[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Having me redo the file. Which I don't see a point to.

Someone asked nicely if you could spend a few seconds to re-encode a small compressed file as they don't have the program to open the format you posted, and you have actually spent longer arguing about it than it would have taken to actually do...

Remember, not every one has windows here.

Actually, I think in some cases they do. I think in cases where you are far enough away that you are starting to get distance losses, the second receiver is capable of "picking up the slack", so to speak, letting you get full power from further distances.

DISCLAIMER: I have not actually tested this. I was diving through the source code earlier and I'm simply speculating that this is what will happen.

Normally, yes. That's how most NTR propulsion works. However, there have been real-life proposals to use LOX-augmented NTRs to have significantly greater thrust at an expense of lower ISP. The theory is to take oxidizer and pump it into the nozzle just after the reactor where it combusts with the super-heated fuel, similar to how an afterburner works. A lot of papers on the subject are behind paywalls, but I found an abstract for one paper that claimed a 440% thrust output with a 45% ISP compared to standard NTRs, very similar to the performance of LFO mode in KSPI thermal rockets.

Well i understood the concept, but for some reason game (engineer redux) shows it opposite.

First i drained tank from oxidiser in vab (it woudl be dead weight and reduxe delta v) and set nozzle to Liquid consumption.

P24WB8K.jpg

Than full tank of liquid and ox and nozzle set to LOX

jP2ZL9o.jpg

In first case nozzle shows roughly twice as ISP in comparision to second, but delta v is lesser by 500 m/s for some reason. Is it somehow related to fact that tested it in atmosphere?

Well i dont expect to have 2x more delta v with pure liquid because i have x2 isp but also i dont carry oxidiser so overally i have roughly 1/2 of propellants, so difference shoudl probably be about this 500 m/s. But i thought i woudl have MORE 500 m/s when using pure liquid, not less 500 m/s

Edited by kiwiak

In first case nozzle shows nearly twice as ISP in comparision to second, but delta v is lesser by 500 m/s for some reason. Is it somehow related to fact that tested it in atmosphere?

Well i dont expect to have 2x more delta v with pure liquid because i have x2 isp but also i dont carry oxidiser so overally i have 1/2 of propellants, so difference shoudl probably be about this 500 m/s. But i thought i woudl have MORE 500 m/s when using pure liquid, not less 500 m/s

You have to take the change in mass ratio into account, in the first case a larger prorportion of your overall spacecraft mass is fuel: You need to compare a ship with LiquidFuel of 2126 and Oxidiser of 2640 with a ship with Liquid Fuel 4765. Then you'll get a meaningful comparison and indeed delta-v will be higher with pure LiquidFuel.

You have to take the change in mass ratio into account, in the first case a larger prorportion of your overall spacecraft mass is fuel: You need to compare a ship with LiquidFuel of 2126 and Oxidiser of 2640 with a ship with Liquid Fuel 4765. Then you'll get a meaningful comparison and indeed delta-v will be higher with pure LiquidFuel.

Wasnt case with larger proportion of fuel was second one with example i posted (using lox mode) - second one?

Hi, I've been using this mod for a while now and it is stunning! Just a quick question: how does the radiation mechanic work? I've successfully launched a reactor into space, but my kerbonauts seem to be a little irradiated...

Is this a problem, and if so, is there anything I can do about it? The current reading is 27 uSv/hr.

Thanks in advance,

Oh, if this was explained somewhere else, a link would be hugely appreciated :)

Hi, I've been using this mod for a while now and it is stunning! Just a quick question: how does the radiation mechanic work? I've successfully launched a reactor into space, but my kerbonauts seem to be a little irradiated...

Is this a problem, and if so, is there anything I can do about it? The current reading is 27 uSv/hr.

Thanks in advance,

Oh, if this was explained somewhere else, a link would be hugely appreciated :)

It's just there for now. It doesn't actually affect anything yet.

I didn't made anything for almost 3 months and realy glad someone is helping to Fractal with models for his exelent mod(I was hoping for this). I really proud I was part of it somehow,(and some shame from all mod users forced to use some of my models) but I can't make it regular.

So many explanations for such useless thing but I just want to share it with other KSPI players because I have it, but I feel like I can't just put it there silently and don't want to somehow interrupt

It's not realy related but, I made it because currently(finally) play in KSPI, for my own use for duna ship I currently making. I know about spherical tanks, and even have it, but it not completely what I need.

Radial things is not very useful in KSP, but anyway. It's not very trim(?). It didn't have normal maps but if you want it for something small - better to reduce texture size (1024 currently)

There several cfg with different scales(I currently use smallest, I little overestimate my needs) and content(LF/LFO) in archive, all looks the same, but this what I did for myself. You know how to edit configs, scale and resources. Better to put some struts on it.

e6EGi5L.jpg

http://www./download/4i...4f3z/sphere.7z

I really enjoy this mod (and waiting for forthcoming update). I even force myself to not use lv-n at all (even while I not far in career) because it feels cheap and bland in comparsion.

And for even more self adversing(Can I?), there some video of my munar survey ship [cut]

http://youtu.be/BD6FjBpIeO8

Edited by zzz

I didn't made anything for almost 3 months and realy glad someone is helping to Fractal with models for his exelent mod(I was hoping for this). I really proud I was part of it somehow,(and some shame from all mod users forced to use some of my models) but I can't make it regular.

So many explanations for such useless thing but I just want to share it with other KSPI players because I have it, but I feel like I can't just put it there silently and don't want to somehow interrupt

It's not realy related but, I made it because currently(finally) play in KSPI, for my own use for duna ship I currently making. I know about spherical tanks, and even have it, but it not completely what I need.

Radial things is not very useful in KSP, but anyway. It's not very trim(?). It didn't have normal maps but if you want it for something small - better to reduce texture size (1024 currently)

There several cfg with different scales(I currently use smallest, I little overestimate my needs) and content(LF/LFO) in archive all looks the same, but this what I did for myself. You know how to edit configs, scale and resources. Better to put some struts on it.

http://i.imgur.com/e6EGi5L.jpg

http://www./download/4i...4f3z/sphere.7z

I really enjoy this mod (and waiting for forthcoming update). I even force myself to not use lv-n at all (even while I not far in career) because it feels cheap and bland in comparsion.

And for even more self adversing(Can I?), there some video of my munar survey ship [cut]

[/cut

Oooh you are a KSP Modeling Godsend man. I'm tempted to learn how to model/texture (how long did it take to learn?) and just produce several models for open use with a base texture that can be modified so that two mods could use the same model but you'd know by looking who's mod a part came from.

Oh, I thought I didn't send it, maybe I pressed something wrong while edit, I decided it's all too silly and change my mind. I already put it in this "hab" thread anyway. Well ok then.

Oh, and thanks, but good looking thing and good part is not allways the same, looks like I have some success in first one(?) but rarely good in second.

Edited by zzz

-snip-

zzz you are a god among texture artists. Any chance you'd consider making 2 skins for Talisar and his spherical and toroidal tanks? 1 for each?! Wonder what you'd charge... or even if he'd accept. Hell, I'd pitch in.

~Steve

Edited by NeoAcario

Consider letting this be added to the Toolbar mod?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60863

It would be convenient to move the electrical tab to the toolbar to help remove clutter.

It's on my list of things to do, but it will probably be a unique update for that purpose in 0.10.1 or something. It's a moderate amount of work since I'll need to create another .dll that interacts with the toolbar but doesn't stop Interstellar itself being loaded if there is no toolbar installed. I don't want to add that amount of work to 0.10 because it's taking long enough as it is and I want to try and get this update out soon.

It doesn't pose any danger, it's purely a mechanic that is there for interest purposes, for now. I've added a lot more depth to it for the coming update, you'll have a radiation dose over the surface of all planets in the system, a second Van Allen belt and cosmic rays won't just stop as they hit the atmosphere but it still won't pose an actual danger yet.

It doesn't pose any danger, it's purely a mechanic that is there for interest purposes, for now. I've added a lot more depth to it for the coming update, you'll have a radiation dose over the surface of all planets in the system, a second Van Allen belt and cosmic rays won't just stop as they hit the atmosphere but it still won't pose an actual danger yet.

Thanks for the information, looking forward to the update!

You already have a gas core reactor rocket - it's an upgraded fission reactor + thermal rocket.

The new propulsion technologies in 0.10 will be the Solar Sail and the Adjustable Throttle Inductively Afterburning Arcjet. There are one or two other things I'm looking at too.

Bussard ramjet is something I'm not sure actually works effectively, using CNO cycle fusion, the thrust/power is tiny, so small its questionable under what conditions it can actually overcome the drag force the collector produces. You might be able to get around this by seeding a prepared route with better fuel but by that point, I can't help but think that there are better ways. Such constraints don't lend themselves well to KSP in any case.

Basically there are other interstellar drives that are probably both more interesting and more useful.

Fractul_UK, you're making us sit on pins and needles...I'm pretty sure if you asked for testers, you'd have more then enough that are willing to go in and figure out anyway possible to break your mod...

That said, I'm just waiting...and waiting...why is Jeb touching the reactor again?! ****!

You already have a gas core reactor rocket - it's an upgraded fission reactor + thermal rocket.

The new propulsion technologies in 0.10 will be the Solar Sail and the Adjustable Throttle Inductively Afterburning Arcjet. There are one or two other things I'm looking at too.

Bussard ramjet is something I'm not sure actually works effectively, using CNO cycle fusion, the thrust/power is tiny, so small its questionable under what conditions it can actually overcome the drag force the collector produces. You might be able to get around this by seeding a prepared route with better fuel but by that point, I can't help but think that there are better ways. Such constraints don't lend themselves well to KSP in any case.

Basically there are other interstellar drives that are probably both more interesting and more useful.

Will we get some additional laser propulsion for these lasers?

Just like Venture Star from avatar was propelled while depating from earth and breaking on return trip.

Well i guess such ship woudl need some shield too, to avoid beeing fried by laser beam... this coudl really get complicated.

Isv.jpg

If we're getting something from the Venture Star, I want nuclear pulse propulsion. 800000 Isp? Yes sir where do I sign. It's also relatively low-tech.

Also having propellant magazines instead of propellant tanks is about the biggest one-word upgrade you can give to a part name in KSP.