[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

#1 is definitely an MJ oddity. DPAI roll alignment matches the two associated parts. Check this by docking two of the same ports, and then decouple them - you'll see that the parts are oriented the same way, just facing each other (i.e. the yellow handle is "up" for both clamp-o-trons).

Thank you for the reply. Checking on it, I see exactly what you describe, MJ's 0 degrees is in fact inverted. I'll pop over there and bring it up.

From RasterPropMonitor's, new Version 0.20.0 Public Release:

The Target Menu will use Docking Port Alignment Indicator names when DPAI is installed; otherwise, it displays the part name (such as "Clamp-o-Tron Docking Port"). Lots of internal changes on the target menu, as well.

Oh joy, let the fanfare begin. :cool: This is something I"ve been dreaming for, for a long time.

Isn't that MOARDv doing a GREAT JOB!!!!!!! maintaining RPM? Thank you!!! And Tanks to NavyFish too. I've always loved. DPAI. It's the first MOD I ever installed (I think).

Edited by nukeboyt

Sorry if this was mentioned before, but I can't get the button to integrate into the stock toolbar. It is just a grey rectangle somewhere on the upper left side of the screen. I changed forceStockAppLauncher = true and it won't work.

That's odd. Are you sure you performed a clean install of the latest version (6.2)?

Also, just to note, if you don't have blizzy's toolbar installed, you don't need to set forceStockAppLauncher = true; it will automatically be added to the stock app launcher if blizzy's toolbar isn't found.

That's odd. Are you sure you performed a clean install of the latest version (6.2)?

Also, just to note, if you don't have blizzy's toolbar installed, you don't need to set forceStockAppLauncher = true; it will automatically be added to the stock app launcher if blizzy's toolbar isn't found.

Clean install was my issue. Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Using the mod for the first time, on a biggish craft and liking it a lot, thank you. :) Still need to get to get used to it, of course.

One thing did occur to me as an idea, if it appeals to you...it would be very useful to have figures for velocity along each of the tree main axises. It would make it easier to know when to adjust the RCS rather than simply eyeballing the green lines on the screen. Just a thought...it is great as it is :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was intending to poke around and see if we can make the button only show up in the Space Center (for configuration) and just pop up the UI when a docking port is targeted... but Visual Studio is a monster and the VS2013 trial I grabbed waaaay back can't even be uninstalled (and prevents the installation of the community version)... so it'll be a while before I can contribute.

If there's enough interest, I could put in a mode where it automatically pops up whenever a port is targeted. This is how it used to work, before you could cycle through ports. Then you could just hide the button if you use blizzy's toolbar.

I greatly dislike blizzy's toolbar :/ I'm going to reinstall the OS on this machine tomorrow (or saturday) and then I should be good to go. (This is the only way to get rid of the bloody Visual Studio ......... I spent about 4 hours yesterday hunting down false leads.)

If there's enough interest, I could put in a mode where it automatically pops up whenever a port is targeted. This is how it used to work, before you could cycle through ports. Then you could just hide the button if you use blizzy's toolbar.

Perfect. I always hoped Lazor Cam would come back for two reasons: the functionality of bringing up the camera automatically when targeting a port and his picture and alignment display is bitchin'. It's awesome old-school-real-looking. His license doesn't allow derivs but there are many of us who want his old display as an optional display with your code. And to the person who hates Blizzy's bar, shame on you. May your stock bar overflow your screen.

Feature Request.... :D

It seems like half the time I dock 2 ships or ships to stations, I end up bouncing off a couple times before noticing that the ports sizes are not the same.

It would be great if when I target the docking port of the other ship, if there was some indicator that would warn that the target port does not match the size of the one on my ship that I am controlling from.

For example in my last flight I was trying to dock the Corvus Mod nosecone port to a Clamp-o-tron.... bounce... ( I guess it only fits itself or the C-o-t junior? ) Later I tried to dock a Clamp-o-tron to an MKS/OKS docking port... Bounce... (Maybe it will connect to a C-o-t senior?)

I'd not want a display element for the case (the common case, I hope) where the docking ports match, but only when there is an error.

The error could be displayed by red inward and outward arrows for too small and too large, which are only displayed when the target docking port is not the right size.

Eg <----> and >----<, maybe in form of a cross (vertical arrows as well, so it is more like a target marker).

It seems like half the time I dock 2 ships or ships to stations, I end up bouncing off a couple times before noticing that the ports sizes are not the same.

It would be great if when I target the docking port of the other ship, if there was some indicator that would warn that the target port does not match the size of the one on my ship that I am controlling from.

For example in my last flight I was trying to dock the Corvus Mod nosecone port to a Clamp-o-tron.... bounce... ( I guess it only fits itself or the C-o-t junior? ) Later I tried to dock a Clamp-o-tron to an MKS/OKS docking port... Bounce... (Maybe it will connect to a C-o-t senior?)

Haha, I constantly have the same story :D forces me to go out of IVA mode and see which type of port I'm actually approaching.

Something like that would be great...

But I would second Damerell, in it not being a permanent display element. (ie dont display if they match, only if the size mismatch is present.

As for the up or down, or inward or outward arrows, I would prefer whatever used showed the targets size. (target port too small=show down arrow or inward arrows.) as opposed to showing an up arrow (or outward arrows) indicating you need a bigger target port.

I know it not as elegent as a auto display, but have you considered that DPAI lets you rename docking ports? (Dp-Sr14) (2.5C) (Jr Alpha) etc

No need to leave IVA

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.