[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Hi

I'm not sure if i'm just doing this completely wrong, or is this is somehow related to 0.25 but i'm having a few problems with KSPI.

I've removed all other mods, so i'm starting with a completely unmodded game. I've installed KSPI as per the instructions, but it won't work quite right.

When i start a new career mode, i get several different errors related to the tech tree.

First of all there's a popup saying there's an update available for the interstellar tech tree, if i choose to press update, it says i need to restart the game, but after doing so, the popup just comes right back up..

If i just dismiss the popup and select the interstellar tech tree anyway, which seems to happen successfully, it just loads the stock tech tree anyways (I edited in 15000 science to test, and it's just the regular old tech tree all the way).

Also every time i unlock a new node, it detracts the science points, but doesn't actually show the next node that should be available for unlocking, for that i need to exit the R&D facility, and re-enter and then i can see the next node etc.

I'm using no other mods than KSPI, on a fresh install of KSP.. Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but 1200 pages is a bit much sift through..

Edited by LasseG

Whoa, lots of happening since last I checked. First of all, massive props to Fractal and Wavefunction for being so mature about everything! I've seen so many cases of similar situations devolving into childish bickering that it's really another testament to the maturity of KSP's fanbase.

Just wondering though, couldn't you just add the collapsible Alcubierre drive to the main game? Alternatively, could someone explain what I exactly need to do with my cfg files to make it work? I'm too stupid to edit the cfg files manually like the wiki suggests. Also, any chance the main mod will go for tweakscale support as well? Going back to having three separate big radiators etc made me realize how bad the part clutter really was.

Also, d'uh! Of course the magnetic drive doesn't need to connect to the rest of the ship. It's magnetic! :D

Just wondering though, couldn't you just add the collapsible Alcubierre drive to the main game? Alternatively, could someone explain what I exactly need to do with my cfg files to make it work? I'm too stupid to edit the cfg files manually like the wiki suggests.

For KSP 0.23 through 0.24.2, there were two required changes to each config file: change the name to something that isn't the same as the name of the fixed Alcubierre, and change TechRequired from ExperimentalElectrics to one of the Interstellar nodes if using the Interstellar tech tree (refer to tree.cfg for the names of the new nodes). Adding balanced costs would be nice, but not required to make the game work.

For 0.25, they're probably also affected by the changes to model scaling. Once I figure that out, I'll probably just publish a repack that works out of the box.

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?

I'm having the same problem, stock tech tree is locked into the game no matter what I do. Common fix of copying tree.cfg is not working. Anyone have any thoughts on how to solve this problem?

Hi

I'm not sure if i'm just doing this completely wrong, or is this is somehow related to 0.25 but i'm having a few problems with KSPI.

I've removed all other mods, so i'm starting with a completely unmodded game. I've installed KSPI as per the instructions, but it won't work quite right.

When i start a new career mode, i get several different errors related to the tech tree.

First of all there's a popup saying there's an update available for the interstellar tech tree, if i choose to press update, it says i need to restart the game, but after doing so, the popup just comes right back up..

If i just dismiss the popup and select the interstellar tech tree anyway, which seems to happen successfully, it just loads the stock tech tree anyways (I edited in 15000 science to test, and it's just the regular old tech tree all the way).

Also every time i unlock a new node, it detracts the science points, but doesn't actually show the next node that should be available for unlocking, for that i need to exit the R&D facility, and re-enter and then i can see the next node etc.

I'm using no other mods than KSPI, on a fresh install of KSP.. Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but 1200 pages is a bit much sift through..

TreeLoader has been partially broken since 0.24. On 0.24, you could work around it by manually installing the tree.cfg ( http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php?p=1445494#post1445494 ). If you've completed those steps on an install of 0.25 that has only the mods bundled with Interstellar, then 0.25 may have moved TreeLoader from "partly unusable" to "completely unusable".

Hi

Treeloader is not working properly at this time. You need to go into your WarpPlugin folder and move tree.cfg over to your save folder. If there is a notree.cfg file in your save folder, delete it.

The scaling must be because I fixed all the node sizes right at the end, the larger node must be slightly out of position.

Don't expect to test those nozzles effectively on the launch pad though, they pretty much require vacuum to function.

But other than the whole testing on launchpad bit, everything is set up properly? I'll see about making one that goes into space and test it from there.

Edit: Ok, I flung it out into space and it works. Produces really cute levels of thrust which would explain why it was having trouble on kerbin's surface

Edited by BFGfreak

I'm having the same problem, stock tech tree is locked into the game no matter what I do. Common fix of copying tree.cfg is not working. Anyone have any thoughts on how to solve this problem?

Do you also have the thing where it asks you to update the interstellar tech tree when you start a new career? And the thing about the next node not being shown until you re-enter the R&D facility?

Treeloader is not working properly at this time. You need to go into your WarpPlugin folder and move tree.cfg over to your save folder. If there is a notree.cfg file in your save folder, delete it.

Done that, it's still not using the interstellar tech tree. there was no "notree.cfg" but i overwrote the tree.cfg that was in my savefolder, but it still uses the stock one.

Even if i start a new game, and place the interstellar tree.cfg in the savegame before having done any research (and selected the interstellar tree in treeloader) it still uses the stock tree..

I'm guessing they've fiddled with how the tech tree works in 0.25 then?

Do you also have the thing where it asks you to update the interstellar tech tree when you start a new career? And the thing about the next node not being shown until you re-enter the R&D facility?

Done that, it's still not using the interstellar tech tree. there was no "notree.cfg" but i overwrote the tree.cfg that was in my savefolder, but it still uses the stock one.

Even if i start a new game, and place the interstellar tree.cfg in the savegame before having done any research (and selected the interstellar tree in treeloader) it still uses the stock tree..

I'm guessing they've fiddled with how the tech tree works in 0.25 then?

I'm having the same issue

It looks like the TreeLoader plugin is no longer loading, which is going to be hard to resolve since the license is very restrictive meaning I either have to hope r4m0n fixes it or find a workaround. I will find a solution to restore proper tree functioning but I'm not going to have a lot of time to study possible workarounds until the weekend so the fix unfortunately won't be instantaneous.

Just to add more data to the situation, since I'm also (unsurprisingly) caught: it looks like the parts that are attached to nodes that already exist load fine; I can get the magnetometer, for example, but not the warp drive.

So I'm a noob, am I understanding correctly that placing tree.cfg into the folder does not work, and that replacing notree.cfg with tree.cfg(renaming) also does not work?

IF you copy tree.cfg into the SAVE directly, it should work. Right? Right???? :huh:

Regards,

Northstar

DISCLAIMER: Here follows a LONG tangent on the expansion of ISRU, specifically to allow production of the more advanced RealFuels propellents:

If you're interested, I'm looking to see if I can't round some people up to attempt something TRULY ambitious- the addition of a realistic set of new ISRU reactions to KSP-Interstellar that are only activated when RealFuels mod is present... These would allow players to actually make some of the more useful fuels in RealFuels mod- Kerosene for Kero/LOX engines and Hypergolics for UDMH/MMH/Aerozine engines (which all burn in combination with N2O4) via In Situ Resource Utilization...

This is a (somewhat edited) re-paste of a message I wrote to a guy PM'ing me about a KSP-Interstellar/RealFuels integration config (and specifically, about expanding the ISRU system). So bear with me if it seems like I'm going a little off-topic or addressing questions that were never asked:

If you want to ADD more ISRU reactions to a KSP-Interstellar/RealFuels config, now might be a good time to approach FractalUK about adding them to KSP-Interstellar's existing (but IMHO still rather skeletal) In Situ Resource Utilization system. He's currently in the process of re-writing (the new GUI, for instance) and possibly expanding the ISRU system in a coming update (probably one of the first 0.25 ones, since 0.25 will require a major re-write anyways) so now is the PERFECT time to start preparing the way to work with him to add more reactions to ISRU when the time comes...

I started a thread explicitly on ISRU quite a while ago- feel free to use it as a public focus for more discussion on the topic... (that way, we might draw more people/information into the discussion)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68797-In-Situ-Resource-Utilization-Useful-Reactions

Regarding the Fischer-Tropsch Reaction, AFAIK it's really only *marginally* heavier than a Sabatier Reacton, and should be perfectly viable in space. They used to use Sabatier Reaction and Fischer-Tropsch all the time back in the 1800's in relatively small/simple and lightweight chemical refineries in order to produce Kerosene/Methane for street lamps and early cars and such back before the Oil Industry really began to hit it big...

The Germans also relied on Fischer-Tropsch (as well as Coal-Liquification) back in World War II in order to produce fuel for their tanks/airplanes when the Allies cut off their access to oil from the Middle East/ Baltics, if my memory of history serves me correctly...

Anyways, both Fischer-Tropsch and the Anthraquinone Process (Hydrogen Peroxide from H2 and O2) coupled with Hydrazine production (Hydrazine, not coincidentally, is also the main substrate for the production of some of the most common Hypergolic fuels, such as UDMH, MMH, and Aerozine; which only need to be combined with N2O4 to burn) can be used to make more advanced and easily stored fuels for RealFuels mod to use...

Both Oxygen (in the form of CO2) and Nitrogen (in the form of atmospheric HNO3, and likely, vast subsurface deposits) are readily available on Mars. So, in that environment, it's possible to produce anything that's made of Carbon, Nitrogen, and Oxygen (and a little Hydrogen- which is confirmed to be present on Mars, and theorized to be indicative of subsurface ice deposits). Duna is, of course, KSP's Mars analog, so the same should hold there...

http://beamartian.jpl.nasa.gov/towhnall/question/15076/is-there-nitrogen-on-mars

http://yly-mac.gps.caltech.edu/Reprintsyly/A_RecentPapers/Boxe%20et%20al%202012.pdf

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=191609

Keep in mind that "readily available" is a RELATIVE term- the atmosphere on Mars is rather thin, and obtaining high concentrations of any of these elements without long periods of atmospheric filtration and cryogenic storage (much more easily done than you might think) would require digging down into the Martian soil/subsurface... Duna's atmosphere is quite a bit thicker, however, so atmospheric filtration should be more practical there.

The Moon (Luna) also has large deposits of Nitrogen (regolith air bubbles), Aluminum, Oxygen (Aluminum Oxides), Argon (regolith air bubbles), and even a little Carbon (graphite), Hydrogen (water ice in polar craters), and Xenon (regolith air bubbles) in its regolith/craters... So the "Mun" analog in KSP could be assumed to have minable deposits of those as well...

This may all seem like a tangent, but it's NOT. What I'm pointing out is that there are MAJOR opportunities for expansion of the KSP-Interstellar ISRU system, which is currently only limited to the best-known of the possible ISRU processes (such as water-harvesting from ice on the Mun's poles and in the soil of Mars...) ESPECIALLY when RealFuels is also installed.

Water is important for life-support and all, but the best FUELS that can be produced from ISRU are actually those that are Hypergolic- since they don't require cryogenic temperatures and can be stored for long periods of time without boil-off (unlike LiquidHydrogen or LiquidOxygen). They also have the highest fuel-density of common chemical propellant mixes, meaning you need the lowest tank mass/volume for a given amount of Delta-V (the ISP is lower, however, which makes them suboptimal for the upper stages of high Delta-V voyages... That being said, Hypergolics were actually what they used on the Apollo Service and Lander Modules- due to their high density and easy storage...) Their main/only disadvantage is that many of them are highly toxic in sufficient concentrations, and could potentially poison astronauts in the case of a leak... (as actually *DID* happen with the N2O4 during one Apollo mission- resulting in several hospitalizations)

Adding reactions to produce Kerosene (Reverse Water Gas Shift Reaction followed by the Fischer-Tropsch Reaction) or Hypergolics (Anthraquinone Process --> Hydrazine Production --> Hydrazine methylation with locally-made formaldehyde to produce UDMH/MMH/Aerozine) would be a particularly valuable addition to a RealFuels/KSP-Interstellar integration config: right now the only way to produce Hypergolics through ISRU is through Karbonite's RealFuels Integration Config...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsymmetrical_dimethylhydrazine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerozine_50

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomethylhydrazine

Finally, note that MMH is just single-methylated Hydrazine, UDMH is di-methylated (double-methylated) Hydrazine, and Aerozine is a mixture (usually 50/50 or 70/30) of Hydrazine and UDMH...

Regards,

Northstar

Karbonite mod introduced a "Particle Collector" part the allows players to collect atmospheric resources (just Karbonite with the mod, but should work equally well with He-3) from *just above* the atmosphere of a planet (by a couple hundred meters) as well as within it. This allows players to use MUCH higher time-warps if they are willing to go through the hassle of setting up a stable orbit that close to the atmosphere- with the possible risk of loading bugs causing the orbit to eventually decay into the atmosphere if they're not careful.

This would seem a realistic way to simulate atmospheric accumulators (proposals for which on Earth generally worked ABOVE the Karman Line) in KSP-Interstellar. Perhaps the Atmospheric Scoop parts could be endowed with the same functionality, so that players didn't have to sit for hours of 4x time-warp to accumulate the resources they desire? If the scooping function could even be made to work when the vessel were unloaded, then this would truly allow for low-hassle (and more realistic) He-3 collection...

That's a great idea!

Well, between what I've read in the alternate tree config (ATC) thread, and how treeloader hasn't had an official update since, 0.23? I don't have much hope of there being a way of adding new tree nodes without trouble unless squad adds it themselves. I think ATC allows you to move nodes around, and there are 8? hidden. It might not be something where multiple mods' trees can really be intermingled, but it might be a solution to this?

Hey guys, thought I'd mention what may be a bug I've found - possibly in Interstellar or stock KSP (12.2!), not sure. If I warp at 50x time accel, a 3.75m Fusion reactor loses Tritium no matter what rate it's breeding at. Warp at 100x or more and it behaves correctly.

Is that inherent to the way KSP calculates resource usage during warp, or something with Interstellar? I can post screens of this if its totally unknown.

Oddly during lower time warps, deuterium is being used (decaying?), 0.04 usage at 50x warp. 100x warp and more, it sits at flat 0, no usage/loss at all.

So, after googling for an error report, I was sent to this thread (around page 400)...

I don't know if it even IS this mod, but I dont know how to read more out of the error report

It says something about "mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module mono.dll"

So, I would love to know if it is something with this mod (if it is incompatible with something or stuff) or if I should simply test with every mod I have (which would take hours, hence this question)

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forget it, apparently it is not KSP I

Edited by CrazyOdd