[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

22 hours ago, NavyFish said:

The behavior you're experiencing is intended. But many folks have expressed feeling that it seems 'backwards', so I'm considering options to reverse the display of information on the gauge. In the meantime:Realize that you're not moving the alignment indicator - the orange target is an orientation in space that you're trying to match, and (so long as your target ship isn't rotating), it does not move. Instead, you're moving the white crosshairs on the gauge. So when you yaw right with D, the white crosshairs move right relative to the fixed orange alignment indicator, making that indicator appear to move left.

In my opinion, I wouldn't change it.   If people wish to reverse things, they can re-program some of the keys.   Your explanation makes sense now, as it did back in 2013.     Love your work.

Version 6.3 Released!

Version 6.3:

• [update]  Rebuilt for KSP v1.1

No configuration options for axis flipping in the version, but probably in the next. Looking like that one will be v7.0, for no apparent reason.

Also, @nukeboyt thanks. I'm really reticent to change it, but I also get tired of explaining the "right" answer to folks. I'll probably just go with allowing that change via a config file, instead of cluttering up the settings dialog. 

Options are never a bad thing, but I'm so used to the way it is now, I think swapping axes would mess me up ROFL.  Thanks for the update NavyFish!  The Spacedock link is broken though.

Edited by Alshain

6 hours ago, NavyFish said:

Version 6.3 Released!

Version 6.3:

No configuration options for axis flipping in the version, but probably in the next. Looking like that one will be v7.0, for no apparent reason.

Also, @nukeboyt thanks. I'm really reticent to change it, but I also get tired of explaining the "right" answer to folks. I'll probably just go with allowing that change via a config file, instead of cluttering up the settings dialog. 

Thanks NavyFish!  A config file would be perfect and I imagine easier to implement than expanding an ingame menu.  I can see now how the current setup is doing more than helping align the ship... It is also representing what is actually going on in space.  If X axis for alignment were flipped so that the yaw buttons appeared to be moving the alignment icon rather than the white crosshairs,  it is now showing backwards information and kind of turns this mod into just a minigame.

That said... I spent a few hours yesterday tinkering around with the source files in an effort to flip it myself because apparently I would rather get mis-information than change my interpretation of the information :blush::lol::sticktongue:.  (haven't succeeded yet... but I know a whole lot more about C# now haha)

Thanks again for all your hard work mate!!

52 minutes ago, Uberns said:

That said... I spent a few hours yesterday tinkering around with the source files in an effort to flip it myself because apparently I would rather get mis-information than change my interpretation of the information :blush::lol::sticktongue:.  (haven't succeeded yet... but I know a whole lot more about C# now haha)

You're a brave soul! The code is a massive, tangled ball right now. Some of the next steps I'm taking are to clean it up significantly, both to ease future updates and also prepare it for hosting on github.

But I'll see if can't give you a hint when I get home tonight. Less haystack, more needles.

Well that's generous of you :D.  I figured that I would meet you half way and tell you what I had tried and maybe you could tell me what I did wrong... But when I pulled up the project and went looking for my change I realized that last night I had been fiddling around in the Rastor's area... drawIndicatorContentsRPM instead of drawIndicatorContents haha.

Adding the - in front of scaleExponentially() did the trick!

float displayX = -scaleExponentially(orientationDeviation.x / alignmentGaugeRange, alignmentExponent);

Now I just got to figure out why the 1.05 version wont build and Ill be in business :lol:.  But that is for later tonight... now its back to studying (ssshhhh dont tell anyone that I have been "multitasking" this morning)

13 hours ago, NavyFish said:

Version 6.3 Released!

Version 6.3:

Thank you! This is on my short-list of must-install mods!

4 hours ago, Uberns said:

I realized that last night I had been fiddling around in the Rastor's area... drawIndicatorContentsRPM instead of drawIndicatorContents haha.

I'm hanging my head in shame. The fact that I have two separate rendering paths - one for RPM and one for the DPAI GUI - makes me feel like a very bad, bad programmer. Unifying these is high on my list of priorities.

Anyway, glad you found the correct segment of code!

I'm using the latest version of this indispensable mod with KSP 1.1 

I seem to have lost the ability to rename ports. Has this been added to the setting options or just dropped during the upgrade to KSP 1.1?

I've used this mod for so long I'd forgotten that renaming ports was part of the mod and not stock!

Thanks.

4 hours ago, xerogravity said:

I've used this mod for so long I'd forgotten that renaming ports was part of the mod and not stock! 

Heh, that's great

The functionality works just fine on my development build. Is anyone else having this problem? Make sure you completely delete the old mod folder before installing the new one. A simple overwrite is guaranteed to screw things up. 

Okay, got it. I didn't update the Module Manager dll. Just did the NavyFish folder. My mistake, sorry for giving you a fright! ;-)

Don't know how I'd manage to build the ships I do without using this mod to dock the bits together. Makes me smile every time I watch a Soyuz dock at the ISS - just like KSP and your Mod. 

Thanks.

Ahoy NavyFish! Great mod. I have been using it for quite a long time now and its one of my standard installs. :)

A minor issue I noticed in 1.1.0 recently... upon hitting F2 to hide the GUI (for screenshots etc.) the allignment indicator window does not vanish. I often like to take screens JUST before docking contact is made and then having to remove that window manually is often causing some hectic moments for me. :wink:

As said, nothing big... but it would be nice to have that option again. Keep up the great work and thanks for your efforts. :)

29 minutes ago, NavyFish said:

Interesting. I made no changes that would affect that behavior. Do you know if this is the case with other mods?

Squad made changes tho, since the F2 command now also hides mouse cursor highlighting and on-screen text messages I think they changed the hook you may be looking for to detect the event that hides everything now - I've seen similar issues reported for other mods

Make sense, thank you.  If anyone catches wind of the correct event hook let me know and I'll put it into the next update. Hoping to push that out this weekend, a couple surprises in store for everybody :)

I am always confusen when starting maneuver so I think will be nice if there will write the buttons what i shall push to go in this direction

somethink like this :pUVI19.png

but propably in different order

the first character is yaw/pitch and second translation

Edited by Penkover

You're welcome to edit the texture files in the plugin data directory, as long as you don't change their physical dimensions any modifications you make will be loaded into your game. If you end up making a helper texture feel free to post it to this thread for others to use.

Please note,  if you plan to do this you may want to wait until this weekend. The next update will be making some changes to the texture sizes and configurations,  so you would have to redo your work.

Edited by NavyFish

1 hour ago, NavyFish said:

Please note,  if you plan to do this you may want to wait until this weekend. The next update will be making some changes to the texture sizes and configurations,  so you would have to redo your work.

If you're going to be modifying the graphics, have you considered adding the roll scale to more than just the top of the image?  I personally added it on the other three sides, but having it go fully around the display would be nice, too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.