[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Slam two asteroids into one another. Crash an asteroid into KSP. Crash an asteroid into every planet. Start modding :)

Asteroid smashing... ok.. that's brilliant. But wait, can asteroids even be destroyed? I guess it's worth a shot!

~Steve

Is there a way to turn Electric Charge into Thermal Power?

Probably with microwave transmitter, not locally though. Would be really nice to be able to produce MW and Thermal from solar panels on the same vessel.

Just like the science lab, it will add retroactive science when you go back to it.

Okay. It didn't seem to be doing that for me yesterday, but I'll try again when I progress that far in career mode. (Recently restarted to try remotetech.) Thanks!

Is there a way to stop this mod from bugging me to update the techtree? I just lost 2 hours of progress when I hit the wrong button on that because I am using a dif tech tree and it reset it back to the interstellar tree.

Is there a way to stop this mod from bugging me to update the techtree? I just lost 2 hours of progress when I hit the wrong button on that because I am using a dif tech tree and it reset it back to the interstellar tree.

Not currently. You can completely ignore it, however. You might want to talk to the maker of your modded tree, since this is the interstellar mod thread.

Probably with microwave transmitter, not locally though. Would be really nice to be able to produce MW and Thermal from solar panels on the same vessel.

I second this. Any plans to make this happen, and if not, is there an easy way of repurposing or copy/paste change a part to do this? And if so what would be a good baseline so as not to be too overpowered?

I was actually thinking it would be nice to have a solar thermal power system, use mirrors to heat a central point on the craft and then transfer that to the generator.

You would think it would be more efficient then using photovoltaic panels....

Asteroid smashing... ok.. that's brilliant. But wait, can asteroids even be destroyed? I guess it's worth a shot!

~Steve

Well they are a standard part even if they have a rather high impact tolerance, you smash em togeather fast enough and they'll break like anything else. The part file says 80m/s for crash tolerance although its possibly that gets modified by whatever system sets the size when they spawn. I do know that at least some roids will survive landing on kerbin because terminal is slower than their impact rating.

Just like the science lab, it will add retroactive science when you go back to it.

I have one in Kerbin-synchronous orbit that says it's generating something in the range of 0.9 science/day. I've never actually seen it produce science. Are there any common gotchas or known mod conflicts to check for that would keep it from working? (This save is still on KSP 0.23 and Interstellar 0.10.3 because Infernal Robotics.)

I'm getting some odd behaviors or bugs (possibly interactions with realfuels, but I can't seem to find the relevant configs that cause these two mods to work together).

Firstly, the vista always consumes 101.80 LiquidH2 per second no matter the throttle setting. I gather from the fluff that it is meant to consume constant power, D and T, but H2 should depend on throttle setting, the net result is it's merely an okay engine, a bit better than the chemical ones but that's about it.

Secondly, thermal rocket + ground based nuclear plant + keosynchronous relay is giving me obscene thrusts for a thermal rocket engine. The 0.625m engine on the small thermal receiver is producing 1600kN. Is a max power a feature still to come or is my install bugged?

I'm getting some odd behaviors or bugs (possibly interactions with realfuels, but I can't seem to find the relevant configs that cause these two mods to work together).

Firstly, the vista always consumes 101.80 LiquidH2 per second no matter the throttle setting. I gather from the fluff that it is meant to consume constant power, D and T, but H2 should depend on throttle setting, the net result is it's merely an okay engine, a bit better than the chemical ones but that's about it.

Secondly, thermal rocket + ground based nuclear plant + keosynchronous relay is giving me obscene thrusts for a thermal rocket engine. The 0.625m engine on the small thermal receiver is producing 1600kN. Is a max power a feature still to come or is my install bugged?

I think ground based nuclear plants are a bit overpowered right now.

I appear to be missing my 23.5 tech.

I just started a new save up for 23.5. I am fairly sure I choose KSP Intersteller for my tech tree, however when I started the game it asked me to update the tech tree. I updated, closed KSP, then reopened the program and it asked me again 2 or 3 times. Eventually it stopped prompting me, I did notice some of the 23.5 changes, for example Orange tanks being unlocked in "Heavier rocketry", but none of the new tech appears to be showing up. I did not really notice it until I got to "Actuators" and it had no tech items in the folder

aP9UpgS.png

Did I choose the wrong tech tree when I started? I used to have a 0.9.2 of Interstellar installed when I was on 23.0 but I deleted all folders except the Squad folder in my GameData folder when I updated everything to 23.5. I currently have the following other mods installed:

Deadly Reentry 4.6

Toolbar 1.7.1

Enhanced Navball 1.2

Docking Port Alignment 3.01

TAC Fuel Balancer 2.3.0.2

Kerbal Alarm Clock 2.7.3.0

MechJeb 2.2.0.0 (MechJeb's tech does show up in the tree)

This might be the dummest question ever... But where the hell do I view how much KSPI Science I got?

Also for some reason I can't seem to turn on the Nuclear Reactor, after EVA shutting it down. And how the hell does radiation work? I am just one big question mark over here. And yes I have read the wiki. https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki

Please someone help me :o

Edited by Sokar408

I can't seem to turn on the Nuclear Reactor, after EVA shutting it down.

Fission reactors (ones that need EVA for shutdown/startup) has to cool down for some time after a mid=mission shutdown. This is intended, I think, to simulate decay heating.

Fission reactors (ones that need EVA for shutdown/startup) has to cool down for some time after a mid=mission shutdown. This is intended, I think, to simulate decay heating.

As far as I can see its not cooling further

I appear to be missing my 23.5 tech.

I just started a new save up for 23.5. I am fairly sure I choose KSP Intersteller for my tech tree, however when I started the game it asked me to update the tech tree. I updated, closed KSP, then reopened the program and it asked me again 2 or 3 times. Eventually it stopped prompting me, I did notice some of the 23.5 changes, for example Orange tanks being unlocked in "Heavier rocketry", but none of the new tech appears to be showing up. I did not really notice it until I got to "Actuators" and it had no tech items in the folder

http://i.imgur.com/aP9UpgS.png

Did I choose the wrong tech tree when I started? I used to have a 0.9.2 of Interstellar installed when I was on 23.0 but I deleted all folders except the Squad folder in my GameData folder when I updated everything to 23.5. I currently have the following other mods installed:

Deadly Reentry 4.6

Toolbar 1.7.1

Enhanced Navball 1.2

Docking Port Alignment 3.01

TAC Fuel Balancer 2.3.0.2

Kerbal Alarm Clock 2.7.3.0

MechJeb 2.2.0.0 (MechJeb's tech does show up in the tree)

edit:

Delete tree.cfg in your save's folder. Choose the interstellar tree on treeloader, and then click to update the tree on the top right window prompt. Exit and restart the game.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Beamed power is a gamechanger, yes. Thermal rockets give insane amount of TWR, especially when using LFO. I remember having a relay network and 4 unapgraded 3.75 fusion generators (2 round kirbin, one round mun and one at minmus), the 3.75 nozzle was giving me 18MN trust when using LFO (burns fuel like crazy though). Had to limit the nozzle at 30% using only liquid, so don't fall apart.

Real fuels changes the behavior of resource consumption and add a thrust to isp relationship. The mod are incompatible on a very basic level, not to mention the conflicts in gameplay experience they are trying to create. You are really trying to use two mods that change the way the game works in opposed directions.

Either you want realism based on existing technological limitations, or you want speculative future technologies. You'll need to choose one if you aren't will to put up with idiosyncrasies that the combination provides.

Real fuels changes the behavior of resource consumption and add a thrust to isp relationship. The mod are incompatible on a very basic level, not to mention the conflicts in gameplay experience they are trying to create. You are really trying to use two mods that change the way the game works in opposed directions.

Either you want realism based on existing technological limitations, or you want speculative future technologies. You'll need to choose one if you aren't will to put up with idiosyncrasies that the combination provides.

They're not incompatible at all, there is no reason that Interstellar and Real Fuels should be mutually exclusive in any way. In fact it is one of the main mods I've strived to maintain the ability to be compatible with.

Indeed, it's quite possible to limit yourself to the early interstellar techs for e.g. NTRs, ISRU etc, then with the combination of heat mechanics and precoolers have solely a realism extension if that's what appeals to you.

I'm not sure why the DT Vista doesn't working with LH2 though, I will try to investigate.

Edited by Fractal_UK

edit:

Delete tree.cfg in your save's folder. Choose the interstellar tree on treeloader, and then click to update the tree on the top right window prompt. Exit and restart the game.

Tried it 3 times, still don't have any of the new tech showing up. I also checked the cfg file, I definitely have the actuators node

NODE
{
name = node5_actuators
techID = actuators
pos = -1043,983.7364,-1
icon = GENERIC
cost = 160
title = Actuators
description = Perfecting the art of making things mobile, without the explicit use of explosives. Our engineers assure us, this is actually a good thing.
anyParent = True
hideIfEmpty = False
parents = node4_advConstruction
PARTS
{
name = GrapplingDevice
}
}

Also I checked the original .cfg and the one you had me delete in a diff program, the files where identical.

The title screen says I am definitely on 23.5 and I have the time accel bar from the KSC screen. I think I may have something wrong with my Sqad assets folder, I will try a full re-install of KSP tomorrow.

They're not incompatible at all, there is no reason that Interstellar and Real Fuels should be mutually exclusive in any way. In fact it is one of the main mods I've strived to maintain the ability to be compatible with.

Indeed, it's quite possible to limit yourself to the early interstellar techs for e.g. NTRs, ISRU etc, then with the combination of heat mechanics and precoolers have solely a realism extension if that's what appeals to you.

I'm not sure why the DT Vista doesn't working with LH2 though, I will try to investigate.

Well then, I guess I was talking out me @#$ again. Sounds about right. It is my speciality. I saw the listed unit conversion change in the RF thread and assumed that would have an effect on the stock unit assumptions in KSPI.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Feature Request: could you please offload the science multipliers into a config file, instead of having them hardcoded?

I'm currently playing with Alternis Kerbol enabled, and the effort/reward ratio is way off for some places. I've also thrown in some PlanetFactory stuff: haven't been to them yet, but I suspect they will give no science at all.