[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I'm afraid, on the short term you going to need another sollution for that because Interstellar only handles WasteHeat resource, not the Stock Heat. One the otherhand it might be an idea for the future, to somehow affect each other. KSP heat could theoreticly be converted into Wasteheat which would then be radiator into space with any kspi radiator.

Erm, yes, that would make sense, wouldn't it. Hah. Welp, at least, in theory, KSP-I is a bit ahead of the curve vis a vis heat management. I have no doubt that KSP-I will, at some point, have a mechanism to vent that heat out with, say, that produced from the fusion reactors. It just makes sense - I can see the lol's at having a perfectly cooled rocket nuclear thermal rocket craft explode because the secondary NERVA's melted down...

In the mean time, I guess I'll have to ignore NERVA's, or settle for ridiculous part counts. Still, it's a welcome mechanism (overall) for KSP 1.0, and just needs a little lovin'.

So I know one or two of you have your own versions of KSPI you're working on for 1.0...

Now that 1.0 has things like drilles, ISRUs, etc... are you guys trimming down and simplifying your versions of KSPI? Are we using the VERY nerfed versions of the AM reactors / thermal engines that we had in KSPI 0.13? What's up?

~Steve

Mod is dead...

It's a bit of a tortured history... The original author is MIA at the moment, busy with real life... wavefunctionP performed his own port to 0.24 before taking it in his own direction with Intestellar Lite. Fractal came back with an update for 0.25 but was unable to iron out all the bugs before going MIA again. Another member, Boris, performed a port/bug fix to KSP version 0.90 which worked quite well before he, too, was forced to bow out. It has now been taken on by someone else who has put in a lot of effort to get it up and running in 1.0 but he has taken it in his own direction, aiming for ultra-realism as opposed to the beautiful game balance which Fractak_UK was able to achieve in his time. If you're looking for the Interstellar which features in Scott Manley's videos, then the closest you will get is with Boris' 0.90 port. Or do it the way Scott did, with KSP 0.23 and Fractal's version (KSPI 0.11 for 0.23 from memory). Interstellar is THE mod for KSP... If you're prepared to compromise on game version you can find the one that's right for you.

It's a bit of a tortured history... The original author is MIA at the moment, busy with real life... wavefunctionP performed his own port to 0.24 before taking it in his own direction with Intestellar Lite. Fractal came back with an update for 0.25 but was unable to iron out all the bugs before going MIA again. Another member, Boris, performed a port/bug fix to KSP version 0.90 which worked quite well before he, too, was forced to bow out. It has now been taken on by someone else who has put in a lot of effort to get it up and running in 1.0 but he has taken it in his own direction, aiming for ultra-realism as opposed to the beautiful game balance which Fractak_UK was able to achieve in his time. If you're looking for the Interstellar which features in Scott Manley's videos, then the closest you will get is with Boris' 0.90 port. Or do it the way Scott did, with KSP 0.23 and Fractal's version (KSPI 0.11 for 0.23 from memory). Interstellar is THE mod for KSP... If you're prepared to compromise on game version you can find the one that's right for you.

Yeah. You right. I remember, old versions of this mod. Thas was be great! But now... I know of KSPI Exetended, but I not feel seft full pleasure.

That's a perfect sum-up. KSPI-E is a great mod and the developer is making great strides towards getting it all working in 1.0.2, but the direction he's taking it is... less than ideal. KSP has this really unique balance of realism and comic mischief that makes it fun; mods like TAC-LS and KSPI-E try to make it too serious, and that ruins the fun for me. :( My biggest complaint about KSPI-E is its dependence on Community Tech Tree, the monster tech tree abomination that takes 5 months of real gameplay to unlock anything meaningful. I have a career save right now that had a bunch of cool stuff unlocked; I had a OKS station in orbit of Kerbin and was about to launch a UKS base to Mun/Minmus, and I installed KSPI-E to add more spice, and suddenly 75% of the parts I'd already unlocked were locked again and wouldn't be unlocked for another 500-1000 science. Screw that nonsense. No offense to the Dev of course, that's just my personal opinion.

I feel the same way about Tweakscale, another required dependency in the current version :) It's one of those love-it-or-hate-it mods, and I don't love it :) Some KSP-I parts are not MEANT to be scaled, and Fractal himself steered clear of it for this exact reason. To be fair, Community Tech Tree did provide a neat and integrated solution to the ongoing problem of the KSP-I tech tree, but now that tech trees are contained in config files it's not strictly required. There is a growing demand for a port of "stock" KSP Interstellar, so we can all have a go at emulating Scott Manley in the 1.0 release. Unfortunately I'm not a coder or even a config editor so unfortunately my only hope is for someone else with the necessary skills to step up to the plate, the way Boris did for 0.90

Hi. I made some screenshots to show you the main differences between the two versions.

1. Original

2. KSPIE

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And if you want to say that the parts can be reduced, and adjust the size using tweakscale, it does not fix the problem of a lack of pieces interesting parts of which are in the original. Although, the fact that there KSPIE all these parts, but they do not match.

Edited by RomanCat

There is someone working on a KSP 1.0 release of the Classic Interstellar by Fractal... Just be patient...

Nice, nice, we need a better interstellar, the classic is the best, its not the new version is bad but I don't like it too.

Im a coder but not that good and the mod is really big, and way to busy to grab that (RL busy), and most of the people have that problem, so its great that some one grab that mod and advance it.

cant wait to try that :D:D:D:D:D

First goal is make it run again

Second it getting it to play nice with all the changes ;)

While I made it run and play with other mods still need to rework some stuff

First I need to increase storage sizes,

making the density of some fuels up to 400 times lower only made interstellar engines consume 400 times as much.

While the tanks also weigh around 400 times lighter (wet) this breaks the balance we had.

So we need to look into other mods like firespitter to help out with stuff like that.

First goal is make it run again

Second it getting it to play nice with all the changes ;)

While I made it run and play with other mods still need to rework some stuff

First I need to increase storage sizes,

making the density of some fuels up to 400 times lower only made interstellar engines consume 400 times as much.

While the tanks also weigh around 400 times lighter (wet) this breaks the balance we had.

So we need to look into other mods like firespitter to help out with stuff like that.

It is my understanding that if you are going to use CRP, you need to use the resource defintions that are included, otherwise you are going to break other people's stuff. That was kinda the whole point behind CRP.

The proper way to fix the issue is to change the resource consumption in the plugin code. You don't need firespitter when you have code readily available.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Agree with what Wave just said... don't patch CRP. The entire point is that stuff is compatible and does not change between mods. And messing with densities is going to break lots of stuff that depends on it.

And honestly, a lot of the code and parts aren't needed with the way that stock works now.

I would update it, but the changes that would be needed for a proper release would be extensive. And really, we are mostly talking about just making that game easy again. That would be the primary draw left to a vanilla KSPI. The extended version is more realistic, so that those peeps have that, the resource people now have even stock options along with all the other cool resource mods. So the only other major draw is really the OP parts pack draw and maybe the power network (which is still in the OP category IMO).

Atleast, that was the conclusion I came to regarding KSPILite when deciding whether to update or not.

As a word of caution, the more dependencies you add, the more of a headache is it going to be to support.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

And honestly, a lot of the code and parts aren't needed with the way that stock works now.

I would update it, but the changes that would be needed for a proper release would be extensive. And really, we are mostly talking about just making that game easy again. That would be the primary draw left to a vanilla KSPI. The extended version is more realistic, so that those peeps have that, the resource people now have even stock options along with all the other cool resource mods. So the only other major draw is really the OP parts pack draw and maybe the power network (which is still in the OP category IMO).

Atleast, that was the conclusion I came to regarding KSPILite when deciding whether to update or not.

As a word of caution, the more dependencies you add, the more of a headache is it going to be to support.

That's sort of the point behind technologies like this; if Antimatter were ever harnessed as a proper energy source, the ramifications would be astounding; so many things beyond present reach would be suddenly feasible, and challenges of yesterday would seem so very trivial. Take for example current generation aviation versus 1903; in less than 100 years, we went from looking at the sky as a dream to landing on the moon and planting flags. Now, flight is considered considerably more trivial, with children's toys having better flight capability than the flying machine the Wright brothers developed back in 1903. KSP-I is along those same lines; this is distant future tech we're talking about, and that's why it's positioned so end-game; it's supposed to change everything, and it's designed to be used in career mode, where it's expensive and takes a while to unlock.

The problem I have with CRP are for example a small argontest I did:

CRP 3.2 vs 4.2

Argon Density 0.00005 0.00000178400

Argon Consumption 14.64 410.35

Fuel Flow 0.00073U 0.00073U

Basically It made the tank 28 times lighter, made the fuel burn 28 times faster

But it didn't increase the tank size 28 times bigger to compensate....

Also funfact CRP mixes densities at 0c and 20c,

and then adds compressed and cooled liquefied gasses on their normal densities on either temperature too.

As long as CRP is unstable I rather have something like this tank can hold 3ton fuel, instead of 108.000 litres.

Edited by Neouni

CRP is not unstable. What you saw was a pretty massive conversion in anticipation of 1.0 breaking everything - also the conversion of everything from 5L units to 1L units, integration with RealFuels, etc. 1.0 was chosen as the time to do this for pretty obvious reasons ;)

There are pretty sound reasons for all of the bits you see there (there were interesting times sorting this). So at this point it's just the odd addition here or there, or minor correction that slipped through QA. And yes, there is a reason for the density mix (talk to the RealFuels guys about that).

Probably the one bit you will see change is that resources will likely get HSP at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

So, for a reboot, you have three choices.

1. Use CRP, and convert all tanks, engines, etc. to the adjusted units and resources (i.e. we all share the same nuclear fuels now).

2. Use resources that do not conflict with CRP and do whatever you'd like with them, but maintain compatibility with CRP-based mods.

3. Do whatever you want with the same (legacy) resource names (at which point you should not bundle CRP because there will be horrible conflicts) and have KSPI be a stand-alone mod incompatible with CRP mods.

All of these are valid choices.