[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

While it's fun to send the reactors up there, it isn't necessary. You don't get power loss for having the beamed power go thru the atmosphere. So I just put a couple of power stations on wheels and send them away from KSC. The put a relay network up in geostationary orbit. The reason for sending them away from KSC is that they have a ton of parts that I want greater than 2.5 km so it won't effect my load times. It also makes it easier to op check it or service it as I can drive or fly to it without having to worry about orbital rendezvous.

While it's fun to send the reactors up there, it isn't necessary. You don't get power loss for having the beamed power go thru the atmosphere. So I just put a couple of power stations on wheels and send them away from KSC. The put a relay network up in geostationary orbit. The reason for sending them away from KSC is that they have a ton of parts that I want greater than 2.5 km so it won't effect my load times. It also makes it easier to op check it or service it as I can drive or fly to it without having to worry about orbital rendezvous.

There beaming through atmo DOES result in power loss.

There beaming through atmo DOES result in power loss.

Still worthwhile even with losses just for the ease of maintenence, just add more reactors to compensate. I actually built some on minimus using EPL, with a satellite network relays to beam power wherever it was needed.

I have looked for it everywhere but i cannot find the 24.2 version by fractal. could someone please point me towards where i could download that specific version or upload the files if you have them. I have an old modded version of kerbal i would like interstellar to work with. it was build before fractal returned and created the official 24.2 version of interstellar. and thank you for creating this great mod, it brings me much joy :)

I have two questions:

1. How do I get the magnetic nozzles and plasma thrusters to function?

2. With the warp drive, I find that when I exit warp drive, my ship tends to be at a faster velocity than before. Orbiting Kerbin, my ship is at around 2000 mps. Exiting near a planet, my ship is at 10,000. Is this meant to be? I was under the impression that my ship would remain at the same velocity.

I have two questions:

1. How do I get the magnetic nozzles and plasma thrusters to function?

2. With the warp drive, I find that when I exit warp drive, my ship tends to be at a faster velocity than before. Orbiting Kerbin, my ship is at around 2000 mps. Exiting near a planet, my ship is at 10,000. Is this meant to be? I was under the impression that my ship would remain at the same velocity.

There was some discussion of the magnetic nozzles earlier in the thread. Plasma thrusters are easier and just need megajoules.

The warp drive is probably working fine. The orbit velocity is relative to the SOI you're in, but I believe the warp drive conserves your momentum in the SOI of the sun. So any velocity difference between your two SOIs when you go from, say, Kerbin to Duna or Jool are added together. You can check this by coming out of warp just outside the Kerbin SOI, check velocity. Zip close to whatever planet is giving you trouble, confirm your velocity is the same. Then enter the new SOI and see what's changed.

If I remember right, your vessel's velocity relative to Kerbol on warp drive initiation is restored on exiting warp. I actually did 2 aerobrakes at Jool(DRE makes this a fun experience) before heading on my way out to the 550 au mark for the telescope gravity lens experiment. That was just so I wouldn't have to eat into my fuel reserves so much trying to slow down.

There never was a version for 24.2, Interstellar Light by P-Wave is the closest thing there is.

Changelog in the OP says Fractal released his own set of 0.12 releases late in the 0.24.2 era. It's a little confusing because the version numbers overlap with KSPILite version numbers, but there is a Fractal release for 0.24.2. Download links to old versions aren't easy to find, but I was able to find it at https://bitbucket.org/FractalUK/kspinstellar/downloads/KSPInterstellar-v0.12.2.zip .

There was some discussion of the magnetic nozzles earlier in the thread. Plasma thrusters are easier and just need megajoules.

The warp drive is probably working fine. The orbit velocity is relative to the SOI you're in, but I believe the warp drive conserves your momentum in the SOI of the sun. So any velocity difference between your two SOIs when you go from, say, Kerbin to Duna or Jool are added together. You can check this by coming out of warp just outside the Kerbin SOI, check velocity. Zip close to whatever planet is giving you trouble, confirm your velocity is the same. Then enter the new SOI and see what's changed.

I tried looking for the magnetic nozzles but gave up after 10 or so pages. As for plasma thrusters, I can get them to "work" but there is no thrust at all.

I tried looking for the magnetic nozzles but gave up after 10 or so pages. As for plasma thrusters, I can get them to "work" but there is no thrust at all.

They need WAAAAAY more power than the stock ion to make significant thrust. How much power do you have available? You can also get more thrust with xenon and the Attila engine.

They need WAAAAAY more power than the stock ion to make significant thrust. How much power do you have available? You can also get more thrust with xenon and the Attila engine.

I am using a generator which provides 80,000 megajoules. :blush: It's part of the mod I think.

As for magnetic nozzles, can someone please explain to me how to get them to function. I would think that a huge fission reactor and a huge generator should work with it, but it won't produce any thrust at all.

Edited by alexman142

Changelog in the OP says Fractal released his own set of 0.12 releases late in the 0.24.2 era. It's a little confusing because the version numbers overlap with KSPILite version numbers, but there is a Fractal release for 0.24.2. Download links to old versions aren't easy to find, but I was able to find it at https://bitbucket.org/FractalUK/kspinstellar/downloads/KSPInterstellar-v0.12.2.zip .

thank you very much, that just made my modded game complete :)

I am using a generator which provides 80,000 megajoules. :blush: It's part of the mod I think.

80,000 megajoules is the amount of energy stored, not the power provided by the reactor. do you know which reactor it is you're using and if you have the upgraded technologies and what generator you've paired with the reactor? If you have the toolbar installed, you can open up the power window and get the numbers. The actual amount of power you can produce will depend on the reactor, the generator and the amount of cooling you have available. once you have all that, the thrust will depend on that total power and the propellant with xenon giving the highest thrust.

Magnetic nozzles IMO aren't very usefull, you need a lot of power from charged particles, and the most powerful generators don't have very high ratios of charged particles. At best they could be used for relatively small crafts that you want to watch burn fuel for a long time. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Plasma thrusters are good, they use electricity, so any kind of power, and don't need to be connected directly to a thermal or power source. They work really well when you have a good microwave beamed power infrastructure, the vessel doesn't have to produce the power, it can receive it with a lightweight dish. The more power, the more thrust, up to the max power they can handle which is listed in the part specs in the VAB. You can use them as landers if you use one of the higher thrust(lower ISP) fuels, though mechjeb doesn't control them very well. I have a 60 ton or so lander, that is able to take off from Duna using Argon pretty easily with only about 6 gigs of beamed power available. You will see much much higher trust output if you have a lot more power than that, like 25 to 75 gigs.

Thermal rocket nozzles are really great too - using microwave power. I use a big fat one right in the middle of most of my launches(I have problems equalizing the power input when using more than 1 at the same time), that same engine powers the trans stage to take the vessel to different planets.

Edited by Jarardo1

i just download 0.13 interstellar on my 0.25 KSP,but when mousing over interstellar parts in the editor (VAB/SPH), they zoom to infinite size before disappearing, anyone know why i have this issue?

i just download 0.13 interstellar on my 0.25 KSP,but when mousing over interstellar parts in the editor (VAB/SPH), they zoom to infinite size before disappearing, anyone know why i have this issue?

The zooming-parts bug is a good indication that the Interstellar plugin isn't loading. To troubleshoot this, I'd like to see a screenshot of the contents of your GameData folder and a Unity log. For location of the Unity log, see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29.

Anyone knows where i can see a tutorial of all the engines and fuel stuff ?

Im super lost with all the antimatter stuff. cant make any engine work. T_T

Here are some video tutorials from wavefunctionp. Otherwise, watch some of scott Stanley's video series.

http://m.youtube.com/#/playlist?list=PLGz3UzkWQ9e3eC_Q8cXNbgd7LvDExSbJf

quick and dirty antimatter tutorial:

1. 1.25m cockpit

2. 1.25m antimatter tank

3. 1.25m electric generator

4. 1.25m antimatter reactor

5. 1.25m thermal turbojet

6. add some radial air intakes like the stock structural intake, around the body of the ship. point the openings upward.

7. add some heat radiators around the body of the ship. Even if the VAB thermal helper is still red, that's fine, you're not going to be running that reactor at full output for very long, if at all.

Add chutes and RCS as needed. put those parts in order top down. Now right click the antimatter tank. put antimatter in. Look at launch cost. Weep. (do this in sandbox).

Assign one of your custom hot keys to "toggle propellant" on the thermal turbojet.

Launch it.

When you get to 14000-25000m depending on your velocity you'll notice the atmospheric thrust isn't.. really thrusting much anymore. push your toggle propellant hotkey twice to kick it into LFO mode.

You should have quite a bit of dV left over if you haven't ripped the ship apart accelerating through the atmosphere that fast. If you ripped the ship apart accelerating through the atmosphere that fast, reset to launch and use less throttle :)

No bug here. Antimatter rates seem to be based of a 24 hour day.

Anyone done much large scale antimatter collecting? The numbers I'm collecting in the tanks don't seem to match up with what the collectors say they can collect everyday. In Kerbin 750k orbit the collector piece says it can collect 3.76mg per day. With 84 collectors and 5 2.5m tanks, I'm only collecting about 80mg per day, should be getting 315.

Does it matter how many tanks and where they're placed?

Does it matter which direction the collectors are facing, and/or how they're attached to the tanks?

Anything else?

Edit: is it a solar 24 hour day? That would be about right.

Thanks!

m4zmre7.png

Edited by Jarardo1