[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

If it's a probe and you're out of electric charge, you have no control, so you can't extend the panels because you can't make the ship do anything. There's a way to get around this- a Kerbal on EVA should be able to right-click the closed panels (so long as they're close enough to them) and manually pull the panels open. Then once you get a little power into the probe you'll have control again.

I don't have enough time to bring other kerbals there... can I edit the electric charge from persistent.sfs? How? Just to get enough EC to open the panels...

After attaching a generator in the VAB/SPH - right click on it, there is a button in its right-click-menu to switch between the two modes. You can only switch the mode in the editor, once a generator is launched, it is unswitchable.
Reactors only use what is demanded of them. This minimizes fuel consumption and waste heat production. The only time they will operate at 100% is when the power demand requires it. You will see this happen when you have a transceiver set to transmit or when you have electric engines at maximum power (and haven't reached their caps). Otherwise it throttles them back to only use what is needed. (Ex. 2.5 Fusion with thermal gen powering a Vista usually runs at about 86% if I remember correctly)

The generators can be tricky, they seem to always default to the mode I don't want them running in. I don't usually mess with DC gens, so I just slap thermals on unless I am building a power satellite, then I use both.

You aren't getting generators mixed up with reactors are you? Gens almost never operate at 100% while reactors commonly do. If you are still having problems, post a screenie.

Thank you both for answering. No, I'm using the generators. Thing is, I'm not given the choice to swap mode in the VAB by right-clicking on the generators, although upon testing, I was able to do that in sandbox mode. I think I might not have the technology for swapping yet - I'm still using Brayton Cycle Gas Turbines. That hasn't stopped them from going into charged electron mode (more often than not, actually), and my test rig of a 3.75m FR with one Turbine on top and one on the bottom plus a cryostat and some radiators will have the generator on top operate at "30.4%" and produce 4.43GW (max 5.54) and the one on the bottom operate at "85%" and producing 3.10 GW (max 3.10). This fits nicely with the generator producing 14.6GW of heat and 3.6GW of charged particles, and it is the behavior I'm after. However, as soon as I start building the rig out to make my Uranus lander, both the generators start operating at "85%" and produce 1.55GW each.

Are they even supposed to be able to use charged particles when not upgraded?

The persistent.sfs (and also quicksave.sfs files) are merely text files that can be edited in any appropriate editor. I use Notepad++ myself.

You will have to find that particular vessel in the file, then find one or more parts capable of storing EC and changing the values to something nonzero. It's late, I'm tired, and I'm not looking up specific variable names, etc tonight. If you are still having issues, I might post more details tomorrow...after sleep...

The persistent.sfs (and also quicksave.sfs files) are merely text files that can be edited in any appropriate editor. I use Notepad++ myself.

You will have to find that particular vessel in the file, then find one or more parts capable of storing EC and changing the values to something nonzero. It's late, I'm tired, and I'm not looking up specific variable names, etc tonight. If you are still having issues, I might post more details tomorrow...after sleep...

Done ;)

Thank you all

So I have a problem with the Science Lab. When I collect the data from the "research", it gives me data but no science out of it.

http://i.imgur.com/WPZMWIe.jpg

When I used it yesterday it worked perfectly. It seems that it only works once... :(

Also, the science rate is wrong. 0.654/day is "data" per day, the science that you recieve is way higher than 0.654 per day. (That's what happened the first time I used the lab)

Still without solution? Anyone? It's really annoying.

I tried reloading the craft, stopping the research, reseting the game and all, but it's stil not giving me any science form the data.

This started to happen when the "stock science" was added to the lab. Maybe it's not giving science because the game thinks that I already have this experiment, like stock science reports.

Edited by marc40k

Anyone know the "right" numbers to put in the Aluminum Hybrid Rocket to make its model correctly scaled? As it is now, the attach nodes seem to indicate that it should be a 2.5m part but it shows up the same size as the stock RT-10.

Also having similar problems with the magnetic nozzles, but I don't use those at all so it's less important.

I'm sure these problems have been mentioned (and fixed) 10 or so times before, but even with 50 replies per page this thread has 253 pages, forum search turned up nothing but dead ends, and google just sends me to the end of the thread on every different result.

At this point it's either ask for help here, or roll my own configs. Normally I'm fine with rolling my own configs, but with my KSP currently taking ~5 minutes to start up each time that seems like a losing proposition.

EDIT: (adding to post instead of making a new one)

Are magnetic nozzles supposed to have nearly useless low thrust?

I'm not having a functionality problem. I'm having a balance problem.

They work, but they're pitifully weak. They make the stock ion engine (BEFORE it was buffed) look like a MAINSAIL.

I've got the tech tree fully unlocked, including ALL KSPI nodes.

The engine never produces anywhere NEAR the 675kN thrust it's supposedly capable of. None of them do.

If they're supposed to be better than the thermal rocket nozzle, they're not.

No matter what combination of fusion reactor or sethlans/akula reactor + magnetic nozzle (any size) I use, the TWR is always abysmal. 0.06 is the BEST i've gotten (that's Decimal Zero Six).

I want them to be useful, but right now putting them on a ship is worse than useless to me.

My problem is that a straight replacement of a magnetic nozzle with a thermal nozzle will ALWAYS increase BOTH thrust AND total Delta-V.

Sure the Isp is less, but the increased thrust to weight of the thermal nozzle makes up for it quite a bit.

In other words, there's no situation where I'd ever choose a magnetic nozzle over a thermal nozzle. Not even probes. This doesn't seem to be what was intended for them, and I'm just trying to point that out.

Edited by SciMan

You can add reource keys to atmosphereicresources and use the scoops. You can do all of what you are asking with an mm config afaik.

Telling me to make a mod for a mod, generally isn't a very helpful solution.

If it's so simple to add (somehow, I don't think it is), then why doesn't Fractal_UK just add it to KSP-Interstellar, and have it done with once and for all?

Regards,

Northstar

I'd like to do that as well, the problem is tankage. I'm reticent to add more fuel tanks which take up space in the part list and probably won't be high quality models because they'd probably have to be made by me. It would certainly be useful to have it as a resource both as a propellant and for ISRU purposes but that's the dilemna at present.

What about just using tweakable tank types, B9 Aerospace/ Firespitter style? You could probably even just re-use/re-release the same modules they did to make tank types switchable (with permission of course).

It's not like the mod isn't already sorely in need of more tank types anyways. The Ammonia, LiquidWater, and Methane tanks are all extremely limited by only coming in one type/size (radial or 2.5 meter inline- and only in a few sizes- I can't make a really short 2.5 meter methane tank for a lander, for instance). Adding a few catch-all tanks that work equally well for Ammonia, Nitrogen, or even pure LiquidFuel (maybe you could just use the models you did for the LF-only tanks) would probably be a good idea... Such tanks would also make it easy to add a couple other desirable resources, like Carbon Dioxide (useful if you could scoop it off the edge of Duna's atmosphere, and run the Sabatier process in orbit), and Carbon Monoxide (it's possible to produce it from CO2 and Hydrogen using the Reverse Water Gas Shift Reaction, and then burn it with Oxygen for an entirely ISRU-propelled rocket that doesn't require locating ice deposits...)

Personally, I use RealFuels and ProceduralParts, though, so I have any tank type I could need anyways- I just need a way to harvest Nitrogen and the resource to store in the first place...

This would open the door to lots of propellant (Nitrogen-electric propulsion, mainly) and ISRU purposes (including Propulsive Fluid Accumulators and the Haber Process) like you said- so maybe it's worth the time? I'm sure you could get some of the players here to help you create general-purpose fuel tank models/artwork, so all you have to do is the coding aspect of it...

In other news:

Most of the changes for the next update have now been made and it's now just on to the testing and tweaking stage.

Great! I'm always grateful/thankful for all your hard work Fractal! :)

By the way, any thought to adjusting the ISP/thrust of the Meth/LOX engine to match the real-world Raptor (currently the ISP is too low, as is the TWR). I already managed to get a patch added to the RealFuels Stockalike engine config for a realistic ISP, so I won't be *too upset* if it never sees its way into the base mod; but I figured the mod is fairly closely based off real-world values to begin with, so why not get this one right...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Anyone know the "right" numbers to put in the Aluminum Hybrid Rocket to make its model correctly scaled? As it is now, the attach nodes seem to indicate that it should be a 2.5m part but it shows up the same size as the stock RT-10.

Also having similar problems with the magnetic nozzles, but I don't use those at all so it's less important. â€â€Ã¢â‚¬â€

Aluminium hybrid rocket & Argon container size fix

@PART[AluminiumHybrid1] {
@MODEL,0 {
@scale = 1, 1, 1
}
}

@PART[BigXenonTank] {
@MODEL,0 {
@scale = 0.5, 0.5, 0.5
}
}

magnetic nozzle node fix

@PART[KSPIMagneticNozzle1]:Final
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.401, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.21, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
}
@PART[KSPIMagneticNozzle2]:Final
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.80, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.50, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}
@PART[KSPIMagneticNozzle3]:Final
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.205, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.75, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}

â€â€Ã¢â‚¬â€The engine never produces anywhere NEAR the 675kN thrust it's supposedly capable of. None of them do.

If they're supposed to be better than the thermal rocket nozzle, they're not.

No matter what combination of fusion reactor or sethlans/akula reactor + magnetic nozzle (any size) I use, the TWR is always abysmal. 0.06 is the BEST i've gotten (that's Decimal Zero Six).â€â€Ã¢â‚¬â€

try them with AIM reactor, I managed to get twr 0.97 (the vessel had no payload, but still...)

YzUAwgX.png

Hi!

Im currently playing with RSS (Actual earth, not 6.4x) and want advanced technology to make my burns easier. *COUGH COUGH VISTA* instead of waiting 10 hours for a NERVA, even with tweakscale. What I dont want to do is have to hoist giant reactors into geostationary orbits, as that is quite hard. So, how do I change the engine so the need for megajoules=0? Thanks!

Hi!

Im currently playing with RSS (Actual earth, not 6.4x) and want advanced technology to make my burns easier. *COUGH COUGH VISTA* instead of waiting 10 hours for a NERVA, even with tweakscale. What I dont want to do is have to hoist giant reactors into geostationary orbits, as that is quite hard. So, how do I change the engine so the need for megajoules=0? Thanks!

Dude.

If you got cash get win 8.1(interprits vista as windows vista)

On to ur question

Go to the part config and change it

Simple!

:)

go to warp file and parts and then type the name of the part.

A thought: What about a manual throttle limiter for reactors? There are times when I want a small fission reactor to run as long as possible, such as when it's just providing start up power for a fusion reactor or keeping an antimatter bottle charged. It'd be nice if we could adjust the "control rods" to keep the reactor at a permanent 30% output instead of letting it throttle up automatically.

Dude. If you got cash get win 8.1(interprits vista as windows vista) On to ur question Go to the part config and change it Simple! :) go to warp file and parts and then type the name of the part.
Well, first I was talking about the DT Vista engine... And second, I know how to cfg edit, but I have no idea where to change if it needs MJs or not

I've researched Experimental Electronics but I'm unable to upgrade/retrofit my generators on previously launched vessels, I was able to upgrade the radiators but there is no option for the generators no matter what I do.

I have tried re-launching the same vessel and it does have the upgraded generators so I know I have the Tech...

Is this a bug or am I just doing it wrong?

I'll check how much science I have next time I load up the game, I didn't see anything in the docco talking about upgrades requiring science.

EDIT: Ok found the issue the cost listed in the config file was science cost not money cost, strange that the radiators cost was about 15 yet the generators was 200.

Thanks for the help Einarr

Edited by 7rex

hi, I've got some strange issues with vessels going pink, I posted here cuz I remembered somebody reporting about radiators going pink.

I launched a test vehicle on a sub orbital trajectory, it was all fine until the vessel hit the atmosphere again, then after a few seconds the whole vessel went pink (pink blob in the shape of the craft, didn't look like individual parts going pink) and things went very weird. I had parachutes on it so I activated that, it didn't graphically show and immediately I heard it explode. The vessel didn't seem to slow down by the atmosphere, and it then smashed into the ground at vertical speeds of above 1000.

I checked inside the output log file, and the only stuff I found was this. It didn't lead to anything :(

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Active Vessel is in atmosphere. Cannot save.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Vessel Testing crashed through terrain on Kerbin

[00:05:59]: Testing crashed into Kerbin.

Any help? I also posted this in the modded help forums, sorry if it was not related to interstellar.

@Fractal_UK

The Thermal Fin parts in the RealFuels mod currently could badly use a more aerodynamic shape, and a more realistic color for a radiator (*cough* they're currently WHITE rather than BLACK), and I was wondering if I could get your permission to allow a fork of the model for the large, triangular static radiators currently in KSP-Interstellar for a revised version of the part (but scaled-down to a more reasonable size for a craft that is only trying to coll cryogenic propellants rather than dissipate the heat of a nuclear reactor...)

The middle, ugly, white, square part in the screenshot below is what the RealFuels Thermal Fins currently look like:

vXipoXQ.jpg

Their model could really use some love, as you can see. So if you would allow a fork of the current static radiator models, or someone else could generate a new model for RealFuels (with a triangular shape for aerodynamics during launch, and a black color for realism), that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,

Northstar