[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

How to address major errors with the experimental version:

Delete all of the contents from the original interstellar out of your gamedata. All of it. There are multiple folders included with interstellar. ALL OF IT.

Install the contents of the experimental version. All of it. In the gamedata folder. Yes, even that bit you don't think you need. My .zip files includes a gamedata folder just to make it absolutely clear where the files and folders go. This means when you add the contents, there should be no merge conflicts. None. Because we removed all of it in the first step.

Do not reinstall the original version. The experimental version is not a "patch" or a "fix" It is a complete version of the mod.

If you still have huge problems, you've probably installed broken version of openresourcesystem from another mod. You can see this if you look into the OSR folders if there is any other .dll file other than the OpenResourceSystem1_1_0.dll that was included in the experimental version, delete it.

I don't know where you guys are still getting these broken files, but a bad install is the source of the big problems that break the mod like tooltips not showing any values or buttons, weird engine thrust vectors, getConnectedResource errors in the log, part icons blowing up/expanding in the VaB. All of this is caused by an improper or faulty installation.

To be clear, there are no known major issues with the experimental version. There is some wonkiness with the air intake on the cooler, part costs are still being adjusted, he-3 still doesn't work in the background and resource costs in the VAB haven't been implemented.

I know you guys are excited to play the mod, and I'd love to personally address each every one of you with an issue, but at this point, I'm repeating myself over and over. And I have to admit, it is getting frustrating separating people with legitimate problems from people who can't take the time to read the last few pages of the thread.

So, um, here's me asking for some help. If you see someone with a big problem, just link this post. Maybe we can eliminate some of the parroting going on and help weed out the real problems with the mod.

Just wanted to say thanks for your efforts, I've been missing intersteller and I'm glad someones picked up the mantle, I just hope all the people not following directions doesn't up and make you uninstall KSP in a fit of rage. Anyways much appreciation.

Are you placing the contents of the gamedata folder in my .zip inside the gamedata folder in your ksp install? You removed all the old folders and files including ors, warpplugin and treeloader before doing so?
yes to all
Is it an existing save? Have you tried deleting the tree.cfg in the save's folder?

I just loaded up a new save, added a bunch of science and the tree looked just fine.

Are there any errors in your output.log?

To bypass this i just made a new save, added a bunch of science and the tree didn't load just fine. Particle Accelerators, Antimatter Power and Advanced Fusion Power are all blank and nothing connects to Nanolathing.

The only errors i could find in my log were in this batch of entries here:

[ERR 20:37:46.782] Cannot find module 'ModuleDeployableSolarPanel' (-298629360)
[LOG 20:37:46.782] [KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: radiator-conformal-1 part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at FNPlugin.PluginHelper.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERR 20:37:46.783] Cannot find module 'ModuleDeployableSolarPanel' (-298629360)
[LOG 20:37:46.784] [KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: radiator-conformal-2 part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 20:37:46.785] Cannot find module 'ModuleDeployableSolarPanel' (-298629360)
[LOG 20:37:46.786] [KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: radiator-conformal-3 part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 20:37:46.787] Cannot find module 'ModuleDeployableSolarPanel' (-298629360)
[LOG 20:37:46.787] [KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: radiator-universal-1 part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 20:37:46.788] Cannot find module 'ModuleDeployableSolarPanel' (-298629360)
[LOG 20:37:46.789] [KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: radiator-universal-2 part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 20:37:46.912] StnSciScenario started
[WRN 20:37:49.681] BorderedTilingSpriteMesh: Mesh has 300 or more vertices and might not be dynamically batched!
[WRN 20:37:49.682] BorderedTilingSpriteMesh: Mesh has 300 or more vertices and might not be dynamically batched!
[WRN 20:37:49.683] BorderedTilingSpriteMesh: Mesh has 300 or more vertices and might not be dynamically batched!
[LOG 20:37:49.752] Adding new node: newnode_7144
[EXC 20:37:49.762] ArgumentException: The thing you want to instantiate is null.
[LOG 20:37:49.766] Adding new node: newnode_71440
[LOG 20:37:49.768] Adding new node: newnode_9820
[LOG 20:37:49.771] Adding new node: newnode_5951
[LOG 20:37:49.773] Adding new node: newnode_8234
[LOG 20:37:49.802] Adding new node: newnode_node7_composites
[LOG 20:37:49.835] Auto-removing node: node6_composites

and the same sections from output.log

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: radiator-conformal-1 part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Cannot find module 'ModuleDeployableSolarPanel' (-298629360)

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: radiator-conformal-2 part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: radiator-conformal-3 part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: radiator-universal-1 part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: radiator-universal-2 part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Adding ModuleRadiation to mk3-9pod

Adding ModuleRadiation to utilityCabin

Adding ModuleRadiation to crewCabin

Adding ModuleRadiation to cupola

Adding ModuleRadiation to landerCabinSmall

Adding ModuleRadiation to Mark1Cockpit

Adding ModuleRadiation to Mark2Cockpit

Adding ModuleRadiation to mark3Cockpit

Adding ModuleRadiation to Mark1-2Pod

Adding ModuleRadiation to mk1pod

Adding ModuleRadiation to mk2LanderCabin

Adding ModuleRadiation to probeCoreCube

Adding ModuleRadiation to probeCoreHex

Adding ModuleRadiation to probeCoreOcto

Adding ModuleRadiation to probeCoreOcto2

Adding ModuleRadiation to probeCoreSphere

Adding ModuleRadiation to probeStackLarge

Adding ModuleRadiation to probeStackSmall

Adding ModuleRadiation to Large.Crewed.Lab

Adding ModuleRadiation to StnSciLab

Adding ModuleRadiation to StnSciZoo

Adding ModuleRadiation to computerCore

Adding ModuleRadiation to scienceModule

8/4/2014 8:37:46 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Adding DrawGUI to PostRender Queue

[VesselSpawner]: No new objects this time. (Odds are 1:2)

StnSciScenario started

BorderedTilingSpriteMesh: Mesh has 300 or more vertices and might not be dynamically batched!

BorderedTilingSpriteMesh: Mesh has 300 or more vertices and might not be dynamically batched!

Adding new node: newnode_7144

ArgumentException: The thing you want to instantiate is null.
at UnityEngine.Object.CheckNullArgument (System.Object arg, System.String message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate (UnityEngine.Object original) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RDNode.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:.ctor(String, Type[])
TreeEdit.TreeLoader:AddNode()
TreeEdit.TreeLoader:LoadNodes(String)
TreeEdit.TreeLoader:Update()

(Filename: Line: -1)

Adding new node: newnode_71440

Adding new node: newnode_9820

Adding new node: newnode_5951

Adding new node: newnode_8234

Adding new node: newnode_node7_composites

Auto-removing node: node6_composites

i can upload the full logs if you want.

Edited by naturalbornidiot
adding more info

To bypass this i just made a new save, added a bunch of science and the tree didn't load just fine. Particle Accelerators, Antimatter Power and Advanced Fusion Power are all blank and nothing connects to Nanolathing.

-snips

It may be one of your other mods. I started a new playthrough with the new career mode because I wanted to explore the new tech tree before going over to the Interstellar tree. When I had pretty much cleared the stock tree I loaded the Interstellar tree and everything worked perfectly fine.

It may be one of your other mods. I started a new playthrough with the new career mode because I wanted to explore the new tech tree before going over to the Interstellar tree. When I had pretty much cleared the stock tree I loaded the Interstellar tree and everything worked perfectly fine.

That was something I was already working on.

I made a completely stock install of KSP, and besides the stock folders the only other things in gamedata were the contents of the interstellar zip file (toolbar, ors, warp plugin, treeloader and mm). I also double checked that this was WaveFunctionP's version by downloading the archive again from the link in his signature.

I started a new game, did the interstellar tree update and then quit as per the onscreen instructions.

I then added a bunch of science to my game and then restarted KSP where I filled out the tech tree and encountered the same issue.

This is a completely stock KSP with only interstellar installed. Also note that this is a new save and I followed WaveFunctionP's installation instructions in his error troubleshooting post TO THE LETTER

Here's my output.log file.

http://pastebin.com/ne82zEua

added output.log contents

I was playing a heavily modded 64 bit KSP in science career mode when I found something really funny

I made an ion powered ship (basically 26 x 300 charge batteries, a lander can, 4 retractable solar panels, 10 xenon containers, 1 ion engine and one inline radiator)

Then, I looked at the cost and it was at 847000 kerbux! (lel). Turns out in this not-made-for-0.24.2 KSPI, the small radiators cost 800000 :rolleyes:

Now this doesn't affect me as I'm playing in science career but still it was pretty funny :sticktongue:

Hey folks.

Has anyone an idea how to make Interstellar resources (or others like Kethane) salvageable? Lets say im mining Uranium / extract Deuterium and want it to sell for a certain price when i recover the vessel. Its all good to push up the prices for reactors and stuff, but the built in economy in .24 is nowhere close to be able to support a mod like Interstellar. IF you want a working mircowave network which packs a bit of a punch, you simply need more credits than the regular economy will yield. Im absolutely willing to work for the money by building up a supporting mining economy. Which leads back to my initial question... Ideas anyone? :wink:

Best regards

Edited by Haifi

Has tree loader been updated at all in the last while? The last time I used it shortly before 0.24 it kept stalling out my graphics drivers. Wierd, I know, but the problem stopped when I got rid of it. I haven't installed the one included in the experimental version of kspi for that reason, and just stuck to sandbox.

I don't think I get the tree update message either....... LOL

WaveFunctionP: With some help and a fresh set of eyes, the problem has been solved and I now know what's going on with the tech tree in my game. There seems to be one major thing that's been missed or skipped in your testing. Science Sandbox.

The tech tree works perfectly fine in Career Mode but not Science Sandbox mode.

Someone else tried it out under the same circumstances as me (stock 0.24.2 32bit on windows and only using your version of interstellar and no other mods) and exactly reproduced the issues I was having. He then noticed that we had been running the game in Science Sandbox mode. He switched to career mode and the tech tree worked the way it was supposed to. I then proceeded to confirm his findings.

added more details.

I am playing the science only mode and have discovered the same problems. This seems to be a significant and previously undiscovered bug, otherwise I would refrain from parroting previous posts.

Another issue you may have missed is that all parts are upgraded without unlocking the necessary nodes. For example, my tier one fission reactor shows as dusty plasma both in-game and in the VAB.

Edited by shifty803
details

WaveFunctionP: With some help and a fresh set of eyes, the problem has been solved and I now know what's going on with the tech tree in my game. There seems to be one major thing that's been missed or skipped in your testing. Science Sandbox.

The tech tree works perfectly fine in Career Mode but not Science Sandbox mode.

Someone else tried it out under the same circumstances as me (stock 0.24.2 32bit on windows and only using your version of interstellar and no other mods) and exactly reproduced the issues I was having. He then noticed that we had been running the game in Science Sandbox mode. He switched to career mode and the tech tree worked the way it was supposed to. I then proceeded to confirm his findings.

I see. That makes sense. Thank you for your diligence, the most crucial step of fixing a bug is first replicating it.

I don't have an eta on a fix as I have some other changes I'd like to push with the next update that are still being developed. But it should be ready soon, assuming the fix for the tree is straightforward.

For the moment, I would avoid science only mode. I know this is an unsatisfying answer, but please be patient.

Hello WaveFunction, I would like to try to add a glowing effect to the radiator based on their temperatures to actually display the perceptible light come out of them. Which should just be a simple shader with a brighter texture to blend in or even just a pixel increase on the red components .. but it looks like there aren't the sources of the animations in the files...

Is there a way in unity to add such a shared without the .mu sources?

I got your PM. I apologize that I forgot to respond.

I know next to nothing about animations, and I do not have access to the raw models or the required skills to modify them.

When I launch a ship with a science lab, everything attached ON science lab drops THROUGH my ship to ground, when stuff what fell trough the ship hits the ground science lab blows up and rest of the ship is not effected by the gravity.

This only happens when science lab is there.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296383305

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296381842

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296391661

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296392032

EDIT: I have same problem with fission reactors and thermal rockets

Edited by Shurikeeen

When I launch a ship with a science lab, everything attached ON science lab drops THROUGH my ship to ground, when stuff what fell trough the ship hits the ground science lab blows up and rest of the ship is not effected by the gravity.

This only happens when science lab is there.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296381842

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296391661

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296392032

I had the same issue.. it was caused by some mod.. I think it was Modular Fuel Tank, can't remember

No, you need to read a few pages back. It's KSP's latest 2.4 version broke KSP-I, Wavefunction fixed it, and if you remove KSPI from your install, download the version in Wavefunction's forum sig, then it will all work fine again.

My game keeps CDT-ing and in the output.log the only null reference comes from KSPI if I understand right i see this

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'PluginHelper' from assembly 'KSPInterstellar'

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at UIManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIManager.DidAnyPointerHitUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpaceCenterCamera2.InputCamera () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpaceCenterCamera2.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Can some one look at my output.log file and tell me whats causing the crashes or if it is not interstellar causing it.

Running 64bit with wave's ex. version

output.log

So we are going to do some cost rebalancing right because the 3.75m fusion reactor is retardedly expensive The 62.5cm fission/fusion reactors could probably do with an increase in price though.

As well as basically everything but the reactors being stupidly cheap apart from the fuels as argon is pretty darn expensive especially considering the fact that monoprop gets a similar ISP, Suppose I could just change to monoprop because its sooo cheap in comparison to argon.

Although tbh though if the idea is to leave argon expensive it should have an extra ability maybe up its thrust and keep the ISP the same.

Edited by etheoma

So we are going to do some cost rebalancing right because the 3.75m fusion reactor is retardedly expensive The 62.5cm fission/fusion reactors could probably do with an increase in price though.

As well as basically everything but the reactors being stupidly cheap apart from the fuels as argon is pretty darn expensive especially considering the fact that monoprop gets a similar ISP, Suppose I could just change to monoprop because its sooo cheap in comparison to argon.

Although tbh though if the idea is to leave argon expensive it should have an extra ability maybe up its thrust and keep the ISP the same.

Yes wave is doing cost rebalancing but I wouldnt expect KSPI to get significantly cheeper unless wave changes his mind. Personaly I think his take on balancing is a tad on the extream side and I manualy edit the parts down to somewhat more sane costs. With the prices as they are in his version I'd never fork over the cash for launching KSPI equiped craft, I'd just go install extraplanetary launchpads and build reactors in space after mineing resorces. I understand the delima particularly considering the power of the upgraded componants and lack of a good way to set a good price for upgraded vs unupgraded componants with the way the mechanics work. I apreciate the work he does, I just dissagree on the price but thats something easy enough to fix on my own.

can some one explain how to use the beamed power engines for launches/space planes? i think i get it more or less, and can use the thermal turbotjets no problem, but the thermal rockets do very little for me, even when bolted to a massive reactor, and the other engines (plasma and attila) work as intended but dont help me get my space planes or rockets out of the atmosphere. am i missing some key ingredient for my thermal rockets? im full on thermal power and megajoules according to my resource counter.

Hello all,

Playing through the game as one does and I noticed a price discrepancy. The 2.5m aegletes reactor is more expensive than the 3.75m one. I think a random extra zero is to blame(or missing if you want to go the other way). Current costs as I know them:

1.25m fission kiwi - 100k

2.5m fission aegletes - 2.5 mil

3.75m fission aegletes 2 - 500k

2.5m fusion - 2.5 mil

3.75m fusion - 10 mil

So, either way the 3.75m fission, or 2.5m fission need price adjustments.

Still all praise to wave for going all out.

Edit: I know I can adjust prices in the config files, but I don't want anyone else to be confused, plus which way should I go? More inline or more expensive?

Edited by krillin678

Galactictaco:

Most of the thermal rockets do not have very good thrust to weight ratio when burning typical fuels. That being said, the denser fuel provided by the mod(Methane Oxidizer) works very well for increasing the thrust to weight ratio. The unfortunate part is the size of said fuel tanks... they are big.

Other tips:

adjust your engine before launch to burn the correct fuel: tweakable (if you are burning liquid or less you won't get much power)

your angle for your thermal receiver is pointing correctly(should be long edge toward beamed power)

if you are using fission(kiwi, aegletes...) your rocket may need some srb's for help as even burning methane and oxidizer still won't get you off the ground.

Edited by krillin678

I added a microwaveReceiver to power an on board 3.75m Inline Refinery and found that the receiver was limited to 10 Megajoules (the total Megajoule storage on the craft), despite having 430 Megajoules available in my network and demand for 50 Megajoules. If I added a generator, (without reactor) to up the storage capacity or any other parts with Megajoule storage, the receiver limit was increased. Is this a bug or are receivers intended to be limited by storage regardless of demand? This is not a problem with receiver orientation.