[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

The point is that A generator must be attached to a thermal source in order for the generator to function, not that each generator must be attached a reactor (the inline thermals work) or that each reactor must be attached to a generator to produce power from said reactor. As for why you'd use a inline receiver, well it's it inline, so that allows more options for ship design. It may not be the most efficient, but it does work.

What this means is if you need 3 reactors, you only need one generator, not one generator for each reactor, but the generator must be attached to one of the reactors or a thermal receiver.

See my videos in my sig if anyone is unclear about how power generation works. It can be confusing.

O.O I didn't knew about that you need only one generator. If I have giant antimatter reactors (to power engines and warp drive) and smallest nuclear reactor with smallest generator (for other electrical needs), will it generate electricity at maximum efficiency, or I need giant generator attached to one of giant antimatter reactors to have maximum efficiency in generating power?

EDIT:

You NEED one generator per reactor, as generators can't produce more than certain amoumt of power:

Aqs8NGj.jpg

Uranium reactor is going at full power, first antimatter reactor goes at 99.999% and other two are idle.

Here is my test file: http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/59109785/file.html

I used only Interstellar to build ship. Ship manifest is needed for resources, and I used TweakScale to resize radiators.

Here is same ship but with generators attached to every reactor.

f7WvLj4.jpg

Here are 3 AM reactors working at full power. Warp drive draws all power. Notice how amount of AM and Exotic Matter are changing much faster.

Also radiators are heating up here.

Edited by raxo2222

O.O I didn't knew about that you need only one generator. If I have giant antimatter reactors (to power engines and warp drive) and smallest nuclear reactor with smallest generator (for other electrical needs), will it generate electricity at maximum efficiency, or I need giant generator attached to one of giant antimatter reactors to have maximum efficiency in generating power?

EDIT:

You NEED one generator per reactor, as generators can't produce more than certain amoumt of power:

http://i.imgur.com/Aqs8NGj.jpg

Uranium reactor is going at full power, first antimatter reactor goes at 99.999% and other two are idle.

Here is my test file: http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/59109785/file.html

I used only Interstellar to build ship. Ship manifest is needed for resources, and I used TweakScale to resize radiators.

Here is same ship but with generators attached to every reactor.

http://i.imgur.com/f7WvLj4.jpg

Here are 3 AM reactors working at full power. Warp drive draws all power. Notice how amount of AM and Exotic Matter are changing much faster.

Also radiators are heating up here.

Yeah, I'm a dummy. I was thinking of thermal nozzles not having to be attached directly to functioning reactors. It's been a while, my goof.

Hey, you are using my plugin! :)

Yeah, I'm a dummy. I was thinking of thermal nozzles not having to be attached directly to functioning reactors. It's been a while, my goof.

Hey, you are using my plugin! :)

Well thermal engines must have to be connected to generators.

And yeah, science alert is nice, but there are too much experiments to click them manually :P

I have like 90 mods XD

I have this realistic tech tree lite ;)

Well thermal engines must have to be connected to generators.

And yeah, science alert is nice, but there are too much experiments to click them manually :P

I have like 90 mods XD

I have this realistic tech tree lite ;)

No, we found this out a while back. There are some pictures I posted. You simply have to attach the nozzles to a thermal source, and they will function, whether that source is active or not so long as there is some active thermal source on the vessel. I found this out with some nozzles connected to inactive antimatter reactors, that still worked with only a fusion reactor active on he vessel. Was back before .11 I think.

No, we found this out a while back. There are some pictures I posted. You simply have to attach the nozzles to a thermal source, and they will function, whether that source is active or not so long as there is some active thermal source on the vessel. I found this out with some nozzles connected to inactive antimatter reactors, that still worked with only a fusion reactor active on he vessel. Was back before .11 I think.

Hmm then it could change:

BXnyqRJ.jpg It seem to draw power from only one reactor

If someone can point me or confirm my observations, I'd appreciate it. My Science Lab's status is "Researching" with two kerbals and 5MW in a +16k Mun orbit and the science rate is stated as .342/Day. Is this accumulated somewhere? How do I know if I'm at the "optimal altitude" or that my research is effective.

I'm worried because I've seen a status message appear when coming out of warp that "zero science has been added..."

If someone can point me or confirm my observations, I'd appreciate it. My Science Lab's status is "Researching" with two kerbals and 5MW in a +16k Mun orbit and the science rate is stated as .342/Day. Is this accumulated somewhere? How do I know if I'm at the "optimal altitude" or that my research is effective.

I'm worried because I've seen a status message appear when coming out of warp that "zero science has been added..."

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the pittance that science labs give you. That said, science labs prefer being landed, preferably somewhere with a large science multiplier. But that basically means stranding your kerbals off god knows where while you bring back multiple times that from a one off mission.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

I can't seem to get my pre cooler to work. I just over heat and explode. And when I click on my precooler it gives me two statuses. Is it supposed to be that way? Either way. I can't make a space plane anymore because I explode at 25000m. Please help

I would love to see if this is an issue, as well. I too keep losing my engines, even though I am using Pre-Coolers.

EDIT: I am not even getting two statuses. When I right click on them in flight it simply says "offline", with no option to toggle them on. Nor is there any sort of option to change their status in the Hangar.

Edited by BlazeIV

[modedit: OP quote snipped]

I can't seem to get my pre cooler to work. I just over heat and explode. And when I click on my precooler it gives me two statuses. Is it supposed to be that way? Either way. I can't make a space plane anymore because I explode at 25000m. Please help

Can you get us a screenshot, it sounds like a bad install.

I just figured out why Interstellar had issues with my 64bit KSP Install. Interstellar comes bundled with 3 different .dll for the OpenResourceSystem.

I deleted all of them beside OpenResourceSystem_1_1_0.dll

Now everything runs pretty fine.

Come back in 3 days and you'll get one science point at your current rate of accumulation. The points will accrue and wait for you to collect them - so you don't need to come back regularly. I have yet to find a chart that shows how the science rate changes based on celestial body or distance from that body. That might be a good experiment for someone to perform.

I dug into the source code and here's how the Science Lab science rate is calculated (and I'm paraphrasing not going verbatum):

Rate = BaseScienceRate * BodyScienceMultiplier * GlobalRateMultiplier * CrewStupidityMultiplier / sqrt( AltitudeMultiplier)

BaseScienceRate is a constant at 0.1

BodyScienceMultiplier is as follows:

Kerbin = 1 (landed = 2)

Mun, Minmus = 2.5 (landed = 5)

Duna, Ike, Gilly = 5 (landed = 10)

Eve = 5 (landed = 12.5)

Dres = 7.5 (landed = 15)

Jool, Pol, Bop = 10 (landed = 20)

Tylo = 10 (landed = 30)

Laythe, Vall = 12 (landed = 24)

Kerbol = 15 (landed = LOL)

Eelo, Moho = 20 (landed = 40)

GlobalRateMultiplier = is 1 unless you have less than a full crew or less than full power

CrewStupidityMultiplier = 1.5 - (( crew member 1 stupidity + crew member 2 stupidity ) / 2)

AltitudeMultiplier = Max of ( Altitude (in meters) / Celestial body radius (in meters) ) or 1 [will be 1 unless further than planet radius away from the surface]...so optimal orbit altitude is the radius of the body away from the surface

Here's some spreadsheet math:

Assumptions: surface = 3m, perfect crew (no stupidity at all)

Kerbin - surface - 0.300 science per day

Kerbin - 113Km orbit - 0.150 science per day (decreases after ~600km)

Kerbin - 588Km orbit - 0.150 science per day

Kerbin - 700Km orbit - 0.139 science per day

Mun - surface - 0.750 science per day

Mun - 16Km orbit - 0.375 science per day (decreases after ~200km)

Moho - surface - 6.000 science per day

Moho - 100km - 3.000 science per day (decreases after ~250km)

Can anyone confirm/extrapolate based off what they're seeing? I guess it pays to NOT be in orbit.

It appears you could be earning about 10x science per day by geting a lab on Duna or Ike...or 15x on Dres and I have a Dres launch window coming up soon...hmmm...whom shall I strand?

Edited by m_j_lyons
Dug into the source code...

Is there an easy way to log data from Interstellar instruments to a graph? Graphotron 2000 is out of date and didn't work regardless, Telemachus doesn't seem to see Interstellar. Is there a different tool (or perhaps a plugin to Telemachus) that will store the data?

Specifically, I'm looking for a way to store Elevation and Antimatter Flux over time on the same graph, so I can send unmanned probes to scan for ideal antimatter station orbits.

Thanks!

Is there an easy way to log data from Interstellar instruments to a graph? Graphotron 2000 is out of date and didn't work regardless, Telemachus doesn't seem to see Interstellar. Is there a different tool (or perhaps a plugin to Telemachus) that will store the data?

Specifically, I'm looking for a way to store Elevation and Antimatter Flux over time on the same graph, so I can send unmanned probes to scan for ideal antimatter station orbits.

Thanks!

Put the probe into an eccentric obit at 0 elevation. Right click the instrument and watch it as the probe increases alt, when the flux starts going down after going up, you've found the peak alt. Circularize your orbit at that alt.

Put the probe into an eccentric obit at 0 elevation. Right click the instrument and watch it as the probe increases alt, when the flux starts going down after going up, you've found the peak alt. Circularize your orbit at that alt.

Well, sure, I COULD do that, but I like having the instrument recordings.

I'd love to have the impactor sensor as a separate mod...

As that isn't an option as yet, is it technically possible to only have the impactor science sensor from the interstellar Mod available without all the other parts, resources and other games changes that comes with Interstellar?

I checked the zip and found only 2 cfg files refer to the FNSeismicProbeExperiment part and I'm guessing the necessary dll would be needed at a bare minimum. Or is everything in the plugin so intertwined that this partial install would never work?

I'd love to have the impactor sensor as a separate mod...

As that isn't an option as yet, is it technically possible to only have the impactor science sensor from the interstellar Mod available without all the other parts, resources and other games changes that comes with Interstellar?

I checked the zip and found only 2 cfg files refer to the FNSeismicProbeExperiment part and I'm guessing the necessary dll would be needed at a bare minimum. Or is everything in the plugin so intertwined that this partial install would never work?

You need the part or a part that uses the impactor module and the .dll.

You need the part or a part that uses the impactor module and the .dll.

Would the .dll crash stuff if that was all that's included? Or maybe complain that it's missing a stack of other config files? If not then great! Do I need to worry about other "interstellar" changes the DLL might have an a game, even without all the parts?

Thanks!

I don't know how these charts were made, but someone on here posted them a while ago.

Spoilers!

http://imgur.com/a/g313g#0

Whoa, post #10,000. Congrats guys. Very impressive.

Edit: Why doesn't the "[imgur]" tag ever work for me anymore? It is supposed to look like "[imgur]http://imgur.com/a/g313g[*/imgur]" but without the "*" right?

Edited by Atrius129