[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

http://pastebin.com/8FYckbRC

Don't see too many error's honestly

I see one thing obviously wrong, one thing probably wrong, and one that I'm not sure about.

Obviously wrong: You've got two copies of ModuleManager loading. Delete the 2.1.5 version. Probably not enough to cause problems since they know about each other and one takes control, but still one easily squashed potential issue.

I'm not sure why it's complaining about MMI_Kethane.dll, but it saying that that's an invalid format indicates something's probably wrong there.

Finally, the one I'm not sure about, the log is reporting that you're running v 0.10.3 of Interstellar, which isn't the most recent version, so probably isn't the patched version mentioned.

Edit: the patched version does in fact report itself as 0.10.3.

Edited by Eric S

I see one thing obviously wrong, one thing probably wrong, and one that I'm not sure about.

Obviously wrong: You've got two copies of ModuleManager loading. Delete the 2.1.5 version. Probably not enough to cause problems since they know about each other and one takes control, but still one easily squashed potential issue.

I'm not sure why it's complaining about MMI_Kethane.dll, but it saying that that's an invalid format indicates something's probably wrong there.

Finally, the one I'm not sure about, the log is reporting that you're running v 0.10.3 of Interstellar, which isn't the most recent version, so probably isn't the patched version mentioned.

Edit: the patched version does in fact report itself as 0.10.3.

Deleted the other ModuleManager version, no luck. If you want to see for yourself just load the files i listed above. It's the one ship sitting on Laythe called: "Event Horizon" (Insert bad movie puns here)

Deleted the other ModuleManager version, no luck. If you want to see for yourself just load the files i listed above. It's the one ship sitting on Laythe called: "Event Horizon" (Insert bad movie puns here)

I have loaded a similar ship in my game without issue. I've tried to load your save, but it just crashes on me and I don't want to take the time to debug it.

You have one of two issues.

1. Your fuel flow is broken.

2. You don't have enough power.

On the power issue, I went back and looked at your video again. You aren't receiving 2.5 GW of power to your vessel. The DT vista requires 2.5GW to work. You need to set your station to relay and/or transmit, not to receive and transmit. I know my voice is hella boring to listen to, but the videos have all the information you need to know to properly setup and route power. If setting it to relay doesn't work, then you simply need to wait until the both kerbin and your vessel are line of sight to your station and try again. Or send out some relays.

As to the fuel issue, there is nothing about kspi that would cause your fuel issue. The worst that could happen is the ISRUs refuse to refill your vessel.

http://pastebin.com/8FYckbRC

Don't see too many error's honestly

If you want to take a look personally here is my save folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u99iilbwt0zuwmm/AAAKGs_k6wQwvvoZuOZ2ztJMa

Mods in place are:

KAS (latest)

Kethane (latest)

Interstellar (latest experimental patch)

Procedural Fairings (latest)

MechJeb2 (latest)

RemoteTech2 (Parts folder only since it's broken)

I (and others) have been running RemoteTech2 without issues with .24; you might want to post any issues you have with that on that thread as I doubt anyone is aware of any compatibility issues with that mod.

I have loaded a similar ship in my game without issue. I've tried to load your save, but it just crashes on me and I don't want to take the time to debug it.

You have one of two issues.

1. Your fuel flow is broken.

2. You don't have enough power.

On the power issue, I went back and looked at your video again. You aren't receiving 2.5 GW of power to your vessel. The DT vista requires 2.5GW to work. You need to set your station to relay and/or transmit, not to receive and transmit. I know my voice is hella boring to listen to, but the videos have all the information you need to know to properly setup and route power. If setting it to relay doesn't work, then you simply need to wait until the both kerbin and your vessel are line of sight to your station and try again. Or send out some relays.

As to the fuel issue, there is nothing about kspi that would cause your fuel issue. The worst that could happen is the ISRUs refuse to refill your vessel.

I honestly don't know what to do then. I have made a geosynchronous set of relays around Kerbin long before any of this. This ship was receiving a generous supply of power from Kerbin and was able to beam the energy perfectly to the ship below, I was able to get up and land to different locations with much ease (so long as the parent ship was above it in the sky). I had landed and accidentally updated from .24 to .24.2. As soon as that took place everything stopped and the ship wouldn't budge. I've deleted all the installation files and and reloaded with no luck, and I can't roll back to an older version simply because the save system won't allow it.

Honestly though thank you, you have helped me more then I had ever expected and i am grateful for that. I appreciated the fact that you were willing to put your own time aside to help me out, thank you. I can only hope I didn't cause you too much frustration.

I (and others) have been running RemoteTech2 without issues with .24; you might want to post any issues you have with that on that thread as I doubt anyone is aware of any compatibility issues with that mod.

I suppose I could give it another try, last time I had it installed it had line of site issues and wouldn't pick up the signal which caused a lot of my ships to get destroyed.

Suggestion:

Why not let the antimatter storage tanks explode (as antimatter) during a crash? The antimatter explode only if the tank magnetic charge drops to zero... but should also explode when the tank blows up during an impact.

I'm trying to figure this on the source file AntimatterStorageTank.cs, the explosion event is called doExplode() but i dont know how is called the instruction (if there is one) that check if that part (the tank) sustain a destructive impact.

Should be something like that:

if (something_bad_happens_to_the_antimatter_tanks = true) {

doExplode();

}

Anyone tried to extract water from laythes oceans?? How can this be accomplished with the cumbersome parts available? Don't know why we cant just have a part that simply extracts resources and is much smaller than the massive inline refinery and can be placed inline unlike the ridiculous radial refinery. I have been trying to go over a few designs but can't make anything i'm happy with using these two parts as the inline refinery is just too big and heavy, while the other one can't be placed anywhere that doesn't look ridiculous :(

So last night I was goofing off with the plasma thrusters and wasn't getting very far on liquid fuel, so I decided to strap on a xenon tank to get a little extra thrust on launch, since it provides higher thrust with lower ISP. Too much of both, it turns out...the craft took off very fast (which was not unexpected since it was getting 2.9GW of power and consisted of a probe core, a small fuel tank, a couple receivers, a radiator, and the thruster). It was fast enough to strip the small deployable radiators I had attached to the side clean off the craft. . What was unexpected was that it burned up the entire 700 unit xenon tank I had attached in less than a second.

That seems...excessive, to say the least. Is that normal for a plasma thruster? I know its a smallish tank but at that ISP I would have expected it to last at least a little while.

So I had an idea for a water extractor which would be a rover style vehicle that would drive into the shore, submerge itself and then use a thruster to get back out of the water. This is what I came up with:

aDRLD6x.png

Only problem is when I electrolyse the water it doesnt turn into liquid fuel and oxidizer? I've never done this before so am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? Thanks.

So I had an idea for a water extractor which would be a rover style vehicle that would drive into the shore, submerge itself and then use a thruster to get back out of the water. This is what I came up with:

http://i.imgur.com/aDRLD6x.png

Only problem is when I electrolyse the water it doesnt turn into liquid fuel and oxidizer? I've never done this before so am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? Thanks.

If your tanks are not stack mounted to the refinery you will need to connect fuel lines, just as you would for non-stack mounted lox fuel tanks on a normal rocket. When in doubt, connect a fuel line backwards between the tank and irsu. (from the tank to the irsu.) The irsu can store enough water internally to convert to fuel. You don't need them unless you just like them.

So last night I was goofing off with the plasma thrusters and wasn't getting very far on liquid fuel, so I decided to strap on a xenon tank to get a little extra thrust on launch, since it provides higher thrust with lower ISP. Too much of both, it turns out...the craft took off very fast (which was not unexpected since it was getting 2.9GW of power and consisted of a probe core, a small fuel tank, a couple receivers, a radiator, and the thruster). It was fast enough to strip the small deployable radiators I had attached to the side clean off the craft. . What was unexpected was that it burned up the entire 700 unit xenon tank I had attached in less than a second.

That seems...excessive, to say the least. Is that normal for a plasma thruster? I know its a smallish tank but at that ISP I would have expected it to last at least a little while.

xenon and monoprop are both high thrust and low isp. I don't generally use either because the tanks are heavier, but mostly because water is available in every system to refine to lox.

Remember that there are two different types of plasma engines. The high thrust thrusters and the more balanced regular engines. You should be able to leave kerbin without having to deploy radiators. They still continue to function somewhat even when not deployed, and the convection boost helps a lot.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Anyone tried to extract water from laythes oceans?? How can this be accomplished with the cumbersome parts available? Don't know why we cant just have a part that simply extracts resources and is much smaller than the massive inline refinery and can be placed inline unlike the ridiculous radial refinery. I have been trying to go over a few designs but can't make anything i'm happy with using these two parts as the inline refinery is just too big and heavy, while the other one can't be placed anywhere that doesn't look ridiculous :(

I tried my hand at making a heavy duty landing gear / extractor part, but I'm no artist so I gave up. If anyone has an openly available model that would fit I would gladly work one into my version.

For now, I personally use an MM patch to add extraction to the inline refinery. Both the extractor models have annoying problems with their models.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

If your tanks are not stack mounted to the refinery you will need to connect fuel lines, just as you would for non-stack mounted lox fuel tanks on a normal rocket. When in doubt, connect a fuel line backwards between the tank and irsu. (from the tank to the irsu.) The irsu can store enough water internally to convert to fuel. You don't need them unless you just like them.

Again, much appreciate your support wavefunction. I tried to do as you say, I connected a fuel line from the refinery to the fuel tank and it still was not electrolysing the water into liquid fuel and oxidiser. Here is a screenshot of the config:

Tl6ejZd.png

The intention was with the water tanks is to extract lots of water from the ocean of laythe, move onto the shore, dock with a spaceplane, electrolyse the water into liquid fuel and oxidiser to fill up the fuel tanks on the spaceplane and then use the spaceplane to dock with a spacestation and refuel everything...

xenon and monoprop are both high thrust and low isp. I don't generally use either because the tanks are heavier, but mostly because water is available in every system to refine to lox.

Remember that there are two different types of plasma engines. The high thrust thrusters and the more balanced regular engines. You should be able to leave kerbin without having to deploy radiators. They still continue to function somewhat even when not deployed, and the convection boost helps a lot.

I was questioning the rate at which it burned the xenon. The plasma thruster on liquid fuel mode didn't have enough thrust to budge the craft but a t200 tank was going to last seemingly forever. The xenon got enough thrust to take off super fast but burned off 700 units of xenon in a split second (the xenon tank was depleted before the craft hit 1500m). I get that xenon is high thrust to low isp but if that's intentional behavior xenon is pretty much useless as a fuel. Who wants to pack 10 xenon tanks for a 9 second burn?

Again, much appreciate your support wavefunction. I tried to do as you say, I connected a fuel line from the refinery to the fuel tank and it still was not electrolysing the water into liquid fuel and oxidiser. Here is a screenshot of the config:

http://i.imgur.com/Tl6ejZd.png

The intention was with the water tanks is to extract lots of water from the ocean of laythe, move onto the shore, dock with a spaceplane, electrolyse the water into liquid fuel and oxidiser to fill up the fuel tanks on the spaceplane and then use the spaceplane to dock with a spacestation and refuel everything...

Okay I'm official retarded you spelled it out for me wavefunction and I still got it wrong. Connecting a fuel line from the tank to the refinery (not the other way around) worked a charm. Thanks mate!

EDIT

Thought I would show what I came up with for something that might work:

U8hdvQS.png

Features:

1. Wheels to move towards shore and gently submerge the craft

2. Extracts large amounts of water

3. Moves back onto shore with use of a high mounted thruster (to ensure no damage occurs during submersion)

4. Articulated docking port to dock with a spacecraft nomatter what the surface terrain or height is (to within reasonable limits)

5. Electrolysis water and fills up the spacecrafts transport tanks with fuel

Not exactly the water bird SSTO I wanted but it will do considering the limits of the 2 parts in the interstellar mod... Anyone who could model a small extractor would definitely receive rep from me!

Edited by Ice30

I was questioning the rate at which it burned the xenon. The plasma thruster on liquid fuel mode didn't have enough thrust to budge the craft but a t200 tank was going to last seemingly forever. The xenon got enough thrust to take off super fast but burned off 700 units of xenon in a split second (the xenon tank was depleted before the craft hit 1500m). I get that xenon is high thrust to low isp but if that's intentional behavior xenon is pretty much useless as a fuel. Who wants to pack 10 xenon tanks for a 9 second burn?

If it were up to me, electric engines would only burn the same fuels at ion engines, thermal turbojets would only use atmosphere and liquid fuel, and thermal nozzles would only use lox. And I'd take an axe to the aluminum and methylox rockets. But kspi is founded upon at least the appearance of futuristic realism. If you saw the code that generate those numbers, you'd see that a lot of care went into the hows and whys. Even if I don't personally know them.

/queuenerdfight

I actually did some thinking about it and compared numbers between the stock ion and plasma thruster...and although the burn rate seems higher than it should be, turns out not by much. If my very non rocket scientist math on the subject is decent enough in practice to hold any merit, xenon is a horrible choice for plasma thrusters.

Bear with me here...an ion engine burns .485 xenon a second in operation at an isp of 4200 for 2kn of thrust. Meaning you get 1443 seconds of burn at full throttle with a 700 unit tank...just as a crude performance reference multiply the burn times the thrust and you get 2886 kns (Ihave no idea if that's an actual unit of measurement, only using it as a reference here). I was supplying 2.5GW of power to the craft. With the.1.25m thruster that translates to 214kn max thrust. At the same isp we would expect.it to take 13.5 seconds to generate the same 2886 kns of thrust. But its not, the isp is only 1/3 that of the ion, so we can only reasonably expect a maximum burn of 4.5s from 700 units of xenon. Which sucks at a cost of 3k a tank!

I realize my math here is crude but I am admittedly no rocket scientist yet, lol. I might just for the sake of argument go through later and plug all this into the formulas and see how the math really breaks down but although it still seems a bit fast its nowhere near as unreasonable as I first thought. Its just that xenon is a poor choice of fuel for anything except a short kick in the pants.

Any idea why I'm having trouble mounting the ISRU refinery (pictured above) on the snap at the bottom of the refinery in the VAB (as apposed to the side snap)? I've had this problem before but just worked around it, but decided to ask the question this time?

Any idea why I'm having trouble mounting the ISRU refinery (pictured above) on the snap at the bottom of the refinery in the VAB (as apposed to the side snap)? I've had this problem before but just worked around it, but decided to ask the question this time?

It's a problem with the game from what I understand. The hub has a similar problem I believe.

It's a problem with the game from what I understand. The hub has a similar problem I believe.

I see. Too bad I'd probably stand more chance at programming another extractor than modelling otherwise I would make one. I've found the lack of an extractor (with refining features removed) annoying because I have to use these two annoying parts. Not trying to sound ungrateful of all the work that has gone into this mod, just my recent difficulties have been really tickling my major gripe with the parts available for resource extraction :P

Everytime I launch a ship with interstellar parts, when mechjeb starts the gravity turn at 6 km, Interstellar parts rip off the ship very fast and suddenly, no wobble before 6 km. Every. Time. It happens to rip off the entire upper stage, making the rocket spin out and crash. Removing interstellar parts resulted In a perfect launch. Could it be KJR?

Mods:

Interstellar

KW

KJR

Procedural Parts (none were used on the kraken summon rocket)

Mechjeb

Edited by GiantTank
Adding something

Everytime I launch a ship with interstellar parts, when mechjeb starts the gravity turn at 6 km, Interstellar parts rip off the ship very fast and suddenly, no wobble before 6 km. Every. Time. It happens to rip off the entire upper stage, making the rocket spin out and crash. Removing interstellar parts resulted In a perfect launch. Could it be KJR?

Mods:

Interstellar

KW

KJR

Procedural Parts (none were used on the kraken summon rocket)

Mechjeb

Could you post a picture of your ship? Are you using FAR?