Hab/Hub (and other strange things)

zzz

Anyone have a CFG to turn the radiators into solar panels? Really love the Babylon 5 look of em. Would be great to have shiny orange texture photovoltaics alternated with dark glowing radiators. I tried my hand at it but monkeying a config from one of the Squad panels and the current radiator but I seemed to EFF it up. Evidently there is something I'm missing that confuses the heck out of the module and the animation.

Thanks and sorry if i overlooked a post in the thread,

Eloi

Ok this will turn it into solar panels. Adjust chargeRate as desired.

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel

animationName = a1
pivotName = suntransform

raycastTransformName = suncatcher

resourceName = ElectricCharge

chargeRate = 2

powerCurve
{
key = 206000000000 0 0 0
key = 13599840256 1 0 0
key = 68773560320 0.5 0 0
key = 0 10 0 0
}
}

I believe zzz posted this link: http://www./?q7pcuabkndolh9q on page 11 of this thread to do exactly what you describe. I installed it thinking I needed it for regular radiator operation, but it definitely makes the panels track the sun face-on instead of edge-on. I don't know if it contains the code or module to actually function as a solar panel, you'll have to try it out yourself to see. If not, I'm sure someone can help you with adding the necessary code to the config file.

Incidentally, if you want 2 other sizes of this part, go download the KSP Interstellar pack, there's this size plus one bigger and one smaller. The big one is pretty freakin' big, too, definitely B5 scale. :) And you can change the colors and the glow and all with them just like you can with these. FYI. :)

I'll have to reread that section, I attempted to use it. It seemed to be stuck in deploying mode but there might have been a typo in the section trying to call the solar panel module. Dyslexia is a pain in the ass!

Thanks for the heads up on the Interstellar pack.

Eloi

Cool, thanks! Wish I still had the CFG I wrote to see where i screwed up.

Oops a little clarification about the bit that I posted. That replaces the existing solar panel module. (actually it's the same one but with the resourceName and chargeRate specified and the powerCurve added) (powerCurve specifies how much the power is scaled by distance from Kerbol)

that different model.mu is need to change the radiator into a sunfacing solar panel together with the cfg ... finaly it's working for me so i only have to addjust the weight, scale and powergenerating :)

thanks everyone for the support !

and zzz : awesome models, keep the good work !

Are there any config geniuses out there that can help turn this wonderful science module into a part that's really capable of generating Science in career mode? (And probably place it on the tier following the Junior?)

I really want to build a scientific station with this on it.

Are there any config geniuses out there that can help turn this wonderful science module into a part that's really capable of generating Science in career mode? (And probably place it on the tier following the Junior?)

I really want to build a scientific station with this on it.

currently trying to do this now

It is what the part.cfg file of the lab should look like to make it produce science.

Are there commands to check if the antenna is already extended, so we can delete the automatic retracting?

And what is the command to check if the pod is manned, so it does not operate alone (like a probe)?

This - combined with the ability to do every experiment of the other single science gizmos including transmitting - is an awesome part for high up in the tech tree to make building easier and fit everything nicely into a base, station or ship!

Edited by KerbMav

And what is the command to check if the pod is manned, so it does not operate alone (like a probe)?

If memory serves, the only way to make a part uncontrollable when there are no occupants is to add the code:

INTERNAL
{
name = PodCockpit
}

But this doesn't seem to stop it from transmitting anyway.

On a completely unrelated note, if you want some more of ZZZ's awesome parts, download the KSP Interstellar mod . Most of the parts are designed by our good friend, and the antimatter reactor and thermal turbojet can be easily modified to work with stock KSP (i.e. just using the models from the mod rather then the entire mod itself)

And my god does the thermal turbojet look awesome!!!!

I love these parts - while the Interstellar mod looks interesting, I have zero interest in playing "Kerbal Star Trek Program". I'd rather not have antimatter and Alcubierre drives in my KSP.

I am of the exact same mind set. That is why I just downloaded the mod, extracted the parts I thought looked cool, and modified their .cfg so they function as normal parts. the thermal jet is not just a normal , slightly more powerful turbojet, and the antimatter reactors are not just oversized rtg's.

I just don't feel like editing a bunch of .cfg's - I know how to do it but I find myself spending more time tinkering than actually playing lately. So I suppose I'll wait patiently until Zzz or someone else gets the lab module working perfectly. It's too nice to omit from a station, but the suggested .cfg sounds like it has a couple of minor issues still.

I'm speaking of all the other stuff in the Interstellar mod.

As for this, you mentioned the issues of the antennas not animating properly. As for copying and pasting, I can do that, just didn't understand why the actual .cfg file couldn't be posted rather than highlighting everything, copying it and setting up a new file - and then having the user do the same thing all over again (also, having to edit out all the line numbers that seem to come along with it). Seems like making it harder than it has to be. But I am thankful that someone took the time - I just am not yet confident that it's what I was looking for.

Edited by HeadHunter67

If memory serves, the only way to make a part uncontrollable when there are no occupants is to add the code:

INTERNAL
{
name = PodCockpit
}

But this doesn't seem to stop it from transmitting anyway.

No. INTERNAL is just to set the internal view when you click IVA for a crew member in the pod or if you press C.

MODULE
{
name = ModuleCommand
minimumCrew = 1
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleCommand
minimumCrew = 1
}

That only works if there is no other part with ModuleCommand present. As soon as another manned pod or a probe core is connected the lab will be able to operate.

This is also true for all other science parts, but I wanted it to be a limitation for an otherwise all-in-one part. With my current part.cfg it can do every experiment but surface sample and EVA report.

That only works if there is no other part with ModuleCommand present. As soon as another manned pod or a probe core is connected the lab will be able to operate.

This is also true for all other science parts, but I wanted it to be a limitation for an otherwise all-in-one part. With my current part.cfg it can do every experiment but surface sample and EVA report.

There's no way to do it the way you want unless you write a plugin that locks the part when unoccupied.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.