[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I have. I'm getting the same problem with KW Rocketry's liquid engines, which would suggest a conflict, but it also occurs with each mod by itself. I don't know if that helps at all, but there you go.

I have both of those mods installed, and don't have the issue you're having.

Hey anyone know how to make the thermal turbojets powerful? I have some very large reactors on the ground and I want to use thermal power from it to power my jet, but putting on a 1.25m thermal receiver only gives me 10 thermal power (also i have fusion reactors)

Also they are un-upgraded fusion reactors

(someone updating the wiki guides would be nice)

Edited by Boamere

I'm having trouble collecting antimatter.

I have a station in a circular and equatorial orbit around Kerbin (900km).

It has 16 AM-collector parts.

With focus it averages about 64 units of AM per day.

Without focus it doesn't produce any AM.

I read this was a bug that in november last year.

But I'm under the impression this bug was squashed...

Did I miss something?

I also can't seem to have my space station produce antimatter from either the science labs or collectors or tritium from my thorium fission reactors unless I have it focused.

Hey anyone know how to make the thermal turbojets powerful? I have some very large reactors on the ground and I want to use thermal power from it to power my jet, but putting on a 1.25m thermal receiver only gives me 10 thermal power (also i have fusion reactors)

(someone updating the wiki guides would be nice)

What do you mean by powerful? If you have a 1.25m thermal receiver getting 4GW on the ground a plane will get 600+m/s by the time it hits the end of the runway in atmospheric mode. Note: I might not be able to get the plane above 20km but man can it zip around the kerbin without using fuel. Swap it with microwave receiver/plasma/liquid fuel and I have a 50k dV space plane...

My network is only using 3, 3.75m upgraded thorium reactors so I have 14.5GW anywhere near Kerbin and about 4.5GW at 500Mm near my Kerbol relay system. Essentially anything upto Deres has 2.5GW+.

I still think microwave transmission is crazy overpowered (but everyone seems to disagree)... I am just starting to work towards antimatter reactors.

What do you mean by powerful? If you have a 1.25m thermal receiver getting 4GW on the ground a plane will get 600+m/s by the time it hits the end of the runway in atmospheric mode. Note: I might not be able to get the plane above 20km but man can it zip around the kerbin without using fuel. Swap it with microwave receiver/plasma/liquid fuel and I have a 50k dV space plane...

My network is only using 3, 3.75m upgraded thorium reactors so I have 14.5GW anywhere near Kerbin and about 4.5GW at 500Mm near my Kerbol relay system. Essentially anything upto Deres has 2.5GW+.

I still think microwave transmission is crazy overpowered (but everyone seems to disagree)... I am just starting to work towards antimatter reactors.

Same here i have 15.6 GW but one thermal reciever gives me only gives me this much thrust

u5PtfhQ.png

Whereas if I switch to LFO I get urm ....this much thrust+ more

reXCmOg.png

xVZEXeT.png

The fuel goes so quick I have to had to have it on infinite fuel to show you

Edited by Boamere

Okay because of waste heat I pretty much have to do a complete restart of my comsat network. I might be able to retrofit my space station. but before I go through all that is there a way to size the damn radiators like I can size the battery requirements based on c/s? I seems the stat I need is not listed for things like solar panels and such. I do not feel like spending a day building and launching things bases on spit in the wind guesses!

Hi all, I downloaded the mod and installed all the files as per the instructions but when I sart up the game it freezes while trying to load the WarpPlugin/Parts/Engine/MethaneEngine/part/FNMethaneEngine before I ever get to the start menu. Does anyone know what could be the cause and a potential solution?

Okay because of waste heat I pretty much have to do a complete restart of my comsat network. I might be able to retrofit my space station. but before I go through all that is there a way to size the damn radiators like I can size the battery requirements based on c/s? I seems the stat I need is not listed for things like solar panels and such. I do not feel like spending a day building and launching things bases on spit in the wind guesses!

If you're just dealing with a couple 1x6 solar panels... a single Small Radial Radiator is plenty.

~Steve

Edit: 1 MW is 1,000 energy per second. A small radial radiator is rated at (base) 0.0125 MW. As I understand it, this means it won't even start to warm up with 6 of the 1x6 solar panels bringing in 12 energy per second. Keep in mind, as a radiator warms up, it becomes more efficient. Things don't start shutting down until you hit 95% max heat.

Edited by NeoAcario

Same here i have 15.6 GW but one thermal reciever gives me only gives me this much thrust

I'd say the limiting factor here is your air intake (IntakeAtm). The engine isn't very fuel-efficient - Isp only 148, so it takes a lot of air and only one intake isn't producing enough "fuel" to run on full power (the engine eats everything but it's not enough). Try spamming more intakes around the plane and I think it should get better.

more intakes = more air running through engine = more thrust (until you hit the ceiling where it has enough air but doesn't get enough energy)

I'd say the limiting factor here is your air intake (IntakeAtm). The engine isn't very fuel-efficient - Isp only 148, so it takes a lot of air and only one intake isn't producing enough "fuel" to run on full power (the engine eats everything but it's not enough). Try spamming more intakes around the plane and I think it should get better.

more intakes = more air running through engine = more thrust (until you hit the ceiling where it has enough air but doesn't get enough energy)

OK thanks!!

Hey. I think i am missing something essential here ....

I can't select any other fuel beside liquid, what is wrong with this assembly?

I don't see any fuel tank (unless it's playing hide-and-seek with me). Try putting some LFO tank there and you should be able to select between Liquid and LFO.

So I've figured out from extensive reading of this thread that I need to attach Intakes-Precooler-Reactor-Thermal Turbojet in that order for the pre-coolers to function. I've done that for my current design, but when I right-click on the precoolers in flight, it says "Precooler Status: Offline". What am I doing wrong? The wiki doesn't give any clear instructions.

I'm using the 1.25m Nuclear Reactors. The intake is the Atmospheric Scoop added by the mod. The Precoolers work properly when attached to Rapier engines. It doesn't make sense to me.

Hey. I think i am missing something essential here ....

I can't select any other fuel beside liquid, what is wrong with this assembly?

Um do you even have any fuel tanks on that thing? I see the hex cans but cant tell whats in them and I dont recall if any of the valid fuels for a thermal rocket go in those things. You may be confusing the nuclear fuel(in hexcans) as propelent, its not. The nuclear fuel is what keeps the reactor hot not what gets blasted out the back end of the rocket. If I had to guess liquid fuel mode is the default option if it cant find any valid fuels so it wont let you switch to a different type that isnt there. Valid options are Liquid LFO amonia, water, Methane.

Also that inline radiator wont be enough if you plan to go into orbit, you want the deployable ones. figure 4 huge radiators minimum for uranium fuel and 5-6 for thorium mode.

The intake is the Atmospheric Scoop added by the mod.

Scoops and Intakes are two different things. Atmospheric scoops take part of atmosphere (lets say Oxygen) and put it into your fuel tank (in this case refueling Oxidizer). You need to have Air intakes (Ram Intake or other types) to produce IntakeAir and IntakeAtm for the engine.

In other words, if it produces IntakeAir for vanilla turbojets, it can also produce IntakeAtm for the thermal engine/jet/whateveritiscalled. Atmospheric scoops won't help you.

(Please post pic of your plane for others to help if I'm misunderstanding something.)

So I've figured out from extensive reading of this thread that I need to attach Intakes-Precooler-Reactor-Thermal Turbojet in that order for the pre-coolers to function. I've done that for my current design, but when I right-click on the precoolers in flight, it says "Precooler Status: Offline". What am I doing wrong? The wiki doesn't give any clear instructions.

I'm using the 1.25m Nuclear Reactors. The intake is the Atmospheric Scoop added by the mod. The Precoolers work properly when attached to Rapier engines. It doesn't make sense to me.

You don't really need a precooler, unless you're gonna go very fast

Scoops and Intakes are two different things. Atmospheric scoops take part of atmosphere (lets say Oxygen) and put it into your fuel tank (in this case refueling Oxidizer). You need to have Air intakes (Ram Intake or other types) to produce IntakeAir and IntakeAtm for the engine.

In other words, if it produces IntakeAir for vanilla turbojets, it can also produce IntakeAtm for the thermal engine/jet/whateveritiscalled. Atmospheric scoops won't help you.

(Please post pic of your plane for others to help if I'm misunderstanding something.)

Yes they are two different things. But the Scoops DO work. The Jet flies. Remember, I'm not saying that the engine doesn't WORK, it does. I'm saying that the Intercooler doesn't work. Unless the Intercooler only works with Intakes, which is possible... But I would like some kind of definitive answer if possible.

Edited by mdapol

You don't really need a precooler, unless you're gonna go very fast

Yes, and since I am, I am using an Intercooler. Did you need me to state the intent of the craft in order to debug the problem? I'm sorry I didn't realize that was necessary.

Yes, and since I am, I am using an Intercooler. Did you need me to state the intent of the craft in order to debug the problem? I'm sorry I didn't realize that was necessary.

Does your engine overheat and explode at high altitude/speed, if so then its not working. Otherwise it may just be a bug.

There's a guide on the wiki that shows you how to figure that out: https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Waste-Heat-Management

It's more complicated than electricity because it's non-linear.

Have fun!

There's a guide on the wiki that shows you how to figure that out: https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Waste-Heat-Management

It's more complicated than electricity because it's non-linear.

Have fun!

Technically he doesn't have to change his network since wasteheat isn't generated if the vessel isn't loaded. For my sats I have 4 1x6 solar panels and 4 small radial radiators are enough for it.

Whereas if I switch to LFO I get urm ....this much thrust+ more

The fuel goes so quick I have to had to have it on infinite fuel to show you

Well as someone else already pointed out using more intakes, I was using 3 intakes (2 radial & 1 ram) to get about 700kN of thrust on the runway. I was afraid the thing was going to rip itself apart before takeoff.

I would love for there to be a way to limit the amount of power being used by engines so I don't get insane thrusts on "high"-powered networks. Or at-least have some non-linear scaling of power i.e. 1GW = 850MW performance but 10GW = 6GW.

Honestly, I'm afraid for my little green kerbals being cooked by 14GW of microwaves directed at their vessel...

Does your engine overheat and explode at high altitude/speed, if so then its not working. Otherwise it may just be a bug.

Yes, the engines do start overheating above Mach 2.5. So they are not working. Try it yourself. I'd be interested in the result.