advanced technologies.

Thermal Turbojet (1.25m) 6250

Thermal Turbojet (2.5 m) 13650

Same as with the thermal rockets, the turbojet machinery needs advanced engineering, therefore this would benefit reuse rather than staging of such parts.

Plasma engine (0.625m) 8650

Plasma engine (1.25 m) 15550

Plasma engine (2.5 m) 29450

The small plasma engine is comparable in cost, albeit more expensive, than a regular ion engine. The larger ones are a lot more expensive given their maximum power rating.

For the reactors, we need to figure out the cost of fuel at the same time... and I'm not up to this yet. But that's my start. The idea is to prevent being able to build torchships like sausages later in the science tree... those Alcubierre drives, antimatter storage pods, and such near-magic technology probably use very rare, very expensive materials ... Would be nice to integrate that into asteroid ressource mining... you need to grab and process asteroids to extract precious metals which goes into starship parts production, even if only using the roots currency as a proxy, with very lucrative contracts attached to such missions... But that is a whole other thread. :)

Will you consider allowing antimatter to be fueled on the pad for an incredibly high cost? Also the implementation of being able to sell antimatter would be great, too.

Cost. Scientists claim that antimatter is the costliest material to make. In 2006, Gerald Smith estimated $250 million could produce 10 milligrams of positrons (equivalent to $25 billion per gram); in 1999, NASA gave a figure of $62.5 trillion per gram of antihydrogen. -- From Wikipedia :cool:

With the new cost implementation, a lot of things become more interesting in kspi. I'd like to look at the recovery api and save the quantities of kspi resources for later use.

We need to look at the value of the parts themselves first though and consider the cost of infinitely available resources as well as which resources should or should not be available.

Some people are going to disagree and say that all resources should just be available from the vab with a cost, but I'm not sure that makes for interesting gameplay. Indeed, it may just encourage currency grinding, which would be worse than resource grinding IMO. And, no, I don't care about real world costs as far as realism goes.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

I'm intensely interested in what we, as a community, decide to be balanced for all of our part costs and fuel costs. I fully intend to re-set up my Antimatter infrastructure. I was pulling down about 1m per 2 Kerbin Months. That's a lot of cheddar.

I'm just rebuilding my Space Program as I wait for you all to design what we think a balanced list of costs is...

I love new, heavy, KSP updates. Gives me an excuse to start a new campaign.

~Steve

Hurry up with that list!

Well if you want my 2 cents, I think that some of these resources should be both expensive and rare, for instance the antimatter stores on kerbin, in edition to being ungodly expensive for a grain of it and would only fill up at the rate of one collector mounted on Kerbin's surface. Enough to get you started if you're willing to shell out more than it would cost to put a collector in kerbin's sweet spot and get antimatter for free.

however I'm not sure if there's a way to put a limit on available resources outside of addons, so that might just rule it out of the question.

i have a bug can someone help i do not know if it is this mod or something evers

In a way, those images remind me of a bug that appeared with KSP 0.23, tied to parts with 3 or more resources but no descriptive modules, and fixed by a little mod: ModuleFixer.

But without knowing the real cause, the above is just a guess.

If the above issue is the correct one, the issue was with KSP itself, not KSPI. But if you have no other parts from other mods that show the same, understand why you may believe this to be KSPI related.

In case the above was not the cause, would be useful if you could state what version of KSP you use, what other mods you have installed, possibly a link to a output_log.txt file of after you had that issue, and a sequence of steps you did that brought to that result.

KSP- 0.24 on both 32-64

Mod list-

Active texture mangerment

Astronomer's Visual pack V3

B9

Crewxfer

KSP interstellar

KW Release Package

Mechjeb

NearFutureElectrical

NearFuturePropulsion

NearFutureSolar

NearFutureTechnology

Procedural Dynamice

QuantumstrutsContinued

Romfarer_lazor guidedweapons

Romfarer_lazorsystem

RomfarerRoboticarmspack

SpaceplanePlus

Kethane

InfernalRobotics

putting the mouse over it

on the output_log.txt i do not know what part you need

The seismic accelerometer isn't allowing the recording of impact data, which I'm pretty sure is a feature of Interstellar. And one of my favorite ones, I'm sad it's not working, because I love parking seismic probes on heavenly bodies and then blasting them with glorified missiles :D

Any chance of this being looked at soon, either in the official or unofficial builds?

putting the mouse over it

on the output_log.txt i do not know what part you need

Putting the mouse over the part in the editor, is exactly what made the issue I was talking about appear. Please find that modulefixer mod (last post in the thread I linked) and try it, it could be your solution.

If not, you have to upload the whole output_log.txt on any file sharing site, and provide a link to that. While the bug may come evident just by observing a few lines, I can't anticipate what those lines may be.

Anyway, noted you are running KSP 0.24, while KSPI is not yet rated to work with that version. Other mods you installed seem to be. If that is the case, you may have to wait until KSPI next version is published.

The seismic accelerometer isn't allowing the recording of impact data, which I'm pretty sure is a feature of Interstellar. And one of my favorite ones, I'm sad it's not working, because I love parking seismic probes on heavenly bodies and then blasting them with glorified missiles :D

Any chance of this being looked at soon, either in the official or unofficial builds?

This may be not interstelar, in my 64bit work fine, maybe another mod cause this?

On the matter of the part costs and whatnot.

I think Early parts should be about the same, but later parts should be relatively more expensive than their stock counterparts. KSPI basically operates under the idea of advanced technology, the cutting edge stuff.

With regards to antimatter in specific, I think the collectors should probably be very very expensive to help counter Anti-matter having very high worth, because it definitely should have very high worth. That way it is not so much that it slows you down setting up an antimatter collection network, but more that it is extremely costly for that equipment to be damaged.

On a side note, would it be possible to re-work how the upgrade system is handled? I can accept the "firmware" upgrade of certain things, but changing the type of radiator that is installed on a probe on its way to jool just because you unlocked it in the lab is not....right. Doubly so for reactors.

On a side note, would it be possible to re-work how the upgrade system is handled? I can accept the "firmware" upgrade of certain things, but changing the type of radiator that is installed on a probe on its way to jool just because you unlocked it in the lab is not....right. Doubly so for reactors.

For now just don't push the button unless __inserthouserulehere___ .

I believe this issue is caused by missing part plugins. If a part calls for a module that does not exist (ie a plugin is missing or failed to load) it does the expandingaroo thingy...

I think. Its been awhile.

I would check that you've installed your mods properly, specifically any addons that have parts with non-stock functionality and plugins that make them work.

Also, be sure to check any MM patches that add modules.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Any chance your science.cfg got changed? If not, what errors are you getting?

Does anybody really ever use the 2.5m Inline Refinery?

Interstellar doesn't appear to have any parts capable of just extracting (without refining) terrestrial resources like uranium/thorium/ice, so if you need to extract resources you're forced to use the ISRU or 3.75m Inline Refinery anyway, right? So in what situation would you ever use the 2.5 Inline Refinery?

So not yet ready for .24? Will wait. And where can I get the Experimental build?

I tested the .23.5 version and it still works with .24. But will wait for an update though.

Edited by Furious1964

Any reports of crashing when KSP-I loads?

[LOG 16:28:35.218] 7/19/2014 4:28:35 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Setting up repeating Behaviour(BehaviourUpdate) every 0.05 Secs

[LOG 16:28:35.219] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'InterstellarToolbar' from assembly 'InterstellarToolbar'

[LOG 16:28:35.220] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'PluginHelper' from assembly 'KSPInterstellar'

[EXC 16:28:36.004] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[LOG 16:28:36.034] [KSP Interstellar] Hydrogen resource name set to LiquidFuel

[LOG 16:28:36.035] [KSP Interstellar] Oxygen resource name set to Oxidizer

[LOG 16:28:36.036] [KSP Interstellar] Aluminium resource name set to Aluminium

[LOG 16:28:36.037] [KSP Interstellar] Methane resource name set to LqdMethane

[LOG 16:28:36.038] [KSP Interstellar] Argon resource name set to Argon

[LOG 16:28:36.038] [KSP Interstellar] Water resource name set to LqdWater

[LOG 16:28:36.039] [KSP Interstellar] Hydrogen Peroxide resource name set to H2Peroxide

[LOG 16:28:36.040] [KSP Interstellar] Ammonia resource name set to Ammonia

[LOG 16:28:36.041] [KSP Interstellar] ThermalMechanics set to enabled: True

[LOG 16:28:36.046] Adding ModuleRadiation to mumech.MJ2.AR202

[LOG 16:28:36.046] Adding ModuleRadiation to mumech.MJ2.Pod

[LOG 16:28:36.047] Adding ModuleRadiation to crewCabin

[LOG 16:28:36.048] Adding ModuleRadiation to cupola

[LOG 16:28:36.049] Adding ModuleRadiation to landerCabinSmall

[LOG 16:28:36.050] Adding ModuleRadiation to Mark1Cockpit

Its done this 3 times when I load a save (or a new file upon tree selection)

Edit: NM removed KSP-I and its still crashing. Something else TBD, posting elsewhere on this.

Edited by zapman987