[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

Thank you, for not only the bug report, but pointing me towards Exception Detector!

Regarding your specific issue, I thought I had squashed that around RC3 or RC4. Are you sure you're using the latest RC?

Navy, thank you! You were right, i downloaded RC5 and the bug is gone.

Hi Navyfish,

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The two mods I consider KSP "broken" without, are a)DPAI & b)MJ/KER

I have to agree. Just for the exercise I did a rendezvous last night without DPAI and wow does it suck by comparison. Thanks to docking many times with DPAI my docking skills are much improved, but it still really sucks to have to eyeball things rather than know your velocity vector and alignment precisely.

Question:

If it is desired to make this work on non-standard RPM screens (like B9, KSO or ALCORE), would this have to be custom-made for each one individually? Just wondering

Each prop requires its own configuration file - currently I've only written one for the stock RPM MFD. One gentlemen has written a config for the B9 cockpit, but I haven't yet tested it. I'll release this with at the least the RPM config, and possibly the B9 config assuming it works as-is (time is a limited resource lately!), and then plan to release the other primary configs as a patch in a few weeks once I've built them up.

Of course if other modders out there want to give me a hand and write the configs themselves, I'd be grateful.

I have to agree. Just for the exercise I did a rendezvous last night without DPAI and wow does it suck by comparison. Thanks to docking many times with DPAI my docking skills are much improved, but it still really sucks to have to eyeball things rather than know your velocity vector and alignment precisely.

Thanks gents. I actually bought KSP at version .18 after watching it for awhile because they introduced docking. It was and has continued to be the most important aspect of gameplay for me, as I end up building all of my larger vessels piece-by-piece in space. I would align my vessels North-South or another cardinal direction to set a 'known' alignment axis, but it always seemed like that one key piece of information was missing. The first versions of DPAI simply provided this single piece of information (well, that plus roll), and what a world of difference it made for me. I actually had DPAI up and working for personal use for a couple of weeks before deciding to release it publicly, not expecting many people would know what is was for, know how to use it, or care. Boy was I in for a surprise! Anyway, thanks for sharing. Hearing how it helps people always provides nice motivation for continuing to expand the mod :)

-----------------

So I'm assuming no news is good news, yes? If you've downloaded the latest RC (RC5 -of which about 50 have been downloaded), and are experiencing any more bugs, please please let me know. Otherwise, I'll go ahead and release this beast sometime soon. Things at work have been quite busy (finding myself on the road quite a bit lately), so having such a protracted beta period wasn't the going-in intent, but it's the way things worked out. Hopefully I'll have some time Saturday and push out an official release.

So I'm assuming no news is good news, yes?

Yes. I've got several hours of testing time, and two dozen or more dockings. I am not finding any issues. I absolutely love the RPM integration and If I knew the first thing about modding, I'd help make configuration files for some of the other RPM props out there.

No problems here, everything working fine. I've looking into adding docking to the Alcore still. It's short a button along the top so can't be added after vessel viewer like the standard screens. For myself I'll probably just replace vessel viewer cause I don't use it but that's not a good general solution. Maybe a side button will do?

I'll probably just replace vessel viewer cause I don't use it but that's not a good general solution. Maybe a side button will do?

If you create a working cfg for ALCOR's MFD Would you please share it? . I don't use vessel viewer either.

Quick update - I've been quite busy lately, currently on the road for work, while the rest of my freetime these past couple of weeks has been spent helping my fiance plan our wedding (!). DPAI 6.0 will be out soon, but in the meantime thanks for your patience. And of course the RCs will remain available until I actually release it, so if you're itching to get your hands on it, that's your best option.

... my freetime these past couple of weeks has been spent helping my fiance plan our wedding (!). ...

Delightful news, what better reason to not have freetime left? :D

Yes, I was wondering at the reason keeping you from furthering the release of DPAI 6.0, though the latest RC is solid enough to be used in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

DPAI Version 6.1 Released

*Please note - Version 6.0 was skipped. If you were one of the few brave (poor) souls who obtained it, you should switch to 6.1 most expeditiously..*

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Version 6.1 - Released 3/7/15

• [added] Raster Prop Monitor (RPM) Integration! (See Below)
  • [RPM] DPAI now has an RPM Page on the stock RPM MFD. More MFD patches to follow.
  • [RPM] Full DPAI functionality and display while IVA! (RPM Required)
  • [RPM] Display and cycle Target Ports from MDF
  • [RPM] Display and cycle the Docking Reference part from MFD
  • [RPM] Rename target and reference ports from MFD while IVA
  • [RPM] Toggleable info page which displays MFD controls for DPAI
  • [added] DPAI now preserves the 'Control From Here' reference part when going IVA
  • [added] Option to show/hide target port HUD indicator while IVA
  • [added] Parts with multiple docking ports can now have unique names for each port
  • [changed] Appearance of 'point towards' arrow (smaller, higher-resolution)
  • [fixed] Improved CDI line transition to back-hemisphere (no more unintentional flipping)

Okey How can I get THE a stripped down version?

I do not have RasterPropMonitor installed so I surely don't need that. Do I?

or

Which Files are the "bare minimum" to copy over?

As this have 2 more dll-s and some config files surplus (Compared to 5.1)

What are those (what they do? Which one is which)? do I need them? Can I not include them? (I do not like stock IVA-s and can't modding further because of instability issues occures every time a new stuff is installed to KSP for me. I am a sad 32 bit game on 64bit windows user.)

Edit:

For now I just overwrited the files. ( First Flag message: Always quit KSP before triing to overwrite files :D :D :D )

Edited by Ricardo79

I know that shouldn't be an issue about memory. I just don't like to haul things I don't really need as this KSP is so instabil already with just a handfull of mods.

I do really like this one. And the others too... without them the game would be so dull and plain.

But with this many mod (already stipped down because of instability issues) I can play mostly only an hour or less and go crashing... So I try to "optimize" and organize things to be compact and as stable as it can be.

So without any disrespect or such, If I don't have a mod (because I would need more to get a fine experience) I do not want configs/dll related to that mod (which I am missing anyway) Due to stability issues.

A few items:

1st, Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

2nd, Thank you so much for producing this mod. It is one of the few that I just will not play KSP without. You have made this game more enjoyable for all of us.

3rd, a small bug report in the RPM version of the mod. You should be able to reproduce it easily:

a) Launch two ships and have them prepare to dock with each other, with a MK1 command pod on one of them

B) Bring up DPAI on one of the MFDs in the MK1.

c) Bring up DPAI on a second MFD.

d) Return the first MFD to the home page.

e) Now the numbers and text on the second MFD will no longer update, but are frozen, until you bring up DPAI on the first MFD again or return the second MFD to home and restart DPAI.

Not a super big deal, but it can be annoying if you decide to move DPAI from on MFD to another.

(I was able to reproduce this every time with just DPAI and RPM installed.)

Again, thank you and congratulations!

Ainamogel

A few items:

1st, Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

2nd, Thank you so much for producing this mod. It is one of the few that I just will not play KSP without. You have made this game more enjoyable for all of us.

3rd, a small bug report in the RPM version of the mod. You should be able to reproduce it easily:

a) Launch two ships and have them prepare to dock with each other, with a MK1 command pod on one of them

B) Bring up DPAI on one of the MFDs in the MK1.

c) Bring up DPAI on a second MFD.

d) Return the first MFD to the home page.

e) Now the numbers and text on the second MFD will no longer update, but are frozen, until you bring up DPAI on the first MFD again or return the second MFD to home and restart DPAI.

Not a super big deal, but it can be annoying if you decide to move DPAI from on MFD to another.

(I was able to reproduce this every time with just DPAI and RPM installed.)

Again, thank you and congratulations!

Ainamogel

Thank you! Both for the congratulations and the bug report. I've put it at the top of my DPAI to-do list.

Well done, sir. Well done.

Wondering, Would it be possible to write a patch for RPM so that it (RPM) used your names for the docking ports, instead of the default (confusing) ones?

A patch, no. That would have to be done from within RPM. I could figure it out and create a pull request for them to implement. But in all honesty I don't see myself releasing anything other than a bugfix until May/June due to time limitations. if that's something you'd like to see, I would recommend bringing it up on the RPM thread and suggesting the feature to moarDV.

I know that shouldn't be an issue about memory. I just don't like to haul things I don't really need as this KSP is so instabil already with just a handfull of mods.

As was mentioned, the RAM impact will be almost nonexistent if you don't have RPM installed. If you remove any DLLs, you'll break DPAI. You could safely remove the entire JSI folder and "NavyFish\Plugins\Docking Port Alignment Indicator\RPM Configs\RPM Configs\DPAI_RPM_BasicMFD.cfg ", however.

Just checking in - how are things going with the new update? I hope no news is good news!

For me everything working normally right now. So yes This update didn't caused errors and we still love it :D

Keep up the good work. And thank you for the possibility of docking like pros.

I'm pretty sure the latest update (6.1) broke my save game. I couldn't click on the tracking station, and if I went into any of the buildings I could click on (contracts, crew hiring) it would break the menus and the only way to exit was hitting the windows key. At first I thought it was the crew roster mismatch error since it has the same symptoms but didn't have any issues there. Went through latest mods I installed since I last played, and I rolled back to the previous version and now everything works.

If you using win KSP 32 bit:

Did you checked how many memory your game uses when this happens?

I do have the same kind of problem only when 3,-3.2 gigs used up after a 2-3 hours of play.

But for me this happens with and without this mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.