[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

2 Things:

1> Is it an easy .cfg setting to remove the new governor bolt on the ISP on the Thermal nozzles?

2> Where is it?

I've done some poking around, and I can't seem to find the setting to unlock the thermal nozzles from 3k isp max. Anyone point me in the right direction? I want my antimatter uncapped!

~Steve

Ok. I have tried searching through, but there are just too many posts, and my search strings aren't turning anything up. I am experiencing a bug with Plasma Thrusters, Arcjets, and, if I remember correctly, Thermal Rocket Nozzles. When included on a ship, the visual and sound effects are always on, even when the engine in question is not activated. I can activate and deactivate the engine, but the effects continue to run and won't shut off (to be clear, the engine is off and on in terms of actual functionality as it should be...it is just the visual/sound effects that persist regardless of the state of the engine).

Come on, Fractal... level with me. Is that the reason you did it? Just to make it less of an ultimate technology? After all that Infrastructure and Science investment... you killed AM isp. I can't stop these tears of betrayal. I might have to just use the 10.0 settings. I really don't want to have to redesign all of my best ships. The temps inside the AM reactor are insane! Hence the higher ISP! Or is the argument that the nozzles themselves can't handle those temps during the transfer outside of the magnetically contained reactor cores? How about a new nozzle that can? Make it heavier and more expensive! WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!11

~Steve

EDIT:

Honestly, Fractal.. with limiting it to 2997.1 ISP.. you really cut flexibility. Now it only makes sense to use LFO or MethalOX with the AM+Thermal combination. No reason to use anything else. You're capped at such a low ISP.

I R Teh Sad

FYI, even with the old settings, many of my vehicles also use Plasma and even the DT Vista. It just depended on the application. I really don't want to be locked into the plasma and vista when I want high ISP.

EDIT2:

Yes, I know you want us to use the new magnetic nozzles... but we aren't going to. We aren't going to because you can't generate Tritium in the backround AND you can't decay Tritium into He3 in the backround. We use AM because we CAN farm it in the backround.

We really don't need artificial restrictions placed on tech... we already have prices in place for that.

I added Helium-3 spots to the Mun and minmus, as well as a corresponding module to the ISRU (module manager FTW). This allows for relatively easy production. I made the MW needed for the mining to need relatively advanced power generation, as to avoid an easy early-game money bin.

PLANETARY_RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Helium-3
celestialBodyName = Minmus
resourceName = LqdHelium3
mapUrl = WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/minmus_thorium
resourceScale = LINEAR_SCALE
scaleMultiplier = 1
displayTexture = WarpPlugin/WarpPlugin/water_resource_point
displayThreshold = 1
}

PLANETARY_RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Helium-3
celestialBodyName = Mun
mapUrl = WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/mun_thorium
resourceScale = LINEAR_SCALE
scaleMultiplier = .5
displayTexture = WarpPlugin/WarpPlugin/water_resource_point
displayThreshold = 1
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarRefinery]] //this will add it to all ISRU parts (not just the large 3.75 meters).
{
MODULE
{
name = FNModuleResourceExtraction
powerConsumptionLand = 60
powerConsumptionOcean = 60
extractionRateLandPerTon = 0.0001
extractionRateOceanPerTon = 0.0001
unitName = Helium-3 Extractor
extractActionName = Extract Helium-3
stopActionName = Stop Helium-3 Extraction
resourceManaged = True
resourceToUse = Megajoules
}
}

Edited by ABZB

Ok. I have tried searching through, but there are just too many posts, and my search strings aren't turning anything up. I am experiencing a bug with Plasma Thrusters, Arcjets, and, if I remember correctly, Thermal Rocket Nozzles. When included on a ship, the visual and sound effects are always on, even when the engine in question is not activated. I can activate and deactivate the engine, but the effects continue to run and won't shut off (to be clear, the engine is off and on in terms of actual functionality as it should be...it is just the visual/sound effects that persist regardless of the state of the engine).

Do you have a reactor? All of those require significantly high amounts of power in the form of MJ. The visuals and sound being on, on an inactive vessel, leads me to suspect an improper install. Pics?

I added Helium-3 spots to the Mun and minmus, as well as a corresponding module to the ISRU (module manager FTW). This allows for relatively easy production. I made the MW needed for the mining to need relatively advanced power generation, as to avoid an easy early-game money bin.

Post it!!!

That's GREAT! But.. do you know how I can uncap the ISP on the thermal nozzle/turbojet?

~Steve

that would be a matter of editing the code and recompiling the dlls

So... I'm screwed. The thermals are hard coded at 3k ISP and there's nothing I can do about it.

We aren't using mainly AM+Thermals because they're the best. We're mainly using AM+Thermals because we can't generate fuel in the backround for the others! Please revert this silly, pointless nerf and fix backround resource generation instead. You will see that I'm correct! I for one would LOVE to use pure He3 fusion on a number of applications! And as such would naturally be using the magnetic nozzles on the same craft!

~Steve

So... I'm screwed. The thermals are hard coded at 3k ISP and there's nothing I can do about it.

We aren't using mainly AM+Thermals because they're the best. We're mainly using AM+Thermals because we can't generate fuel in the backround for the others! Please revert this silly, pointless nerf and fix backround resource generation instead. You will see that I'm correct! I for one would LOVE to use pure He3 fusion on a number of applications! And as such would naturally be using the magnetic nozzles on the same craft!

~Steve

So, what was the Isp with AM+Thermal nozzle before 'nerfs'? I can't recall, and to be honest, i didn't use them that much... :)

The thing that makes me bit sad is the nerf of upgraded Fusion(D/T)+Thermal engines have lost a loads of Isp, probably for same reason. I recalled that they had like 3-4k Isp with LFO. And now it is 'only' 1700-ish.

So, what was the Isp with AM+Thermal nozzle before 'nerfs'? I can't recall, and to be honest, i didn't use them that much... :)

The thing that makes me bit sad is the nerf of upgraded Fusion(D/T)+Thermal engines have lost a loads of Isp, probably for same reason. I recalled that they had like 3-4k Isp with LFO. And now it is 'only' 1700-ish.

Because the (especially upgraded) Antimatter reactors had such RIDICULOUSLY high core temperatures... they had equally high ISP. Which -IS- how ISP works on heated reactants. Fractal, in this latest version of KSPI, put an artificial cap on it of only 3,000. Now some of my best ship designs no longer work. Well, kinda. My any planet SSTO warp tug now doesn't have enough dV for Tylo.. but that's about it. Can still pretty much land and then take off from any planet. It's my other ships that have become useless. I AM rather pleased that my over-designed, do-anything signature ship: 1.25m Warp Tug remains mostly viable. Even if it does cost 11.4 million to launch

screenshot12.png

The AM+Thermal numbers have yet to be fixed on the Wiki if you want to jump over there and see for yourself. Just scroll all the way to the bottom.

https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Thermal-Rocket-Nozzle-and-Thermal-Turbojet

~Steve

EDIT:

Seeing as how my signature ship DOES cost 11.4 million... who knows a good way to make some quick cash? Even with doing all of my -necessary- time acceleration on my massive fusion farm / transmitted power station (9x 3.5m Fusion reactors)... it's not that fast to breed tritium to sell / store.

Thankfully I usually only run warp tugs with Jeb and Bill. I just keep them really busy doing all of the 'heavy lifting'. I usually have Bob command a Probe command ship (Remote Tech) doing the misc / science work.

Edited by NeoAcario

You could start by reading my response to you on the previous page. Then we can go from there.

Does any one have science lab apart from Interstellar? I tried to take it out from the mod, but in needs Interstellar's plugin to generate science. But plugin also includes all that power management and waste heat, that doesn't fit in my build of KSP.

You could start by reading my response to you on the previous page. Then we can go from there.

I do have a reactor. Engines function just fine. No problems there. It is just a matter of the animations/graphics/sounds that should only play when engine is active that are playing persistently, regardless of the state of the engine. So, if you suspect an improper install, am I correct in assuming the fix would be to remove all interstellar folders and re-install?

I've been thinking about this for a while but Thermal Turbojet >> Thermal Nozzle as it works for "free" in athmosphere. Uncapping the Nozzles would fix this.

Something I could get behind. I'd probably change back to using the nozzles in that case. Easier to land with them also... that spin-up time on the turbojets is a pain in my ass when it comes to vertical landings.

~Steve

I do have a reactor. Engines function just fine. No problems there. It is just a matter of the animations/graphics/sounds that should only play when engine is active that are playing persistently, regardless of the state of the engine. So, if you suspect an improper install, am I correct in assuming the fix would be to remove all interstellar folders and re-install?

Yes, the animations for the engines are supposed to stop when there is no throttle. The exception would the thermal turbojet which has to spool down for a few seconds. I would delete all of the folders that come with interstellar and drop them back in with the newest version (except Treeloader).

Nice! I've always wished for a helium resource on one of Kerbin's moons! Not that I want to make it too much easier to get He-3 (I purposely haven't installed Karbonite yet for this reason), but it's always seemed such a chore to make helium for the reactors... Plus I watched Moon and it's a cool idea. Now all I need is a mass driver to send those fuels to Kerbin...

Yeah - that's why I used the thorium resource map, there are very few decent locations. In my current game, I have remotech and EP launchpads installed - I am planning a Minmus facility that will mine He-3 and stuff, launch a solar satellite network from there, and launch unmanned cargo bots carrying he-3 towards kerbin, using local fuel resources. I installed that philotical resource manager thing to store the Helium-3 once it lands on Kerbin

Yeah - that's why I used the thorium resource map, there are very few decent locations. In my current game, I have remotech and EP launchpads installed - I am planning a Minmus facility that will mine He-3 and stuff, launch a solar satellite network from there, and launch unmanned cargo bots carrying he-3 towards kerbin, using local fuel resources. I installed that philotical resource manager thing to store the Helium-3 once it lands on Kerbin

That's a great idea, and I'm taking.

EP launchpads and PRM you say? Not sure if my install can handle all dem mods, but worth a shot...

I have a weird bug regarding Antimatter collectors, it seems like their price in game is "0", the cfg parts says its 20k 40k & 60k for 1.25, 2.5 & 3.75 meters versions respectively, but when i attach any of those parts to my vessel, the price of the vessel goes into negative numbers causing a crash if i attempt to launch it.

Currently i had removed tree loader and made a cfg to fix some stuff, aside from that everything is at stock.

@PART[AluminiumHybrid1] {
@MODEL,0 {
@scale = 1, 1, 1
}
}

@PART[BigXenonTank] {
@MODEL,0 {
@scale = 0.5, 0.5, 0.5
}
}

@PART[AntimatterReactor*] {
@TechRequired = advScienceTech