[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I don't understand the Wiki answer to the question:

[h=2]Tech tree does not display the same tree as what I see in your screenshots[/h]

It states I should start a new carreer and copy the first few lines from the new file to my existing carreer file. Perhaps it has something to do with 0.25 new safegame structer but in the new safegame file it mensions nothing about the new tech tree. Now how am I supposed to get access to the new tech tree in an existing carreer (unlocked up to tech level 6)

Does anyone else get an immediate game crash after the initial loading screen when using this mod? I have troubleshot by removing mods one at a time and discovered that i get a crash EVERY time when using this mod but not when its removed from gamedata. I really wanted those cool nuke reactors so im hoping this issue will be resolved when the techtree is fixed. BTW i wanna give my +1 to the anonish TechManager camp. Sounds like a great idea to integrate into KSPI

Does anyone else get an immediate game crash after the initial loading screen when using this mod? I have troubleshot by removing mods one at a time and discovered that i get a crash EVERY time when using this mod but not when its removed from gamedata. I really wanted those cool nuke reactors so im hoping this issue will be resolved when the techtree is fixed. BTW i wanna give my +1 to the anonish TechManager camp. Sounds like a great idea to integrate into KSPI

Did you checked your memory usage? Did you get each time an error box when you alt-tab on the desktop?

If not, you should try to start the game windowed or just press alt+enter to put it in windowed mode temporarily and check the task manager and see how much memory the game use.

I think Insterstellar add-on add a lot of new parts and you probably reach the 3.6 GB memory limit for the 32bits executable. So it just crash on loading.

If I'm right, then just use ActiveTextureManagement to lower the memory footprint or maybe try to deactivate a few other mods... Or just use -force-opengl mode. Using both ATM and OpenGL mode, I go down from (I think) more than 4 GB down to 1.6 ;)

@ALL

Nobody gentle enough to pack his MM file and all the fixes needed to get it working correctly on .25 version? Maybe with this new tree tool suggested in this post? I have to admit I'm totally lost this time!

Edited by FrancoisH

Nope. Not from what I saw anyway. I developed TechManager specifically against the tree.cfg that comes with Interstellar. Install TechManager and KSPI, but without TreeLoader, and you should be good on a new game. KSPI itself will put tree.cfg into your save game folder if you click on the "Interstellar tech tree update" box that pops up (and a restart is NOT required). If not, just manually put tree.cfg into your save game folder.

You can test by creating a custom game, giving yourself 5000 science and then digging deep enough into the tree to get at least one KSPI tech.

Hey guys, we have our science trees back! Anonish's TechManager is working great so far. My old Treeloader tree config file was still in my save folder, so all I had do was install the mod as you would any other.

yG5iRsT.png

I have fully integrated my thermal adapter models into the game now with costs and correctly sized attachment nodes and everything, the FNThermalHeatExchanger module is already ingame so the part now seems to work as intended.

http://i.imgur.com/NqORMpE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/n5M0EGW.jpg

Here I will provide a download,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpwq84f3p593mwo/ThermalAdapter.rar?dl=0

the folder should be dropped right into here> \Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Utility\ and the part should appear and function in your game, the part can transfer up to 1500 kelvin to the stack nodes on it's top and bottom and function just like the stack node for a reactor as far as I can tell including use for generators/thermal turbojets/thermal rocket nozzles. I am not sure if the 1500 kelvin limmit is total or to each adapter, I didn't have a chance to look too closely into how the module worked on the github. If anyone has any problems or suggestions just mention and I can work on any fixes or changes needed.

I'm back and have some work to show everyone on my Aluminium Hybrid Rocket Engine.

0asYZqk.jpgLLThpXU.jpg

The model is of course untextured and using a diffuse material in those images as I haven't created a texture for it yet however the model is mostly done and functional ingame. The idea is to have the aluminium in a powdered or pellet form in the engine part as seen there which accounts for the length of the part above the engine bell with space to store the 5.86 tons of aluminium the engine carries. The oxidizer storage will be handled by a matching set of oxidizer tanks and possibly some radially mounted aluminium storage/feeding parts as well that I haven't begun modeling yet.

The engine bell's shape and reinforcement is my attempt at creating a realistic exterior while still having an interesting appearance, the shape of the bell is designed to be reinforced at the nozzle and then rapidly expand from there to account for the extreme temperatures of a pure Aluminium and Liquid Oxygen reaction, while the reinforcing struts up the sides are meant to account for the torque that can be caused by the rapid acceleration such a reaction can involve.

Actually, there *IS* a benefit to having multiple receivers. It counts as having a larger total receiver area, and you'll get a *slightly* lower rate of transmission-loss. As in, maybe a couple fractions of a percent more total received power. And no two receivers ever have *exactly* the same path-length, or face *precisely* the same way, so there's always the benefits from that... (in fact, maybe the benefits I noticed from having multiple receivers on a single craft, even facing the same way, were just due to that... Although in real life, multiple receivers do amount to *slightly* lower transmission losses...)

Regards,

Northstar

Ok mr smarty pants :P You are technically more accurate. Although as the original question had to do with ships on Mun I didnt feel a need to get that technical. Its very doubtful anybody would notice the small efficiency benefit in the likely senario of kerbin based/orbital reactors sending power that short a distance. I guess if I'd said "they just may not offer *Much* benefit" instead of any it would be more accurate but were spiting hairs here. I dont consider reciveing 4.10001 GW over recieving 4.1GW to be particularly noteworthy :P

I wish that was true with me, If I put the TechManager into my Game data and all, it makes my game unable to start, it does all the module checks at first, but then will never even load the main menu.

I wish that was true with me, If I put the TechManager into my Game data and all, it makes my game unable to start, it does all the module checks at first, but then will never even load the main menu.

Been testing it out tonight and it is still working fine. Why don't you go report it to the Techmanager page and include your output log.

I did have it hang up on me once while loading the game, but an alt+f4 and restart worked.

If you use MKS + Karbonite there are some duplicate LEGACY folders - get rid of the Karbonite one.

Also - Nertea has started up a community tech tree thread. This is awesome. It would be double awesome of KSPI were interested in participation as it gets us back on the right path towards interop.

@Fractal_UK any interest in KSPI participation?

Hi.So, I just installed this mod, and so far it's running great. It's added a whole lot of things to the game that I really love, great job. I just have one question about how the atmospheric engines overheat now. I've put a pre-cooler behind the ram intake on my space plane, but it's still overheating at around 1500m/s. I assume this is due to the fact that I have a bunch of radial engines. I really hope there's a way to fix this without destroying the design of my plane, as I've managed to get it looking a lot like some real life spaceplane designs. If there's not a way to fix this overheating with the design, is there a way to fiddle with the code to make it work. Sorry, I know this helps make the game more realistic, and adds another level of challenge, which I'm normally all bout, but this feature is basically breaking the way I play spaceplanes, and making the awesome new intakes useless to me, so I'd rather do without it.

Other than that, fantastic mod, and I love it.

Sorry for the nub question, but I couldn't find this anywhere and am experiencing some confusion. Is it at all possible to power any type of Interstellar thrusters (for like a probe) using any type of unupgraded reactor/generator? Like what I am wondering is if before I unlock the upgrades can I use thrusters without beamed power, or is beamed power required to operate thrusters (to have enough MJs).

What I have been trying (unupgraded) is putting a probe into orbit with a generator attached to a reactor with various types of thrusters behind that. Kerbal Engineer tells me I should have some thrust in the VAB, but once I turn on the engine in space it has like .01 to .04 thrust depending on the type of engine I am using.

Basic setup - Probe core -> sm Liq tank -> 62.5 Gen -> SAFE 1500 -> 62.5 Attila

Can anything like that work or do I have to add beamed power?

yeah, pretty much. It is possible to do so using a ridiculous number of high-end solar panels - but that might not be feasible early on in the tech tree anyway. If the probe is going to moho or low solar orbit (for say a solar powered transmitting station) then it might be feasible.

so I'm sure I've done something dumb here... I searched the forum and didn't find anything that was new enough to be relevant to 0.25 though, so here goes - career mode... get to the 1000-point science nodes... and it just stops. There's no more nodes to get, so I'm locked out of most of the Interstellar parts. What did I do wrong here and how do I fix it? On previous KSP versions I did not have this issue.. did 0.25 break treeloader or whatever it is that makes it work? Please advise and thanks in advance :)

Sorry for the nub question, but I couldn't find this anywhere and am experiencing some confusion. Is it at all possible to power any type of Interstellar thrusters (for like a probe) using any type of unupgraded reactor/generator? Like what I am wondering is if before I unlock the upgrades can I use thrusters without beamed power, or is beamed power required to operate thrusters (to have enough MJs).

What I have been trying (unupgraded) is putting a probe into orbit with a generator attached to a reactor with various types of thrusters behind that. Kerbal Engineer tells me I should have some thrust in the VAB, but once I turn on the engine in space it has like .01 to .04 thrust depending on the type of engine I am using.

Basic setup - Probe core -> sm Liq tank -> 62.5 Gen -> SAFE 1500 -> 62.5 Attila

Can anything like that work or do I have to add beamed power?

The thrust is nonzero. Meaning that with nearly infinite patience and perhaps Principia for multiple-gravity-source low-energy transfers, you could eventually get anywhere with basic fission reactors and MPD thrusters. In real life, the Dawn probe currently traveling from Vesta to Ceres is doing roughly that: achieving about 10 km/s delta-v using an ion engine, solar power, and a lot of patience.

In practice, electric thrusters don't become fun until you have a higher watts-to-weight ratio (beamed power, fusion reactors, or solar panels very close to the sun).

so I'm sure I've done something dumb here... I searched the forum and didn't find anything that was new enough to be relevant to 0.25 though, so here goes - career mode... get to the 1000-point science nodes... and it just stops. There's no more nodes to get, so I'm locked out of most of the Interstellar parts. What did I do wrong here and how do I fix it? On previous KSP versions I did not have this issue.. did 0.25 break treeloader or whatever it is that makes it work? Please advise and thanks in advance :)

Yes, 0.25 broke TreeLoader. There's a community ModuleManager patch a few pages back that moves the remaining parts and upgrades into the remaining nodes, or you can delete TreeLoader and install the new TechManager plugin to bring the custom tree back.

Remember a few hundred pages back, there was a discussion about black hole power generation [refresher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_starship]? the following adds reactor modes and a reactor that mimics that somewhat, in turning various substances into energy. Note that throttle is 1 (Cannot throttle down from max) as the rate is dependent on the mass, which has to be kept in a relatively narrow range for stability.

The mass and power are Moved down tremendously from the RL numbers described there (606000 Metric Tonnes for the singularity, (606000 units of in-game mass) and produces 126 Petawatts (~311,111 times the power output of the 3.75 AM reactor)). Although MW/Mass is higher - the AM 3.75 has a ratio of 7500 MW/1000kg, while the BH reactor has somewhere around 208,000 MW/1000 kg.

The reaction rates for each substance are scaled as follows:

Antimatter use per MW per second:

1e-14 mg/s = 1e-17 g/s = 1e-20 kg/s

density of LF (using ridiculous in-game masses, ok?) = .005 Mg [i.e. metric tons]/L = 5 kg/L

LF @ [1e-20 kg/s]* [1 L/5kg] = .2e-20 L/s = 2e21 L/s

I then derived reaction rates for other substances by use of ratios of densities (intuitively, denser substances use less volume per MW per second).

REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
name = S-LF
ReactorType = 256
GUIName = Singularity[LF]
ChargedParticleRatio = .00001
Aneutronic = True
NormalisedReactionRate = 1.0
NormalisedPowerConsumption = 1.0
MeVPerChargedProduct = 2
FUEL
{
name = LiquidFuel
FuelName = LiquidFuel
UsagePerMW = 2.e-21
Unit = l
}
}
REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
name = S-O2
ReactorType = 256
GUIName = Singularity[O2]
Aneutronic = True
MeVPerChargedProduct = 2
FUEL
{
name = Oxidizer
FuelName = Oxidizer
UsagePerMW = 2.e-21
Unit = l
}
}
REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
name = S-MP
ReactorType = 256
GUIName = Singularity[MP]
Aneutronic = True
MeVPerChargedProduct = 2
FUEL
{
name = MonoPropellant
FuelName = MonoPropellant
UsagePerMW = 2.e-21
Unit = l
}
}
REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
name = S-MP
ReactorType = 256
GUIName = Singularity[MP]
Aneutronic = True
MeVPerChargedProduct = 2
FUEL
{
name = MonoPropellant
FuelName = MonoPropellant
UsagePerMW = 2.5e-21
Unit = l
}
}
REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
name = S-Xe
ReactorType = 256
GUIName = Singularity[Xe]
Aneutronic = True
MeVPerChargedProduct = 2
FUEL
{
name = XenonGas
FuelName = XenonGas
UsagePerMW = 1.e-19
Unit = l
}
}
REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
name = S-Air
ReactorType = 256
GUIName = Singularity[Air]
Aneutronic = True
MeVPerChargedProduct = 2
FUEL
{
name = IntakeAtm
FuelName = IntakeAtm
UsagePerMW = 2.e-21
Unit = l
}
}
REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
name = S-Ar
ReactorType = 256
GUIName = Singularity[Ar]
Aneutronic = True
MeVPerChargedProduct = 2
FUEL
{
name = ArgonGas
FuelName = ArgonGas
UsagePerMW = 2.e-19
Unit = l
}
}
REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
name = S-H2O
ReactorType = 256
GUIName = Singularity[H2O]
Aneutronic = True
MeVPerChargedProduct = 2
FUEL
{
name = Water
FuelName = Water
UsagePerMW = 1e-20
Unit = l
}
}
REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
name = S-Al
ReactorType = 256
GUIName = Singularity[Al]
Aneutronic = True
MeVPerChargedProduct = 2
FUEL
{
name = Aluminium
FuelName = Aluminium
UsagePerMW = 7.4074e-22
Unit = l
}
}
REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
name = S-DepletedFuel
ReactorType = 256
GUIName = Singularity[DepletedFuel]
Aneutronic = True
MeVPerChargedProduct = 2
FUEL
{
name = DepletedFuel
FuelName = DepletedFuel
UsagePerMW = 2.e-21
Unit = l
}
}

Reactor MM:

+PART[FNFissionFusionCatReactor]
{
@name = SingularityPowerSource
@title = Singularity Mass Converter
@cost = 500000
@mass = 200
@description = This device mantains a small magnetically contained electrically charged Black Hole [Gravitational Singularity], harnessing the Hawking radiation to power the generator.
!MODULE[InterstellarCatalysedFissionFusion]{}
!RESOURCE[UraniumNitride]{}
!RESOURCE[LqdDeuterium]{}
!RESOURCE[LqdHelium3]{}
MODULE
{
name = InterstellarTokamakFusionReator
ReactorTemp = 15513
PowerOutput = 18216
upgradedReactorTemp = 646146
upgradedPowerOutput = 1200000
upgradedName = High-Q Tokamak
originalName = D-T Tokamak
upgradeTechReq = interstellarTechUHEPhysics
upgradeCost = 250
radius = 3.75
minimumThrottle = 1
powerRequirements = 1e-4
chargedParticleRatio = 0.2
consumeGlobal = true
reactorType = 4
upgradedReactorType = 256
fuelEfficiency = 1
upgradedFuelEfficiency = 1
}
@RESOURCE[ThermalPower]
{
@maxAmount = 800000
}
}

There's also a new mod that replaces treeloader and works with tree.cfg files, it's called TechManager and it fixes this problem entirely, including adding the new nodes and everything.

Evidently someone has had more success than me then! On the plus side, now I can get to work on creating a fixed release rather than working on the fix itself. I have a pretty busy week going on this week and worse next week so will try to squeeze some hours in on it when I can and hopefully get a fully operational release out again to tide you all over until I can get back to work on proper new features.

If you use MKS + Karbonite there are some duplicate LEGACY folders - get rid of the Karbonite one.

Are the mod authors aware of this issue? That kind of thing REALLY should be on the release threads for both MKS/OKS and Kabonite...

Also - Nertea has started up a community tech tree thread. This is awesome. It would be double awesome of KSPI were interested in participation as it gets us back on the right path towards interop.

@Fractal_UK any interest in KSPI participation?

+1 on the Community Tech Tree. Fractal, I REALLY hope you jump in on this.

By the way, RoverDude, you linked to an individual post in the thread (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98409-Planning-Community-Tech-Tree?p=1507172#post1507172) rather than the thread itself(http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98409-Planning-Community-Tech-Tree). Just something to keep in mind, as it makes quoting your messages a bit more tedious/overwhelming with the extra text, and identifying where the link leads to (without clicking on it- not that I don't trust you) a bit more difficult...

Regards,

Northstar

@FractalUK (this is a re-post: the original post was 5 pages back, and I want to be sure you see this)

Adding to the list of things I've noticed so far that need fixing in KSP-Interstellar (current list: 100% of beamed power available being turned into WasteHeat rather than Reception limiting WasteHeat production, and the Meth/LOX engine having too low of an ISP and TWR compared to its real-world counterpart) are two more that deal specifically with the atmosphere of Kerbin.

Namely, there's not much we can do with Nitrogen. Despite Nitrogen being abundantly available in Kerbin's atmosphere, it doesn't appear that we can perform something as simple as the Haber Process to produce our own Ammonia, and thus eventually, Monopropellant from it (this could be useful for a variety of reasons...), and we cannot use the Nitrogen as a plasma thruster propellant, despite this being perhaps the single closest design of plasma thruster to actually seeing real-life utilization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicon_Double_Layer_Thruster

I would very much like to be able to perform BOTH of these functions (the Haber Process, and using Nitrogen as a plasma thruster propellant). Ideally, WITHOUT having to land on the surface of Kerbin, so I can build something like a Propulsive Fluid Accumulator for Ammonia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propulsive_fluid_accumulator

Using Nitrogen as a plasma thruster propellant would actually make it feasible to maintain a 60 km x 60 km "orbit" on Kerbin to collect Oxygen (and possibly also surplus Nitrogen) for a fuel depot, using Nitrogen from the upper atmosphere in a plasma thruster to counteract drag... (Thermal Tubojets don't operate at such high speeds, and if they did would have too low of an ISP to counteract the drag produced by even just their intakes at those speeds...)

Speaking of which, it would also GREATLY be appreciated if you allowed Atmospheric Scoops and ISRU refineries (utilizing gas resources) to work *JUST OUTSIDE* of the atmospheres- like is ALREADY implemented in the Karbonite mod- so we could accumulate atmospheric gasses at a slow-rate in time-warp without having to babysit a plane or rocket flying at 4x physics warp in order to run an atmospheric scoop, which can get EXTREMELY annoying... Doing so would also open the door to allowing these atmospheric-accumulators to work when the craft is unloaded- much like Tritium Breeding (and nuclear fuel decay) currently does; and Antimatter Collection, ISRU mining/refining operations, and Science Labs all *should* (and do, to various degrees of effectiveness, depending on the current version and bugs...)

Regards,

Northstar