[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Ok so I got the impactor science to work. I was using a lander with a probe, landing it and then activating the seismometer. I would then switch vessels to the booster stage of the same rocket in orbit, and deorbit it and crash it. It also has a probe core. It seems to me the trick is to make sure the impactor is named as the "probe" and not the lander with the instruments. This can be done by renaming the lander's core before separation in orbit. Prior to this I had tried every combination of active vessel, not active vessel possible, no luck. Thanks for the quick advice everyone!

Hello guys, I just got this mod and have a few questions/queries;

1: what do you do/can you do with DepletedFuels from your reactors? the tiny amount that collects even when you process Actinides.

2 Why are the textures inside the sciencemodule so bad for me? I've watched tutorials and videos showing the IVA of the module and they don't look like mine at all. Has their been an update that has reduced the textures for some reason or what?http://i.imgur.com/a8k5LRi.jpg

Thanks for any answers.

1: what do you do/can you do with DepletedFuels from your reactors? the tiny amount that collects even when you process Actinides.

2 Why are the textures inside the sciencemodule so bad for me? I've watched tutorials and videos showing the IVA of the module and they don't look like mine at all. Has their been an update that has reduced the textures for some reason or what?http://i.imgur.com/a8k5LRi.jpg

Thanks for any answers.

1 its junk. consider it unuseable nuclear waste that you must find a good way of disposing of. Personaly I just use Tac fuel balancer's option to dump a resorce to get rid of it.

2 Are you useing the active memory managment mod? because that mod compresses textures to do what it does it can make some textures look like crap. Most textures look fine for me with it but theres a few such as the IVA nav ball that look blurry like the textures in your screen shot. Dont have time to load up interstellar right now to see if IVA in the science lab is another one that looks bad.

I'm having some trouble with the Deinonychus engine. Specifically it seems to produce off-center thrust, making it very hard indeed to control any rocket powered by them. This happens with the Gimbal setting set to either locked or free, doesn't seem to be making a difference. If anybody could offer some advice or insight that'd be much appreciated :)

Thanks for any answers.

For number 2 I am having the same issue as well, but it is because I use a texture compressor (although it looks really really bad, unlike other internal views)

I'm having some trouble with the Deinonychus engine. Specifically it seems to produce off-center thrust, making it very hard indeed to control any rocket powered by them. This happens with the Gimbal setting set to either locked or free, doesn't seem to be making a difference. If anybody could offer some advice or insight that'd be much appreciated :)

you sure its not something in your construction? I just did a small test craft of a probodobodyne OKTO on top of a methane tank and a Deinonychus and it prety much flew strait as an arrow. was only seeing maybe 10% on the yaw indicator from SAS stabalizing my flight path which is not much considering the probodyne only has like .3 torque. I did have to fly it at half throttle because I overloaded the G tolerance when that tank got low but other than that I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe post a picture of your craft.

Also how do I gather water I'm floating on? Refinery just says it has no water.

I just lobed an ISRU and a nuke to power it into the ocean near KSP and told it to extract and it worked just fine. If your splashed down it should just work if your on kerbin. Not sure if eve or layth's oceans are water or something else as I havent actualy checked.

I just lobed an ISRU and a nuke to power it into the ocean near KSP and told it to extract and it worked just fine. If your splashed down it should just work if your on kerbin. Not sure if eve or layth's oceans are water or something else as I havent actualy checked.

Eve and Laythe have less water in their oceans than Kerbin but are still predominantly water.

An excellent mod, but would it be possible to disable the 'i' hotkey while typing text? It's a little bit annoying when it keeps flashing in and out when typing a description for the rocket.

I don't know if there is any way for me to distinguish that but I'll have a look.

I've noticed this too.

The "problem" with thermal rockets is that people test them on the launch pad and assume that they will function exactly the same in space but atmosphere affects a lot of things in Interstellar so testing on the launchpad often produces bad results - heat dissipation is a particularly good example of that. Using mechjeb or engineer or just looking up thrust values on the wiki is a better method of getting accurate readings on what the thermal rockets will actually do.

Mechjeb doesn't give any useable readings unless the engine is actually fired up.

True, Mechjeb and Engineer have a horrid time estimating thermal stages. If you are carrying a reactor they do the math properly. If you dont carry the reactor but just a thermal receiver then KER at least wont register any dV at all until you launch and actually toggle the receiver so that it knows how much power its gonna get. Same is true for a number of the interstellar part combinations in situations where they cant produce their own power and rely on your network infrastructure.

In general I find a launchpad test to be the best thing to do to estimate these. Just remember it's under-performing a bit.

My turn... I found that in my version of KSPI at least the atmospheric intake scoops for feeding thermal turbojets dont appear in the VAB/SPH as they are assigned category : 'none' in their part file. Am I not supposed to be using these then? I actually got several thermal jet spaceplanes into orbit before i realised my stock intakes were not producing intakeAtm. Making them aero category brought them into the game properly. I should be using these then right? My thermal turbojets are running on atmospheric mode.

Edited by celem

-I don't have TAC, but I'll look into getting it when I get my new graphics card and make a fresh game. I don't suppose there is a way to get rid of the depleted fuels with the base mod? surely there must be and I'm just not seeing it..

-No, I don't have any memory management mods, don't suppose anyone else knows what might be causing the crappy textures?

Also what does the water storage tank do?

True, Mechjeb and Engineer have a horrid time estimating thermal stages. If you are carrying a reactor they do the math properly. If you dont carry the reactor but just a thermal receiver then KER at least wont register any dV at all until you launch and actually toggle the receiver so that it knows how much power its gonna get. Same is true for a number of the interstellar part combinations in situations where they cant produce their own power and rely on your network infrastructure.

In general I find a launchpad test to be the best thing to do to estimate these. Just remember it's under-performing a bit.

My turn... I found that in my version of KSPI at least the atmospheric intake scoops for feeding thermal turbojets dont appear in the VAB/SPH as they are assigned category : 'none' in their part file. Am I not supposed to be using these then? I actually got several thermal jet spaceplanes into orbit before i realised my stock intakes were not producing intakeAtm. Making them aero category brought them into the game properly. I should be using these then right? My thermal turbojets are running on atmospheric mode.

If the thermal turbojets work correctly without them, I wouldn't use them, as they're most likely being deprecated - they're still in the game, for those peeps who have crafts that use them, but they are no longer usable on new crafts, as they will be phased out soonishly.

They are there for backwards compatibility but should not be used. Just use normal intakes.

Mechjeb doesn't give any useable readings unless the engine is actually fired up.

Mechjeb works perfectly for thermal rockets in the VAB when that thermal rocket is powered by a reactor. It cannot work for microwaves, obviously because those results are time and position dependent.

Fractal, I don't suppose you could answer a few question I have as a new user to this awesome mod (couldn't find any answers on the wiki)

-What do Water Storage containers do?

-Is there anyway to vent/purge/get rid of depleted fuels (the amount that accululates even when reprocessing anticides)

-Have you lowered the IVA science module textures or is their anything I can do to fix http://i.imgur.com/a8k5LRi.jpg (I don't use any texture replacement/compressor mods)

thanks for any reply.

Mechjeb works perfectly for thermal rockets in the VAB when that thermal rocket is powered by a reactor.

I spent about four hours yesterday fiddling with a fusion/thermal combo for my new LKO/Mun taxi - and not once in a couple of dozen test flights did MJ (a recent dev build) work properly in the VAB. Not once. It wasn't until the motors were actually fired on orbit that it gave accurate readings.

I've been trying to find and answer to this, but it seems nowhere to be found.

I installed the latest KSP Interstellar, but KSP crashes right between the loading screen and the main menu of KSP.

Anyone knows why, or have a solution for me to try?

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask if someone could post a guide for good SSTOs without the rapiers but with KSPI engines :) (as the wiki says: Fusion SSTO) Or rather: Is that possible?

Likely to be possible yes. I can see fusion or antimatter working with a plasma thruster. You could also use microwave power if you don't have FAR and don't mind the fact that it looks silly. I didn't build an SSTO but I did make a thermal turbojet plane and you need to put your engine and reactor in the middle since they're so heavy.

I've been trying to find and answer to this, but it seems nowhere to be found.

I installed the latest KSP Interstellar, but KSP crashes right between the loading screen and the main menu of KSP.

Anyone knows why, or have a solution for me to try?

what other mods do you have? That is a common problem that occurs when you have ~just~ the right number of mods to max out the RAM available. Remember that KSP is a 32 bit program, so you are limited to 3.9 gigs in normal game usage, plus unpacked parts and plugins.