[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

you do get the atmospheric radiators in the same node as the deployable solars as I recall.

Nope, I just checked - the first solar panels, the OX-STAT ones (very basic ones) are unlocked in Electrics, the first radiators (inline atmo and the non-deployable radial ones) are unlocked in the immediately next node, Advanced Electrics.

Nope, I just checked - the first solar panels, the OX-STAT ones (very basic ones) are unlocked in Electrics, the first radiators (inline atmo and the non-deployable radial ones) are unlocked in the immediately next node, Advanced Electrics.

I think you missed the deployable in my post. As I said the flat ones, aka the OX-STATs dont really need radiators if your sticking around kerbin unless your trying to generate tons of power by spaming them. the ones that fold out do come in the same node as the radiators just like I said and you can get away with not haveing radiators till then.

Arg, I have a 1.25 KIWI Nuclear reactor, filled with UF4, sitting on the pad, yet it produces nothing, the Status says: Resource Deprived. why is that?

Edit: weird, I have two KIWIs and the model for the fission reactors doesn't rescale to what it supposed to be, they are all huge models.

v1ELzE3.png

Edited by agentexeider

Arg, I have a 1.25 KIWI Nuclear reactor, filled with UF4, sitting on the pad, yet it produces nothing, the Status says: Resource Deprived. why is that?

Edit: weird, I have two KIWIs and the model for the fission reactors doesn't rescale to what it supposed to be, they are all huge models.

You have not deleted old versions of the mod when updating.

Oh is that what they looked like originally? I'm a bit of a latecomer and the new models were in when I first picked up this mod. Now I see why you replaced them, funtional but rather bland.

Yes, those were the models from before version 0.8, in fact they were some of the first models made for Interstellar.

Yes, those were the models from before version 0.8, in fact they were some of the first models made for Interstellar.

yeah, I fixed it, could of sword I deleted the folders, but what ever, I got it working now.

how to I transfer science from my science ship to my other vessels to upgrade their stuff. used to have to transmit it.

Hey guys, I've been looking for guides on how to use the ISRU module correctly, but sofar ive come up with nothing. I've been experimenting with a bunch of vehicle designs that have ISRU refineries in them, to try to set up an off-kerbin fuel supply line. Sofar though, I just cannot make it do what I want it to do.

There was a video from Scott manley where he landed a ship with 2 ISRU's on minmus. He then set one of them on extract water from the minmus 'soil', and the other on electrolise water. I have basicly re-enacted this, but my ISRU's are giving me no options for mining water (or any other resource except thorium and uranium). Now, I had 4 1.25m nuclear reactors with the appropriate electrical generators on my craft, so power was not the issue. I had a pair of water containers and standard liquid fuel - oxidiser tanks for storage, but for some reason all resource extraction processes remained on offline without an activate option. What could be the issue here?

What I am also wondering is this: what is the correct process for producing fuel on duna by means of ISRU's? As far as I understand it, you need to bring prerequisite liquid fuel (hydrogen), and then use the sabatier process to collect CO2 from the atmosphere. The ISRU refineries then react the H and CO2 to water and methane. This process is only really useable on duna due to the high atmospheric CO2 levels, correct? Now, I have a full tank of methane, what do i do with it? does it only function as a fuel for the specific methane engine added by the KSP interstellar mod? It doesnt work with regular oxidiser + liquid fuel engines right? Are there ways to fuel these on duna aswell?

I'd be very grateful if you guys can help me out!

What do these upgrades do/cost(science-wise)?

[Fusion Power] Particle Bed Reactor ----> Dusty Plasma Reactor

[Experimental Electrics] Heat Radiator: Mo Li Heat Pipe ----> Graphene Radiator

[Antimatter Power] D-T Tokamak ----> High-Q Tokamak Reactor

[Antimatter Power] AIM Microfission ----> AIM Microfusion

[Antimatter Power] AIM Microfission ----> AIM Microfusion

Thx!

And when do the other (isru refinery, science lab) parts unlock?

Bumping this so it doesn't get lost in the fast-moving conversation...

This is a kind of complex question and I think it may be beyond the usual Module Manager tweak, but I know there are cleverer people than I on this thread so maybe I'm wrong. As you know, Fractal's Magnetometer, besides doing science, reports the magnetic field strength and antimatter flux when activated. I would like to add that functionality to a custom part using a different mesh. I was hoping there was a way to modify the part's config file to add this in but I haven't been successful.

Does anyone know how to add such a functionality to a part?

What I am also wondering is this: what is the correct process for producing fuel on duna by means of ISRU's? As far as I understand it, you need to bring prerequisite liquid fuel (hydrogen), and then use the sabatier process to collect CO2 from the atmosphere. The ISRU refineries then react the H and CO2 to water and methane. This process is only really useable on duna due to the high atmospheric CO2 levels, correct? Now, I have a full tank of methane, what do i do with it? does it only function as a fuel for the specific methane engine added by the KSP interstellar mod? It doesnt work with regular oxidiser + liquid fuel engines right? Are there ways to fuel these on duna aswell?

I'd be very grateful if you guys can help me out!

Yes, the Sabatier Process produces Lqd Methane which is only used by that engine (Deinonychus 1D). To make liquid fuel and oxidiser, you need to electrolyse water. On Duna, water is concentrated at the poles.

Not sure about your first problem though :/

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

ok i have been beaten, the Antimatter Initiated Reactor is driving me bonkers. I am having a very hard time trying to get this thing to turn on. I have thrown power at it (2.5 fission and a 1.5 omega fusion), radial helium3 and antimatter tanks attached directly on the reactor, radiators are on. I transfer helium into reactor but still no go, all i get is the "resource deprived" message. Please Help, going insane!

Edited by Papercut

Bumping this so it doesn't get lost in the fast-moving conversation...

This is a kind of complex question and I think it may be beyond the usual Module Manager tweak, but I know there are cleverer people than I on this thread so maybe I'm wrong. As you know, Fractal's Magnetometer, besides doing science, reports the magnetic field strength and antimatter flux when activated. I would like to add that functionality to a custom part using a different mesh. I was hoping there was a way to modify the part's config file to add this in but I haven't been successful.

Does anyone know how to add such a functionality to a part?

I think it was passed over because it isn't clear what you are asking.

If you are creating a new part with a custom mesh, you don't need to use MM to set it up, you just need to add the appropriate MODULE into the part.cfg file.

I believe the module in question is

MODULE
{
name = DTMagnetometer
animName = deploy
}

On the other hand, if you're trying to add the function onto some other existing part, the MM config for it would be something like

@PART[insertPartNameHere]
{
MODULE
{
name = DTMagnetometer
animName = useCorrectAnimationNameFromYourPartHere
}
}

You'd need to insert the part name and the animation name, or if the new part isn't animated, just delete that line from the config, though I have no idea if the MODULE will still work without an animation.

Yes, the Sabatier Process produces Lqd Methane which is only used by that engine (Deinonychus 1D). To make liquid fuel and oxidiser, you need to electrolyse water. On Duna, water is concentrated at the poles.

Not sure about your first problem though :/

Thanks a lot for clarifying this. In order to make methane on duna im going to need t bring a certain amount of hydrogen (liquid fuel) right?

As for the question which was bugging me more, Why is it that most often resource extraction by the ISRU refineries doesnt seem to be possible? The problem doesnt seem to be related to resource availability, since water extraction should be possible everywhere on an ice moon like minmus. I was thinking, do I require other mods aside from KSP interstellar to activate resource extraction? the only mods i have installed are infernal robotics and KSP interstellar.

Thanks a lot for clarifying this. In order to make methane on duna im going to need t bring a certain amount of hydrogen (liquid fuel) right?

As for the question which was bugging me more, Why is it that most often resource extraction by the ISRU refineries doesnt seem to be possible? The problem doesnt seem to be related to resource availability, since water extraction should be possible everywhere on an ice moon like minmus. I was thinking, do I require other mods aside from KSP interstellar to activate resource extraction? the only mods i have installed are infernal robotics and KSP interstellar.

I haven't tried resource extraction, but there's maps in the folder with all the resources on (GameData\WarpPlugin\PlanetResourceData). I'd imagine that KSPI wouldn't need another mod for that, it'd seem a bit silly to.

Correct, you'd need hydrogen, but this can be electrolysed from the water. I don't know if the end product is the same as liquid fuel though - I haven't actually taken any refineries anywhere. I don't want to get far away from Kerbin and find that I forgot a certain critical piece. Yes, I know I can send it out and everything but given launch windows and my apparent knack for missing them entirely (thanks, KAC....), I'd be spending more time setting the damn things up rather than using them. I want to send it out and have it work first time.

As for how I know despite not doing it, well, there's a wiki for a reason ;)

I haven't tried resource extraction, but there's maps in the folder with all the resources on (GameData\WarpPlugin\PlanetResourceData). I'd imagine that KSPI wouldn't need another mod for that, it'd seem a bit silly to.

Correct, you'd need hydrogen, but this can be electrolysed from the water. I don't know if the end product is the same as liquid fuel though - I haven't actually taken any refineries anywhere. I don't want to get far away from Kerbin and find that I forgot a certain critical piece. Yes, I know I can send it out and everything but given launch windows and my apparent knack for missing them entirely (thanks, KAC....), I'd be spending more time setting the damn things up rather than using them. I want to send it out and have it work first time.

If KAC isn't precise enough for your transfer windows, you should try out the Launch Window Planner by alexmoon, which can spit out a LOT of useful data. It's especially useful when combined with PreciseNode.

Yeah I checked everything on ISRU's on that wiki already. It didnt get me very far, as it only states that ISRU's can extract resources. This doesnt help me answer why mine doesn't I guess if noone else is running into this issue it might be that my mod is out of date or something. Or I just dont understand how to work the ISRU's, but that seems doubtfull as I did bring along power (160 MW nucular powah) and empty water and fuel tanks linked by fuel pipes. Am I missing something obvious?

Yeah I checked everything on ISRU's on that wiki already. It didnt get me very far, as it only states that ISRU's can extract resources. This doesnt help me answer why mine doesn't I guess if noone else is running into this issue it might be that my mod is out of date or something. Or I just dont understand how to work the ISRU's, but that seems doubtfull as I did bring along power (160 MW nucular powah) and empty water and fuel tanks linked by fuel pipes. Am I missing something obvious?

You made one slightly flawed assumption - that water was present everywhere on Minmus. It isn't.

If you want the cheat sheet, you can take a look at GameData\WarpPlugin\PlanetResourceData\minmus_water.png and the other pngs in that folder - they're the distribution maps for where you can find given resources, and their relative densities.

I currently have an ISRU on minmus and it is happily extracting water, and turning it into fuel for me, so the mechanics do work, it's just a matter of placement :)

What I find annoying is that there's no in-game way of finding where the water is. You can find uranium, thorium, the contents of the atmosphere etc etc, but water? Nothing. Unless you want to land a mobile ISRU and rove all over the place trying to find a hotspot, you have to look at the cheat sheet. It's like saying to someone "right, under this football pitch is a casket of treasure. Go find it." "Well, can I have a clue?" "Oh fiiiine, if you want to cheat, here's a vague map as to where it is. And no, I won't tell you which way is north or where we are right now."

What I find annoying is that there's no in-game way of finding where the water is. You can find uranium, thorium, the contents of the atmosphere etc etc, but water? Nothing. Unless you want to land a mobile ISRU and rove all over the place trying to find a hotspot, you have to look at the cheat sheet. It's like saying to someone "right, under this football pitch is a casket of treasure. Go find it." "Well, can I have a clue?" "Oh fiiiine, if you want to cheat, here's a vague map as to where it is. And no, I won't tell you which way is north or where we are right now."

True, but you could always add

MODULE
{
name = FNResourceScanner
resourceName = Water
mapViewAvailable = true
}

to a scanner part to make a detector.

I'm running into a problem with my fusion aircraft, I've built these using B9 parts, I've built 2 of em so far, one big that produces 150kN in each of the four fusion engines, Ive connected to a different part of the fuselage 4 1.25m kiwi reactors with accompanying generator and these seem to power the thing. Due to the fact that this monstrosity was to big to get out of the atmosphere i decided to build a smaller and lighter craft capable of getting into orbit. in this one i use 2 fusion reactors instead, mounted on the same fuselage piece (the one that terminates in 2 engine mounts), same setup with kiwi reactors (these arent connected to the piece in question). These only produce 50kN of thrust, what am i missing here?

Oh and when checking the output on the fusion reactors one is set at 30% while the other one is set at around 60% while in the original craft all 4 are at 100% at least initially

EDIT: I tried it with the S2 fuselage parts as well (you know, the extra wide ones) but with the 2.5m fusion tokamak powering the 4 1,25m fusion engines, same result. Low thrust, around 50 kN

EDIT2: This is so weird, I did some experimenting with the S2 fuselage, 1 2.5 fusion reactor=50kN of thrust from each of the engines. If i attach 4 kiwi reactors with generators separately from the 4 fusion (i put them in a cargohold) they generate 150kN of thrust, if i attach them on the other end of one of those radial mount thingies the engines produce 50kN again...

Edited by Kidneythump

I'm running into a problem with my fusion aircraft, bAHDGHDHADHadh

I think you may need more intakes (due to how the engines use a lot of "intake atmosphere")

Also wait until you get upgraded fusion reactors :D (SO good)

Nuclear reactors aren't that good really, and also the more heat radiated away from reactors the more efficient they are.

One last thing, fusion reactors need electricity to keep active, so make sure you have electric generators attached to them! (tweak the electricity in them to be 1000)

Edit: I can't quite remember if unupgraded nuclear reactors are better than unupgraded fusion reactors :l

Edited by Boamere

True, but you could always add

MODULE
{
name = FNResourceScanner
resourceName = Water
mapViewAvailable = true
}

to a scanner part to make a detector.

Added this module to the kethane scanner, It shows water abundance but does not show it on the grid. Did i do something wrong?