[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Hi.

First I want to say thanks for the many improvements.

I have few questions and observations about the radiation feature. I know is not complete, and parts has been there for some time.

I just started a new game due to ARM (Infernal robotics broken, put hold my program on hold). So I'm a bit concerned about the transition, once the radiation starts mattering.

The radiation seems too high. It's deadly around minmus, and its high pretty much anywhere else. I have high radiation on the launch pad. I suppose this would be adjusted.

So my kerbals are collecting pretty lethal doses. I hope their dose will be reset, before the version which introduces consequences.

Station/base placement - would be nice to have radiation adjusted version without consequences, so we can find the safe spots and relocate our bases/stations etc

The radiation hardness. How is this decided. I noticed some of the non stock pods seem to have very high rad hardness. What's the hardness of kerbal on EVA? Would be nice if hitchhiker has higher rad hardness, so it would make more sense to keep your crew in the living quarters, rather than lab/pod. Also shouldn't the KSPI lab have high rad hardness, since it has facility for working with radioactive materials. Also might need heavy, but safe pods in the future, or what I'd prefer, way to adjust protection by making pod heavier.

I was wondering, What would I need to add to the default behaviour to the science.cfg so that I can have both the default and the impact test. I know people have done it...but for my manned missions I am doing just the default...but later with larger ships I would also like to drop impactors. Thoughts?

You need to make a copy of the seismic probe's part folder. Put it someplace safe so that it doesn't get overwritten by updates. You can rename the folder to impactorProbe if you like. Open the config file, change the name to something unique, impactorProbe is fine. Change the title and description so that you can identify which part is which in the vab.

Replace:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceExperiment

experimentID = seismicScan

experimentActionName = Log Seismic Data
resetActionName = Delete Data

useStaging = False
useActionGroups = True
hideUIwhenUnavailable = False

xmitDataScalar = 0.45
dataIsCollectable = True
collectActionName = Take Data
interactionRange = 1.2

rerunnable = True
}

with:

MODULE
{
name = FNSeismicProbe
experimentID = FNSeismicProbeExperiment
rerunnable = true
deployEventName = Collect Impact Data
reviewEventName = Review Impact Data
resetEventName = Reset Impact Data
}

Delete the science.cfg file. (You'll need to delete science.cfg each time you update the mod, as a new version will be placed in the warpfolder unless fractal decides to make the impactor a separate part, instead of overriding a stock part.)

Reload the game, and it "should" work.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this.

I am trying to get a plasma thruster working. I have a set of solar panels orbiting the sun with a large transceiver transmitting. The transceiver on my vehicle is set to receive and I have full MJs according to my resources. However, whenever I try to throttle up the plasma thruster, it will glow, but I get no thrust whatsover; no resources are even being consumed. Same problem when using monopropellent or quantum vacuum.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem might be. Am I just doing something completely wrong and forgetting a crucial piece? Any ideas?

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this.

I am trying to get a plasma thruster working. I have a set of solar panels orbiting the sun with a large transceiver transmitting. The transceiver on my vehicle is set to receive and I have full MJs according to my resources. However, whenever I try to throttle up the plasma thruster, it will glow, but I get no thrust whatsover; no resources are even being consumed. Same problem when using monopropellent or quantum vacuum.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem might be. Am I just doing something completely wrong and forgetting a crucial piece? Any ideas?

How much power are you receiving? The thruster starts to produce decent power above a few GW. It's practically in the tens of millimeters acceleration under a GW.

I would assume a negligible amount? I only have one array transmitting power from about 4.5 mil km solar orbit. Is there a minimum amount of MJ needed until the thruster starts working period? I only have 180 MJ as that was all that was in the transceivers.

Hi.

First I want to say thanks for the many improvements.

I have few questions and observations about the radiation feature. I know is not complete, and parts has been there for some time.

I just started a new game due to ARM (Infernal robotics broken, put hold my program on hold). So I'm a bit concerned about the transition, once the radiation starts mattering.

The radiation seems too high. It's deadly around minmus, and its high pretty much anywhere else. I have high radiation on the launch pad. I suppose this would be adjusted.

So my kerbals are collecting pretty lethal doses. I hope their dose will be reset, before the version which introduces consequences.

Station/base placement - would be nice to have radiation adjusted version without consequences, so we can find the safe spots and relocate our bases/stations etc

The radiation hardness. How is this decided. I noticed some of the non stock pods seem to have very high rad hardness. What's the hardness of kerbal on EVA? Would be nice if hitchhiker has higher rad hardness, so it would make more sense to keep your crew in the living quarters, rather than lab/pod. Also shouldn't the KSPI lab have high rad hardness, since it has facility for working with radioactive materials. Also might need heavy, but safe pods in the future, or what I'd prefer, way to adjust protection by making pod heavier.

Fractal mentioned a few posts back that the radiation levels are going to be reexamined. In particular he wasn´t intend for minmus to be so deadly.

Thank merendel... it is there...

@PART[sensorAccelerometer]

{

!MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]

{

}

MODULE

{

name = FNSeismicProbe

rerunnable = true

}

Any other ideas??

part definitely only asks to log seismic data... not record events...

I have the same problem, all the code is there, I have MM installed, I started recording, switched to my impact vessel and made 4 small probes impact one by one, each time it said impact detected and can be collected. After all four I switched back to my main vessel and tried to collect data. It just flashed and I could for a split second see review data but it keeps vanishing like I can't collect it.

Thanks for the answer about thermal turbojets! I've looked at the reactor's numbers and this explained why antimatter reactors are so great, their temp gives them a great isp, and their wattage gives them an incredible thrust.

Now, it's great to be making nuclear fusion planes and whatnot, but my mad creations tend to be on the heavier side (upwards 250 tons), and they just seem to destroy any landing gear I place under them, particularly during landings, which is not ideal. Any ideas for landing gear that could survive to extra heavy loads?

On the subject of Microwave transmitters, is there a maximum output the transmitters can beam? I have a station at 100km orbit with 3 1-Gigawatt reactors on it, but any ship with a receiver can only pick up about 180MJ at maximum.

On the subject of Microwave transmitters, is there a maximum output the transmitters can beam? I have a station at 100km orbit with 3 1-Gigawatt reactors on it, but any ship with a receiver can only pick up about 180MJ at maximum.

Distance is going to be a negligible problem from a 100km orbit, such satellites move across the sky quickly however so orientation of the receiver is more of a problem. Geostationary satellites are nice because you can just point the receiver straight up to get excellent reception.

You need to make a copy of the seismic probe's part folder. Put it someplace safe so that it doesn't get overwritten by updates. You can rename the folder to impactorProbe if you like. Open the config file, change the name to something unique, impactorProbe is fine. Change the title and description so that you can identify which part is which in the vab.

Replace:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceExperiment

experimentID = seismicScan

experimentActionName = Log Seismic Data
resetActionName = Delete Data

useStaging = False
useActionGroups = True
hideUIwhenUnavailable = False

xmitDataScalar = 0.45
dataIsCollectable = True
collectActionName = Take Data
interactionRange = 1.2

rerunnable = True
}

with:

MODULE
{
name = FNSeismicProbe
rerunnable = true
}

Delete the science.cfg file. (You'll need to delete science.cfg each time you update the mod, as a new version will be placed in the warpfolder unless fractal decides to make the impactor a separate part, instead of overriding a stock part.)

Reload the game, and it "should" work.

Could I just edit the science.cfg to encompass both tests? So I could use one part for the seismic scan and the impact test? Or are the two mutually exclusive.

The foldable transmitter is significantly better than the normal one. But receivers don't matter at such close distances, if you plan to go interplanetary you should try to at least carry one of the big ones. It of course depends on your power output, if you have a 150GW station like me then even the small receiver is sufficient even at Jool but it's difficult to aim it in ARM since Infernal Robotics doesn't work.

Could I just edit the science.cfg to encompass both tests? So I could use one part for the seismic scan and the impact test? Or are the two mutually exclusive.

If you dig back in the thread you will find discussion on the impact experiment vs seismic scans. It is the way it is for balance reasons.

thanks for the feedback... using he Barkley resolution didn't have any effect. Neither did throwing Wil Wheaton into the warp Drive.

the problem is, as you can see in the second pic, is that the warp drive is OFF and he ship is still going at light speed. I activate the drive, and it jumps my speed, then deactivates and i'm still going the speed. there's no Dropping out of warp. Even setting up keys for the function does nothing. 7 is activate drive, 8 is deactivate, 7 increases speed, 8 does nothing.

So I have been loving the Vista engines now that I know how to use them. The thing is, they have been relying on reactors to power them since they are high part count ships and the multiple MW receivers really lag my comp down. It's a shame since I have such a nice MW Network. It wouldn't be such an issue if Infernal worked and I could just use 2 swiveling receivers.. and if I had a better computer. I think now with all of the angle calculations on the different receivers, and having the opening and closing animations going my framerate drops to about 30%. It also makes limiting power with the "reception" slider a bit of a hassle. I have about 600GW of power in my near Kerbin network so I try to keep it regulated. Thermal receivers work perfectly fine with my framerate.

So, I was thinking what is needed is an omnidirectional MW in line receiver (or near omnidirectional like the thermal receiver). It would be still be based in reality, and in fact could look really cool. Like a crystal prism with a solid (glowing?) center. Or maybe have it fold out? Maybe it would pick up certain axes better from different angles. It would cut down on on-screen animations and part count. It would have to be high up on the tech tree maybe experimental electrics or antimatter power.

Now, I don't have the skills to make this and I wouldn't know if FractalUK would have the time, or even be interested, but it would be amazing if somebody were to agree with me and be able to do this. I really think it's worth implimenting, would add a lot to the game, and I would download the heck out of it.

Please.

Edited by Atrius129

If you dig back in the thread you will find discussion on the impact experiment vs seismic scans. It is the way it is for balance reasons.

I think I have three points I can make.

1. IF I was concerned with balance I would be far more worried about my use of the Station Science Mod, as it is I am not so my personal concerns about balance are not an issue. It is after all my experience and so I will play it as I see fit.

2. The question was not about balance, it was about if there was a way to modify the parts cfg to encompass both tests with out having two separate parts. If there is a way I would like to know it so I can make the determination that it will ruin my game play experience. If it is not possible because the two tests are coded in a way as to make them mutually exclusive...then that is all that was needed to be said.

3. TBH it makes no sense to exclude on test type from the other. The seismic sensor would be quite capable of not only taking readings to determine tectonic movement or core movement...but it should also be capable of doing that over time for the impact test. It is incongruous that it can not do all the functions it should be capable of. And my Gamer OCD kicks in when things are not consistent with in the game world. (Yes I know...Warp Drive...but that is a different but acceptable incongruity.)

Please...do not take this as my being argumentative...I am not in any way upset about the comment. It is just....not what I asked. So if 2 can be answered...then please do. After all...the devs have their vision and I respect that, but it does not mean I have to abide by it. That is what mods do isn't...add functionality and change the vision of the game?

Edited by SyberSmoke

I think I have three points I can make.

1. IF I was concerned with balance I would be far more worried about my use of the Station Science Mod, as it is I am not so my personal concerns about balance are not an issue. It is after all my experience and so I will play it as I see fit.

2. The question was not about balance, it was about if there was a way to modify the parts cfg to encompass both tests with out having two separate parts. If there is a way I would like to know it so I can make the determination that it will ruin my game play experience. If it is not possible because the two tests are coded in a way as to make them mutually exclusive...then that is all that was needed to be said.

3. TBH it makes no sense to exclude on test type from the other. The seismic sensor would be quite capable of not only taking readings to determine tectonic movement or core movement...but it should also be capable of doing that over time for the impact test. It is incongruous that it can not do all the functions it should be capable of. And my Gamer OCD kicks in when things are not consistent with in the game world. (Yes I know...Warp Drive...but that is a different but acceptable incongruity.)

Please...do not take this as my being argumentative...I am not in any way upset about the comment. It is just....not what I asked. So if 2 can be answered...then please do. After all...the devs have their vision and I respect that, but it does not mean I have to abide by it. That is what mods do isn't...add functionality and change the vision of the game?

In the science cfg (or whatever it is now, I have an older version. Which ever contains stuff about FN Seismic Probe Experiments and starts with @PART[sensorAccelerometer]. It'll be a cfg file you can open in a text editor), replace it with the following:

{
MODULE
{
name = FNSeismicProbe
rerunnable = true
}
}

That removes the bit that removes the original seismic scan. You should then get the stock experiment back.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

I disagree. In general, sending a seismometer alone to an arbitrary celestial body is useless - most places you could visit would not be geologically active so sending a seismometer alone is completely pointless - it will provide you with no useful data whatsoever. There may be a few places that both options should be useable side by side but they are the exception rather than the rule.

I think it is therefore better to first cover the more general case, exceptions can be dealt with later. It is, afterall, an extremely easy change to make for anyone who wants both options.

The question was not about balance, it was about if there was a way to modify the parts cfg to encompass both tests with out having two separate parts.

From WarpPlugin/science.cfg remove the following lines:

!MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]
{
}

Those remove the default experiment. Alternatively, B9 has a sensor part that integrates all stock sensors into one part.

In the science cfg (or whatever it is now, I have an older version. Which ever contains stuff about FN Seismic Probe Experiments and starts with @PART[sensorAccelerometer]. It'll be a cfg file you can open in a text editor), replace it with the following:
{
MODULE
{
name = FNSeismicProbe
rerunnable = true
}
}

That removes the bit that removes the original seismic scan. You should then get the stock experiment back.

Ahhh, Ok. So this will add the new scan but keep the old scan as an option? Thank you. If I did not understand in an earlier post I am sorry about being a pain.

As for later posts, I will take a look at B9's stuff. I have been frustrated with the Science Jr. module...it is kind of a pain to put into my designs at time so a unit that does it all...may be worth looking at.

Ahhh, Ok. So this will add the new scan but keep the old scan as an option? Thank you.

Well, if my skills at Module Manager config writings are correct, then yes - you'll get the option to do either experiment.

FWIW, B9s science packages don't contain either the materials bay or mystery goo - just the various little sensors (barometer, thermometer, atmosphere sensor, seismic sensor) so you'd still need to include the materials bay in your designs somehow. It does cut down on part count though and is a lot easier to use than finding and clicking on all the separate sensors, so it's worth a look in any case.

Ok folks... I need your help!

I already did the <50 ton <70 part grand tour with KSP Interstellar... in only 15 days. I need some new challenge. I'm having a hard time thinking of something. Anyone have anything for me? Already have my mining base and science base designed and operating. I still can't quite get happy with how my orbital fuel station looks, but that's a trivial matter.

I guess I'm just losing motivation. It really makes me sad, because I love KSP.

~Steve

No, they will beam all available power. In transmission and relay mode, array area/size and orientation have no impact either.