[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Sounds great, unfortunately I don't even have a probe at Jool yet never mind an antimatter station and warp drive technology. The idea was to start collecting the magic particles while all the other exploration was in progress. Basically... Image goes wibbly wobbly signifying the reverse passage of time...

...Image goes wobbly wibbly signifying the forward passage of time... And that is why my Kerbals started antimatter research before the first probe reached Duna never mind Jool.

;)

Yeah... we all have to start somewhere. Oddly I started in the same place. As soon as I had warp... I put the AM station around Jool. I actually sent two... but the first one was still 100 days out when warp was completed and I had a couple thousand AM from my Kerbin AM farm. So I crashed the first, inferior and un-kermanned(?) station into the core of Jool.

I still have things on my to-do list... like rescuing those poor Moho and Eelloo researchers and replacing them with unmanned CPU farms. They've not even been there an earth year yet... I'll get to them eventually. I'm still placing fuel stations and miners on/around all viable planets.. DARNIT!

~Steve

I'll consider it. I am concerned about part bloat though. And a good part of the gameplay if figuring how to put the square peg into the round hole.

Try this. Download the kerbal space orbiter, and build it in the VAB. The building isn't very fun is it? Everything fits in it's place exactly, and in no other way. The mod is fantastic. I love the look of it, and flying it, but the building portion just isn't very interesting because there's very little creativity or problem solving involved, and that process is a huge part of what makes ksp interesting and fun.

Yep, definitely a fine perspective, and I agree that avoiding part bloat is important. On the other hand, if there's anything KSP has in abundance it is options for different sizes of storage tanks. And the large UF4 tank holds 4x the fuel of the 1.25m reactors, and that just seems a bit off to me. It's also the same size as the other small cans.

I also suggest moving some of the storage tanks to the earliest nodes that use them - there's no point having UF4 tanks cluttering up your VAB until you can actually use UF4.

I also suggest moving some of the storage tanks to the earliest nodes that use them - there's no point having UF4 tanks cluttering up your VAB until you can actually use UF4.

Unfortunately there are actualy 2 nodes this could be although admitedly one would be a very strange path up the tree. The obvious node is Nuclear Propulsion where you unlock reactors. Most people will push for this node anyway for the LV-N. The other one is if you push the science end of the tree up to Advanced Science Tech you have the ISRU, if you also grab the node next to it you would have transceivers and be able to beam solar power to run the ISRU. While its silly to take this path and you may wonder why would someone go and mine UF4 off planet when they cant even use it yet? I point to antimater as a precedent for establishing collection before you can actualy use the stuff. Which node do you put it in as an argument could be made either way. Fractal put em in the node he did because no mater what path you take you'd have that node.

Ok... so this is odd...

Am I smoking crack or has my thrust to weight doubled with 0.23.5 with KSPI thermal thrusters+AM reactors? I distinctly recall 10.4 T:W on my Tug before.. and now I'm getting over 20.

So... what happened?

~Steve

PS

I think I'll just let KSP sit for a bit while mod updates finish.

EDIT: Hey Fractal! Would you please finally consider adding in the version 2 of Warpdrive into KSPI that zzz was nice enough to make for us? It's absolutely VITAL for anyone that wants to make a warp capable space plane!

For those that don't know

Gfqt1Im.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eufatsv6trvgrgd/v6S_RhHoqC

Edited by NeoAcario

BTW Fractal, when the Science Lab mentions xxx science/day, is that Kerbin days or Earth days? Since 0.23.5 defined the Kerbin day as 6 hours and nodes and SOIs now show "Kerbin days".

Rates are defined from seconds all the mod's code as far as I've seen. Seconds haven't change, so rates will should still show in earth units. And for me personally, changing the tool tips to support kerbal days will be a low priority.

Fractal, i hope you will add toolbar plugin support for thermal helper in upcoming update :)

Los, just idea i had, maybe add informtion about what parts are going to be updated do node description? Or some other way of informing player about this.

Edited by kiwiak

What happens if you try to run this after updating to 23.5?

I have like 18 mods in my interstellar install, so I guess I should just wait for them all to update.

What happens if you try to run this after updating to 23.5?

I have like 18 mods in my interstellar install, so I guess I should just wait for them all to update.

I have 89 mods including plugins and part packs installed. Everything is pretty much up to date now, and I'm having no issues.

Ok... so this is odd...

Am I smoking crack or has my thrust to weight doubled with 0.23.5 with KSPI thermal thrusters+AM reactors? I distinctly recall 10.4 T:W on my Tug before.. and now I'm getting over 20.

So... what happened?

~Steve

PS

I think I'll just let KSP sit for a bit while mod updates finish.

EDIT: Hey Fractal! Would you please finally consider adding in the version 2 of Warpdrive into KSPI that zzz was nice enough to make for us? It's absolutely VITAL for anyone that wants to make a warp capable space plane!

For those that don't know

http://i.imgur.com/Gfqt1Im.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eufatsv6trvgrgd/v6S_RhHoqC

I am one that doesn't know...could you give me a little more information about those drives? I love my spaceplanes

Its basicly a fold away warp drive. I disagree with his assertion that its vital. cool most definitely but far from vital. I personaly pull the stunt that they did with the jedi fighter in attack of the clones. Ship flys up into orbit and docks with its warp(hyper)drive module and off it goes. when ready to land it leaves the module in orbit. For a plane I'm already luging the wings around in space where they do me no good why should I lug the warp drive into the atmosphere as well?

I am one that doesn't know...could you give me a little more information about those drives? I love my spaceplanes

Well you see the picture... zzz made a collapsible warp drive. The download is right there. Just toss it right next to the regular warp drive folder.

Not sure what else you want to know...

~Steve

The impactor experiment seems to be broken.

Or atleast with sensor probes launched pre-0.23.5.

At first I thought the new cfg that came along with WaveLength's latest experimental doesn't contain the "!MODULE" string in the science.cfg. Well, it didn't. I put it.

After this I tested - no text on impact, no data to be collected on any of my 6 sensor probes.

Then I went to each of them and clicked "Stop recording", and then "Start recording" again. Impacted another vessel(all impacts happen at speeds around 500 m/s, so that is not an issue), still nothing.

I think it's broken.

Nailed a bug from 0.23.5 for you Fractal

Ok.. so I've tested several variations with the thermal thruster (plasma seems fine). I have 10.46 T:W on the launchpad.. and about 23.5 T:W in orbit. Which is NOT the same 2.5 factor of improved ISP from Atmo to vacum with LFO which is what I first thought it might be. But it's doing 2.25x. So I'm not sure where it's coming from.

Should be an easy fix... or something.

It seems the Methane thruster is having a similar issue at around 2.25 multiplier. Doesn't make sense since that's not the ISP difference. But there it is. Odd, since the plasma thruster seemed fine.

~Steve

EDIT:

25 T:W is cool and all... but I'm tearing my own ships apart. And that's with the 1.25m thermal+AM.

EDIT2:

There's also an old typo... for some reason your 3.75m AM tanks are labeled as 3.5m. Might want to toss the 7 back in there.

Edited by NeoAcario

Nailed a bug from 0.23.5 for you Fractal

Ok.. so I've tested several variations with the thermal thruster (plasma seems fine). I have 10.46 T:W on the launchpad.. and about 23.5 T:W in orbit. Which is NOT the same 2.5 factor of improved ISP from Atmo to vacum with LFO which is what I first thought it might be. But it's doing 2.25x. So I'm not sure where it's coming from.

Should be an easy fix... or something.

It seems the Methane thruster is having a similar issue at around 2.25 multiplier. Doesn't make sense since that's not the ISP difference. But there it is. Odd, since the plasma thruster seemed fine.

~Steve

EDIT:

25 T:W is cool and all... but I'm tearing my own ships apart. And that's with the 1.25m thermal+AM.

EDIT2:

There's also an old typo... for some reason your 3.75m AM tanks are labeled as 3.5m. Might want to toss the 7 back in there.

The methane engine is just a stock .cfg edit so if you have an isp problem with that, you have found a KSP bug rather than an Interstellar one, I suspect.

Please be mindful of capitalization of filenames. Windows is not case sensitive and this introduces the terrible habit of not thinking in case-sensitive. For the experimental version released by WaveFunctionP I had to rename and merge a lot of folders. The actual contents of the files were spread over paths such as gamedata and GameData, fueltank and Fueltank and their numerous combinations, and as it is, it wont even start on Linux with an enormous number of error message. Extracting the files, recreating the folder structure and mergeing every single folder of the mod's structure makes it work. The correct capitalization appears to be CamelCase for the folder names, and the filenames dont seem to require fixing. I would not mind sharing my archive of the correctly renamed mod files, but I fear what must be fixed is whatever procedure you guys use to produce the mod, on which you must enforce capitalization discipline.

The methane engine is just a stock .cfg edit so if you have an isp problem with that, you have found a KSP bug rather than an Interstellar one, I suspect.

I'm not having ISP issues.. I'm having issues with the thrust jumping by a factor of 2.5 (between launch pad and vacuum) on Thermal Thrusters (all sizes)!

~Steve

Edited by NeoAcario

I'm not having ISP issues.. I'm having issues with the thrust jumping by a factor of 2.25 (between launch pad and vacuum)! On both the Methane and the Thermal Thrusters (all sizes)!

~Steve

That would have more to do with the angle of your transmitters and the thermal receiver, also Atmo losses.

I'm not having ISP issues.. I'm having issues with the thrust jumping by a factor of 2.5 (between launch pad and vacuum) on Thermal Thrusters (all sizes)!

~Steve

Oh, that's not a bug. That's proper thrust scaling as the Isp changes. It has been that way for ages...

Oh, that's not a bug. That's proper thrust scaling as the Isp changes. It has been that way for ages...

Yeah.. was just about to delete my post. Forgive me... my insomnia is acting up again and I've been drinking but still not able to fall asleep after the past 36 hours.

~Steve

EDIT:

Yeah... think I'll go play something mindless... come back to this after I've had some sleep.

I can't even build straight right now...

Edited by NeoAcario

Please be mindful of capitalization of filenames. Windows is not case sensitive and this introduces the terrible habit of not thinking in case-sensitive. For the experimental version released by WaveFunctionP I had to rename and merge a lot of folders. The actual contents of the files were spread over paths such as gamedata and GameData, fueltank and Fueltank and their numerous combinations, and as it is, it wont even start on Linux with an enormous number of error message. Extracting the files, recreating the folder structure and mergeing every single folder of the mod's structure makes it work. The correct capitalization appears to be CamelCase for the folder names, and the filenames dont seem to require fixing. I would not mind sharing my archive of the correctly renamed mod files, but I fear what must be fixed is whatever procedure you guys use to produce the mod, on which you must enforce capitalization discipline.

I'll look into it, but to be clear, it is an experimental version and a lot things have changes, so be sure to delete your previous warp folder before installing because all sort of shenanigans can happen. I haven't really touched any file names, though, so I'm not sure why you would suddenly experience an issue.

And to be extra clear, my experimental version is in no way fractal's responsibility in any way shape of form. Blame me for any problems you may experience.

The impactor experiment seems to be broken.

Or atleast with sensor probes launched pre-0.23.5.

At first I thought the new cfg that came along with WaveLength's latest experimental doesn't contain the "!MODULE" string in the science.cfg. Well, it didn't. I put it.

After this I tested - no text on impact, no data to be collected on any of my 6 sensor probes.

Then I went to each of them and clicked "Stop recording", and then "Start recording" again. Impacted another vessel(all impacts happen at speeds around 500 m/s, so that is not an issue), still nothing.

I think it's broken.

There's been no change with the impactor experiment that I'm aware of. But I'll look into it. And I'll fix that config back to the interstellar version. It got copied over from my personal files when setting up my code repository.

It has come to my attention that impactors with a center of mass significantly above the surface may experience problems. There may be a fix, but in the mean time you can just lob small parts at the surface if you want and see if that resolves your issue.

Edited by WaveFunctionP