[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

You don't really need to worry about waste heat with an RTG... by design it handles it's own heat management. So no big deal there. So 4 EC/sec. That's a heck of a lot more than the 45/min that the standard RTG produces. Two questions: Does the EC/sec decrease as the resource does? How does this compare to a 0.1m radius by 0.75m tall core PU238 RTG in reality?

You're piqued my interest

~Steve

-Hmm do you think I should reduce the amount it produces? I guess that would make sense... scaling from RL is iffy - for comparison, each RTG unit on the Voyagers (each probe had 3 separate units) massed at 37.7 kg (.0377 Metric tons (the KSP mass unit)) including about .0045 MT (4.5 kg) of Pu-238, providing 157 watts. Assuming that 1 ec/sec is 1 KW, that maps to .157 ec/s, or 9.42 ec/minute - much weaker than the stock unit, which is worth about 5 of them. In any event, the ec production can be easily be tweaked by manipulating the ec output ratio.

-The decay plugin properly scales by amount remaining (the change per unit time is "resource amount left" * "decay constant"). As Pu-238 decays away, the rate of RTGHeat production falls. The rate for RTGHeat consumption in ModuleGenerator is within +/- .001 of the amount produced when the amount is full (I think). As less is available, the amount of EC produced also falls (the ratio should remain constant).

-Hmm do you think I should reduce the amount it produces? I guess that would make sense... scaling from RL is iffy - for comparison, each RTG unit on the Voyagers (each probe had 3 separate units) massed at 37.7 kg (.0377 Metric tons (the KSP mass unit)) including about .0045 MT (4.5 kg) of Pu-238, providing 157 watts. Assuming that 1 ec/sec is 1 KW, that maps to .157 ec/s, or 9.42 ec/minute - much weaker than the stock unit, which is worth about 5 of them. In any event, the ec production can be easily be tweaked by manipulating the ec output ratio.

-The decay plugin properly scales by amount remaining (the change per unit time is "resource amount left" * "decay constant"). As Pu-238 decays away, the rate of RTGHeat production falls. The rate for RTGHeat consumption in ModuleGenerator is within +/- .001 of the amount produced when the amount is full (I think). As less is available, the amount of EC produced also falls (the ratio should remain constant).

Hrmm... how about just scaling it to KSP-I? With solar farms.. isn't 1000 EC/s the same as 1 joule? Or was it 1 Mjoule? I honestly forget. I know joules = watts × seconds, but I forget the exact conversion that KSP-I uses with solar panel EC converted for Microwave transmitters.

~Steve

Soooo... I managed to start my career without loading the interstellar tech tree from treeloader BECAUSE it hovers straight over the VAB and you can't move the window. Any way to force it to reappear so I can choose the tree? Or edit my save to do it from a stock tree?

Regards

Left-Alt-F7 while in the R&D building will allow you to reselect which tech trees you want to use. This is currently the *only* way to enable the local save-game tree.cfg as the first thing a new game does is ask you to pick the trees you want.

I got that from the TechManager installation guide. You may want to try this.

How do I use the plasma engine and Attila engines?? I put liquid fuel electric generator and a fission reactor then the engine and start it but nothing happens :(

Pics? What does the MJ manager say? You need to be producing a significant amount of electricity in the form of megajoules in order to use those engines.

Just a stray thought, but now that we've got the means to get around I was thinking it would be nice to have some places to go to. I was wondering how difficult it would be to integrate some of the multiple solar system mods into Interstellar with a few interesting tweaks, such as those systems and planets being hidden until you "find" them via for example the Direct Planetary Observation experiment with the IR telescope.

In theory we could add a whole new cartography and astrogation aspect the game with the concept of searching for other nearby stars, then developing a profile of what sort of planets they possess, charting their orbits etc. in anticipation of sending an expedition. Which then segues into colonization type efforts, establishing a self-sufficient station or planetary hub from which to conduct further and farther exploration.

Just a stray thought, but now that we've got the means to get around I was thinking it would be nice to have some places to go to. I was wondering how difficult it would be to integrate some of the multiple solar system mods into Interstellar with a few interesting tweaks, such as those systems and planets being hidden until you "find" them via for example the Direct Planetary Observation experiment with the IR telescope.

In theory we could add a whole new cartography and astrogation aspect the game with the concept of searching for other nearby stars, then developing a profile of what sort of planets they possess, charting their orbits etc. in anticipation of sending an expedition. Which then segues into colonization type efforts, establishing a self-sufficient station or planetary hub from which to conduct further and farther exploration.

Very ambitious plan, I'd love to see this kind of thing one day.

I think if you talk to the KSPI, StarSystems, ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads, and one of the colonization mod devs and get their support, you might just be able to make it happen ;)

If it is ever going to happen, somebody has to go out and "make" it happen. So it might be worth a try if you really want to see it happen!

So it's been around 6 mo since I've last posted something like this... but I'm looking for new / fresh ideas.

Share with us something you're proud of! A ship you use often? Some engineering marvel that took lots of work? Something that just looks cool?! SHOW US!

As an example, here's one of my standard 1.25m Warp Tugs with a 'No Atmo' science package. Currently aerobraking over Duno before Hohmann Transferring out to Ike to get 100% of the science in a single trip! (excluding impactor)

screenshot22.png

(KSPI, KAS, TAC:LS, Remote Tech, etc... and before you ask, that's a collapsible warp drive zzz made ages ago)

Show me what ya got!

~Steve

EDIT:

As a bonus, here's my new Transmitted Power, Twin Plasma Space plane that I'm using to swap out crew, and delivery TAC:LS supplies to local Kerbin SOI space stations / ships.

screenshot23.png

Edited by NeoAcario

Very ambitious plan, I'd love to see this kind of thing one day.

I think if you talk to the KSPI, StarSystems, ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads, and one of the colonization mod devs and get their support, you might just be able to make it happen ;)

If it is ever going to happen, somebody has to go out and "make" it happen. So it might be worth a try if you really want to see it happen!

I'm giving StarSystems a quick spin on my client. The very first thing I noted is that solar power is skewed. My craft at Eeloo was gerating Kerbin-altitude amounts of electrical power from the solar panels with a commensurate amount of wasteheat generation.

ETA: Just took that Eeloo craft through a transit to Dres. Solar power remained more or less constant through out the vast Kerbol-altitude changes. I guess fixing solar power sourcing and ranging (since the sun is no longer the center of the Kerbal universe) will be the first hurdle if I want an expanded interstellar region.

ETA2: Another quick question, is anti-matter supposed to be selling for so much money? I recovered about 500mg from a spacecraft and it ended up giving me a few billion credits. While I like the idea of a late game money maker in order to free you from the constraints of the contract system this kind of monetary return seems gamebreakingly OP. *shrug* Just my opinion of course but I rather liked the economy constraint imposed by career mode as it made me keep efficiency and thrift in mind when building space craft and rockets, and not just slap together the biggest do-everything ship possible and strapping on Moar Boosters! until it manages to make LKO.

Edited by Yaivenov

I have a question about science labs. I managed to get 8 sci-labs with 'smart' kerbals (sort of) on Moho. At first the labs generated some really good science, but each subsequent collection of data produced less and less science (the same way it happens with any other stock science experiments). I thought the lab would produce a constant amount of science each period. Am I mistaken? I'm currently at 5016 science points, and the warp drive costs 10K. All my hopes were for that science factory... Is that degeneration of science production by design?

@ebigunso / @Yaivenov

A couple of things to help out with this :)

Taniwha's latest release of EL removes the last hard-coded constraints on Kethane, so an in-the-box option for EPL->MKS/OKS integration is coming up (including a more involved resource chain to RocketParts, new USI-style models, etc.) - there's an EPL -> Karbonite integration bit out there already (less for using Karbonite, and more for being compatible with the MKS/OKS colony bits), though that will be pretty much in the box with the upcoming integration now that Taniwha's part is done.

For KSPI - two choices. There's KSPI-L which has good interop, or UndercoverYankee's CRP integration pack. Both of which brings KSPI onto the same shared playground as the USI mods, TAC-LS, NFT, EPL, US, etc. - what's nice is that UndercoverYankee's version will allow you to get SCANSat integration for resource scanning, as well as integration with Cyrik's Resource Overlay (these both tie to the USI ORS fork, not core ORS - so you need a compatability pack to switch KSPI and KSPI-L over).

Probably the last weird bit with Star System, etc. is the new planets and the lack of resource maps. This is being resolved on the CRP/USI side by switching to a completely new resource system I've been working on that includes support for any planets you may have automatically, so it solved the missing PNG issue (as it uses no PNGs) - I'll be working with Cyrik and DMagic to switch over their integration, and UndercoverYankee to make sure his KSPI integration pack still works.

So really, you're at a point now where pieces are already reasonably integrated, or there are already community efforts out there to provide that integration (either by the modders themselves or by our enthusiastic fans).

Feel free to ping me if you hit any friction points or have questions.

It's my first post here in these forums, lurked here for some time until I ran into an issue...

I happily played Interstellar and some few auxillary mods ( better atmospheres, TAC fuel balancer etc, Texture managers etc..) and yesterday I unlocked via career tree the Large Argon Container. And it looks somewhat like this. Also, one of the fission reactors was left white (without textures) but it was fixed after I swapped WarpPlugin folder.

a0yzwi.png

I tried to re-install mod files, and it did not work. I used search thread option here in this topic, but I found no related results. What's wrong and how can I fix it?