Mun super deep crater

Nice find, but I think there's some work to do to fix up the anomalies-

A mohole is more than just a hole on Moho, the name comes from Project Mohole which was a plan to drill a hole through the Earths crust into the mantle

Moho is also the nickname of the MohoroviÄÂić-discontuity, a boundary where the seismic speed changes suddenly. It's quite commonly interpreted as the boundary between the earth's crust and mantle, at least when you listen to seismologists. It never occured to me that it might be related to Moho's name!

Have a base on the side of that crater! That would be awesome!

Is this good enough? :)

Gf2bZCI.jpg

bh51XhL.jpg

YFr5idz.jpg

shVakye.jpg

p6QRfes.jpg

As you can see there is a lander can, some structural elements, a large battery bank, two small kethane tanks, two drills and a converter, as it will be probably used to provide fuel for vessels launched from a launch pad on the bottom of the crater(still to-be-landed there :wink: ), or to some little ships visiting a landing pad anchored to the wall nearby, via the bottom connector cable. The other not yet used connector will probably be used to lower/lift kerbals between the base and the bottom. I have edited the KAS files to make the cables about 1,5km long, which is about enough to reach the bottom.

The battery bank is used mostly when kethane is processed and mined simultanously, especially if the solar panels are in shadow(since they are at about 80* angle they provide great amount of electricity for their size, usually between 0,8 and 0,95 efficiency when in sunlight).

I am currently planning to create a whole colony down(up?) there. It will take some time, as first getting it into the crater, and then anchoring it to the walls is... well, pretty difficult and/or long :wink:

Edited by M4ck

I am currently planning to create a whole colony down(up?) there. It will take some time, as first getting it into the crater, and then anchoring it to the walls is... well, pretty difficult and/or long :wink:

That is very impressive. What techniques are you using to land/attach them there?

Oh god I can see the books now... "Journey the the Centre of the Mun" or maybe... "First Kerbs In The Mun" by Jules Kerne

Have to say, the Mun is a LOT more interesting now. I love going rover driving on the Mun now as the leaps you can get are incredible. If you find a steep slope with a smaller crater further down you can almost jump the darn thing (I actually landed short and hit the far side of the crater wall... I'm thinking rockets on the back of my next rover or maybe sepatrons at the very least).

First of all, it was launched oriented in a way that the side of the cylindrical winch on the end of "crane" structure was on the top, and the side touching the wall was the bottom. Lifters were connected via 2,5m separator connected in the middle of the edge touching the wall, then there were ASAS, RCS tanks + 4x4 thrusters(16 total, 4 in each direction), a rather short fuel tank with an engine weak enough that the TWR on Mun was about 1,3, maybe 1,5. THAT was later connected to a flat platform with some engines and landing legs, below that was the main lifter structure.

1. Get it to orbit, detach lifters

2. Fly to moon using engines on flat platform, enter an almost-polar high orbit and refuel a bit if needed

3. Land on the bottom of the crater(just to save in case something goes wrong... Maybe that's cheating a bit, but I really hate redoing all the launch-orbit-getto-land stages...)

4. Detach from lander platform and slowly rise. ASAS enabled to keep it straight(one large stock ASAS, or whatever it is now called, was enough for me), use RCS to get slowly moving towards the wall while hovering on the main engine. (I had a docking port placed on the side opposite side from the engine in order to "control from there" and make sure the ship was oriented exactly vertically

5. When near the wall, thrust RCS the opposite direction to make yourself almost stationary

6. At a distance of about the lenght of deployed 1x6 solar panel from wall, I fired the claws(set "eject" on all 4 winches to an action group) and slowly throttled down to zero, sometimes using RCS to slow the swing towards the wall. When the base is just about to touch the wall, decouple that tank+RCS+engine part (ASAS was ON the whole time, so the base was kept straight)

7. Now you just need to pull the cables to level the base :) I first pulled the "near" cables(using that KAS windowed controls, much faster than right-clicking) till they had about 1m of cable left, then extended the "far" cables till everything was horizontal. That 1m left was so that the base would touch the wall with the bottom 8x8 panel(the upper layer was 4 4x4 panels, from KW rocketry or B9, I don't remember exactly), not the winches + I-beams + 8x8 panel(then it was slightly sloped towards the wall)

Edited by M4ck

• 1 year later...
First of all, it was launched oriented in a way that the side of the cylindrical winch on the end of "crane" structure was on the top, and the side touching the wall was the bottom. Lifters were connected via 2,5m separator connected in the middle of the edge touching the wall, then there were ASAS, RCS tanks + 4x4 thrusters(16 total, 4 in each direction), a rather short fuel tank with an engine weak enough that the TWR on Mun was about 1,3, maybe 1,5. THAT was later connected to a flat platform with some engines and landing legs, below that was the main lifter structure.

1. Get it to orbit, detach lifters

2. Fly to moon using engines on flat platform, enter an almost-polar high orbit and refuel a bit if needed

3. Land on the bottom of the crater(just to save in case something goes wrong... Maybe that's cheating a bit, but I really hate redoing all the launch-orbit-getto-land stages...)

4. Detach from lander platform and slowly rise. ASAS enabled to keep it straight(one large stock ASAS, or whatever it is now called, was enough for me), use RCS to get slowly moving towards the wall while hovering on the main engine. (I had a docking port placed on the side opposite side from the engine in order to "control from there" and make sure the ship was oriented exactly vertically

5. When near the wall, thrust RCS the opposite direction to make yourself almost stationary

6. At a distance of about the lenght of deployed 1x6 solar panel from wall, I fired the claws(set "eject" on all 4 winches to an action group) and slowly throttled down to zero, sometimes using RCS to slow the swing towards the wall. When the base is just about to touch the wall, decouple that tank+RCS+engine part (ASAS was ON the whole time, so the base was kept straight)

7. Now you just need to pull the cables to level the base :) I first pulled the "near" cables(using that KAS windowed controls, much faster than right-clicking) till they had about 1m of cable left, then extended the "far" cables till everything was horizontal. That 1m left was so that the base would touch the wall with the bottom 8x8 panel(the upper layer was 4 4x4 panels, from KW rocketry or B9, I don't remember exactly), not the winches + I-beams + 8x8 panel(then it was slightly sloped towards the wall)

I have to say bravo *claps* that has given me a few ideas that I hadn't considered before, so thanks for the inventive muse.

I can confirm that there definitely is a monolith in one of the deep craters near the south pole of the Mun. Since it's at the poles, it's always in shadow. Bring a rover with lights (or Kerbals) and be sure to check in the air or even clipping underground, because that can happen sometimes depending on your graphics settings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.