[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

The large (2.5/3.75) fusion reactors in my install only have Lithium in them and are thus eternally DT-deprived (the smaller fusion reactors DO have DT and work properly). I just installed the techmanager fix. What's going on? Do I need to mount external DT supplies now for my fusion reactor builds?

The large (2.5/3.75) fusion reactors in my install only have Lithium in them and are thus eternally DT-deprived (the smaller fusion reactors DO have DT and work properly). I just installed the techmanager fix. What's going on? Do I need to mount external DT supplies now for my fusion reactor builds?

Yes. Fractal did this an update or two ago.

So, can i use this mod in conjunction with a lot of parts mods and have my science tree balanced and unlocking new parts from other mods too?

Mods installed so far with interstellar:

primary:AVC

EVE (Environmental Visual Enhancement)

MechJEB

Remotetech

FAR RasterPropMonitor

Deadly Reentry

Interstellar (more parts in late-game)

SCANsat

DMagic Orbital Science

USI Kolonization Systems (planetary colonies and space stations parts)

BoxSat (parts for satellites and probes)

B9 Aerospace (parts for planes)

secondary:

Final Frontier

Hullcam VDS

ScienceAlert

[x] Science!

It's not *quite* that simple. There also needs to be a way to scoop Nitrogen from the atmospheres of Kerbin, Duna, Eve, and Laythe (their real-life analogues all have significant amounts of nitrogen in their atmospheres), which is the *whole point* of adding a Nitrogen fuel-mode to the plasma thruster (for the ISRU possibilities).

Also, I'd prefer something integrated into the base mod, so everybody can benefit from it, and I don't have to mod KSP-Interstellar again every time it updates.

I'd like to do that as well, the problem is tankage. I'm reticent to add more fuel tanks which take up space in the part list and probably won't be high quality models because they'd probably have to be made by me. It would certainly be useful to have it as a resource both as a propellant and for ISRU purposes but that's the dilemna at present.

In other news:

Most of the changes for the next update have now been made and it's now just on to the testing and tweaking stage.

Fieel, you can use any mods you want with Interstellar, unless there is a specific conflict as written in this mods, or any mods, readme/first page. I've made quite a few installs over time and have used such part mods as KW, B9, Remote Tech, Tac Life Support, ScanSat. MechJeb, KER, Infernal Robotics, KAS etc, no issues at all.

KSPI just does alot of different things and adds alot of new items in new nodes, thats why is has a special tech tree config. It does not alter the functionality of other nodes besides adding new parts. For example, if you use the latest B9 all the new HX parts are in a new node, they've gone about it in a different manner to KSPI as its just a single node, but the effect is the same. Its just a new node that blends seemingly with the tech tree, whatever parts you have installed.

I'd like to do that as well, the problem is tankage. I'm reticent to add more fuel tanks which take up space in the part list and probably won't be high quality models because they'd probably have to be made by me. It would certainly be useful to have it as a resource both as a propellant and for ISRU purposes but that's the dilemna at present.

In other news:

Most of the changes for the next update have now been made and it's now just on to the testing and tweaking stage.

Single tanks with multiple possible fuel storage options is a currently avaialble feature, at the cost of adding a dependancy to firespitter (for the FSfuelswitch) or Modular/Real Fuel Tanks. I think the USI guy has/is working on a module that can hold multiple fuels, expanding and contracting different fuel's tank as needed (on the fly - I think it's part of his asteroid pack - that allows you to store fuel in asteroids)

Fieel, you can use any mods you want with Interstellar, unless there is a specific conflict as written in this mods, or any mods, readme/first page. I've made quite a few installs over time and have used such part mods as KW, B9, Remote Tech, Tac Life Support, ScanSat. MechJeb, KER, Infernal Robotics, KAS etc, no issues at all.

KSPI just does alot of different things and adds alot of new items in new nodes, thats why is has a special tech tree config. It does not alter the functionality of other nodes besides adding new parts. For example, if you use the latest B9 all the new HX parts are in a new node, they've gone about it in a different manner to KSPI as its just a single node, but the effect is the same. Its just a new node that blends seemingly with the tech tree, whatever parts you have installed.

That's perfect. Exactly what i wanted! Thank you.

so I have 3 relay satellites with relay mode on but it says like 0/3 relay do they relay power then ? is it because I have not put up a transmitting power satellite yet? The microwave dish thing do they also need to be pointed at the other satellites to relay/transmit?

so I have 3 relay satellites with relay mode on but it says like 0/3 relay do they relay power then ? is it because I have not put up a transmitting power satellite yet? The microwave dish thing do they also need to be pointed at the other satellites to relay/transmit?

yes the relays relay power transmitted by a transmitter.

Looks like you are doing things right. Yes you need a power production satellite to actually power the network. When setting up relays or transmitters you do NOT need to worry about what direction they are oriented. Only the receivers need to be pointing the correct direction.

can anyone show a picture of their microwave relay and transmitter and how their orbits are?

Looks like you are doing things right. Yes you need a power production satellite to actually power the network. When setting up relays or transmitters you do NOT need to worry about what direction they are oriented. Only the receivers need to be pointing the correct direction.

Ok :D

Edited by ghost22

Just wondering, is everyone's tech tree working? I have unlocked nuclear propulsion and meta materials but the fusion node did not appear. :/ I am using the latest version of ksp with some other mods. Im sure its not any of the mods fault because i have the same problem in stock ksp with a clean install of interstellar.

Just wondering, is everyone's tech tree working? I have unlocked nuclear propulsion and meta materials but the fusion node did not appear. :/ I am using the latest version of ksp with some other mods. Im sure its not any of the mods fault because i have the same problem in stock ksp with a clean install of interstellar.

same here :o

Would it be possible to code a tank that can hold a variety of liquids? Ie. being able to toggle what it holds in the VAB or while it is empty, like you can toggle the propellant the thermal rocket is using. Liquid Nitrogen, Oxygen, and Argon all have similar boiling points, it's probably possible to design a tank to hold any of them.

Also wouldn't antimatter reactors simply need to mix propellant with antimatter and vent the resulting plasma out the back, thus freeing them from the limitation of requiring a solid heat exchanger?

Edited by Thorbane

Would it be possible to code a tank that can hold a variety of liquids? Ie. being able to toggle what it holds in the VAB or while it is empty, like you can toggle the propellant the thermal rocket is using. Liquid Nitrogen, Oxygen, and Argon all have similar boiling points, it's probably possible to design a tank to hold any of them.

Also wouldn't antimatter reactors simply need to mix propellant with antimatter and vent the resulting plasma out the back, thus freeing them from the limitation of requiring a solid heat exchanger?

I noted previously that firespitter and modularfueltanks already grants this capacity. you just have to MM a patch to add the various KSPI resources to the tank definitions. The following should work for both Modular Fuel Tanks and Real Fuels:

@TANK_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[@TANK[XenonGas]]:FINAL
{
TANK
{
name = ArgonGas
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
utilization = 56.0
note = (pressurized)
}
TANK
{
name = LqdDeuterium
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
utilization = 7
note = (pressurized)
}
TANK
{
name = LqdTritium
fillable = true
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
utilization = 7
note = (pressurized)
note = (Shielded)
}
TANK
{
name = LqdHelium3
fillable = true
utilization = 56
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
utilization = 7
note = (pressurized)
}
TANK
{
name = LqdHelium
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
utilization = 7
note = (Refrigerated)
}
}
@TANK_DEFINITION[ServiceModule]:FOR[ExtraTanks]
{
TANK
{
name = UraniumNitride
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
fillable = true
utilization = .8
}
TANK
{
name = UF4
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
fillable = true
utilization = .8
note = (Shielded)
}
TANK
{
name = ThF4
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
fillable = true
utilization = .8
note = (Shielded)
}
TANK
{
name = Actinides
fillable = False
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
utilization = .8
note = (Shielded)
}
TANK
{
name = DepletedFuel
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
fillable = false
utilization = .8
note = (Shielded)
}
}

@TANK_DEFINITION[*]:FINAL
{
TANK
{
name = Aluminium
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
TANK
{
name = Lithium
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
TANK
{
name = Water
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
}

Edited by ABZB

The current release of Interstellar uses TreeLoader for its tech tree editing. TreeLoader is broken, and has been since 0.25 came out. A "clean" install of KSPI 0.13 will not have the tech tree functioning properly. There are also several other things not quite working properly in 0.13.

Deleting the TreeLoader folder from GameData and replacing it with TechManager will allow you to fix the tech tree problem. Alternately, you can wait until Fractal releases the next version with fixes, which should be fairly soon now, as he posted recently saying so.

The current release of Interstellar uses TreeLoader for its tech tree editing. TreeLoader is broken, and has been since 0.25 came out. A "clean" install of KSPI 0.13 will not have the tech tree functioning properly. There are also several other things not quite working properly in 0.13.

Deleting the TreeLoader folder from GameData and replacing it with TechManager will allow you to fix the tech tree problem. Alternately, you can wait until Fractal releases the next version with fixes, which should be fairly soon now, as he posted recently saying so.

Thank you very much :D. I'm expected to receive no less than about 5000 science from my 500 ton probe carrier at the jool system soon. Good to hear that I can actually use it up. :D

Edited by Jerry060599

Have any of you gotten the magnetic nozzles to work?

It's not that difficult to figure out after actually reading the part description.

They need: LiquidFuel; energy (MJ); vacuum; ChargedParticles (much like thermal nozzles need ThermalPower)

try building something like this

YzUAwgX.png

I have two suggestions and i dont know if here is the right site to put it:

1st: Helium 3 Generator: If my students book is correct, the reaction Deuterium+Deuterium generates Helium-3. Why don't you `put a reactor mode/special reactor capable of generate helium-3 by this way? You can use this as Startup generator and Resource generator. If you think that this will made the game very easy, design a reactor very heavy that you only can move by ground or anything else.

2nd: Any fusion reaction between hydrogen, deuterium or tritium generates Helium. What about use this Helium as fuel for a nuclear thermal rocket or nuclear thermojet?

I noted previously that firespitter and modularfueltanks already grants this capacity. you just have to MM a patch to add the various KSPI resources to the tank definitions.

I'm talking about a tank that can hold X liters of one resource at a time, but you can empty it in flight and then switch it to holding something else (presumably something else with a similar boiling point). MFT just allows you to set what the tank holds in the VAB.

I'm talking about a tank that can hold X liters of one resource at a time, but you can empty it in flight and then switch it to holding something else (presumably something else with a similar boiling point). MFT just allows you to set what the tank holds in the VAB.

I think that USI has something like that in the asteroid mining pack - there are expandable tanks that grow and shrink based on need (so you can presumably hold however much of whatever combination).

So I have a problem with the Science Lab. When I collect the data from the "research", it gives me data but no science out of it.

WPZMWIe.jpg

When I used it yesterday it worked perfectly. It seems that it only works once... :(

Also, the science rate is wrong. 0.654/day is "data" per day, the science that you recieve is way higher than 0.654 per day. (That's what happened the first time I used the lab)

I have two suggestions and i dont know if here is the right site to put it:

1st: Helium 3 Generator: If my students book is correct, the reaction Deuterium+Deuterium generates Helium-3. Why don't you `put a reactor mode/special reactor capable of generate helium-3 by this way? You can use this as Startup generator and Resource generator. If you think that this will made the game very easy, design a reactor very heavy that you only can move by ground or anything else.

2nd: Any fusion reaction between hydrogen, deuterium or tritium generates Helium. What about use this Helium as fuel for a nuclear thermal rocket or nuclear thermojet?

1)D-T should produce He-4 - the LiquidHelium resource used for the telescope (and my recompile of the cryogenic mod I posted a few pages back).

2)D-D (not currently implemented as a fuel mode) produces either tritium or He-3 (50% each) so if you have X reactions per second - there should be X/2 He-3 produced per second, and X/2 tritium per second.***

3)D-He3 produces He-4*

4)He3-He3 produces He-4** [quite convenient for Magnetic Nozzle, I guess]

*also produces 1 proton - i.e. regular Hydrogen - ie liquidfuel. The justification for capturing anything from fusion is that the way charged-particle power generation works, you can plausibly capture the nucleii (you are essentially transferring the kinetic energy ('speed energy') of the charged products into electrical current - so they slow down, to the point where they can be captured, and re-united with electrons to form regular atoms).

** produces two protons per reaction

***produces one proton per tritium-producing reaction (the he-3 pathway releases a neutron instead)

I *think* this is actually relatively easily accomplished from existing code - i think the tritium breeding code could be expanded and adopted to produce the appropriate products scaled to current reaction rate.