[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

The final significant issue to resolve was the EletricEngine update to ModuleEnginesFX which I've had waiting ready to take over from the old system for quite some time.

Switching over to ModuleEnginesFX means that I can actually change the visual effects when you change propellant. All of the images shown are (obviously) the same ship but as you switch the ElectricEngine into different fuel modes you will see different engine animations.

The higher thrust engines tend to produce a clearer exhaust while the higher isp engines are supposed to be larger but more diffuse.

There are more animations than shown below but you can discover the visual effects of the rest yourselves.

Argon

Pgcp1CQ.png

Hydrogen

xVUdKeS.png

QVP (this probably shouldn't have an exhaust effect, but I decided without one it wouldn't be clear if the engine was actually working)

babDmWT.png

Lithium

W9VARIP.png

The final significant issue to resolve was the EletricEngine update to ModuleEnginesFX which I've had waiting ready to take over from the old system for quite some time.

Switching over to ModuleEnginesFX means that I can actually change the visual effects when you change propellant. All of the images shown are (obviously) the same ship but as you switch the ElectricEngine into different fuel modes you will see different engine animations.

The higher thrust engines tend to produce a clearer exhaust while the higher isp engines are supposed to be larger but more diffuse.

There are more animations than shown below but you can discover the visual effects of the rest yourselves.

Argon

http://i.imgur.com/Pgcp1CQ.png

Hydrogen

http://i.imgur.com/xVUdKeS.png

QVP (this probably shouldn't have an exhaust effect, but I decided without one it wouldn't be clear if the engine was actually working)

http://i.imgur.com/babDmWT.png

Lithium

http://i.imgur.com/W9VARIP.png

OOh so excited! Your works is pretty awesome Fractal.

Argon

Hydrogen

Lithium

Fractal_UK, AWESOME!

Silly question, but what will this do to memory usage vs. previous versions of KSP-Interstellar?

Also, did you see my suggestions before?

I have an additional suggestion regarding cost balancing: make the upgrades of the KSP-Interstellar reactors affect pricing. I.e. a gas core reactor should be more expensive than a solid core reactor. This reflects the real-life difficulty of engineering these reactors, and makes Career Mode games with Interstellar isntalled a little less of a mad dash to the most advanced reactors- while also realistically reflecting some of the engineering difficulties of more advanced reactor designs. Of course, the cost increase shouldn't be TOO great- I'd imagine that part of the science to practically implement these designs would be figuring out cheaper ways of solving some of the technical barriers. That being said, all space-grade nuclear reactors should be highly expensive.

Which gives me one more idea- maybe you'd also consider introducing an (extremely heavy, but cheaper) more "conventional" fission reactor, not intended for use in space? (and thus built with much less concern for mass) I would think such a part could be much cheaper than the other nuclear reactors, and thus make Microwave Beamed Power liftoffs from the KSC *MUCH* more affordable- especially if the space-grade reactors were extremely expensive...

Such a reactor could even have built-in radiators optimized for atmospheric use, to avoid the need for design of a separate line of high-mass, low-cost radiator; and a built-in generator as well, to avoid the need to design an ultra-heavy but low cost generator, and prevent people from using the reactor for rocket propulsion as it wouldn't be designed for it... Both would also reduce part-count. Finally, the ground-based reactor should be in the 5 meter size range or larger: both to push cost-efficiency (bigger = more cost-effective power production), and the reflect that nuclear reactors become exponentially harder and more expensive to build (for their power production) the smaller you have to build them...

It would certainly beat building a "train" of 3.75 meter fission reactors for Microwave Beamed Power launches from the KSC, at least from a cost and realism perspective (and a 5 meter reactor would still be small enough to reasonably move one or two at a time outside of physics-range from the KSC rover-style)

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Argon

Hydrogen

Lithium

Wow. Can you add custom sounds to your mod? You know B9 has a sounds for landing gears, KW Rocketry has a sound overhaul on each engine, KSPi already has a sound for Warp drive... so why no to expand?

Welcome back Fractal_UK. KSP wouldn't be the same without you. Those plumes look amazing. I really look forward to your future outlook on KSPi.

I had one thing to address. Regarding the Warp drives, game volume doen't seem to apply to their sound effect. I usually play with the game volume low and my music loud. When I activate the warp drive, my subwoofers start to shake the my place apart. I know you have a million things to do, so I put an issue request in so you could get to it if/when you felt like it.

Is there a way to make the interstellar lab or the stock lab to perform the functions of the other one? For example I don't always want to take the 2 labs with me just to reset experiments.

I tried to copy the modules from the stock lab to the science lab but that doesn't work. When I rightclicked on it, it just disabled rightclicking on everything.

Argon

Hydrogen

Lithium

just....woooow

i was waiting for it and even dont now about it now one shoot of eye and u now on what u flying

Version 0.12 Released

This version might not be perfect and it doesn't cover everything I want to do in the future with the changes that have been made in 0.24.2 but, at least with this release, Interstellar is finally back.

changelog

Version 0.12.0
-0.24.2 Compatibility
-New Eletric Engine Effects
-New Electric Engine System
-New Reactor Code + Reactor Control System interface
-Vastly improved VAB info for Reactor and Electric Engines
-Implemented Oktav radiator glow + background He-3 decay
-Changed fusion fuels to correct densities
-Fixed Telescope experiment and integrated it with stock science system
-Fixed Alcubierre drive volume
-Added first attempt at part costs
-Added first attempt at resource costs

Download links on the first page have been updated

Just a quick service anouncement, Treeloader seems to currently be dead in the water, the online backend that it uses is DOA. If anyone wants a temporary fix look a few posts down from in my link.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53192-0-23-5-TreeLoader-Custom-Career-Tech-tree-Loader-1-1-5?p=1426160&viewfull=1#post1426160

Version 0.12 Released

This version might not be perfect and it doesn't cover everything I want to do in the future with the changes that have been made in 0.24.2 but, at least with this release, Interstellar is finally back.

changelog

Version 0.12.0
-0.24.2 Compatibility

♥ This is definitely one of the better mods for KSP. Thanks for all the work.

I remember trying this a ways back, but I had no idea how to load mods properly then and it kinda broke.

Then I remembered it when I realized that Karbonite and KSPI use the same resource engine and the CRP is designed specifically to not cause conflicts, meaning I have no worries about breakage.

Unfortunately, interfaces were broken, resource state is uncertain, so CRP and Karbonite (and really, all of the USI mods) are moving to a fork of ORS specifically to ensure we do not have conflicts again. Was not my desire, but the support headaches are killing me. We were briefly in sync after the community fixed ORS for 0.24.2, but this compatibility was broken with ORS 0.1.3. I am hoping 0.1.4 is less breaky, but given it's already in the wild, I will be focusing on getting the USI mods as well as the other mods I curate on a derivative work that we can focus on extending without conflicting with KSPI. So we'll all be on the same playground, just not playing with the same ball :)

Unfortunately, interfaces were broken, resource state is uncertain, so CRP and Karbonite (and really, all of the USI mods) are moving to a fork of ORS specifically to ensure we do not have conflicts again. Was not my desire, but the support headaches are killing me. We were briefly in sync after the community fixed ORS for 0.24.2, but this compatibility was broken with ORS 0.1.3. I am hoping 0.1.4 is less breaky, but given it's already in the wild, I will be focusing on getting the USI mods as well as the other mods I curate on a derivative work that we can focus on extending without conflicting with KSPI. So we'll all be on the same playground, just not playing with the same ball :)

You should not be having an support problems. The version system in ORS should prevent it. Looking at your code, I'd guess you can make it more robust to version changes in ORS by using aliasing to reference the correct open resource system version numbered dll, otherwise you may have a namespace conflict.

I wrote something about this in the first page of the ORS thread.

Version 0.12 Released

changelog

Version 0.12.0
-0.24.2 Compatibility

Just saw this, Downloading immediately.

So just installed the new update, and started a new save because I'm converting back from Lite, but Treeloader can't seem to find the interstellar tree. Any way I can add it to my save manually?

There is a copy of the tree.cfg in the WarpPlugin directory, just copy that into your save folder.

You should not be having an support problems. The version system in ORS should prevent it. Looking at your code, I'd guess you can make it more robust to version changes in ORS by using aliasing to reference the correct open resource system version numbered dll, otherwise you may have a namespace conflict.

I wrote something about this in the first page of the ORS thread.

Our primary issue was the duplicate ORS key problem - which is what folks went back to the second 0.1.3 was released. I realize this was fixed in 0.1.4 (still need to confirm that), but I now have a long tail of support issues which basically involve telling people to delete 0.1.3 and hold off on KSPI because it's killing other mods. As noted in the other thread, this will not be an issue going forward.

I totally respect that this is your original work and all - but it may have been nice to get more of a lay of the land before pushing a release to fix something that the community already fixed, only to have it break everything. It's great you are now rolling these changes back in, but the damage was done, and for the sake of my user base, I need better stability and long term change management (and that includes all of the ones who use KSPI - hence why my first focus (after my own stuff works) is to make sure I don't break KSPI. Same way I make sure not to break TAC-LS, or US, or NFT, or any number of other mods that are likely to be on the playground.

The new stuff in KSPI looks great and I am looking forward to adding it back to my save :) Just gotta make sure I can also use all of my own mods as well and not have surprises on update day ;)

Our primary issue was the duplicate ORS key problem - which is what folks went back to the second 0.1.3 was released. I realize this was fixed in 0.1.4 (still need to confirm that), but I now have a long tail of support issues which basically involve telling people to delete 0.1.3 and hold off on KSPI because it's killing other mods. As noted in the other thread, this will not be an issue going forward.

I don't see how this is a problem because no mod actually references 1.3.0 directly. Interstellar does not use it and you don't use it.

If 1.3.0 is causing you support problems, it is because you have a namespace conflict and you can fix it by using aliasing.

Edited by Fractal_UK

I don't see how this is a problem because, no mod actually references 0.1.3 directly. Interstellar does not use it and you don't use it.

If 0.1.3 is causing you support problems, it is because you have a namespace conflict and you can fix it by using aliasing.

Actually it was caused by the duplicate ORS keys (something we had finally crushed) the fix that ORS 0.1.3 did not have in it when you re-released it.

Actually it was caused by the duplicate ORS keys (something we had finally crushed) the fix that ORS 0.1.3 did not have in it when you re-released it.

Under the old system, distributing mod-specific atmospheric/oceanic resource definitions was dangerous, hence the original recommendation in the older versions to modify the resource definitions with module manager rather than distributing them per mod.

The fix for duplicate ORS keys and new organisation into resource packs should be far more robust in 1.4.X.

Im getting turbojet overhead and explosion both with the precooler attached directly under a ram intake, and also with the precooler as only intake, both in the same stack as the engine. Is there any combination to make the turbojet work?

Im getting turbojet overhead and explosion both with the precooler attached directly under a ram intake, and also with the precooler as only intake, both in the same stack as the engine. Is there any combination to make the turbojet work?

It seems that the problem is because the precooler intake module hasn't been removed properly. I'm not sure why that is. If you close the precooler's intake and use only intakes attached to the precooler, it should still work.

Version 0.12 Released

changelog

Version 0.12.0
-0.24.2 Compatibility

I'm so glad you're back! I'm downloading immediately. I will miss the tweakscale integration from Lite, though.