[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

before 0.90, I had an orbital antimatter-power station pushing 420GW peak. There aren't enough radiators on Kerbin to stabilize that heat output long-term, sadly. Had to turn it down to about 45-50%.

Ater deleting the Attila thrusters and Methane Engines (didn't like them), it seems it can actually afford two launched. Definetely RAM issue. How do I set ATM to Aggressive?

There are 2 versions, standard and aggressive, if you started with the lighter version I think there is a cache folder you need to delete or it loads both textures into ram.

I am playing in career and haven't unlocked warp drive or antimatter reactors.

The bigger reactors are good for a microwave power network. Which can give enough energy to use thermal and plasma engines. My network has around 70 gigawatts. I haven't needed to go beyond that, I think if you really go crazy you can have overheating problems.

I have 40gs on the ground from a few reactors about 2.5 km from the space center, and 70gs in space.

I haven't played KSPI since .24, but you can overcome the heating problems by using a thermal receiver in conjunction with a generator, powering a plasma engine. Your power input is cut in half by the generator inefficiency, but you need only small radiators for any amount of power and you can simply double the network power to generate nominal thrust. I was rocking a terawatt network, at which point I was getting maximum thrust out of even the large plasma engine using hydrogen reaction mass, even at semi-oblique angles.

For anyone having memory issues running KSP: I use ATM and -force-opengl

create a shortcut (or edit your current shortcut) as follows:

right click the shortcut and select properties.

after the window opens there will be a target field usually says "directory path\shortcutname.exe"

write after the target: "directory path\shortcutname.exe" -force-opengl

that's OPENGL (lower case l can be hard to read depending on font)

you can search on the forums for better instructions, but i went from running about 10 heavy mods to well over 20 with no issues.

So on Kerbin, the KSPI atmospheric scoops will scoop oxygen as Oxidizer, but not argon. Those are some details I can work with. I replace Interstellar's argon resource with the CRP/NearFuture argon, and it looks like I left the old resource name in the ORS atmospheric configs. In KSPI_CRP_Pack/CRPResourcePack_Atmospheric.cfg, change all occurrences of "resourceName = Argon" to "resourceName = ArgonGas" and see if that makes a difference. I'll post an official update when I get a chance.

They are working now thank you sir!

With the patch from the wiki, I had a problem with Antimatter in the vab. The tank always costs what a full tank would cost, even when empty. Adjusting the amount didn't change the cost. I removed the below, it went back to costing nothing.

@PART[AntimatterTank*]:AFTER[WarpPlugin] {

costOfResources = #$/RESOURCE[Antimatter]/maxAmount$

// We should be able to pull the cost of antimatter from the resource

// definition. Since that isn't working for some reason, I've copied and

// pasted the current number.

// @costOfResources *= #$@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Antimatter]/unitCost$

@costOfResources *= 4819.22

@cost += #$costOfResources$

!costOfResources = null

They are working now thank you sir!

With the patch from the wiki, I had a problem with Antimatter in the vab. The tank always costs what a full tank would cost, even when empty. Adjusting the amount didn't change the cost. I removed the below, it went back to costing nothing.

@PART[AntimatterTank*]:AFTER[WarpPlugin] {

costOfResources = #$/RESOURCE[Antimatter]/maxAmount$

// We should be able to pull the cost of antimatter from the resource

// definition. Since that isn't working for some reason, I've copied and

// pasted the current number.

// @costOfResources *= #$@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Antimatter]/unitCost$

@costOfResources *= 4819.22

@cost += #$costOfResources$

!costOfResources = null

I found the same thing while I was updating the integration package. The problem is that CRP includes an outdated definition of Antimatter that makes Antimatter cost nothing, and the patch to the tanks assumes that AM costs √4819.22 per unit the way KSPI defines it. I added a new patch to the integration pack (https://www.dropbox.com/s/34crak0e0qf8qud/KSPI_CRP_20141220.zip?dl=0 ) that disables any definitions of Antimatter that don't have a cost, so KSPI's definition will win. If you update the integration pack, you can put the patch to the tank back in.

before 0.90, I had an orbital antimatter-power station pushing 420GW peak. There aren't enough radiators on Kerbin to stabilize that heat output long-term, sadly. Had to turn it down to about 45-50%.

IIRC the upgraded 3m antimatter reactor pushes out 405GW thermal at peak. I think you can make that work constantly if you use... 24 of the upgraded large flat radiators?

I'd go with a couple more than that just to take care of any potential spikes in waste heat, but it's not exactly impossible to make it work. Of course, at 5t each, that's a full 120 tons of the ship dedicated purely to radiators, so it's not going to be easy to launch, but it's certainly possible.

If you have that much power in your microwave network, microwave thermal rockets start putting out enough thrust to easily rip the craft apart if it doesn't have a bunch of struts holding everything together. Don't even think of using LFO, and an Ox/Methane microwave thermal rocket isn't going to stay together with that kind of power no matter how many struts you use.

I've taken to using a microwave thermal receiver connected to a thermal generator, and just using plasma thrusters for launch. Solves the "too much thrust" problem quite nicely, and it takes a lot less fuel to do it as well. From ground level, the large plasma thruster at full power can put 150-175t in orbit for around 1500 liquid fuel. The TWR at that kind of payload weight isn't great, but the efficiency of plasma thrusters more than offsets the higher gravity losses you get with lower TWR launchers.

EDIT:

Wait, I just got a crazy press for a no fuel spacecraft. However, before I post it and make a fool of myself if I'm wrong, it's our possible to get something to a suborbital trajectory with a thermal Turbojet?

It's entirely possible to make a ship that requires zero propellant mass to go anywhere.

Thermal turbojets can push a ship out of the atmosphere using only the air from the intakes, and the upgraded plasma thrusters (Quantum Vacuum thruster) don't need any propellant to move a ship in vacuum.

All you have to worry about is keeping the reactor running. You really should use a reactor for this, and Antimatter is probably the only thing that can make it work well enough to be useful.

However, if you add a warp drive to that, there's not a lot that you can't do with it.

I've had best results using Antimatter for that purpose, and if you put an Antimatter collector on the ship along with all those other systems, it should be able to go anywhere, for "free".

The quantum vacuum thruster in vacuum plasma mode produces about 60% of the thrust of the same thruster using Liquid fuel, so I usually keep at least a little bit of that on hand in case I need more thrust.

Edited by SciMan

Oh, I meant idea. Stupid auto correct.

And yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking of. However, I was not sure if Thermal Turbojets had the power to get a Plasma Engine, a Reactor and any useful payload to suborbital speeds. If it is possible, then I'm actually going to go on with my project. Thanks!

Oh, I meant idea. Stupid auto correct.

And yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking of. However, I was not sure if Thermal Turbojets had the power to get a Plasma Engine, a Reactor and any useful payload to suborbital speeds. If it is possible, then I'm actually going to go on with my project. Thanks!

I had same idea...but even more crazy why using any onboard reactor? build huge enough beamed power network to power quantum vacum to have resonable trust and just use termal turbojet with termal reciver - much lither craft without ANY internal fuel (or u can have a reactor AND beamed power t maximalise efficiency and not beeing doomed without antimater

I had same idea...but even more crazy why using any onboard reactor? build huge enough beamed power network to power quantum vacum to have resonable trust and just use termal turbojet with termal reciver - much lither craft without ANY internal fuel (or u can have a reactor AND beamed power t maximalise efficiency and not beeing doomed without antimater

This is what i have been doing in my latest save but it feels so much like cheating :/

This is what i have been doing in my latest save but it feels so much like cheating :/

its not cheting u make so big effort to set up a beamed power network and unlock quantum vacum truster and others so its only ... i dont now how say it in english but u hard work to do it so u deserve it think how many science and effort u need to make it in Career? even in science mode is not so easy

Beamed Power, huh? I had also thought of that, but isn't the atmosphere going to make the relays extremely inefficient?

The atmosphere does have a considerable impact on efficiency, but fortunately this is not Kerbal Truck Simulator 2014, and you can leave the atmosphere. Launch thrusts using beamed power are still more than possible, however, especially if you have a ground-based generator.

Beamed Power, huh? I had also thought of that, but isn't the atmosphere going to make the relays extremely inefficient?

Why not place a reactor station on surface to provide start"kick" laterr u will be higher u will have more power so it wont be so big deal aspacjaly for termal turbojets wich dont need much power and higher u get-more power will u gain from outside of atmosfere stations

It works but the generator's are buggy when switching fuel types. There are other things but I've play for a few hour now and had very miner problems. The biggest is tweak scale crashing. I just removed it for now.

on0.90 is completly dead or have some funcjnality?

I've tried in sandbox and 0.13 works fine for the warp drive and power plants - tested with "Working Multiple Star Systems" and a fair few other mods. Didn't test tweakscale with it though, or do anything other than launch to 80km, power up, warp to a different star, and use a plasma thruster to try circularizing. (42K D/V!)

Currently going through career mode and I have only just unlocked reactors, so I haven't had a chance to try this properly yet, though the parts all appear properly in the VAB list once researched (using Techmanager 1.5, removed TreeLoader packaged with KSPI).

Anyone know for sure what doesn't work in 0.90, or another reason to not use Interstellar 0.13 with KSP 0.90?

I've tried in sandbox and 0.13 works fine for the warp drive and power plants - tested with "Working Multiple Star Systems" and a fair few other mods. Didn't test tweakscale with it though, or do anything other than launch to 80km, power up, warp to a different star, and use a plasma thruster to try circularizing. (42K D/V!)

Currently going through career mode and I have only just unlocked reactors, so I haven't had a chance to try this properly yet, though the parts all appear properly in the VAB list once researched (using Techmanager 1.5, removed TreeLoader packaged with KSPI).

Anyone know for sure what doesn't work in 0.90, or another reason to not use Interstellar 0.13 with KSP 0.90?

well I know that tweakscale works but if you try and launch a stock space plane forget it I am not sure if you can launch other things from the SPH haven't got that far yet just got through finding the one that was causing my spaceplanes to malfunction ....