[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

Looks like it's not working, even with MM 1.5.6, 2.0.1, 2.0.5, 2.0.10.

There's a KSP bug which corrupts save files when part modules are re-ordered in the save file, which might be the issue here. Unfortunately, I'm at a loss to figure it out. Hopefully this will be sorted by mid week. If not, I'll release the new version without custom port names, which is the feature that's causing this problem.

Fingers crossed!

As far as I understand it it is that the DPAI contains some configs for the parts thar are interpreted and used by MM in a way that the game does not like or is not capable of handling.

So from my perspective it is the combination from both mods.

Edited by Alewx

So...you appear to have updated the spaceport entry for DPAI, is it functional?

V3 is still current on spaceport. I won't release 4 till it's fixed because one of the new features it currently provides is save file corruption.

The bug is actually KSP's. When a part is loaded from a config file, if there is any difference in the order of modules between the config file and what a save file has, KSP freaks out and discards modules from that part.

swamp_ig is working on a fix for this, but right now MM does not handle the bug.

This evening I'll look into using MM to force my custom module to be added at the very end of the module list for docking port parts. If I can do this, it will work on existing modded installs. BUT, if someone installs the mod, then later installs another mod which adds part modules to docking ports, then uninstalls the DPAI, their save will break. I'm not sure if I like that either.

Good news and bad news.

Bad news: It doesn't look like there's a workaround for the MM bug. Therefore, I can't guarantee this won't break a save. For existing saves, it all depends on what other mods you have. It will work on new save games, regardless of other mods.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to risk releasing it at this point, because inevitably people will not heed the warnings, no matter how loud/large we make them, and then will be very upset when their save game becomes corrupted.

Good news: swamp_ig is working on an update for MM which should resolve this problem once and for all.

Bad news: He may not have it ready before I will be out of town for a month. I won't have net access at that time, so if that's the case, the v4.0 release will be delayed until mid June.

Other news: I made this video in preparation for the release, and found the bug afterward. It will show off all the nice new features you can look forward to, whenever I can release the update. It will lie to you and tell you the mod's already been released. It's not. That's what I get for trying to do it ahead of time. Ah well.

The video is unlisted on youtube, because I don't want random folks browsing YT to stumble upon it and think the new version has already been released. So this one's for you, loyal fans!

ZOMG..naming ports..

Heh, yeah.. unfortunately that's the one feature causing all the havoc, since it requires ModuleManager. It's a lot of fun to play with though, I think it'll be worth the wait.

Releasing a non-evil-persistence-breaking version is generally preferable, I'd say. >.> But you say it'll work on new saves? I want in on that action. I'm starting a new save right about nowish so that'd be great to get my paws on. (Pwetty pwease! I'll give you bug reports! Assuming I find any bugs. Given my luck, I will. Almost definitely.)

That's an amazing feature list though. Here's hoping you guys can swing it before you'll be away. If not...leave us the source. Someone might fix it up unofficially. :P

What I really like is that I was totally happy with this mod as-is. And then you go adding features I didn't even know I wanted desperately. Talk about a quality-of-life update.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Releasing a non-evil-persistence-breaking version is generally preferable, I'd say. >.> But you say it'll work on new saves? I want in on that action. I'm starting a new save right about nowish so that'd be great to get my paws on. (Pwetty pwease! I'll give you bug reports! Assuming I find any bugs. Given my luck, I will. Almost definitely.)

That's an amazing feature list though. Here's hoping you guys can swing it before you'll be away. If not...leave us the source. Someone might fix it up unofficially. :P

What I really like is that I was totally happy with this mod as-is. And then you go adding features I didn't even know I wanted desperately. Talk about a quality-of-life update.

Thanks for the comments :)

I'd rather not release it, sorry! But the good news is that you can continue using version 3.0, and once MM is updated (and once I'm back, assuming that update doesn't happen soon), you can add version 4.0 of DPAI to your game, without having to make a new one.

If it looks like the MM update won't be released in time, I WILL put out a version 3.1 that simply bundles a newer version of blizzy's toolbar (hard dependency in version 3 still, though), as that's been annoying people lately.

Ok ladies and gents, that time has come. I'll be taking off for the next month and won't be around till mid June.

The newest Module Manager version is coming along nicely, but it just isn't quite there yet. In older versions of MM, adding modules to existing parts has a good potential to corrupt a save game (this has to do with a bug in KSP itself), and version 4.0 of DPAI does just that.

So, unfortunately, that means you'll have to wait another month to play with these new features. I've considered various options such as opening up a repo on GitHub and giving someone team access, releasing a "use at your own risk" version, etc. But in the end, I want to maintain a rock-solid product that's easy to use and reliable, even if that means having to delay some new features for another 30 days. Another major consideration is that I'd like to be available in the week or two after a major release such as this, to address any particular bugs that may appear. I'm confident with my work, but I'm one person, on one OS, on just a few KSP installations (Vanilla, Vanilla + some mods, Vanilla + LOTS of mods (my daily play install :))) - there's simply no way to verify compatibility with every platform and every mod configuration out there, which is where you guys come in!

So with that said, I hope you enjoy the rest of May, and I'll be back shortly, bearing gifts of plugin-able goodness! See you again soon!

-Navy

Edited by NavyFish

And the really cool thing is, it gives you more time to pay attention to the actual docking procedure - and when you are able to do that, you will eventually start to learn other things that help your docking too! For instance, watch the navball as you manipulate the position of the DPAI's prograde marker. I would dare to say that with enough use, a pilot could begin to dock in IVA with the navball only (I'll still keep the DPAI though because I just love the way it works!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.