[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Hi, i have problem with my antimatter reactor. I discovered the hole techtree and still 1.25m antimatter reactor produce 5GW of power. Shouldn't it be upgraded and produce more? I tested that on new ships.

Didn't I just mentioned that just looking at the 1.25 powergenerator configuration file, a 1.25m antimatter reactor cannot procude more than 5GW of power because the generator maxThermalPower is also 5GM. I suggest to put my theory to the test and manualy set the 1.25 powergenerator maxThermalPower to 15GW (15000) and check if it still produces only 5GW

Edited by FreeThinker

I just had my rocket building interface all turn WHITE after I pressed "Install update" on the message that appears as soon as I login into the game... I have a bunch of other mods but have no idea what caused my interface all messed up. And I want to have all those mods as well as interstellar. Does anyone know of this issue or what's causing it? Or is it very hard incompatibility between interstellar and some other mods?

I just wanted to chime in and mention that KSP.log adds 270kb to it's size worth of "rd _Emissive: WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/RadialHeatRadiator/d_glow (UnityEngine.Texture2D)" lines every minute that you use a craft with a radial radiator on it. That's a +1 mb in 4 minutes.

<left field>

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

I just figured out why my water-propellant nuclear craft aren't getting the level of performance I figured they should be getting.

Using the MFT mod; A fuel tank that can hold 4 tons of fuel only holds 800 kg of water.

</left field>

Using the MFT mod; A fuel tank that can hold 4 tons of fuel only holds 800 kg of water.

That's... odd. What kind of fuel do you have that's that much denser than water? Liquidfuel should be 20% less dense or so assuming it's kerosene. Or 92% less dense if it's liquid hydrogen.

That's... odd. What kind of fuel do you have that's that much denser than water? Liquidfuel should be 20% less dense or so assuming it's kerosene. Or 92% less dense if it's liquid hydrogen.

if you look at the config for KSPI tanks, in the water tank def, the line

utilization = whatever has "whatever" of less than one (not sure why the one who put it together did that). if you remove that line, the tank will use the normal volume of the given tank. that value scales the base tank volume, accounting for fuels that might lose volume (say to extra insulation or shielding) or be highly compressible (say Xenon and Argon gas).

density doesn't come into play for that, that determines mass of full tank, as well as drain rate when the resource is used.

Hihi, I'm wondering how horrific it would be if I removed the TreeLoader folder from Gamedata? I've run some tests and without it I get a popup on first login to a new game saying that items were added to the techtree and to restart KSP. I've also unlocked the tree to the nuclear node and Interstellar items are there. The problem with mumech is that for some reason, with it installed I have to leave the tech tree for new nodes to show up ( Running 64bit KSP on linux ).

Hihi, I'm wondering how horrific it would be if I removed the TreeLoader folder from Gamedata? I've run some tests and without it I get a popup on first login to a new game saying that items were added to the techtree and to restart KSP. I've also unlocked the tree to the nuclear node and Interstellar items are there. The problem with mumech is that for some reason, with it installed I have to leave the tech tree for new nodes to show up ( Running 64bit KSP on linux ).

Asumeing your playing on .25 and useing version 0.13 of KSPI then the answer is not even remotely horrific. In fact you should remove treeloader as it is compleatly broken in this version. Yank the folder out and replace it with Tech Manager. Undercoveryankee has been doing a very nice writeup recently including install instructions. If you need more help geting it to work I suggest you look back a page or two to find the link to his writeup as he walks through it step by step.

if you look at the config for KSPI tanks, in the water tank def, the line

utilization = whatever has "whatever" of less than one (not sure why the one who put it together did that). if you remove that line, the tank will use the normal volume of the given tank. that value scales the base tank volume, accounting for fuels that might lose volume (say to extra insulation or shielding) or be highly compressible (say Xenon and Argon gas).

density doesn't come into play for that, that determines mass of full tank, as well as drain rate when the resource is used.

What I wound up doing is altering the Squad Resource file so Fuel, Oxidizer, and Monoprop all have a mass of 0.001 and went through the MFT configs, multiplying the tank volumes accordingly. For the record, I did try altering them to their real world masses (0.0008, 0.001141, and 0.001012) but ran into some pretty severe game balance problems when I did so (rockets had ~25-30% more dV for the same mass). I didn't want to spend the time to figure out a way to rebalance the game and 1kg per unit works just fine.

Your way sounds easier :P

What I wound up doing is altering the Squad Resource file so Fuel, Oxidizer, and Monoprop all have a mass of 0.001 and went through the MFT configs, multiplying the tank volumes accordingly. For the record, I did try altering them to their real world masses (0.0008, 0.001141, and 0.001012) but ran into some pretty severe game balance problems when I did so (rockets had ~25-30% more dV for the same mass). I didn't want to spend the time to figure out a way to rebalance the game and 1kg per unit works just fine.

Your way sounds easier :P

what you did is kind of what one does to scale everything for proper realism with RF and stuff

If you're using the stock tech tree, a few upgradeTechReq settings need to be switched to nodes that exist. If you're using TechManager to load the Interstellar tree, the upgrades should work the same way they did with TreeLoader. I'm still a few chapters of the Illustrated Guide away from unlocking any upgrades, but when I get there I'll be able to test upgrades in a TechManager/Unofficial KSPI tree career in detail.

Speaking of the Guide, Chapter 1: Heat and Radiators is up if anyone wants to critique or revise.

I love the guides so far. I wish I had a resource of similar quality way back when I was learning to use the various features in KSPi.

Would've made the learning process much easier.

Something occurred to me today: The thermal receivers could be used with mirrors to generate electricity. A thermal receiver paired with a generator, as usual, but then a series of heliostats placed in the vicinity to direct the light to it. I suppose if the heliostats were a part of the same vessel it would be easier to make them automatically aim for the receiver, but if it was possible to have other vessels (in orbit, or on the surface) track the sun and the receiver you could have much larger arrays.

Actually, I have a much simpler question than all that crap I just wrote. Sorry.

The Antimatter Containers cost 0 in the info, but adding them costs like a bazillion dollars. And the smaller two make my ship negative cost. Is there a fix for this?

Edited by giddonah

I love the guides so far. I wish I had a resource of similar quality way back when I was learning to use the various features in KSPi.

Would've made the learning process much easier.

No kidding.

Thanks UCY! Should be a big help to distill out the important posts from the vast scope of this thread.

Actually, I have a much simpler question than all that crap I just wrote. Sorry.

The Antimatter Containers cost 0 in the info, but adding them costs like a bazillion dollars. And the smaller two make my ship negative cost. Is there a fix for this?

The comprehensive patch that I compiled to distribute with the Illustrated Guide includes a fix for the negative costs. The tanks in unmodified KSPI should start empty in the VAB and should cost 20,000, 40,000, and 60,000 empty, as measured in the cost of the rocket. The part's info window may display the cost of the tank and enough AM to fill it even though the tank defaults to empty, which is an astronomical number because AM costs more than 4500 funds a unit.

The comprehensive patch that I compiled to distribute with the Illustrated Guide includes a fix for the negative costs. The tanks in unmodified KSPI should start empty in the VAB and should cost 20,000, 40,000, and 60,000 empty, as measured in the cost of the rocket. The part's info window may display the cost of the tank and enough AM to fill it even though the tank defaults to empty, which is an astronomical number because AM costs more than 4500 funds a unit.

Awesome, thanks. Sorry. I feel like most of my questions are answered with some simple piece of information somewhere that I should have seen.

Any one got a solution for the air intakes not placing when adding 2x to aircraft? When I sometimes manage to get 1 to attach properly i go to lauch/simulate and it does the annoying "lets view the inside of the planet" glitch.. Happens regaurdless if it's stock or B9 intakes, i've deleted warp plugin folder and it works properly even with the numerous other mods i have installed but put interstellar back on and it's back to the same problem. I know there are a few other people with this problem but I couldn't find any posts related to resolving them which is why i thought i'd clutter the feed/forum with my whinging. The squeaky wheel gets the oil :)

Juggernaut I'm having the same issue but with the engine nacelle. Anytime I put it on a craft and go to launch it the game does the inside the planet thing and I can't continue. Any sort of fixes would be great I'm trying to find the culprit but not to much experience in that.