[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

NavyFish,

I had to stop by to say how AWESOME this mod is. Period. It will always be installed on my setup.

The way you made it so informative in such an intuitive way is just pure genius. Now, while docking, I suprised myself not even looking at the ships no more. I keep my eyes locked your screen and BOOM right in the docking port in less than a minute or two.

The best thing is that its not even cheating ... You just provide healthy and well displayed info. Docking is now fun :)

Good work man... Really.

This mod enables and simplifies the building of multi piece interplanetary ships and space stations.  This mod ranks with Kerbal Engineering Redux, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and Transfer Window planner as essential mods that give players the info they need Plan, design, build and fly their missions with the tools available to any competent space program.

Thank you so much for the work you do on this mod.

On 12/30/2016 at 1:10 AM, ctbram said:
14 hours ago, Frag2000 said:

14 hours ago, Frag2000 said:

I will add ... I can dock in pitch black darkness now. All my docking are done in like 1 minutes or so ... 

And also, if you have RPM installed, DPAI is integrated, and you can dock from IVA handily.

Edited by nukeboyt
Disregard

7 hours ago, Birdco_Space said:

This mod enables and simplifies the building of multi piece interplanetary ships and space stations.  This mod ranks with Kerbal Engineering Redux, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and Transfer Window planner as essential mods that give players the info they need Plan, design, build and fly their missions with the tools available to any competent space program.

Thank you so much for the work you do on this mod.

KER and KAC are must-haves for me too, thank you for your kindness!

I love how this mod makes docking fun. But, I feel like I spend more time looking at the DPAI interface than I spend looking at all my ships.

Would it be possible to create a HUD option for DPAI? Essentially hide the frame, make the background invisible and center it on my screen. It may even be fun to replace the frame with something that looks like a fighter plane HUD.

Image result for HUDImage result for HUD

Edited by Tyko

Hi, I'm experiencing a compatibility bug between this mod and the VenStockRevamp mod. 

The game hangs on start up in the exact same spot every time.  The file it seems to be hanging on is;

Squad/Parts/Utility/CommsAntennaDTS-M1/CommsAntennaDTS-M1/meidumDishAntenna

Can anyone suggest a work around?  I'm really wanting to try this docking mod out.

If I uninstall the VenStockRevamp the game will load, but missing a bunch of parts so I can't play my existing save game.

Also, if I uninstall the Docking Mod, the game will resume as before, I have several mods installed, but I'm still pretty new to this game, so I'm still hashing all this out.

3 hours ago, HardKerbin said:

The file it seems to be hanging on is;

Squad/Parts/Utility/CommsAntennaDTS-M1/CommsAntennaDTS-M1/meidumDishAntenna

You are using a version of VSR compatible only with KSP 1.1.3. You need to get the latest (unofficial KSP 1.2) release of VSR from here: https://github.com/Kerbas-ad-astra/Stock-Revamp/tree/KSP_1.2

18 hours ago, Tyko said:

I love how this mod makes docking fun. But, I feel like I spend more time looking at the DPAI interface than I spend looking at all my ships.

Would it be possible to create a HUD option for DPAI? Essentially hide the frame, make the background invisible and center it on my screen. It may even be fun to replace the frame with something that looks like a fighter plane HUD.

Image result for HUDImage result for HUD

I see what you're going for, but to be perfectly honest with you, I wouldn't expect that feature to be incorporated into DPAI. A) I feel it's a bit too far outside the scope of the plugin, and B) this plugin is in a bit of a 'holding pattern' (at least for the time being), where I'm keeping on top of major compatibility issues but not presently adding new features.

That having been said, all of the code for this is open-source, so if you are feeling ambitious and wanted to create a mod of your own based off my code, I certainly would not be offended.

@ HardKerbin & Phineas Freak - sounds like it was an issue with VSR. Thanks for helping Phineas out, HK. Phineas: if you loaded an incompatible version of a plugin with the latest KSP, it may have botched your save file, especially if VSR uses module manager.  I had an 80+ hour KSP interstellar game going and ended up with a corrupt save file after a KSP update, due to a plugin that was using module manager. It was a real bummer, basically lost several vessels into thin air and the rest became incapable of docking. This is why I (since then), always copy the "stock" KSP folder (from Steam or wherever else) to a separate directory - this will prevent it from auto updating, and can serve as a backup if you want to (copy it again) and try out new mods or a new KSP version without fear of losing your save.  Good luck, and here's hoping you find a solution.

Edited by NavyFish

7 minutes ago, NavyFish said:

I see what you're going for, but to be perfectly honest with you, I wouldn't expect that feature to be incorporated into DPAI. A) I feel it's a bit too far outside the scope of the plugin, and B) this plugin is in a bit of a 'holding pattern' (at least for the time being), where I'm keeping on top of major compatibility issues but not presently adding new features.

That having been said, all of the code for this is open-source, so if you are feeling ambitious and wanted to create a mod of your own based off my code, I certainly would not be offended.

Got it..yeah, it was just an idea. I haven't quite graduated to coding yet, still dabbling with MM configs. This could be a future project.

16 hours ago, HardKerbin said:

Now all of my satellites and my space station are missing.

This is slowly getting off-topic but if you previously loaded the save and got the messages that parts from VSR were missing then the damage was already done. VSR was extensively tested to be 100% compatible between the KSP version.

• 4 weeks later...

When i activate DPAI there are a lot of entries in the Log such "

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at NavyFish.DockingPortAlignmentIndicator.determineTargetPort () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NavyFish.DockingPortAlignmentIndicator.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

"

• 2 weeks later...

Another very happy convert to this mod. New player, I had gotten competent at docking using the  Mk1 Eyeball and patience. Watched a vid by GrunfWorks where he used this mod and made docking look soo easy. So I tried it. On my first approach was safely docked within 1 minute. 

No more bumping spaceships for me :D

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Doesn't work in 1.3. Crashes game on load.

Not complaining, not asking for an update, not rushing you, just simply reporting an observation.

A lot of mods that don't add parts are still working in 1.3 despite not being updated so I assumed DAI would be fine, but sadly this isn't the case. Just thought I'd mention it.

40 minutes ago, NavyFish said:

Thank you!  I wasn't even aware that 1.3 was out.

No problem, I actually only recently started using it after @maculator recommended it to me. Up till then I was a "Mk1 Eyeball" kind of guy.

Now that I'd gotten used to having it, I'm bummed it doesn't work lol.

I don't use many mods so it was relatively easy to nail down which one was crashing the game after the update.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

51 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Now that I'd gotten used to having it, I'm bummed it doesn't work lol.I don't use many mods so it was relatively easy to nail down which one was crashing the game after the update.

I assumed from the start that all my mods were gonna be broken; fortunately, I don't use part mods so I just started doing other things while I couldn't design spacecraft, use the navigational aids i liked, and so on. Since terrain seams are fixed, I'm finally doing that big science/anomaly road trip on Duna that i had planned on doing back in April when my Kerbals touched down on the surface.

That being said, I miss being able to do the other things, but I can wait as the mods I like to use slowly get updated.

Edited by Lupi

21 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Now that I'd gotten used to having it, I'm bummed it doesn't work lol.

Same here. In fact, every time I use it, and the ships just 'dock', instead of bouncing around all over the place doing the docking-ships-mating-dance, I go "Fk yeah!".

Previously, docking was actually a really frustrating experience for me. I nailed the very first one, so I naively thought that's how the rest would be....lol, wrong. I've even just given up after bumping the other craft and sending it spinning off into the distance.

Any idea where or how to change that on CKAN?  I never update that manually, it's pushed by Spacedock.  I had to re-upload a zipfile with a missing file so I bet that's what hapenned.

EDIT  Nevermind, I think I figured it out. There was indeed an erroneous metadata file in the KCAN archive. I've submitted a PR to remove it. Out of my hands until that's mergerd, thanks for the heads up.

Edited by NavyFish

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.