[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I'm running ksp 0.24.2, and I just saw a couple of days ago that Fractal had uploaded a few updates, so I searched for a version of interstellar that should have worked, but now when I try to take a crew report or an eva report, the drop down menu shows a whole bunch of radiation status labels that make it impossible to see any button that would have been below the radiation stats (because the radiatation stats continue all the way to the bottom of the screen.) I tried Interstellar 0.12.2, should I go try to find 0.12.1 or 0.12.0, or what???

I don't like this. =|

Original author does Good Work .

Original author goes AWOL.

Mod goes stale and breaks.

New author comes out with Interstellar Lite which makes many long-overdue overhauls to mod, things get radically better on all accounts. (roughly 85% of changes from new author are radical improvements!)

Original author returns, ignores improvements made by interim author, rolls back 99% of long overdue changes made by interim author, breaks compatibility with interim author and calls it a new version. =|

I maintain my own DMP modpak and this 0.13 version is just not worthy of it. 0.12.3 was much much better. =(

While I wouldn't put it quite as *frankly* as Alonzo, I tend to agree. The original mod is way too intricate. It doesn't abstract things it could. So, question - why isn't there a page for IS-Lite? What would it take to get it added to the master mod list on teh top of this thread?

And, major pet peeve of mine - what would it take to get you modders to cooperate enough to make something like IS-L work nicely w/ Asteroid Mining work nicely w/ a life support mod? It makes me want to pull my hair out. If I didn't spend all fing day and half the fing night working, I would do it myself, but I can't. I would LOVE for some small cabal of you guys to actually talk to each other and work out a plan to make things compatable.

An example of what I mean:

I want to use Karbonite/Asteroid Mining/Base building mods, but without made up resources (e.g. Karbonite)- but I want there to be a purpose for space station, asteroid depots, and colonies

What would be awesome? Simple resource system that consists of maybe water, organics, non-organics. I can make this into life support (with energy!) I can turn it into rocket fuel (with energy!). I can get this from asteroids, or moons (With energy! + drills). OK, use karbonite you say? Sure! But it lacks good nuclear reactors, thermal rockets, and other neato-stuff. So I want to use that, but I can't, because its not really fundamentally compatable w/ Karbonite. Plus - fractal UK insists on using a different type of energy (Or to be more accurate power) that is fundamentally incompatable with EVERY OTHER MOD. And really, the nicest lifesupport mod out there (the newest - interstellar life support) is dead simple, but doesn't have any renewable means of re-supplying your life support cycle (e.g. mining organics/water) which means it is fundementally incompatable with space stations, colonies, etc. etc.

Please please please - the sane modders among you, cooperate!

/Rant off.

-Seyv

DBZ- as i said in my post, I can't. I have few enough hours to actually relax. I thought I was being pretty damn specific about what I (and many others) want - which I took as being helpful, but I apologize if you read the tone as nasty.

Seyvern,

You posted while I was writing; I wasn't reacting to yours. Then I just deleted the thing because it wasn't helpful either. You're fine. Everything's fine. I'm sure everyone is doing just fine. Life is too short to worry about this. I just hope they fix the science problem.

While I wouldn't put it quite as *frankly* as Alonzo, I tend to agree. The original mod is way too intricate. It doesn't abstract things it could. So, question - why isn't there a page for IS-Lite? What would it take to get it added to the master mod list on teh top of this thread?

And, major pet peeve of mine - what would it take to get you modders to cooperate enough to make something like IS-L work nicely w/ Asteroid Mining work nicely w/ a life support mod? It makes me want to pull my hair out. If I didn't spend all fing day and half the fing night working, I would do it myself, but I can't. I would LOVE for some small cabal of you guys to actually talk to each other and work out a plan to make things compatable.

I want to use Karbonite/Asteroid Mining/Base building mods, but without made up resources (e.g. Karbonite)- but I want there to be a purpose for space station, asteroid depots, and colonies

What would be awesome? Simple resource system that consists of maybe water, organics, non-organics. I can make this into life support (with energy!) I can turn it into rocket fuel (with energy!). I can get this from asteroids, or moons (With energy! + drills). OK, use karbonite you say? Sure! But it lacks good nuclear reactors, thermal rockets, and other neato-stuff. So I want to use that, but I can't, because its not really fundamentally compatable w/ Karbonite. Plus - fractal UK insists on using a different type of energy (Or to be more accurate power) that is fundamentally incompatable with EVERY OTHER MOD. And really, the nicest lifesupport mod out there (the newest - interstellar life support) is dead simple, but doesn't have any renewable means of re-supplying your life support cycle (e.g. mining organics/water) which means it is fundementally incompatable with space stations, colonies, etc. etc.

/Rant off.

-Seyv

Interoperability has been a major focus of kspil. I was able to work with many other mod authors to improve resource compatibility, some structural changes have delayed further progress a bit, but I am confident that in the future that we can come up with a solution that will be inclusive which maintaining the integrity of each mod. It is not a simple process, and will likely take many interations and continued effort to maintain as new mods come and old ones go.

I just ask you to be patient. You are no being ignored, but development doesn't happen overnight. This is afterall a hobby for even the most dedicated mod developers.

edit: btw, kspil has it's own thread.

Fair enough. I'm generally patient. Just spent a few hours getting frustrated figuring out how to mod up 0.25 to have some semblence of what I'm looking for. In any case, must be blind, missed your thread, but you should lobby to get it added to this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55401-Community-Mods-and-Plugins-Library

its certainly worth of it.

-Seyv

Interoperability has been a major focus of kspil. I was able to work with many other mod authors to improve resource compatibility, some structural changes have delayed further progress a bit, but I am confident that in the future that we can come up with a solution that will be inclusive which maintaining the integrity of each mod. It is not a simple process, and will likely take many interations and continued effort to maintain as new mods come and old ones go.

I just ask you to be patient. You are no being ignored, but development doesn't happen overnight. This is afterall a hobby for even the most dedicated mod developers.

edit: btw, kspil has it's own thread.

Fair enough. I'm generally patient. Just spent a few hours getting frustrated figuring out how to mod up 0.25 to have some semblence of what I'm looking for. In any case, must be blind, missed your thread, but you should lobby to get it added to this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55401-Community-Mods-and-Plugins-Library

its certainly worth of it.

-Seyv

Consider that I will be merging back with kspi soon-ish, I don't see it as a priority.

/Rant off.

-Seyv

We have a thing for this... Community Resource Pack. It does not stomp on KSPI, and has interop between TAC-LS, ECLSS, Snacks!, Karbonite, K+, ESLD Jump Beacons, NearFuels, Near Future Technologies, Universal Storage, DangIt!, Extraplanetary Launchpads, and anything USI (MSK/OKS, Asteroid Recycling Tech, etc.). We had nice interop with KSPI-L. It would be nice to have interop with KSPI. Right now, it's more about making sure we don't actively stomp on KSPI ;)

So today if you want to use MKS/OKS + KSPI - it works. Water is weird, but is what it is (for now). If you want reactors and more accurate nuclear engines than stock (that use liquid hydrogen), you can find those in MKS/OKS, NFT, and FTT (in it's next release).

Wave and I worked well together when we did the interop run for KSPI-L, and as I have said before, I'd welcome any dialog that brings more mods onto the playground where we can all be on the same page.

I made a little MM patch to fix the gaps between the magnetic nozzles if anyone is interested.

@PART[KSPIMagneticNozzle1]:Final
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.401, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.21, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
}
@PART[KSPIMagneticNozzle2]:Final
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.80, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.50, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}
@PART[KSPIMagneticNozzle3]:Final
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.205, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.75, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
}

Edited by ruifung
Made 3.75m part use node3 size.

I'm having a problem with some of the fusion reactors. They seem to be spawning on the launch pad with no resources other than Lithium. It doesn't even appear that they have the ability to have fuel transferred to them. I've looked through this tread and I haven't found anything on this. I have deleted and reinstalled interstellar multiple times (0.25). Is it caused by another mod?

http://i.imgur.com/M1QYUOY.png

Correct. The warp drives needs a certain amount of power depending upon how fast you want to go with it. So, you can point your ship directly at another planet, click to activate the drive and it will instantly increase your velocity to the speed you have specified. Whenever you wish, you may then click to disable the drive and it will restore your ship's original momentum.

It is often best to make one warp journey at high speed to get close to the target, turn it off, then switch down to the slowest speed for a final approach toward the target planet.

Once you arrive in the SOI of the destination planet you will then have to make a burn, which does consume delta-v (and often massive quantities of it) in order to enter orbit. The warp drive is thus a great way of touring the solar system in order to work on solar energy to see all the other planets very quickly but is definitely not a fuel efficient approach to getting from a stable orbit of planet A to a stable orbit of planet B.

Well thanks for explaining it out.. I will now make one wrap journey and hope things will work out well for me..

Edited by DomingoBarrett

For some reason the Fusion Reactor upgrades do not work for me. Anyone else have this problem with this fix?

I found the problem, in the current version of KSPI there's a typo in the module name of the Fusion reactors. They are called "InterstellarTokamakFusionReator" instead of Reactor. So you need to change

@PART[FusionReactor250,FusionReactor375] {
@TechRequired = metaMaterials
@MODULE[InterstellarTokamakFusionReactor] {
@upgradeTechReq = nanolathing
}
}

To

@MODULE[InterstellarTokamakFusionReator] {
}
}

Then the upgrade works.

I made a little MM patch to fix the gaps between the magnetic nozzles if anyone is interested.

@PART[KSPIMagneticNozzle1]:Final
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.401, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.21, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
}
@PART[KSPIMagneticNozzle2]:Final
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.80, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.50, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}
@PART[KSPIMagneticNozzle3]:Final
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.205, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.75, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}

Great!!!

where do I put that?

I found the problem, in the current version of KSPI there's a typo in the module name of the Fusion reactors. They are called "InterstellarTokamakFusionReator" instead of Reactor. So you need to change

@MODULE[InterstellarTokamakFusionReactor] {
}
}

To

@MODULE[InterstellarTokamakFusionReator] {
}
}

Then the upgrade works.

Are you not contradicting yourself?

Also does anyone know if this mod, and Roverdudes mods are compatible, and if not, what to do to make them so?

Are you not contradicting yourself?

Also does anyone know if this mod, and Roverdudes mods are compatible, and if not, what to do to make them so?

Define compatible ;)

There is no interop - meaning, the resource sharing we enjoyed with KSPI-L is no longer present. Hopefully Fractal changes that at some point.

We do not conflict (MKS and all of the USI mods, as well as the ones we integrate with like SCANSat and the Resource Overlay tool by Cyrik use our own fork of ORS (ORSX) that is 100% independent of the original branch that Fractal maintains)

So you can use the mods together but there is no sharing, and water is a bit weird.

That being said, UncercoverYankee has done some excellent work patching the two together via MM patches, etc. and it offers nicer interop between KSPI and all of the USI stuff (and by association, better integration with the bits that USI mods play nice with, like Near Future Tech, TAC Life Support, ECLSS, Universal Storage, DangIt!, NearFuels, and others).

I have fully integrated my thermal adapter models into the game now with costs and correctly sized attachment nodes and everything, the FNThermalHeatExchanger module is already ingame so the part now seems to work as intended.

NqORMpE.jpg

n5M0EGW.jpg

Here I will provide a download,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpwq84f3p593mwo/ThermalAdapter.rar?dl=0

the folder should be dropped right into here> \Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Utility\ and the part should appear and function in your game, the part can transfer up to 1500 kelvin to the stack nodes on it's top and bottom and function just like the stack node for a reactor as far as I can tell including use for generators/thermal turbojets/thermal rocket nozzles. I am not sure if the 1500 kelvin limmit is total or to each adapter, I didn't have a chance to look too closely into how the module worked on the github. If anyone has any problems or suggestions just mention and I can work on any fixes or changes needed.

Define compatible ;)

There is no interop - meaning, the resource sharing we enjoyed with KSPI-L is no longer present. Hopefully Fractal changes that at some point.

We do not conflict (MKS and all of the USI mods, as well as the ones we integrate with like SCANSat and the Resource Overlay tool by Cyrik use our own fork of ORS (ORSX) that is 100% independent of the original branch that Fractal maintains)

So you can use the mods together but there is no sharing, and water is a bit weird.

That being said, UncercoverYankee has done some excellent work patching the two together via MM patches, etc. and it offers nicer interop between KSPI and all of the USI stuff (and by association, better integration with the bits that USI mods play nice with, like Near Future Tech, TAC Life Support, ECLSS, Universal Storage, DangIt!, NearFuels, and others).

Yea i noticed, unfortunately he doesn't seem to maintain it atm, which is unfortunate. USI mods and Interstellar has become my main go to mods.

Yea i noticed, unfortunately he doesn't seem to maintain it atm, which is unfortunate. USI mods and Interstellar has become my main go to mods.

It's been three or four days that I didn't really check the forum below the front page. Please give me at least a week before you start telling people that my work is obsolete, and if you test it and tell me what's broken I can be more productive when I do have time to work on it.

So I've installed this mod for the first time with 0.25, and I'm having a blast. My tech tree is messed up, but I think I can fix it with the information provided earlier in this thread.

However, I have some questions about the tech I've already unlocked (particularly beamed power), and if anyone can provide answers or get me pointed in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Please note that I've already read the entire KSPI wiki.

How many MW can each size of microwave thermal receiver practically make use of? Is there a curve or a hard cutoff?

Is there any information regarding the amount of thrust that the different sizes of thermal rockets and thermal turbojets put out based on how many GW or how much thermal power is available?

I haven't been able to put multiple 1.25m engines on a 2.5m thermal receiver, but are there any problems with having multiple 1.25m receivers? Or is it just a wash compared to a single 2.5m receiver and engine?

How much power is realistically useful for various engines? I saw that the 1.25m ATTILA will use up to 15 GW of beamed power - what about the others?

I currently have between 5 and 6 GW of power available on the launch pad, depending on the angle of relay satellites and whatnot. Is it worth increasing this further?

What sort of increased performance am I looking at with a medium transceiver for receiving power at interplanetary distance vs. a small receive only dish?

Thanks in advance for any help.