[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Small question/request....

The situation:

I've been having a blast with the antimatter reactors combined with thermal rockets and the like, and I've currently worked around the problem of starting with no AM by collecting some, then returning a canister of it to the spaceport before loading it onto a fuel bowser.

New rocket going up, drive the fuel bowser over to the launch pad, and load a gram or two of AM and then drive the bowser back over to it's parking spot.

The issue:

While this has worked well I find the increase in part count and such to be a bit problematic for slower computers, plus the ever present hazard of my fuel technician tripping over a pebble and spontaneously exploding as they face plant on the tarmac.

The possible solution?:

Would it be possible to integrate recovered fuel storage into the space complex? Ie. a ship returns with a load of tritium or antimatter and when recovered the rare fuel is stored at the complex ready to be parceled out to ships at a later date.

Small question/request....

The situation:

I've been having a blast with the antimatter reactors combined with thermal rockets and the like, and I've currently worked around the problem of starting with no AM by collecting some, then returning a canister of it to the spaceport before loading it onto a fuel bowser.

New rocket going up, drive the fuel bowser over to the launch pad, and load a gram or two of AM and then drive the bowser back over to it's parking spot.

The issue:

While this has worked well I find the increase in part count and such to be a bit problematic for slower computers, plus the ever present hazard of my fuel technician tripping over a pebble and spontaneously exploding as they face plant on the tarmac.

The possible solution?:

Would it be possible to integrate recovered fuel storage into the space complex? Ie. a ship returns with a load of tritium or antimatter and when recovered the rare fuel is stored at the complex ready to be parceled out to ships at a later date.

You could always use Fuel Balancer to put in AM and Tritium... and only use it on your honor.

Just an idea. I've actually done this a few times for 500+ part launch vehicles that I didn't want to drive anywhere near with my delivery vehicles.

~Steve

Exactly, I don't want to max it fast, but the impactor experiment seemed a bit op to me. With just 6 sensor probes and 10 impacts I made around 2000 science from the Mun.

EDIT: Fractal, the science.cfg lacks the "!MODULE" string, which basically removes the additional functionality. It lacks this string in the official d/l link, so I thought it's disabled by default.

The seismic experiment doesn't change the balance all that much. Mun has 15 biomes and a 4x multiplier giving the stock game a total of 1200 points. 2000 isn't all that different but it costs a bit more coordination.

So, it seems that with the very minor addition to the tech in the new version, I'm left with two options:

1) I can shift the asteroid grabber into the old tech tree and continue with the existing Interstellar tech tree

OR

2) I can find a way of revising the tech tree should I need to make updates.

Given that SQUAD are obviously happy to stick nodes in here and there, I think option 2) makes more sense because it will allow me to future-proof Interstellar and make me more capable of adapting to future updates. I'm going to try and take this opportunity to make some much needed tweaks to the Interstellar tree as well. Hopefully the result will be a nicer technology progression in career mode, this will allow me to incorporate some much needed balance changes - such as stopping the likes of gas core nuclear reactors from appearing in the same node as the DT Vista, which are really on a completely level and thus don't really belong in the same node.

I agree that 2 is the much better option long term. However if its going to add alot of extra time to your workload and further delay the next version significantly you may want to consider doing both. A quick patchjob MM config to shift the grabber for the next release and slate option 2 for a future release. Its not like its hard to remove an MM config file, heck quite a few of us have made our own quick patches to get the claw working already.

To everyone who are discussing my video - the video was made to showcase a bug with KJR, which Ferram acknowledged and fixed in his latest version. The bouncing is from this bug, it is not related to Interstellar in any way.

I just used it to showcase the craft that I am using for impactor experiments to Wave, who was interested if its mass is too high.

Still, I can't make the experiment work anymore. Tried everything.

Maybe I maxed it? But shouldn't it still show an experiment window, just with 0 science when I press Collect data?

To everyone who are discussing my video - the video was made to showcase a bug with KJR, which Ferram acknowledged and fixed in his latest version. The bouncing is from this bug, it is not related to Interstellar in any way.

I just used it to showcase the craft that I am using for impactor experiments to Wave, who was interested if its mass is too high.

Still, I can't make the experiment work anymore. Tried everything.

Maybe I maxed it? But shouldn't it still show an experiment window, just with 0 science when I press Collect data?

Actually I was concerned that the center of mass was offset enough from the ground on impact. If you've done the experiment is should show up in the r and d facility, where it lists your experiments.

- Support for persisting Kerbal total radiation exposure (FractUK)

- Added radiation hardening to crew modules. (FractalUK)

Could you please elaborate on how does this system work?

I understand that different modules offer different protection against radiation, but what value does it take in consideration when providing said protection?

In the previous interstellar version i barely got 2 mSv/yr at Kerbin surface, but now i got 224 mSv/yr, which is extreme for Kerbin's surface radiation level.

Also, does the persistent radiation levels on kerbals reset after being recovered?

Thanks in advance :)

I understand that different modules offer different protection against radiation, but what value does it take in consideration when providing said protection?

In the previous interstellar version i barely got 2 mSv/yr at Kerbin surface, but now i got 224 mSv/yr, which is extreme for Kerbin's surface radiation level.

Also, does the persistent radiation levels on kerbals reset after being recovered?

You'd have to ask fractal about it after it's finished. I pulled it into my build simply to test if anything is broken.

You'd have to ask fractal about it after it's finished. I pulled it into my build simply to test if anything is broken.

Thanks for your help :) This is definitely something that should be looked at (as it could be game breaking if not tuned properly).

The Kerbin surface radiation level isn't fixed, it varies depending upon the uranium and thorium concentration in the area. 200msv/yr is about the maximum you'll see on Kerbin and 1-2 is probably the minimum.

When Kerbals receive more than an equivalent 50msv/yr the dose will build up but should they return to a safer area they'll start to run down their accumulated dose.

I'm still not putting in actual consequences yet, it's all just extra information for now.

Whats wrong with the tech tree I already fixed and posted here? I added the new actuator node in the same place it is on the stock tree and removed the largeProbes node to match its removal from stock.

Just asking for confirmation and clarity...

I've scrolled back to patch day and read everything. From the sound of it the only issues between Interstellar and 0.23.5 is the tech tree, and Arrowmaster's tree.cfg file fixes that.

Are there any other issues people are seeing? I did a re-start from scratch and I really wanna have Interstellar installed right from the start.

Just asking for confirmation and clarity...

I've scrolled back to patch day and read everything. From the sound of it the only issues between Interstellar and 0.23.5 is the tech tree, and Arrowmaster's tree.cfg file fixes that.

Are there any other issues people are seeing? I did a re-start from scratch and I really wanna have Interstellar installed right from the start.

Don't forget to add zzz's collapsible warp drive 2.0.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eufatsv6trvgrgd/v6S_RhHoqC

Gfqt1Im.jpg

~Steve

So, is nobody else having issues with being unable to deploy radiators and solar sails? The rightclick menu shows none of the buttons it should.

EDIT: Nevermind, looking for more than 5 minutes shows I accidentally moved OpenResourceSystem :s Fail.

The Kerbin surface radiation level isn't fixed, it varies depending upon the uranium and thorium concentration in the area. 200msv/yr is about the maximum you'll see on Kerbin and 1-2 is probably the minimum.

When Kerbals receive more than an equivalent 50msv/yr the dose will build up but should they return to a safer area they'll start to run down their accumulated dose.

I'm still not putting in actual consequences yet, it's all just extra information for now.

Thanks a lot for the info Fractal :)

TreeLoader lets custom tech trees move parts around and override the TechRequired line from the part config. You can try changing the TechRequired to "interstellarTechUHEPhysics" to match the correct node on the Intersellar tree or you can try my fixed tree.cfg which I just added the new parts to. For the fixed tree.cfg just replace the tree.cfg in you save folder with the new one and load the game.

How do you change tree maps?

Fractal_UK, it could be a good idea add a "DLC" page onto your KSPI wiki. You could let only a few select people (like WavefunctionP, zzz, Arrowmster) have access to uploading to it, but it would give us a good way to make their work available without having to go though 800 pages of forums. Like your very own mini Kerbal Spaceport. I could also see reasons you may not want to do that.

Anyway, thank you guys for the very quick responses to my earlier question.

Fractal_UK, it could be a good idea add a "DLC" page onto your KSPI wiki. You could let only a few select people (like WavefunctionP, zzz, Arrowmster) have access to uploading to it, but it would give us a good way to make their work available without having to go though 800 pages of forums. Like your very own mini Kerbal Spaceport. I could also see reasons you may not want to do that.

Anyway, thank you guys for the very quick responses to my earlier question.

None of them officially work with Fractal... they just try to help out here and there. zzz is kind of the exception, he has made a number of skins for KSPI in the past. Giving access to modify the official download would cause all sorts of headaches with communications and what not. It's not worth it.

~Steve

EDIT

And yes... many of us here in this forum try to be helpful when we feel we're knowledgeable on a topic. Quite a nice bunch in here.