[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Yeah.. they work... but are WAY too easy to get at current level in tech.

I've never played around with the tech tree before.

You just need to edit the tech required item in the .cfg file to: interstellarTechUHEPhysics

You just need to edit the tech required item in the .cfg file to: interstellarTechUHEPhysics

Thanks, man. I tried a few times to guess it...

~Steve

EDIT:

That is VERY easy to change. Just copy the tree location of the existing ones.

nope!

Edited by NeoAcario

In tree.cfg just search for "warp" and add this:

name = WarpDrive21

name = WarpDrive22

name = WarpDrive23

I actually prefer to edit the TechRequired in the .cfg. This way I (and anyone else) only needs to drop in the folder and not touch anything else.

~Steve

I do so much prefer this version of the alcubierre. I think Fractal should add it, so that we may have alternate Alcubierre models. But when read that you were using Collapsible Alcubierres, the first thing that popped into my mind was literally an alcubierre drive that folded inwards around the center part's perimeter. Like, really worhtwhile collapsibility. I didn't not expect this.

I do so much prefer this version of the alcubierre. I think Fractal should add it, so that we may have alternate Alcubierre models. But when read that you were using Collapsible Alcubierres, the first thing that popped into my mind was literally an alcubierre drive that folded inwards around the center part's perimeter. Like, really worhtwhile collapsibility. I didn't not expect this.

As I said... zzz made this ages ago so that you could have a warp drive on a space plane. When collapsed you can actually land and take off using a runway. But yeah, I like the design so much that I use it for all of my craft.

~Steve

Tried searching for a solution here, but found nothing. Just updated to 0.23.5 with everything I'm running being valid against the mod compatibility list and with all necessary new updates in place. I did all of this with a fresh, updated install of KSP. Anyway, now when I try to run KSP, it freezes on loading the WarpPlugin and refuses to continue loading. What could be going wrong here?

EDIT: Game loads just fine with WarpPlugin folder deleted.

Edited by SpacedInvader

So what's the PRO to using the 3.75m in-line refinery compared to the ISRU? 6t compared to 2.5t. Seems to do all of the processes at the same rate.. but have a much larger capacity. I'm guessing that's it? It's in-line, can do all the same things the ISRU can do, has larger capacity... and that's it?

Trying to decide if I should try and design a mining station around this to replace my ISRU model.

~Steve

I keep the folding model now, sinc eI know he will neveer work them in.

I did simple copy paste the normal Warpdrive Tech needs (for research) into their cfg Files and now they are at the same Technode.

A Problem is only, that the Warpeffect (this blue and red warptrail) had bever been worked in correctly (at the time he made them) so they look a bit unfitting) but who cares *shrucks*.

Well here it is... my KSP Interstellar Grand Tour ship. Complete with 1/3 extra LFO and Antimatter margin of errors (I'm not usually THAT bad, but...). Built to take off from Kerbin, land and take off from every planet and moon, and then land back at Kerbin without needing power or fuel from any outside source.

Obviously all orbital maneuvers are Plasma and All take off and landing will be AM+Thermal. Oh, and planet to planet with Warp... naturally.

All under 50t and 70 parts... not sure I could make it much smaller. The 1/4 rockomax tank is used for take off from Kerbin and then land and take off from Eve. After that, drop the tank and do the rest in the order you please.

screenshot43.png

~Steve

EDIT

Added an RTG to the probe controlled 'mother ship' just to be on the safe side... making it an even 70 parts.

EDIT2

Had to make it a 1/2 Rockomax drop tank. I had forgotten just how soupy Eve atmo was at sea level. A little under 58t now.

Edited by NeoAcario

So what's the PRO to using the 3.75m in-line refinery compared to the ISRU?

Because at 6 tons a pop its still easier to land a cylinder of 6 or so of the things than it is to try and design a ship that incorperates the rather awkward geometry of the IRSU in a multi module form. I actualy eddited a copy of the old inline one that I'd boosted to 5tons with full funtionality in the last version. didnt up the physical size but that was more not wanting to screw up and have to restart several times to get it right but I got prety close on the weight penalty.

Because at 6 tons a pop its still easier to land a cylinder of 6 or so of the things than it is to try and design a ship that incorperates the rather awkward geometry of the IRSU in a multi module form. I actualy eddited a copy of the old inline one that I'd boosted to 5tons with full funtionality in the last version. didnt up the physical size but that was more not wanting to screw up and have to restart several times to get it right but I got prety close on the weight penalty.

I actually rather like the ISRU design. Makes for a great, wide landing area for a base.

screenshot44.png

~Steve

Found an odd bug during my grand tour... exiting warp from Gilly to Moho I would still be going about 150,000 m/s. Worked just fine going from Eve to Moho. Could the ultra low gravity of Gilly effect warp somehow?

~Steve

I actually rather like the ISRU design. Makes for a great, wide landing area for a base.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ErsfNe4jEBc/U0TGXDqSGiI/AAAAAAAABms/s6y9zp6lesA/w1916-h1078-no/screenshot44.png

~Steve

Untill you try to launch a monstrocity like that with FAR :P . I generaly dont like launching mobile craft with lots of spokes just hanging out there on a single beam. A multi core design where 2 or more additional stacks are attached to the central core are one thing but radially attached spokes tend to be rather floppy without a fair bit of strutting. Its different with stations assembled in orbit but those dont tend to move around much with weight on long arms and the IRSU is pointless in orbit, may as well use the inline.

Donzi, that is some magnificent engineering right there. :)

The crazy part is the first time I tried it, I actually made it into orbit lol.

I use 2 procedural fairing bases, one ontop of the rocket and one on the bottom.

Edited by Donziboy2

The crazy part is the first time I tried it, I actually made it into orbit lol.

Saying try it with FAR basically means how wild are you willing to go on the procedural fairings. I usually try to keep them at reasonable sizes but your solution is pretty nice, I always forget you can attach stuff to the fairings as well.

Saying try it with FAR basically means how wild are you willing to go on the procedural fairings. I usually try to keep them at reasonable sizes but your solution is pretty nice, I always forget you can attach stuff to the fairings as well.

FAR does make it a challenge, if you don't have full control or try and go up to fast it will explode spectacularly.

If you look at the large boosters you can see 2.5m SAS units below the nose cones. Without them it gets very interesting to fly lol.

Is it possible to have some integration between the KSPI resources with scanSAT? I'll cross-post on that other mod as well. It seems like an opportunity to save duplication of efforts and reduce the meta-gaming that is involved with opening the resource maps outside of the game.

Just a thought. Love the mod.

FAR does make it a challenge, if you don't have full control or try and go up to fast it will explode spectacularly.

If you look at the large boosters you can see 2.5m SAS units below the nose cones. Without them it gets very interesting to fly lol.

You can fly straight up 90% of the time with any size fairing unless the payload is unbalanced. It will be very inefficient but you can orbit anything that way.

You can fly straight up 90% of the time with any size fairing unless the payload is unbalanced. It will be very inefficient but you can orbit anything that way.

Yep, if you have enough fuel, I do not build my craft like that thou.

Actually if it wasnt for FAR I would not have enough DV to make it lol.

Edited by Donziboy2

Ya I know you could launch that thing with FAR just wouldnt be easy without proc fairings and doing it with fairings your prety much resigned to launching a really silly looking rocket. Technicly you can launch almost anything with FAR if your willing to go prety much strait up and quite possibly very very slowly. I prefer my rockets to look simi realistic however.

So, now I know why exactly you're not allowed to activate the alcubierre drive within atmosphere...It's much akin to hitting the planet itself.

anyway. I'm currently trying to make a solar power relay of satllites, beginning with decent sized solar sats in low Kerbol orbit. Now, I ahve one out so far, and it's the pic below.

2UzZVSQ.png

There are 16 solar panels, gigantor solar panels. On the Power Flower (name), it his a thermal receiver, and an electric generator, with a collapsible alcubierre behind it before another computer core.

One transmitter, and it transmits normally. Though, I'm having trouble understanding how much energy is being produced adn transmitted. For instance, it says it has an energy flow of 48645 units. There are 16 solar panels. 778,335 unts of energy in all. I wanna convert that to killowatts, but it says that thats the heat production already.

Edited by SeventhArchitect