[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

I'll look into the compatibility issue. This mod is very self-contained, and isn't modifying any global data, so it's unlikely the problem is on this end. But I'll see what I can find.

Just a quick update, work on the next version is progressing rapidly. I've implemented the course deviation needles and several other new features.

I'm going to spend a few more days with it to give it some good spit and polish, so you can expect a release by the end of the week!

I do not know if it works on older versions of KSP. Extract the zip to your GameData folder. No parts are required.

I suspect that if you are having this much difficulty with the mod and are using .20 then it is not compatible with that version.

Also, please read the thread as 2 of your 3 questions have been answered already.

-Navy

Thanks to your mod, I was able to manually dock my vehicle for the first time. Previously, I used MechJeb autopilot-dock; however, the auto-dock in the latest version is a PoS!!!!! It wastes all the monopropellant and still doesn't dock.

Once I was within 100 meters, I switched to docking mode, and your mod did the rest.

THANK YOU

Thanks to your mod, I was able to manually dock my vehicle for the first time. Previously, I used MechJeb autopilot-dock; however, the auto-dock in the latest version is a PoS!!!!! It wastes all the monopropellant and still doesn't dock.

Once I was within 100 meters, I switched to docking mod, and your mod did the rest.

THANK YOU

Yes! I'm so glad to hear that :) Congratulations :)

Version 2.0 is functionally complete, all that remains are graphical adjustments and a bit of housecleaning with the code. So to celebrate, I figured I'd give a sneak-preview of the new features in version 2.

GaugevV2.png

This is still a WIP so there are several small changes to make (for example I'll be adjusting the sizes of all of the icons, adding some roll tick marks, possibly changing the gauge crosshair a bit, etc). But if you have any major suggestions to make, now's the time to do it.

-NavyFish

This is still a WIP so there are several small changes to make (for example I'll be adjusting the sizes of all of the icons, adding some roll tick marks, possibly changing the gauge crosshair a bit, etc). But if you have any major suggestions to make, now's the time to do it.

-NavyFish

For sake of clarification, what exactly do each indicator (especially purple marker) ?

I'm not sure about it's size, original sized orange marker seemed better.

Also older orange cross-chair seemed better, this one is symmetrical, while older was showing roll, (I like small circle in center) so it would be combination of this two.

It's very nice to see this project grow ;).

Edited by karolus10

Honestly, the new version seems a bit cluttered, taking away from the simplicity of the original version. This seems to be showing a lot of information that's already available on the navball.

Much better if all information is centered at one place. If you have ever used the Lazor Docking Cam and have gotten around to becoming familiar with its indications you will know that you stop using the navball at all for docking.

It's getting better and better, NavyFish. I am considering switching to your incarnation of docking assistant entirely, since it now offers much more info.

Now if you could only add all the rvel options it would be the final thing to make me to switch - I mean x, y and z velocities :)

Also the roll indicator back would be nice, even if it is on this type of orange crosshair.

Keep up the good work!

For sake of clarification, what exactly do each indicator (especially purple marker) ?

Sure thing:

In the picture above, roll is indicated by the magenta triangle, which circles 360 degrees around the indicator. This provides far better resolution then the previous system. I did play around with extending a line from the orange alignment indicator, but it looked a bit ungainly.

The green lines together form what is called a course deviation indicator (CDI) - they indicate your ship's position relative to an imaginary line extending outward from the target docking port. In the picture above, you can see that you are below and right of course. Once those green lines are in the center of the gauge, regardless of your orientation, you are sitting on this imaginary line.

LOVE the closing velocity indicator; did my first Orbiter docking last week and was surprised how easy it was with the docking MFD, which basically provides all the same info you've got here. Closing velocity (as opposed to target relative velocity) actually tells you if you're moving toward the target. So I understand that the green crosshairs are for vertical/horizontal translation, the orange circle is for pitch/yaw rotation, and the purple arrow is for roll, but what is the yellow retrograde-like indicator for?

Orbiter docking MFD also has an approach cone indicator: a circle that you want your green cross to remain inside that gets smaller the closer you are to the target. Any chance of adding that?

EDIT: Also, what does it look like when the CDI and rotation indicator are off-screen? And I imagine the roll indicator must only appear when you're generally pointing at the target?

EDIT2: I'm guessing the yellow indicator is the tangential velocity indicator; I actually like this better than the Orbiter arrow indicator. It's easier to see when it's centered.

Edited by Mr Shifty

Sure thing:

In the picture above, roll is indicated by the magenta triangle, which circles 360 degrees around the indicator. This provides far better resolution then the previous system. I did play around with extending a line from the orange alignment indicator, but it looked a bit ungainly.

The green lines together form what is called a course deviation indicator (CDI) - they indicate your ship's position relative to an imaginary line extending outward from the target docking port. In the picture above, you can see that you are below and right of course. Once those green lines are in the center of the gauge, regardless of your orientation, you are sitting on this imaginary line.

It's very nice then ... I'd like to suggest using smaller outer circle and cross chair, orange marker is too big, but small center circle seems to be perfect size.

Also roll triangle maker could be in same color (orange) like orange pitch/yaw pointer - green color for translation is fine, but keeping as few colors possible (or even just one) will keep clean and minimalistic appeal of the indicator :).

EDIT_1: If You will use velocity vector I could suggest using green color (same like translation) and use green dot • for pro-grade and bold X mark for retrograde.

It could make markers look (only 2 colors for markers), cleaner and would nicely fit with orange marker inner circle.

Edited by karolus10

It's very nice then ... I'd like to suggest using smaller outer circle and cross chair, orange marker is too big, but small center circle seems to be perfect size.

Also roll triangle maker could be in same color (orange) like orange pitch/yaw pointer - green color for translation is fine, but keeping as few colors possible (or even just one) will keep clean and minimalistic appeal of the indicator.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respectfully disagree with all the above.

Edited by Apollo13

what is the yellow retrograde-like indicator for? ... I'm guessing it's the tangential velocity indicator

Whoops, forgot to mention that one. It depicts the prograde/retrorgrade vector projected on a plane perpedicular to the target port's approach vector. So, yes, effectively it's a tangential velocity indicator. I've found that they make using the CDI needles significantly easier.

EDIT: the icon changes from prograde to retrograde as appropriate, while remaining the same color.

The approach cone indicator sounds interesting , but not for this version.

Also, what does it look like when the CDI and rotation indicator are off-screen?

The CDI indicators actually never go off screen - instead they turn red to indicate you're on the wrong half of the docking 'hemisphere', but still provide an accurate depiction of your position relative to that imaginary line. It works quite well, you'll see what I mean soon enough!

For the alignment indicator, I'm using the same system as I was in version 1.0: when it goes off-screen, an arrow points toward it. I'm currently exploring alternative methods, however, so if anyone has inputs I'd like to hear them. Also, at least for now, the roll indicator only appears when the alignment indicator is on screen.

Edited by NavyFish

Honestly, the new version seems a bit cluttered, taking away from the simplicity of the original version. This seems to be showing a lot of information that's already available on the navball.

I agree. If there's a way to disable given markers or otherwise configure what you see, that's great.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.