[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Ozy said:
I feel the same way about Tweakscale, another required dependency in the current version :) It's one of those love-it-or-hate-it mods, and I don't love it :) Some KSP-I parts are not MEANT to be scaled, and Fractal himself steered clear of it for this exact reason. To be fair, Community Tech Tree did provide a neat and integrated solution to the ongoing problem of the KSP-I tech tree, but now that tech trees are contained in config files it's not strictly required. There is a growing demand for a port of "stock" KSP Interstellar, so we can all have a go at emulating Scott Manley in the 1.0 release. Unfortunately I'm not a coder or even a config editor so unfortunately my only hope is for someone else with the necessary skills to step up to the plate, the way Boris did for 0.90

Well you don't need to to be a coder, I made KSPI-E as open for modding as possible (that was the whole point in the first place). Technically, using ModuleManage and some detailed knowlegde, you could create a modification that is 99% close to KSPI Classic.

- - - Updated - - -

WaveFunctionP said:
And honestly, a lot of the code and parts aren't needed with the way that stock works now.

Specifically which parts/code do you think aren't needed anymore?

- - - Updated - - -

Dreadp1r4te said:
My biggest complaint about KSPI-E is its dependence on Community Tech Tree, the monster tech tree abomination that takes 5 months of real gameplay to unlock anything meaningful.

KSPI-E no longer has a hard dependency on CTT. it defines a subset of CTT which is overridden if the full Community Tech Tree is installed

- - - Updated - - -

Ozy said:
I feel the same way about Tweakscale, another required dependency in the current version :) It's one of those love-it-or-hate-it mods, and I don't love it

The main reason KSPI-E uses Tweakscale is because it saves me time. Technically, KSPI can work without Tweakscale, it would just require a lot op copy pasting and recalcualtions which is now done autoamticly by tweakscale. Preferable these part would become available if Tweakscale is not installed, which can be implemented by a simple MM script

- - - Updated - - -

Ozy said:
It's a bit of a tortured history... The original author is MIA at the moment, busy with real life... wavefunctionP performed his own port to 0.24 before taking it in his own direction with Intestellar Lite. Fractal came back with an update for 0.25 but was unable to iron out all the bugs before going MIA again. Another member, Boris, performed a port/bug fix to KSP version 0.90 which worked quite well before he, too, was forced to bow out. It has now been taken on by someone else who has put in a lot of effort to get it up and running in 1.0 but he has taken it in his own direction, aiming for ultra-realism

Ultra realism is not my goal, I allow a quite a lot of hand waving. Realism it's a my tool to balance the game in a natural way. If that means, it becomes more Hard Science Fiction, than that's a good thing I think.

Edited by FreeThinker

KSPI-E no longer has a hard dependency on CTT. it defines a subset of CTT which is overridden if the full Community Tech Tree is installed

Yep, I was the one who suggested removing it in your other thread. :D I posted that comment about CTT dependency before you removed it, so that comment stands redacted. :P

Yep, I was the one who suggested removing it in your other thread. :D I posted that comment about CTT dependency before you removed it, so that comment stands redacted. :P

Yes, if the mountain doesn't want to move to Moses, Moses has to move up the mountain ;)

Yes, if the mountain doesn't want to move to Moses, Moses has to move up the mountain ;)

I actually think this phrase is supposed to be the exact opposite ; if Moses doesn't go to the mountain, the mountain goes to Moses.

I actually think this phrase is supposed to be the exact opposite ; if Moses doesn't go to the mountain, the mountain goes to Moses.

/pedantry-mode-on The actual quote is: "If the mountain won't come to Muhammad then Muhammad must go to the mountain." (Sir Francis Bacon)

... meaning If one cannot get one's own way, one must bow to the inevitable.

• 4 weeks later...
/pedantry-mode-on The actual quote is: "If the mountain won't come to Muhammad then Muhammad must go to the mountain." (Sir Francis Bacon)

... meaning If one cannot get one's own way, one must bow to the inevitable.

Oh, I see... I was interpreting it more than no matter what one does, the inevitable will happen anyways, so he might as well go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I will have to uninstall this mod. I can't click on any buttons for several parts because there a stupidly huge wall of 'rad hardess: x' displays. I hope this will eventually be able to be disabled.

You have outdated version, cookie.

Heres newest one: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111159-WIP-0-90-KSP-Interstellar-Extended

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I installed this mod on my 0.23 KSP file, and I made sure that the mod was the appropriate version for the game version. However I have 2 issues:

The most important one is that the ATTILA thruster, Thermal rocket/turbojet, and Plasma Thrusters are constantly showing the exhaust effect when they are off, and there is a sideways exhaust, like this:

RTeZxAZ.png

Then, any craft that has more than a few solar panels lags severly. I have tested this to make sure, and this lag is entirely dependent on the number of solar panels. For example, I have a 200 part ship with no solar panels and it runs perfectly fine, and another one with solar panels runs at around 15fps. Even a 300 part ship with no panels runs better than a 200 part ship with panels. The more panels there are, the more it lags.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I installed this mod on my 0.23 KSP file, and I made sure that the mod was the appropriate version for the game version. However I have 2 issues:

The most important one is that the ATTILA thruster, Thermal rocket/turbojet, and Plasma Thrusters are constantly showing the exhaust effect when they are off, and there is a sideways exhaust, like this:

http://i.imgur.com/RTeZxAZ.png

Then, any craft that has more than a few solar panels lags severly. I have tested this to make sure, and this lag is entirely dependent on the number of solar panels. For example, I have a 200 part ship with no solar panels and it runs perfectly fine, and another one with solar panels runs at around 15fps. Even a 300 part ship with no panels runs better than a 200 part ship with panels. The more panels there are, the more it lags.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

This is what happens, when you use outdated version.

Latest version is in link on my post above.

Isn't that the version for KSP 1.0.4? I'm trying to install the mod in my old 0.23 save, would anyone know where I could find the mod for the 0.23 version?

https://bitbucket.org/FractalUK/kspinstellar/downloads/

from changelog: "Version 0.12.0 -KSP 0.24.2 Compatibility..." so you might have to search//download several earlier versions and see which one works for you

...though this is some serious necromancy right here, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work at all

https://bitbucket.org/FractalUK/kspinstellar/downloads/

from changelog: "Version 0.12.0 -KSP 0.24.2 Compatibility..." so you might have to search//download several earlier versions and see which one works for you

...though this is some serious necromancy right here, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work at all

I think I used 0.10.3 on KSP 0.23 and 0.11 on KSP 0.23.5 through 0.24.1.

I've been having an issue with microwave power, I don't seem to noticed diminishing power with increased distance or smaller receivers. I only notice change in received power when I change angle. While this is a handy problem, I feel like the realism aspect is not there.

I discovered this problem while I was trying to back out the equation for received power based on distance and receiver/transmitter area ratio.

Maybe this isn't yet implimented in the mod, but reading the interstellar wiki it seem like it should be.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to your feedback.

P.S. I generated Attila ISP numbers for various fuel types. The wiki seems outdated and incorrect. My results are posted below if anyone is interested.

[table=width: 500, class: grid, align: left]

[tr]

[td]Propellant[/td]

[td]Thrust[/td]

[td]ISP[/td]

[td]MW[/td]

[td]ISP*Thrust[/td]

[td]Thrust / MW[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Hydrazine[/td]

[td]235[/td]

[td]2056[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]483160[/td]

[td]0.142[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Hydrogen per Oxide[/td]

[td]242[/td]

[td]1992[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]482064[/td]

[td]0.146[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Liquid Amonia[/td]

[td]256[/td]

[td]1746[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]446976[/td]

[td]0.155[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Mono Propellant[/td]

[td]228[/td]

[td]1878[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]428184[/td]

[td]0.138[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Liquid Fuel[/td]

[td]412[/td]

[td]770[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]317240[/td]

[td]0.249[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Liquid CO[/td]

[td]231[/td]

[td]1279[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]295449[/td]

[td]0.140[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Water[/td]

[td]210[/td]

[td]1298[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]272580[/td]

[td]0.127[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Liquid CO2[/td]

[td]375[/td]

[td]615[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]230625[/td]

[td]0.227[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Liquid Nitrogen[/td]

[td]282[/td]

[td]766[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]216012[/td]

[td]0.171[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Argon Gas[/td]

[td]343[/td]

[td]620[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]212660[/td]

[td]0.208[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Xenon Gas[/td]

[td]566[/td]

[td]348[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]196968[/td]

[td]0.342[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Liquid Hydrogen[/td]

[td]73[/td]

[td]2583[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]188559[/td]

[td]0.044[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Neon Gas[/td]

[td]153[/td]

[td]1215[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]185895[/td]

[td]0.093[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Krypton Gas[/td]

[td]253[/td]

[td]654[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]165462[/td]

[td]0.153[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Oxidizer[/td]

[td]249[/td]

[td]554[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]137946[/td]

[td]0.151[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Liquid Oxygen[/td]

[td]198[/td]

[td]687[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]136026[/td]

[td]0.120[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Liquid Methane[/td]

[td]137[/td]

[td]957[/td]

[td]1653[/td]

[td]131109[/td]

[td]0.083[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having trouble with the warp drives, not sure where else to ask this. Whenever I drop my lower stage, my exotic matter capacity drops down to the minimum required for starting the warp, only allowing me to warp for a second before shutting down. What am I doing wrong and how to I store up enough exotic matter to travel long distance? Power generation is not an issue, I have several power plants in orbit around my AO... my apologies if this is not the right place to post this!

3 hours ago, badwolf88 said:

I'm having trouble with the warp drives, not sure where else to ask this. Whenever I drop my lower stage, my exotic matter capacity drops down to the minimum required for starting the warp, only allowing me to warp for a second before shutting down. What am I doing wrong and how to I store up enough exotic matter to travel long distance? Power generation is not an issue, I have several power plants in orbit around my AO... my apologies if this is not the right place to post this!

It depends... This is the thread for Fractals original Interstellar. Last supported KSP version was 0.25. Boris also did a port to 0.90 (Interstellar Port Maintenance Thread) which is discussed there. That was the last version which plays the same way as the Interstellar you see in the Scott Manley videos. The one in use for KSP 1.05 is a variant developed by Freethinker (Interstellar Extended) and has diverged considerably from Fractals original vision. It also has its own discussion thread. If you are mixing and matching versions, you are going to have trouble :) Make sure your version of Interstellar is for your installed version of KSP, as a first point.

7 hours ago, Ozy said:

It depends... This is the thread for Fractals original Interstellar. Last supported KSP version was 0.25. Boris also did a port to 0.90 (Interstellar Port Maintenance Thread) which is discussed there. That was the last version which plays the same way as the Interstellar you see in the Scott Manley videos. The one in use for KSP 1.05 is a variant developed by Freethinker (Interstellar Extended) and has diverged considerably from Fractals original vision. It also has its own discussion thread. If you are mixing and matching versions, you are going to have trouble :) Make sure your version of Interstellar is for your installed version of KSP, as a first point.

Thanks. I did not realize that. I'll double check my mods. I'm pretty sure I have Interstellar Extended now that I think about it.